Chapter Eight: This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race

I paced around the apartment, full of excess energy. The night before had been such a great success, with Buffy agreeing to join my workforce and her acceptance of my kiss, even if it was only on the cheek. Now, in the warm sunshine streaming though my bedroom window, I was beginning to freak out. And I had no idea why.

Eventually, I sat down on my bed and pulled out my 'Compendium of Poetry' I had been working on since I was just a kid. I flicked to the most recent pages of writing, scanning over the words as if they held the meaning to this new trepidation.

It was then, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Nothing that had ever fallen into my lap, as Buffy seemed to have, came without some kind of price.

I shook my head, as if to get rid of that train of thought, and dug my phone out of my jeans. There was only one thing I could think to do to ease the stress a little, and that was to call her. I searched through my contacts, finding her name easily, and pressed the button.

I held it up to my ear while it rang for what seemed like forever. Eventually, her voice appeared on the other end. Unfortunately, it was only her voicemail message informing me to leave a message and she'd reply as soon as she could. Sparing myself the embarrassment of leaving a message, I hung up and threw my phone onto the bed next to me. Within seconds, the opening of 'I Wanna Be Sedated' was blaring out from next to me.

I quickly picked it up and answered. "Buffy?"

I heard a laugh then "Yes, it's me. Sorry I missed your call, what's up?"

I pondered the best thing to say that didn't sound like I was a complete ponce. "I was just wondering when you wanted to start work. We did say we'd sort out all the details today, unless another time is more convenient?"

Buffy giggled. "No, now's fine, when did you have in mind?" After a couple of second's contemplation, I came up with an offer. "Monday, 'round 9 o'clock good for you?"

"Yes, that's perfect," she replied. We said our goodbyes, and I put the phone down feeling much calmer from just having a conversation with her. I turned once again to my poetry, inspired to write while I was on an emotional high. I wrote until I fell asleep on the pages, waking up the next morning with them stuck to my face, and ink stains everywhere.

Monday morning seemed to drag in arriving, but at last came. I got to the shop at 7 to make sure everything was ready for Buffy's first day, all of the paperwork I could do was done and the shop was generally in ship shape. At 8, Tara arrived, unsurprised I had obviously been there longer than usual. Wesley and Andrew arrived together a little later. By the time Buffy appeared at the door at 8:55, there was nothing more to be done than physically train her, and all of the daily shop business.

I started by getting her reacquainted with the layout of the shop, both of us smiling when we passed the poetry section. I assisted her in dealing with the queries of her first few customers, then sent her to be till trained by Anya when she arrived just after half 9. Being till trained took Buffy most of the morning, so the next chance I got to speak to her was when she took her lunch. I checked she was getting on okay, and she replied with the most dazzling smile and said "Everything is perfect".

Soon, her lunch break was over, and I sent her off to be buddied by Tara in the afternoon. While I would have loved to do it myself, I understood that a) I was the boss, and would probably make Buffy feel more nervous about doing something wrong, and b) she needed to interact with more people. Tara was a great place to start, especially with how similar she and Buffy were with their unexpected fire. It provided a killer combination with customers of all ages and backgrounds. Most of the customers they served left with the book they had come in for, plus something extra recommended by what I was quickly nicknaming my own 'Dynamic Duo'.

At long last, it was getting to the end of the day. Tara had already gone home earlier, as had Andrew and Wesley, leaving Anya, Buffy and myself to do the preparation for closing. I was just going through the list of books customers wanted ordered in, when the bell on the door rang. I looked up to see Xander wandering in, and beginning to start up a conversation with Buffy, who was sorting out the book displays. After a quick check of my watch, I walked over and locked the door, smiling and giving a greeting to him.

Xander replied in his usual cheerful manner "Hey Bleach Boy, where's that lovely wife of mine?"

I smiled at the good natured insult. "She's out the back cashing up, you know what she gets like around money!"

Xander nodded in recognition. "Yup, dances and sings about it!"

Buffy looked between the two of us in disbelief. "You're kidding, right?"

Xander simply smiled and said "Spike, why don't you show Buffy what we mean?" I winked at Buffy, and gestured to her to follow me. When we got near the back rooms, I placed my finger over my lips to show Buffy to be quiet.

Sure enough, the distinct sound of Anya singing "I love the money, and the money loves me!" was echoing from the cashing up desk. Buffy and I poked our heads round to see the source on the noise, and there she was, dancing around like a madwoman. Buffy looked at me, and struggled to not laugh. I smirked at her and led her back out onto the shop floor, where she immediately doubled over guffawing.

Anya chose that moment to come out onto the shop floor. "What's wrong with Buffy?" she inquired. Xander and I glanced to each other, then to Anya, and gave our most innocent looks.

"Nothing!" we chorused.

Anya looked at us suspiciously. "You told her about the cashing up song and dance, didn't you?" Buffy laughed even harder, tears coming out of her eyes. I looked to Xander, who shrugged. "Yes," I admitted sheepishly, "And then I took her into the back to spy on you while you were doing it."

Anya rolled her eyes. "Honestly, when will you two ever get over the money song and dance?"

Xander immediately responded "When it stops being funny!" which set us all off in new waves of laughter, including Anya. Soon after, we all walked out the door, and I locked it behind me. I walked Buffy home, asking her about her first day as we went, and figuring out what shifts to put her on for the week. She also invited me to her set on Friday, the first time I'd ever had an actual invite to one of her performances. I asked if I could bring Tara, as she had heard me talk about Buffy's singing, and wanted to hear it for herself. Buffy assured me she didn't mind. We reached her door, and she unlocked and opened it. I kissed her on the cheek and said goodnight. Instead of turning away from me, Buffy leaned in and gave me the slightest peck on the lips.

"Goodnight Spike" she whispered, and disappeared in a whirlwind through her front door, leaving me standing on the pavement in shock.