Chapter Nine: The Take Over, The Break's Over

My first day at Spike's bookshop was amazing. Everyone was so inviting and friendly, just as they were before, and Anya's money song/dance incident was hilarious. But even so, I can't to this day work out why I kissed Spike at the end of it, rather than at any other time I'd seen him. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

Unfortunately, it also became the reason I panicked about seeing him again. What if he wanted me to explain why? What if he hadn't wanted me to kiss him? So, I just wrote and wrote, eventually filling up half a notebook with song lyrics and ideas.

The next time I saw him was at my performance. I had arrived with Willow, and saw Tara and Spike arrive just as I started up the stairs to the stage. Far quicker than I would have liked, my set was over and I was heading towards the small group. Willow and Tara were engaged in animated conversation, with Spike looking on, seemingly in bemusement. As the trio realised my presence, they all turned to hug me.

With Tara and Willow, this felt natural, but with Spike it felt much more awkward than he had ever made me feel before. However, before we could even discuss my actions the last time he had seen me, a blonde bimbo barrelled into him. She looked like she was dressed to enter a 'Slutty Barbie lookalike' competition with a tacky pink crop top and what I assume was a skirt, but looked more like a belt. To finish off the look…pink sparkly knee high boots.

"Oh Spike," she simpered, "I'm so happy to see you. I can't stop thinking about our night together!" Her outfit had been offensive enough, but hearing her voice, and what she said, I wanted to punch her in the jaw. I tore my eyes away from her to look at Spike, who was wearing the classic 'deer in the headlights' expression.

"Come dance with me Spikey!" Barbie continued, and went to lead him onto the dance floor. Spike came to his senses and tried to pull away, explaining to 'Harmony' that the night she referred to had been a mistake. This made her think he was playing hard to get, and eventually, I lost my patience and stepped in.

"Listen, I don't care if Spike slept with you once, but he obviously doesn't want your company tonight so please, just leave us alone."

Being a dumb blonde cliché, she still didn't get the message, believing me to be a substitute for her. Spike responded by pulling me into his arms, and slowly edging his lips down to mine , both of us visibly relaxing when they at last met. This surprise reaction shut Harmony up immediately…not that Spike or I really noticed, as what started as a peck on the lips turned into a full on incredible make out session. Eventually, Spike pulled away, leaving us staring at each other, grinning.

It wasn't until Tara and Willow tried to inform us that Harmony had been gone for some time we realised we should probably talk about what had just happened. He escorted me to a table and we talked through this recent development in our friendship. We came to the conclusion that while neither of us was truly ready for a real relationship, the intimacy was nice, so it would become more of a 'friends with benefits' arrangement, but Spike insisted we wouldn't go any further than making out, and that the arrangement was exclusive. If one of us wanted to date someone else, the arrangement would stop. This only made me swoon for him more, damn his perfect English gentleman ways.

Talking of which, after the serious conversation was over, he again asked me to dance. We were two dances in and really enjoying ourselves when a blast from my past suddenly cut in. And that's when everything got boring.

Riley Finn. The last time I had seen him was at our high school graduation, and he apparently wanted to do the whole "It's been a while, why don't we catch up?" malarkey. Spike just stood there, looking annoyed our dance had been interrupted. I couldn't blame him, but Riley was a nice guy, even if he was like watching paint dry. So, the three of us got a table. Riley and I caught up. Well, he caught up, I tried not to fall asleep, or laugh at the faces Spike was making behind Riley's back while I explained what I had been doing since high school.

After an hour or so, Riley finally left, leaving Spike and I in peace. As soon as he was out of hearing range, Spike turned to me and asked "Why didn't you just tell the git to bugger off?"

I rolled my eyes and elbowed him in the ribs. "Because he defended me in high school when I was picked on for being a geek, anyway, you could've told him to go away yourself."

Spike went quiet for a second, bowed his head and mumbled "Didn't want to get on your bad side for a second time tonight."

I was suddenly reminded of the Harmony incident earlier on in the evening. After all the things I had worried about going wrong tonight, I had not expected a girl with the IQ of a jelly doughnut and Riley to be two of them.

I lifted Spike's chin with two fingers, and stared deep into his eyes. "You weren't on my bad side," I chastised, "But if I have to deal with Harmony again, she can 'say hello to my little friend!'" Spike laughed at my rubbish impression, and immediately responded "Well, nobody puts baby in a corner!" From behind me, I heard Willow's voice retaliate "I feel the need…" Tara chimed in "The need for speed!"

This spontaneous movie quote marathon continued while Spike and Tara walked Willow and I home. As Spike and I shared a small kiss goodnight, I noticed Willow and Tara blushing furiously, and acting more like was the end of a date than two friends saying goodbye. Spike caught me watching and smirked. Willow and I said our final goodbyes and went through the door. As it closed behind us, we let out girlish squeals, grabbed one another and bounced up and down.