“He's demented!”

Willow looked across Xander's dining room table into her best friend's red face.

“First he orders some Buffybot sex slave and now he's creating magickal babies!” Xander hollered. “He's demented and depraved and...and...a pervert!”

Tara nervously looked from the dark haired man's face to that of her confused lover's. “W-Wait--”

Willow came to a conclusion. “Why else would he have needed a protection spell tonight?” she asked softly. “I think he's hiding something.” She frowned. “Oh, and poor Dawnie! To get her involved in all this!” she cried. “There must be a way to reverse a protection spell.” She glanced at Tara. “With power as strong as ours together I don't think it will be so feat-y.”

The blonde haired girl frowned at her girlfriend. “I-I think this is exactly why Spike enacted a protection spell.” She took a deep, shuddering breath and slowly blew it out. “I helped him,” she admitted, her voice small.

“What?!” Xander shrieked.

“Baby, you have to lift it!” Willow cried.

“W-Why?” Tara begged. “Willow, whether she was produced magickally or not, she's still a baby. You couldn't have missed her aura. There was nothing dangerous about her. She's just a child!” She shook. “And I saw that l-look on your f-face back at the house, Willow.” She bit her bottom lip. “I-It scared me.”

“Baby, please lift it. At least let's check if she's really Buffy's.”

Despite her timidity, Tara was resolute. “W-We could always go to a doctor for a DNA test.”

“Yeah, bringing a baby over to a doctor's office when the thing has no real registration that she actually exists!” Xander yelled. “Immunizations, social security, a piece of paper that says she was actually birthed...”

Anya had been uncharacteristically quiet until now. “What if Spike took care of all of that?” She shrugged at Xander and Willow's skeptical faces. “Instead of driving ourselves crazy I think the easiest thing to do is ask.”

“Sh-She's right,” Tara said, sitting straighter. “Spike came to us tonight in confidence. He invited everyone, including Giles. I-I don't think this is some ploy or him being m-manipulative. I think he required our trust in this.”

Willow still looked devastated. “But baby, why did you help him?”

Her girlfriend shook her head. “I helped before I knew about Margaret. Dawn told me last night that she was babysitting at the house and she wanted to make sure that the baby was safe. I put two and two together when Spike came in to the Magic Box looking for a protection spell and thought he was just helping Dawnie.” She stared at Willow. “And honey, you know I love you, but that look in your eye tonight... I just hope y-you aren't th-thinking of bringing the girl harm.” Tara pursed her lips. “Sh-She's a baby, Willow. She might have been cr-created out of s-supernatural forces, but she still has a clean slate. She's innocent.”

Willow didn't look too sure, and that scared her.

“I-It's late,” Tara said softly. “I'm going to go.”

The redhead looked alarmed. “We're going back to the house together, aren't we?”

“I'm going to stay at the dorm,” Tara said. “If you c-can't give me a straight answer about how you feel about this baby, whether it's your b-best friend Buffy's or not, I-I don't think I can be around you right now.”

Anya stood. “I'll drive you.”

Xander shot his girlfriend a withering look. “Ahn?”

“Be back later, Xander,” she said briskly, pocketing the car keys and heading for the door with Tara.

Outside in Xander's 4x4, Tara and Anya were sitting in a tense silence. They hadn't left the driveway yet. Tara was staring at her lap and Anya was fiddling with the keys.

“I-I'd always wanted children,” Anya admitted, staring at the steering wheel.

Tara looked at her, eyes wide.

“I thought that with Xander I'd have that opportunity. But with the way he's acting, condemning a tiny human baby...” She gave Tara an ironic look, chuckling dryly. “And I'm the ex-demon.”

“I-I need to protect them,” Tara whispered. “A-And I think myself.”

Anya knew exactly who she spoke of. “Magic Box?”

The blonde nodded jerkily. “Yes, please.”

Tara was exhausted after blanketing a protection spell on herself, Anya, Dawn, and Spike. They weren't sure yet where Giles stood. Tara wanted to speak with him before jumping to any conclusions, and Anya wanted to try to convince Xander that Willow was thinking irrationally.

Feeling safer after casting the protection spell, Tara had Anya drive her back onto Revello Drive. The tableau she walked into filled her with awe.

On the couch, Spike was sound asleep beside Dawn, who was resting her head on his shoulder. Giles was holding baby Margaret in his arms, feeding her a bottle.

“Mmm mm mmm mmm,” Margaret hummed happily, patting the bottle Giles was holding to her mouth.

“Hi,” Tara said, smiling.

Giles smiled back at her. “Hello.”

“Sh-She's a spitting image of Buffy, isn't she?” she murmured softly.

The Watcher nodded. “Indeed she is.”

She made a cautious step forward. “D-Did you ever have any doubt?”

His faced pulled down into a frown. “I did.”

“But...?” she whispered.

“Then I realized that we are on the Hellmouth, and a baby being created from a fallen Slayer and a master vampire isn't so far fetched,” he said, averting his gaze. “Whether she was born for prophetic reasons or not, she... She is somewhat of a miracle.” He turned his head to the pair sleeping on the couch. “Perhaps we should get Dawn into bed already.” Giles glanced at his wristwatch. “It's a half hour past eleven.”

Tara knelt in front of the teenager, gently shaking her shoulder. Dawn stirred, opening her eyes. “Want to head upstairs, Dawnie?”

The dark haired girl took a deep breath and looked up at the sleeping vampire beside her. She nodded, her eyes still glassy with sleep as she stood and made her way upstairs.

Tara put her hand on Spike's shoulder. “Spike,” she called out.

He blinked himself awake and stood up. “Wha'?”

“You staying here tonight? I don't know where you want to put Margaret.”

He nodded. “I think I'll just go home. Don' want to be stuck here when the calvary shows up, and the bloody sun.”

Giles gently putting the now-sleeping Margaret in the vampire's waiting arms.

“Did she wake?” Spike asked, rubbing his face.

The Watcher nodded. “I fixed her some formula. She drank about four ounces before falling asleep again.”

The vampire raised his eyebrows. “You're adept at this. You ever 'ad kids?”

Giles shook his head, smiling sadly. “No. Just adept at reading measurements and following directions.”

Spike grinned. “I 'ave a babysitter, then?”

The other Brit laughed. “I was... I actually had an announcement tonight. I was going to leave for England to do a bit of...”

“Brooding?” Spike deadpanned.

Giles carded his fingers through his hair. He nodded. “I think... I do believe I'll stay.”

“I'm sorry to interrupt the warm feelings,” Tara interjected, wringing her hands, “but Willow wants a DNA test.”

A muscle in Spike's jaw ticked. “Thought that'd happen.” He looked at Giles. “Was prepared to hear it from you, though.” He walked to a messenger bag sitting by the couch, taking a leaf of paper from it. “This is a copy. Tell 'er to feast 'er eyes. S'just mine. Don' quite know how she'll retrieve the Slayer's. Pretty sure Dawn's will be a close match. Ask the 'Bit. M'sure she'll be happy to oblige.”

“I believe you,” Tara said softly.

“Thank you,” Spike murmured earnestly.