Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much for your reviews! I'm glad you like this story. Enjoy this next chapter and let me know how you liked it.
This chapter has not been beta'd.
Chapter 4
She found him sitting on the couch with his legs stretched over the coffee table watching TV. Sensing her coming up behind him he asked,

“Is Captain Forehead settled in alright?”

“Yes. Angel’s all set in Willow’s room.”

“Oooh, that’s the room next to mine. And farthest from you.”

“No. That’s the room next to Dawn’s. Your room is in the basement, remember?”

“Lucky for me the bit’s sleeping over Janice’s tonight.”

“What? When did that happen? She didn’t ask me.”

“Bit asked Willow yesterday ‘fore she an’ Tara left on their trip. Going to her bestie’s after work tonight.”

“Willow,” Buffy practically growled. “Fine, but don’t you dare touch Angel. If you hurt him, I will stake you on the spot, got it? There will be no fighting while he is here. Not the physical kind or the talky kind.”

“Bloody hell, Slayer do you think I’d do something like that to you? Know how much it’d hurt you if I even came close to hurting the mighty poofter. Do you think I’d be the cause of your pain? What was the point of last night then?”

She felt her face turn bright red with chagrin. She didn’t know why she’d reacted like that. Old habits she figured, but there was no way she was going to apologize to him after he’d just yelled at her like that.

“Look, Spike. I don’t have the time or the patience to get into this with you. I’m tired and I’m going to my room!” She turned around so quickly that her hair flicked against his face.

“Fine, Slayer, go ahead and do what you do best. Run away!”

He heard her bedroom door slam shut and threw himself on the couch again, his arms crossed against his chest. What did he have to do to make her be Buffy again?
She marched up the stairs to her room, making sure to give him two or three steel glances before slamming her bedroom door shut for the second time that day. Once she was in, she let the tears come. Before she knew it, she was sobbing into her pillow. There were so many emotions pent up inside her that she felt as if she were falling apart. Now with Angel’s arrival, she felt as if she were being torn in two. Part of her wanted to figure out what there was between she and Spike, while the other part of her wanted to run into Angel’s comforting arms which she knew so well. Arms that she knew would never turn on her like another vampire’s might. Arms that don’t make your entire body tingle and tremble the way Spike’s do. That thought made her cry harder into her pillow. A knock on her door forced her to pull it together.

“Buffy? Are you okay in there?” Angel’s concerned voice made her feel even guiltier about wanting Spike.

Swallowing hard and trying to gain some control over her voice, she said, “Yes Angel, I’m fine.”

He frowned at the door, knowing that she was not fine, but understanding how stubborn she could be when it came to accepting help.

“Buffy?”

“Yeah?”

“If you need me for anything, to talk or just for company, you know where I am. Come find me.”

“Okay.”

She lifted her head off the pillow and tried to sense his presence. He stood at the door for about another minute then walked away. When she couldn’t feel him anymore, she threw her head back down and continued crying. It was as if all of the last month’s feelings of anger, resentment, and confusion were coming out of her all at once. She cried and cried until she had no more energy left and fell asleep.
**********************************************************
When she woke again it was to shoot up from the bed into a sitting position. Her forehead was sweaty and she gasped hard for air. She quickly looked down at her hands turning them over as she examined them.

“No blood. Just a dream. No blood.” She needed to remind herself in order to keep the hysteria at bay.

She threw her blankets off and began pacing across the room thinking about how to possibly get back to sleep. Looking out the window she saw that it was dark out. Looking down at her clothes, she decided that if she changed into something more comfortable maybe she’d be able to get back to sleep. Buffy glanced at the bed and sighed. There was no way she was going to fall back asleep and be nightmare free, but she was so tired.

There was just one thing to do. She opened the door to her room and walked toward his as quietly as possible. She stopped when she reached the door and wondered if she should knock. Shaking her head she decided against it. It would just be easier to slip in; this way there wouldn’t have to be any talking. She only wanted to sleep now.

She walked into his room as quietly as she could and looked at him on the bed. Dead. Vampires didn’t breathe, and didn’t even bother with pretense when they slept. How can I seek comfort from a dead body? She shrugged and walked over to the bed. Being careful not to wake him, she slowly moved his arm and pulled the covers down. She tucked herself in, snuggling up to him and laying her head on the pillow. Without waking up, on instinct, he turned toward her so that his chin rested just over her head. He put his other arm around her, making Buffy smile at the comfort he provided and was asleep within minutes.