Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much for all of your reviews!
Chapter 5

“Ugh,” She whined as the alarm went off. She slammed the button on the clock to stop its incessant noise.

“Umm, Slayer,” Spike mumbled as he turned on the bed. Buffy smiled as she ran her hand through his platinum curls and kissed his cheek. “My sweet, soft, Slayer,” he continued. “Mine.”

Buffy giggled at the ‘big strong vampire’ and watched him begin to growl in his sleep again. She swung her legs to the floor and heaved a deep sigh as she pulled herself up. She went to the bathroom and turned the shower on. As soon as she was under the hot water she let her tears flow. Once she started she couldn’t stop. What would happen to her? What about her family and her friends? She had no time for this. No self-pity allowed. She had to get ready for surgery.

Once she was dressed and ready to go, Buffy walked over to Spike and gave him one last kiss before she left. She quickly wrote him a note telling him she would be training with Giles in the desert. She knew he’d protest to her training after yesterday’s ordeal, but he wouldn’t be able to reach her in the desert. She only hoped she would be back by noon with good news.
*********************************************************

She arrived at the hospital right on schedule. As she walked in the door she paused and allowed her eyes to wander about the room hoping to see a familiar face. She didn’t. It’s just as well. If he were here it would give me an excuse to feel sorry for myself. She took a step toward the registration desk and felt someone grab her arm. She turned around quickly, her fist ready to throw a punch. He stopped it with his hand.

“Well, good to see this little tumor problem hasn’t affected your reflexes.”

“Angel.” She couldn’t stop the smile of relief that spread across her face.

“I told you I’d be here.” He smiled back at her.
She threw her arms around him and hugged him tighter than she’d intended. He allowed himself to be hugged but was unable to hug her back. She noticed and understood. Feeling a little ashamed for putting him in such a painful position she took a step back.

“Sorry.” She looked down at the floor while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

“It’s okay, Buffy. Are you ready for this?”

She looked back up at him wide eyed and nodded. He put his arm around her and helped her register.
Once they were registered, they were ushered to a room where Buffy listened to her doctor review the procedure with her again. She couldn’t concentrate on his words, choosing instead to look at Angel who gave her a reassuring look. He saw how small and frail she looked sitting in her hospital gown with her hands on her lap. He couldn’t tell if it was the look on her face or her pigtails that made her look like a vulnerable little girl. He was overcome with the need to gather her in his arms and protect her from all of the world’s evil. But that was no longer his job; it was for Spike to do now.

“Okay, Ms. Summers, you may lay on the stretcher now and we’ll wheel you over to the prep room.”
Buffy nodded and lay down, not once moving her eyes away from his. The doctor noticed this and stepped in front of Angel.

“No one is allowed in the prep room Sir. Why don’t you say goodbye to your girlfriend and we’ll find you when the procedure is done.”

“She’s not my girlfriend.”

“Oh. I’m sorry, I just assumed.”

Angel didn’t know why he’d felt the need to say that. The doctor didn’t care. Maybe he needed to hear it out loud so he could come to terms with it. Shrugging his shoulders he walked to Buffy and took her hand. “Everything will be okay.”

She gave him a wavering smile. “How did you get in? There aren’t many sewers here. How did you get past the sun?”
Angel looked over to the doctor a worried look on his face. Did she forget he was still there?

“She’s being medicated.” The doctor nodded toward the IV in Buffy’s arm.

Angel sighed in relief. He grabbed his coat to imply he'd run under its cover. “The old fashioned way.”

She smiled at him and he could tell the drugs were kicking in. He kissed her forehead as the nurses rolled her out of the room.

“I love you, Spike,” she mumbled as she zoned out.

“Spike. She loves Spike.” Angel had to remind himself that she was not his anymore.

He turned and walked toward the waiting room where he would sit for the next few hours.
*******************************************************
Spike turned on his side and put his hand out expecting to feel Buffy cuddle up against him. He felt the empty mattress instead. He sat up and looked around the room. Seeing the note next to the alarm clock he grabbed it and let out a growl when he finished reading it.

“Buffy, you knew I wouldn’t be able to get you in desert didn’t you, pet?” He let out a sigh and put the note down. He guessed he’d have nothing else to do but trust her in this. He turned on the bed, grabbed her pillow and tucked it behind his head. If he couldn’t sleep next to her, he’d at least make sure her scent was close by.
********************************************************
Two hours had come and gone and still Angel sat in that awful waiting room. He had been waiting patiently but now his patient was starting to wear thin. He couldn’t stand having no control over Buffy’s well-being. He’d always protected her, even when she didn’t want him to. Even after he’d moved to L.A. he’d kept tabs on her. He always kept close because he’d always loved her and he hoped she would always love him, even now he hoped that she still loved him.

Angel stood up and was ready to begin pacing when he noticed the frowns his fellow “waiters” gave him. He made them nervous. Tall, dark, dressed in black, brooding and pacing back and forth in a tiny waiting room made him look like the predator that he was. He smiled awkwardly at the older man sitting next to him then noticed Buffy’s doctor

walking toward him.

“Mr. Spike?”

Angel clenched his fists in anger and between gritted teeth said, “No, not Spike, Angel.”

“Sorry. Are you here with Ms. Summers?”

“Yes.”

“Sorry about the confusion. She’s been asking for Spike all along.”

“How is she?” Angel ignored the doctor’s comment and changed the subject.

“She’s okay. A little groggy but coming along fine. Surprisingly well, actually. She’s a fast healer.”

Angel smiled. Slayer healing always threw the doctors for a loop. “Can I see her? Do you know what it was, what was wrong I mean?”

“You can see her. We are going to start tests on the tumor now. We won’t have a conclusive answer for a while and once we do, we’ll want to speak with Ms. Summers privately.”

“I understand.” Angel nodded his head then turned to find Buffy’s room.

“Don’t you want to know which one’s her room?” The doctor called after him.

“I’ll find it.” He knew Buffy’s scent. He’d never forget it.