Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry this update has taken so long. I've been very busy with work and kids. Thank-you for continuing to read.
Chapter 7

“Well, I see that Captain Forehead didn’t waste any time putting the moves on my girl.” Spike let out a growl and was on Angel in an instant, ripping him away from his girl and throwing him against the wall before Buffy could blink. In a blur he moved over to Angel and pinned him up against the wall, his hand wrapped around the vampire’s neck.

“Spike!” Buffy screamed. “Stop!”

The blonde vampire looked over to her and saw the despair in her eyes. He was angry at her for what she’d done but he couldn’t stand disappointing her. “Keep your paws off of her,” he growled before letting his grandsire go.
He watched as the wanker walked over to the chair by her bed and sat down leaning back in his chair and making himself comfortable as if he belonged there.

“How did you know I was here?” Buffy’s voice was soft, almost a whisper.

“It appears that Angel’s girlfriend is quite the chatterbox. ‘Specially when receiving compliments.”

“Cordy,” Angel muttered under his breath.

“Cordelia?” Buffy looked at Angel with an arched brow.

He knew that look. She thought he’d kept something from her, like the fact that Cordelia was his girlfriend. She wasn’t. He shook his head at her to let her know Spike was talking through his ass.

“She called to see how Angel was doing and wanted to know if he had “made it” with you or if you were too sick to do it. Apparently my Slayer has something more serious than the flu.” He looked on at her accusingly.

His face was hard. He was angry and hurt and wanted badly to make Angel pay. He didn’t know what to think of her behavior. He felt betrayed by her. He decided to push his feelings down and deal with the more pressing matter, her health. Her feelings toward him and the reason for her decision would have to wait. He looked at her sitting on the bed, her eyes fixed on his, wearing a hospital gown and pigtails. Her eyes and face were red from what must have been a lot of crying. He looked over at Angel, then back at her. Why had she chosen his grandsire to trust with whatever it was she was dealing with? Why not him? Hadn’t she given herself entirely just one day ago? He shook his head, forcing himself to deal with the present and leave those questions for later.

“I didn’t want to hurt you.” Buffy’s voice was stronger when she answered his question as if she’d read his mind.

“You were such a mess the first time I- I didn’t want to worry you until I knew. I wanted to keep you safe.”

He walked over to her with urgency and sat on the bed. Taking her hand in his he said, “This is serious then?”

She could see the worry in his eyes as he looked intently into hers and held her hand firmly. “I don’t know yet. We’ll find out soon. They’re doing tests on the tumor they removed from the back of my neck.” She was serious and firm as she told him. Her emotions were in check making Angel feel like gloating a little. It made him happy to know that he was the one she trusted with her feelings.

Spike’s hand touched Buffy’s cheek. “Baby.”

She looked deep into his eyes, it was a look that worried Angel because he’d never seen it before. As he continued to watch the couple he understood why. This look was only for Spike. They remained looking at each other for what seemed like an eternity and Angel felt awkward watching them, but found it impossible to look away.

“Mine,” Spike whispered to her. She nodded her head in agreement.

He took her in his arms and she allowed him to. Angel looked at her and watched as her eyes closed. When Spike moved his mouth to her neck, Angel’s eyes widened in shock. He watched as Spike lingered there, taking in her scent and softly licking the mark he had so recently placed on her. Would she let him take her blood right here in the hospital? He wouldn’t get the chance to find out. The door swung open and Buffy’s doctor walked in.

“Ms. Summers, Angel.” He nodded as Spike and Buffy quickly separated and straightened out.

The doctor looked Spike over from head to toe. “You must be Spike.”

Spike eyed the doctor maliciously and said, “Yeah, what of it?”

“I’ve heard a lot about you.”

Spike allowed a smile to spread over his face, happy to know his slayer hadn’t entirely abandoned him. Buffy gave Angel a quizzical look and he smiled because she didn’t remember having asked for Spike under her anesthetic.

“If you gentlemen will excuse me,” the doctor continued.

“I need to speak with Ms. Summers privately.”

Angel gave Buffy a look while Spike tightened his grip on her hand, each vampire asking her to let him stay in his own way. She sighed and gave each of them a look.

“Can I have a minute? I need to hear this on my own.”

“Understood.” Angel nodded, respecting her decision even if he didn’t like it.

Spike looked at Buffy and tilted his head to the side. She smiled at him and nodded. He gave her a kiss on her forehead and another one on her cheek, then stood up and left the room. Angel watched in amazement. He could not understand how the two had come to this silent communication.The blood. It hurt him to know he would never have that level of communication with her. Yes, he’d tasted her blood, but it had been against his will, not the same as what she had shared with Spike. Their relationship had failed because of their lack of communication. They had never been able to really understand each other. It hurt him all the more to know she had so much control over Spike. That their love for each other had become so strong that he had let himself be tamed by her.

Angel gave her one last look and she gave him an understanding smile, as if she understood his pain and silently apologized for causing it. He smiled back at her and left the room shutting the door behind him.

“Well, Ms. Summers, you are certainly a girl with many doting friends.” The doctor walked over to the only other chair in the room and sat down.

“Please, doctor, give me the news.”

He looked at her and nodded. This woman looked small and vulnerable, but something told him there was much more to her than her appearance. He had seen scars on her neck and upper body; it looked as though she had withstood a lot. She had gotten over the surgery surprisingly fast and he noticed that her bandages were no longer bleeding. This woman was different, he sensed that. He knew she could handle what he had to tell her.

“Ms. Summers, I usually take a little longer to do this, but I’m going to be honest with you. I get the feeling that you can handle it.” She nodded at him and took a deep breath. “Ms. Summers, you do not have cancer.”

“What? Say that again, please?”

“You don’t have cancer. However-“

“There it is.” There had to be something else.

“However, because you’re mother had cancer and because we’ve found this tumor, you are at high risk for getting cancer.”

Buffy slumped down on the bed. There would always be something in her life, things would never be perfect.

“This means you will have regular checkups. But for now, Ms. Summers, you are quite healthy, extraordinarily healthy, in fact. Would you like to go ahead and tell those gentlemen out there that they have nothing to worry about?”

They were suddenly interrupted by a body flying in through the door. Buffy screamed as she watched Angel crash into the wall.

“NO!” she screamed when she saw Spike stalk in after him, his game face on.

“I told you, you’ve overstayed your welcome. It’s time to go home to L.A. now, grandsire.”

Buffy covered her mouth and shook her head in disbelief. She watched the doctor run out of the room screaming when Angel’s face changed and he jumped at Spike.

“No!” she screamed again.
Both vampires stopped and looked at the woman they loved as she stared at them in disbelief. “What is wrong with you? Why can’t you get along? Why can’t you get along now when I need you the most? All you had to do was get along!”

“Buffy,” Angel took a step toward her at the same time

Spike said, “Pet,” and extended his hand out for her to take.

She swatted it away. “Don’t touch me. Leave me alone!” She shook her head at them in disappointment then ran out the door. She was barefoot and still wearing her hospital gown.

“Now look what you’ve done!” Spike yelled at Angel.

“Me? You threw the first punch! You don’t even trust her.”

“No. I trust Buffy. It’s you I’m worried about. You’ve never been able to let her go. You left her to face the world feeling empty and alone. Told her it was for her own good, that she needed to move on, but you never did let go did you?”

“This is useless.” Angel wanted to tell Spike about the kiss he’d shared with her earlier, but he couldn’t do that to Buffy, especially not now. “I’m leaving.”

“Good.” Spike smiled triumphantly then turned around and walked out in search of Buffy.

Angel waited until the vampire left before he took Buffy’s discarded clothes and left the hospital.