Friday dinner was turned into Sunday brunch instead.

Buffy was plenty well enough to cook and have people over as originally planned, but Willow said the clients were actually the ones to change things, and Sunday came like a snail might move through molasses. The whole weekend passed by tremendously slow, with the monster who had inhabited her life nowhere to be seen. He'd said he would be gone for a couple days. That, Buffy didn't realize, meant... more than a couple days.

She didn't miss him, of course, she simply wondered where he'd gone. Stomach aches along with dizziness bothered her from time to time now, and it was getting more and more frequent. The "withdrawal pains" were steadily- if she wanted to be honest with herself -getting worse.

The vampire was invading her thoughts too often for her comfort, as well. She read all weekend about claims and anything related, so Buffy learned more about the animals involved, too. The details of their lives and how they lived them, and of course the finer details on what was flipping her life upside down.

Apparently, emotions would be shared after they did this... thing. They'd be able to sense one another's presence. There would be blood shared and words said. He would be tied to her and she to him, and if one of them was ever hurting or physically injured, the other would feel it too, just to a lesser degree. They would be bound, and she would live as long as he, or vice versa.

It was overwhelming to think of doing this with someone whose name she didn't even know.

And she still hadn't yet accepted the reality of committing to it yet.

"Buffy?" Willow's voice rang out over the clatter of silverware and activity in the restaurant. "Buffy, don't you agree?"

She noted that tone of voice. It was the one the boss lady used when she phrased a question, but was actually making a statement. The blonde rose her eyes from her untouched bowl of salad and smiled. "I most certainly do," she said, beaming at the soon to be new clients sitting across from her. "Ms. Rosenberg always makes sure everything we keep stored at the auction house is specially handled and cared for."

That seemed to appease her boss, and Buffy might have been impressed with her own skills of multitasking had she not gone directly back to thinking about her unsettled future.

In her mind, Buffy was going around in circles, and she kept coming back to the one thing she knew she could control, the single motion she had a say in: When.

When they claimed one another, when she decided she knew this monster of hers well enough to let him- invite him -into her home, and into her bed.

Buffy grabbed the stem of her wineglass and downed a big gulp of mimosa.

That last part, wasn't sitting too well with her.

"Buffy," Willow addressed her again, something like anxiety apparent in her voice, "Mr. Finn asked you a question."

She blinked and swallowed, catching the eyes of the man sitting before her. His humble and patient expression made her feel guilty, and Buffy quickly recalled him asking if she was curious to see the collection he and his sister were bringing in for the auction house. "Oh, I can't wait!"

Enthusiasm sounded more present than it actually was.

She hadn't lied. She was looking forward to sifting through such amazing history as Egypt's, and she knew these people had quite a collection of it, but for the first time, Buffy had something else that was a lot more important on her mind.

"I'm glad to hear it," he said, with a smile as big as Texas. "I'll bring some of the smaller pieces we're planning on having stored at Wingfield's into your office personally so you can appraise them."

Buffy caught something she had not before noticed. For some reason it made her feel uncomfortable, more so than a nice man being kind and showing interest in her work should have. "Great. I'm happy that you both-" she addressed his sister, too, "-have decided to put your trust in Wingfield's. We will not disappoint you."

Willow smiled but gave her a strange, very quick look of question after Buffy used her most official and encouraging salesman voice.

A sharp pain dug itself into her stomach right then, and her chest suddenly felt tight. She gasped, silent but deep, and gripped the table's edge with her fingers.

Withdrawal.

God, this was awful. Buffy closed her eyes and swallowed hard. The voices of Mr. Finn and his sister, Amelia, mixed with Willow's, and all knowledge of the conversation was lost to her. Buffy counted to ten, and still the pain remained.

It stayed until the waiter came and took her untouched salad with ranch dressing away a full minute later. It only left completely when someone else wearing a dark vest and polished shoes approached to refill her half empty glass of water. She sighed and rubbed her sweaty palms on her lap where there'd once been a linen napkin which now sat on the ground. She bent to grab it and nearly bumped her head against the table on the way back up. Riley Finn had spoken her name again.

The man was broad shouldered, with sandy hair and warm eyes. His face was wholesome and handsome, but Buffy was not floored by the smile he gave her, or by the way he asked with concern if she was feeling alright.

"I'm fine," she laughed, rubbing her stomach absently and sitting up straight. When she said nothing else and he looked unconvinced, Willow intervened before he could speak another word. "Buffy's been working very hard lately. She's probably just tired, I'll bet."

The look the redhead shot her told Buffy she'd better agree. A serene nod did the trick, and everybody relaxed, then conversation flowed again.

Amelia was sweet, her heart-shaped face and big eyes open and honest, similar to her brother's. They were sincere people, and therefore they were coming to the right place to sell their priceless collection. Wingfield's Auction House was one of the best in the state, and Willow was the most trustworthy person in the business.

Buffy looked at the clock on the wall. The meeting was nearly over. Mr. Finn and Amelia Brighton- the lady was married -came into this with their decision seemingly made. They said that they'd talked to many other auction houses, but in truth, they liked the employees and people involved at Wingfield's the best. And they would not settle for less than that. This brunch had merely been a casual way of ironing out the details and finalizing things. It was a proverbial handshake, if nothing else.

Buffy stood at the end as the goodbyes were being said. Willow set up a time for her to conference with Mr. Finn in a week and sign the needed paperwork.

"That'll be fine. Thank you, Ms. Rosenberg," he said politely.

"You won't regret working with us," she said, and took her purse from the back of her chair.

Buffy followed the group outside after the bill was paid, courtesy of Wingfield's, of course. She adjusted her tan pencil skirt while she stood beside her boss.

"Brunch was lovely," Mrs. Brighton said, "I'm sorry we couldn't make it to dinner at your home, Buffy."

"Oh, it's fine," she replied politely. "It's always nice to go out to eat."

"That's true," Mr. Finn commented, "I'm still going to offer an apology myself. The reason we cancelled on Friday was my fault. I have a friend who I'd owed a favor, and he called me Friday morning to pay the debt."

"Don't worry about it," Willow urged, "There's always time to reschedule."

"Still," he said, "If you'd ever like to host dinner at your home another time, Buffy, I'll be sure to make it."

Buffy offered only a smile and a nod, but suddenly, Willow's voice broke in again. "Oh, well, she would love to!" The redhead beamed, all friendly encouragement. "How about later this week, Buffy? Maybe Thursday?"

Before she could answer, Willow was checking with Mr. Finn and his sister to see if that would work for them. Sure enough, it did.

"Wonderful!" Willow said, her smile sweet and large. "Thursday it is, then."

Somehow, Buffy found herself nodding again. In the chaos of the moment, she was blindsided but she also knew she was stuck.

Handshakes were exchanged, Mrs. Brighton and Mr. Finn walked away and Willow turned around as she headed to her car, Buffy beside her.

"What was that?"

"What was what?" Willow replied innocently.

Buffy shook her head. "The kick and capture maneuver you just pulled on me. I mean, I don't care about hosting dinner, but I do like to be asked first."

Willow sighed. "I know... I'm sorry, Buffy. I should have warned you, I just want to impress these clients," she said. "I think they're very reliable people and this is a huge account. If you really can't do it, we can have the dinner at my place. The renovating is just about done."

Buffy shook her head, absently rubbing her stomach as she walked. "No. It's okay. Just... Next time maybe talk to me? I'll always do what you ask me to, Willow."

"I know. You're the most hardworking employee I have. That's why I know I can always depend on you. But I am sorry. I will ask you beforehand about things like this, always, from now on. I promise"

Buffy nodded, accepting the sincerity in the other woman's voice even though it came with the expression Willow sometimes used that read "Aren't I so cute and innocent, don't be mad, it'd be like being mad at a bunny."

The redhead reached her car first, and then said goodbye. Buffy was soon driving back home, making a last minute stop at the grocery store on the way to pick up some ginger ale and saltines.

***

The whole way back, she realized and wondered over her boss and the odd behavior attached to her. Willow was a friend, as well as Buffy's employer. In all the years since they'd been working together, she'd never done something like that. She had never sprung something onto Buffy just assuming she would take on the responsibility.

She wasn't upset, for this wasn't a regular occurrence, but she was slightly baffled.

Pulling into her driveway, she parked and walked up to her front door. She looked down at the untitled doormat beneath her feet.

No, Buffy did not mind hosting dinner, but she did wonder if she'd have an unwanted guest inhabiting her backyard on the same evening.

Maybe "unwanted" was too harsh a word. More like... unexpected.

Buffy sighed and shook her head. Oh well. Whatever it was she had to do, that monster of hers wasn't going to enter her house again until she said so. And Buffy would not let a single thing ruin the dinner on Thursday. Willow would cry if she did, which was like watching a puppy cry, and Buffy wouldn't stand for it.

Entering her home, she went to the magazine rack in the living room and grabbed three. She walked into the kitchen and sat down on a stool by the island, for the first time in days, she read about recipes and trivial things, rather than mating and vampires.

For an hour, anyhow.

***
How did he expect her to do this?

Buffy had researched the actual events that needed to happen with a claim. It was a mating ritual, and there was always copulation- or at least some kind of sexual deed. Buffy just had a feeling that said deed would not be done halfway. It wasn't even hinted at in the books, and online the notion was basically laughed at.

Apparently, "sexual heat" was so out of control between mates that it was virtually impossible to only do a little instead of the whole endeavor once you... started. And after the claim was finished, then forget about protecting your virtue. Once you're connected to your partner, personal space becomes an unwanted thing of the past.

Buffy groaned and let her body flop forward, smashing her face into the open pages of a book. It was the newest one she'd retrieved from the local library, surprisingly well stocked with info on demons and numerous other supernatural creatures. See: Vampires.

Buffy wished she could see her vampire. He wasn't around. Still. The man had been gone since Thursday night, and it was now Wednesday. Where could he be?

More importantly, why did she give a crap?!

"Ugh!" She sat up again and shoved the book away, lying down on the soft green comforter covering the bed. Buffy looked at the ceiling, and of course her mind went to wandering in its usual circle.

She'd been thinking on this for days now. She knew she was screwed- figuratively speaking, but she didn't want to just give up and give in.

Being from Sunnydale, Buffy had never... Well, she'd never outright believed in the supernatural. Ghosts and goblins were just stories, images conjured from movies and legends.

However, she had lived in Sunnydale.

For years, she'd seen too many people buried too close together. She'd read about too many "gangs on PCP" running around and killing. She knew that the town she called home was not... normal. She knew not to be out by herself after dark. She never walked to her car alone when the sun was down, and she always had her friends text her once they made it inside their homes safe and sound after a night of Bronze-ing.

Buffy locked her doors at night, and she avoided graveyards, except on the days when she visited her mom. It was always light outside when she did. Buffy had also long ago decided, that if she did ever have kids, she would move. She hated the thought of giving up the house and living somewhere new, but she had a sixth sense about this town that many people living in it either did not, or simply ignored.

Sunnydale was not safe. The death rates were high, especially for such a tiny town, and the high school graduating classes were always much smaller in number than the amount of freshmen who had come in four years prior. The college was the same way.

So no, Buffy hadn't believed in nightmares of this world to be anything but those walking on two legs with a heartbeat, red blooded and human. However, now she did, and it hadn't been hard to convince her that monsters- real monsters -existed. Because somehow, she'd always known.

*Maybe it's the claim,* she thought to herself. Perhaps the supernatural connection she shared with a vampire that she'd been unaware of until now, had given her an instinctual sort of knowledge. She supposed she could be grateful if that were so.

The curtains near her window flew forward with a gust. The wind was whipping around tonight, and Buffy quickly rose from her bed to look outside.

She sighed. No one. No eyes and no monster. Just the wind.

___________________
Sorry this update is so late, but thanks everyone for the reviews and for reading. I will try my hardest to get the chapters out a little faster from now on, please continue to leave feedback, it feeds the muse. *huggles*