Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy!
The super-happy smile Spike got on his face when he saw the blooming onions was what Buffy had been hoping for; he was practically giddy, like a kid on Christmas.

They sat down to dinner, making light conversation as they ate.

"I can't believe you all went to so much trouble," Spike marveled.

Buffy opened her mouth to reply, but Dawn beat her to it. "Oh, it was no trouble, Spike! It's fun having you over for dinner. Getting the onions was my idea, I know how much you like them."

Buffy frowned at Dawn for a moment, then smiled at Spike. "Like she said, it's no trouble. I like having a meal with my boyfriend, especially when his food doesn't require any cooking."

"I'm all about makin' your life easier, luv." Spike looked to Joyce. "I appreciate you havin' me over again. It's nice to know I'm welcome... somewhere." He sniffed and smiled. "And I'm not used to being invited into such posh places like your home -- not a cobweb, speck of dust, or sarcophagus in sight."

Buffy touched and then held his hand under the table and gave him a little smile, letting him know he was always welcome in her house. She thought it was sad that Spike wasn't used to people doing something nice for him without a motive other than they just liked him (well... he wasn't what you'd call a 'nice guy' until recently). Now he did have people who wanted him around and enjoyed his company, and Buffy thought that could only help motivate Spike to stay on the right path. She could see that it really did touch his heart -- she could tell he was trying not to get emotional.

"You are welcome here, Spike, anytime. You're a good friend of the family," Joyce said warmly, echoing Buffy's thoughts. "Would you like to go to the museum with us tomorrow to see that exhibit we talked about?”

"Yeah, I'd like that, Joyce." He took a bite of his raw steak, then smiled and winked at Buffy. "Love the steak, pet. It's perfect."

Buffy grinned proudly. Yes, all she'd done was cut off the fat and sprinkle both sides of the steak with salt and pepper, but she was still proud that she'd prepared it and Spike liked it.

Joyce went on, "I'd like to get to the museum by about three... Oh, but that'd be too early for you, wouldn't it, Spike?"

"Nah, I'll be fine." He waved it off. "I tend to wake up earlier than I need to, anyway. Why don't I meet you ladies in the lobby of the museum at 3?"

"I don't know..." Buffy fretted. "I don't want you running around covered with just a blanket unless it's absolutely necessary. And I don't think they'll even let you in with your smoking blanket draped over you. Some people might find it strange."

"No worries. I know a way into the museum through the sewers, I can come up through the basement. All I'll have to worry about are rooms we pass through that have windows."

Buffy took a piece of onion and dunked it in the bowl of sauce closest to her on the table, and then took a bite. Her eyes instantly rounded and she started coughing, spitting the onion out into her napkin. "Damn, Dawn! What's in this stuff?!" Buffy wheezed.

Spike looked at Buffy with concern, patting her on the back. "Easy, luv. Have some water." He pushed her water glass closer to her hand.

Dawn made an 'oops' face. "Sorry! I made that sauce extra-spicy just for Spike. I guess I should've told you which one was his or labeled it or something... You guys should use this one." Dawn slid a bowl of milder sauce toward Buffy. "I didn't put a lot of the really hot stuff in this one -- not nearly as much cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or horseradish."

"Thanks for the advanced warning," Buffy said in between coughs, then took several sips of water.

Dawn defended, "Hey, it's not my fault -- you should've asked which sauce was the spicy one. You saw what I put on the shopping list -- you knew the stuff I was going to use for Spike's was super-hot."

"I didn't think you'd make it that hot." After a few more coughs and swallows of water, Buffy was able to talk normally again. "I'll be able to breathe fire if I eat any more of that."

"Sorry," Dawn said again, smirking a little. "That'd be pretty cool, though. You could fry demons just by breathing at them like Godzilla."

Spike smiled as he ate another piece of onion covered with the hot dipping sauce. "The Slayer can't handle a bit of spiciness, eh?"

Buffy made a face at him. "Spiciness, I like. But I don't enjoy feeling like my mouth is on fire. Is my tongue blackened? Any third-degree burns on it?" She stuck her tongue out and wriggled it at Spike for him to examine it.

Spike laughed. "No, still nice an' pink." He silently added, 'And wet... and warm... and flexible... and, God, I'd love to feel it on my...' Spike took a breath and tried like hell to shutout any improper thoughts at the sight of Buffy's tongue. He ate another piece of onion to get his mind on something else.

The meal went on without further incident; they talked about Joyce's new potential boyfriend Brian, and what they wanted to see at the museum tomorrow.

After eating the last of his onion, Spike wiped his mouth with his napkin (practicing how to act in polite company again). "The sauce was bloody brilliant, Dawn. It's better than any you can get at a restaurant. I might have to pay you to make me a vat of the stuff once a week."

Dawn's smile stretched across her face. "I'm so glad you liked it! Ooh I'd better go get dessert!" She got up and raced into the kitchen.

Spike smiled at Dawn's enthusiasm. She really was a sweet kid -- the kind he would've eaten in a second back in the old days. But these days, all he wanted to do was be her friend and keep her safe.

"You want to play a game after dinner?" Buffy suggested. "Like Trivial Pursuit or Monopoly?"

"I'm kinda gamed-out after playing Pictionary at Carol's last night," Joyce said. "How about we watch a couple movies? I've been wanting to watch two of my favorites for a few days now."

Buffy shrugged. "Sure, Mom. What movies do you want to watch?"

"'Sleepless in Seattle' and 'You've Got Mail'," Joyce replied with a big smile. "I just love those movies, they always put me in a good mood. I guess I've been in getting into a romantic state of mind lately."

Buffy smiled at first, but then looked over at Spike -- his eyes were a little glassy and the smile he'd had before Joyce said the titles of the movies seemed frozen on his face.

Spike thought, 'Bloody hell... why not just throw 'Fried Green Tomatoes' and 'Steel Magnolias' in there too? I can already feel the testosterone being leeched from my body...'

"Um... maybe we could include a more 'guy friendly' movie?" Buffy hinted, indicating Spike with a tilting movement of her head, knowing he must be ready to bolt out the door. "I don't think Spike will enjoy those movies as much as we will."

Spike finally unfroze, thinking of a diplomatic way to get out of watching the dreck Joyce was keen on, yet still making sure the Summers clan matriarch got to do what she wanted without him spoiling her plans. "Don't worry 'bout me, I want you ladies to have a Summers women, estrogen-laden bonding session. Since Buffy will be enjoying the flicks with you, I can do a sweep of the cemeteries for her."

"You don't have to do that, Spike," Buffy said. "Tonight was about relaxing and having fun."

"Would be my pleasure to play Slayer for one night, luv. And I happen to find fighting very relaxing as well as fun." He'd fight a hundred demons to get out of watching those movies while pretending he didn't want to stake himself. "I want the three of you to have many more Summers Family Fun Nights, and I can do my part by takin' on the patrolling when you do."

"Thanks." Buffy leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "I wouldn't mind just chillin' instead of patrolling for once." Although she'd like to spend quality time with her family and Spike together, this actually worked out better. She'd have time to make herself look irresistible while Spike patrolled. Now, all she had to do was figure out a way to get him back to the house...

Dawn emerged from the kitchen carrying a silver tray. "Who wants some spumoni? I made it myself." She set the tray down on the table.

Spike pursed his lips and raised his eyebrows, suitably impressed. "Very ambitious of you, Bit. You're becomin' quite the chef."

Dawn grinned. "I made this one especially for you," she said, placing one of the bowls in front of Spike. "I put in a layer of blood instead of cherries."

Spike smiled with delight. "You don't say? Well, that was very thoughtful and impressive, thanks. Can't wait to try it, looks delicious."

"Make sure you don't get Spike's and ours mixed up..." Buffy grimaced. The blood looked almost indistinguishable from the regular spumonis with the layer of cherries. She didn't mind watching him eat it, but didn't want a mouth full of cold blood. It was bad enough she burned her mouth with that hot sauce.

They started on their desserts and Buffy was surprised that Dawn did a good job, it tasted great. "Where'd you get the recipe for Spike's blood spumoni? Did you buy a 'Cooking for Vampires' cookbook?"

"It's my own creation," Dawn said, pleased with herself. "I'm all inspired now. I'm gonna make another cool dish with blood next time Spike comes over."

Spike smiled affectionately at Dawn. "That's sweet of you, Bit. But I don't want you goin' to more trouble just for me."

"It's no trouble, I like cooking for you," Dawn replied, smiling back at him.

Buffy didn't like the way Dawn got all bubbly and bouncy when Spike smiled at her. Was Dawn still stuck on Spike despite everything she'd said about 'moving on'? That'd be all Buffy needed -- her little sister trying to compete with her for Spike's affections.

Buffy dismissed those thoughts from her mind; she was assuming the worst again, she told herself. Dawn was just being... a friend to Spike, she liked him in a friend-type way, that's all. And people liked doing nice things for their friends.

And then dinner was over, leaving the four of them full and in good spirits.

Spike cleaned his plate, not leaving a speck on it. He sat back and patted his stomach. "Thank you, ladies. That was the best fu--" Spike stopped in mid-word and glanced at Joyce, who had her eyebrows raised while she waited for him to finish the word. "That was the best food I've had in ages."

"It was good, but it can't top the meal we had at the restaurant," Buffy said, remembering how divine the food was. "God, that was so good."

"You really liked the spumoni with blood?" Dawn eagerly asked Spike, even though he'd already told her he loved it a few times. She just wanted to hear Spike confirm it again.

"Loved it, Platelet."

"Cool." Dawn grinned, bouncing a little in her chair. "I have a whole bunch of other ideas for vampire-friendly foods and desserts I want to try making. I might even take Buffy's advice and write my own cookbook for vampires! There's no end to the possibilities of what you can make with blood. Hey, maybe I can even open up my own restaurant in town that serves food vampires would like -- I'd make a million dollars with all the undead and demons in Sunnydale!"

"Slow down there, Betty Crocker," Buffy admonished her. "First of all, I did not suggest you write a cookbook for vampires -- I only made a joke asking if you got the recipe from one. And second, we're not supposed to give vampires more places in town to hang out -- we're supposed to get rid of them." Buffy put her hand on top of Spike's and smiled. "Present company excluded, of course."

"Of course." Spike smirked. "I think the girl could be onto somethin', though; vamps would line up 'round the block for blood-based foods."

"Exactly, and we don't want vamps and demons from all over the world to come to town to sample Dawn's famous blood cuisine. There are enough damn vampires in this town already.... present company excluded," Buffy added, glancing at Spike again.

"I still think it's an interesting idea, luv. I could be the bouncer at your restaurant, Nibblet. I'd make sure none of the vamps or demons got outta line."

Dawn's eyes were alight, she was loving this idea. "Yeah! Maybe we can ask Willow to cast a spell on the restaurant that made it a 'no violence zone'. So only vampires and demons who want to enjoy a meal in peace would want to come."

Buffy shook her head, wondering why they were still talking about this stupid idea. "Getting a little ahead of yourself, aren't you, little sis? It's a bad idea, even if you could buy your own restaurant. Have you got several thousand dollars in your piggy bank?"

Dawn pouted. "You always shoot down my ideas! You just don't think I'm good or smart enough to pull it off." Dawn jumped up from the table and then ran upstairs, slamming her bedroom door for good measure.

Joyce and Buffy sighed.

Buffy put her hand on Spike's back. "Around here, dinner is officially over when Dawn says something in a shrill voice and runs from the table -- it's tradition."

"I think she had an interesting idea, pet. You should've encouraged her."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "It was a terrible idea. Even if she could open a restaurant for vampires and demons, they'd go and enjoy a good meal, and then I'd have to slay them when they started hankering for human blood right from the source again and attacking every person in sight. It'd just be more work for me and I've got enough to deal with as it is."

"Well... you coulda at least humored the girl. She was excited about it," Spike said, plainly disagreeing with how Buffy handled it.

Buffy hung her head back and let out a sigh. "Fine... I'm an awful person who doesn't support a young girl's dreams of starting a catering business for demons."

Spike groaned. "That wasn't what I was sayin', Buffy. And it wasn't a catering business, it was a restaurant that caters to vampires. I think Dawn just needed --"

"Oh, don't worry about Dawn," Joyce said as she stood up and started gathering the empty dishes. "She'll sulk in her room for a while but she'll be alright. The mood swings of a teenager are scarier than any demon I've ever seen."

"Let us do that, Mom," Buffy offered, taking a plate and standing up. "Spike and I can clear the table."

"You don't mind?"

Buffy shook her head as she began gathering up the dishes. "You go ahead and watch TV and relax."

"Yeah, go on, Joyce. We'll take care of it," Spike added.

"Thanks, kids." Joyce hesitated a moment before going out into the living room to unwind. She called Spike a 'kid' -- it was sometimes hard to keep in mind that he was older than her by several decades.

Buffy and Spike took the dishes into the kitchen, and then began washing them in the sink.

Buffy handed him a plate to dry. "Does this kind of thing -- having dinner with me and my family -- really appeal to you? Or are you just pretending to enjoy it to make me happy... humoring me?"

"I do enjoy bein' invited over for any reason, I'm not just pretending I'm having a good time," Spike reassured her. "You said before that you know how... not being accepted can hurt. I'm used to not being included in any reindeer games, so it doesn't have the sting it once had.

"'Sides my mum, Dru was the only person who ever accepted me, who saw greatness in me... who thought I was someone special." Spike felt like he was about to get choked up from the memories of his mother and how Dru had saved him from the dreary, mundane life he would've had if she hadn't turned him. He sniffed and looked down at the plate he was drying to keep Buffy from seeing he was getting a bit misty-eyed. "I was treated like an annoyance who didn't belong in the clan by Darla -- and that was after twenty bloody years of living and traveling together. She always was a coldhearted bitch...

"But your family... they accept me. They treat me with respect, they treat me like a person. Being invited to dinner or to join you at an art exhibit... it means a lot to me. I finally feel like I belong somewhere."

Buffy put a hand on his back, rubbing in small circles, and leaned over to kiss the side of his face. "You do belong here, with us... with me."

Spike smiled and turned his head to give her a tender kiss.

As they continued washing and drying, Buffy asked, "You really think I was unfair to Dawn about the vampire restaurant thing?"

Spike wasn't sure how to respond, but thought Buffy would appreciate honesty, even if she didn't agree with his opinion. "I think it wouldn't hurt to encourage her, no matter how outrageous or impossible her ideas might sound."

"But... wouldn't that just lead to big disappointment when she can't do it?"

"Kids need to dream big, luv. The world has a way of crushing dreams... so I think kids should dream the impossible while they can -- before they see how the world works and become jaded and cynical like most adults. Sometimes they have the drive and ambition to achieve big things, you shouldn't just assume it'll never happen."

Buffy closed her eyes and rubbed her forehead. "Doesn't say much for me, does it... A vampire has better child-rearing skills than I do. Good thing I never plan on having kids, huh? You're right... Why couldn't I have just smiled and nodded or at least shown that I think she can do anything she puts her mind to? I still think it's a crazy idea that could never-ever happen, but... she was excited about it. Dawn and me have been getting along great lately... well, we're getting along a lot better than we have in the past. And I had to upset her over something like that..."

Spike put an arm around Buffy's shoulders and kissed her temple. "Dawn's tougher than you think, luv. She'll be alright."

Buffy sighed. "The worst part is... we don't know how this war with Glory is going to end. I shouldn't shoot down Dawn's ideas about what she wants to do with her life. I want her to be thinking about good things and having a happy future... having any kind of future."

Spike took her gently by the shoulders and turned her to face him, giving Buffy a serious look. "Nothing is gonna happen to the Nibblet while I'm around. You hear me?"

Buffy smiled wanly and wrapped her arms around Spike's middle, leaning into his body for a hug. She was determined to keep everyone she loved alive, but she still worried. "I know you'll do everything you can to protect her. And knowing I'll have you looking out for everyone too helps me deal a little better."

"I'll be lookin' out for you too, Slayer. You'll take care of that hell bitch and get the job done like you always do -- I have no doubt about that -- but I'll do whatever it takes to make sure you, Dawn, your mum, and your friends come out of this safe an' sound." Spike was a bit fond of her friends (except Xander), but he was most fond of Tara at the moment -- from what Buffy had told him, it was Tara who helped her realize that she was in love with him. Tara ranked quite high on Spike's list of 'People To Protect' now.

Dawn entered the kitchen with her nose in the air, deliberately not looking at Buffy.

When Buffy saw her, she dropped her hands from Spike and stepped away from him. Spike raised an eyebrow, but again he didn't ask why the affection ended the moment Dawn appeared.

Dawn took a notebook from the kitchen counter and then turned to leave the room again.

"Dawn, wait," Buffy said.

Dawn stopped and sighed heavily. "What?"

"Um, Spike, could you give us a minute?" Buffy asked.

He nodded. On his way out of the kitchen, he patted Dawn on the back. "Thanks again for the food, Platelet, it was brilliant."

Her sour expression turned into a smile. "You're welcome, Spike." Dawn went back to looking peeved after Spike left the room.

"Dawn... I'm sorry I pooh-poohed your idea," Buffy apologized.

"You are?" Dawn asked skeptically.

"Yes, I really am. I don't know why I was so negative."

"I think I might have an idea..."

Buffy blinked. "Okay... what's your theory?"

"Spike complimented me a lot and he liked what I made for him more than he liked what you served him -- you were jealous," Dawn asserted smugly.

Buffy made a face. "Jealous? Are you serious? I was not jealous. Spike said he loved the steak, so why should I be jealous?"

Dawn shrugged. "That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it."

Buffy thought about it for a few moments and was ashamed that she did detect a bit of jealousy. She still thought a vampire restaurant was one of the worst ideas she'd ever heard, but it was possible that she was totally unsupportive because she was a little ticked off that Dawn had shown her up by impressing Spike with the food she'd made.

Buffy sighed, her shoulders slumping. "Alright... there's a very slim chance that... maybe I was kinda jealous."

Dawn glanced sideways at her.

"You put a lot more work into the dinner than I did... You had the idea about getting the blooming onions, you made the dipping sauce and you made the blood spumoni for him. What'd I do?" Buffy frowned and pouted. "I sprinkled a raw steak with salt and pepper... that's pretty much my contribution to his meal. Spike's done so many sweet things for me, I just wanted to do something special for him too..."

Dawn's posture and expression softened at seeing Buffy look so sad; Dawn realized she might've been trying to outdo Buffy with the dinner -- only on a subconscious level, of course. She'd told Buffy she was okay with her and Spike dating, she had to get rid of the remaining bits of jealousy in her system. Dawn really did want her big sister and Spike to be happy. "Well... you went shopping and bought everything we needed. We wouldn't've had anything to eat if you didn't go out and get what we needed to make it. And you planned the meal -- you did lots of stuff."

Buffy smiled a little because Dawn had gone from being smug and spiteful to trying to cheer her up. Their mother was right -- the mood swings of teenagers were scarier than most demons. "You know I love you, right, Dawn?"

Dawn looked down and nodded. "Yeah."

"I didn't mean to make you feel stupid or hurt your feelings by saying your idea was bad. I think you're smart and there's nothing you can't do if you're determined. I'm really sorry... okay?" Buffy walked over to Dawn and put a hand on her arm.

"Okay." She turned to Buffy and they gave each other a hug. "I feel bad now... I hogged the spotlight by making all that special stuff for Spike, I should've let you do more of it. I'm sorry... I guess it's harder than I thought it'd be to get out of the habit of trying to impress Spike... but I'll try to remember that you and him are together now. I promise I won't make anything next time he comes over, you can have all the credit. I'll even give you the recipes for vampires I came up with."

"Well... now that I think about it, it's better that you made most of the food. I'm not as good a chef for vampires as you are," Buffy said with a smirk. "I wouldn't mind if you want to make him something special again. You've obviously got a natural talent for it. Just don't make Spike lots of fattening bloody food -- I don't want him to lose his boyish figure."

They giggled.

Dawn had to stop herself from saying something complimentary about Spike's awesome bod. "Right... you wouldn't want that." After a moment, Dawn sighed then said, "Spike probably thinks I'm a stupid baby for running from the table like that..."

"He doesn't think that, Dawnie. Unfortunately, us Summers girls sometimes get the urge to flee a scene dramatically... he learned that from being around me. But he still thinks you're great. Spike couldn't stop going on and on about how much he loved what you made for him."

Dawn smiled brightly. "Really?"

"Yep. Now stop showing me up in front of my boyfriend, brat," Buffy said, playfully swatting Dawn on the arm.

Dawn giggled and rubbed her arm. "I'll try my best... but I'm just so damn good! It'll be hard to hold back my excellence."

Buffy snorted and smiled, shaking her head. "Want to help me finish the dishes?"

"Not really... but I will 'cause you were cool and apologized to me," Dawn replied, smiling.

It didn't take long for the girls to clean up the kitchen and get the dishes put away.

Once they were done, Buffy had a troubling thought and looked nervously toward the living room. "I wonder if Spike and Mom are talking again? I hope she isn't giving him a lecture or starting another Spanish Inquisition..."






Dawn and Buffy hurried into the living room to see if Spike was being grilled again. But he and Joyce were just sitting and idly chatting about the Louvre in Paris.

"I'd love to go there someday and see..." Joyce trailed off when she saw her daughters quickly enter the room, looking anxious. "Something wrong, girls?"

"Uh, no, everything's fine," Buffy answered, looking to Spike. He smiled at her and looked comfortable, which made Buffy smile and relax a bit. She was very relieved her mother didn't try to sneak in another serious talk with Spike. "We finished cleaning up in the kitchen."

"That was quick," Joyce remarked. "See how fast you can get things done when you work together and don't argue?"

Buffy and Dawn rolled their eyes in unison and droned, "Yes, Mom."

"We'll let our food settle a bit and then watch some movies, how's that sound, girls?" Joyce asked.

Spike thought, 'I wouldn't recommend watching those movies, especially not on a full stomach...'

"Sounds good, Mom," Buffy said. She held her hand out to Spike. He stood up and took her hand, letting her lead him into the foyer.

"Everything okay? Mom wasn't putting you on the spot again?" Everything seemed okay, but she needed to make sure.

Spike shook his head. "We were just talking 'bout art museums. Joyce wants to see the Louvre one of these days." He was already sussing out how much money he'd have to save to buy Joyce a plane ticket to Paris.

Buffy blew out a relieved breath and smiled. "We've got a half-hour to kill until movie time. Want to come up to my room for some privacy so we can talk and... stuff?"

Spike nodded and smiled. "I'd love some privacy. I'm fond of your family and all, but I'm dyin' for some time alone with you."

"We'll be back," Buffy called to the living room as she went up the stairs with Spike in tow. "I have to... show Spike something."

Dawn appeared at the side of the staircase as if by magic. She was looking up at Buffy, smirking, her eyebrows raised. Buffy just knew something stupid or inappropriate was about to come out of the teenager's mouth -- and she was right.

"What've you got that Spike hasn't seen yet?" While Dawn doubted Buffy had gotten naked with Spike yet, she just couldn't resist messing with her big sister a little bit.

Buffy rolled her eyes. "You have such a dirty mind..." She looked toward the living room and leaned over the banister, whispering, "Don't let Mom hear you talking like that. You're so not funny."

"I thought that was pretty funny; you give me lots of good material to work with." Dawn stuck out her tongue at Buffy and then went back into the living room with their mother.

Buffy shook her head and resumed walking up the stairs with Spike. "I swear, I'm gonna punt her ass like a football one of these days..." she swore under her breath.

Spike chuckled. "It was a bit funny, luv. When did she get so cheeky?"

"Around the time you and I started dating... She's been extra cheeky since then."






Once they were in Buffy's room and had some privacy, Spike asked, "Is there a reason you don't want to kiss or touch me in front of your family?"

"It's not because I'm ashamed of you." Buffy groaned internally, hoping Spike wasn't back to thinking she was ashamed to be with him.

"No, I don't think that," he said with a shake of his head. "It just... seems sorta strange, is all. I know you've kissed other guys in front of your family." Dawn had told him of a few instances that she'd seen Buffy and Riley smooching and how it had made her want to barf -- and Dawn relaying the stories to Spike made him want to barf just hearing about it. "It just left me wondering what your reason was for not doing the same with me."

"Alright... I'll tell you," Buffy said reluctantly. It was better to let Spike in on the secret rather than have him getting paranoid about the lack of affection when they were with her family. "But you can't say anything to Dawn about this, okay?"

Spike shrugged, then nodded. "I won't say a word to her about... what exactly?"

"She had... a big crush on you. She'd kill me if she knew I told you."

Spike sighed, smiling ruefully. "Yeah, that's what I reckoned the problem was... You didn't have to tell me, pet. I already knew."

"You did?"

"Please, Buffy, I think I know the signs that a girl fancies me by now. I have to give the Nibblet credit though, she never came on too strong, she kept her feelings close to the vest. Most blokes probably wouldn't've noticed she had a crush."

"You knew she was crushing on you... and you still let her hang out with you?" Buffy asked, crossing her arms and raising her eyebrows.

Spike held up his hands. "I told you, I think of her like a little sister; I never led the girl on. She had a thing for me, but all she did when she was around me was be my friend. As you know, I don't have a great deal of those... I just enjoyed spending time with her. But I would've sent her home straightaway if she'd taken it too far or suggested we be more than friends."

Buffy still looked a little irritated, so Spike went on, hoping she'd understand. "Dawn seemed to feel at ease talking to me more than anyone else. She was upset when she found out about bein' the Key, her whole world was turned upside down, and I was the only one she felt okay talking about it with. I s'pose it was mostly because I was different too. I didn't want to have to tell her she couldn't come to me anymore... she needed to talk about what was upsettin' her; she had a lotta questions about herself, her nature. I did my best to reassure her that being different wasn't a bad thing. I worried about the girl."

Buffy was appeased by that. She uncrossed her arms and nodded. "Well... okay then. I wasn't at the time I found her at your crypt, but I'm really grateful now that Dawn had you to talk to. We tried to get her to open up to us, but we mostly got shrieking and crying out of her... not much talking."

"Would you be bothered if Dawn still wants to come to me to talk?" Spike hoped he wouldn't have to send the girl away if she really needed to talk to him, but he didn't want to make Buffy uncomfortable about him spending time with her sister.

Buffy considered telling him to scale way back on the time he spent with Dawn... but that wouldn't be fair to either of them. If Dawn felt comfortable telling Spike her fears, and if Spike liked being around someone who considered him a friend, who was Buffy to put an end to that?

"No... I mean, I'd be bothered a little because I'd worry that Dawn isn't really trying to move on from her crush. But the two of you are friends... so I'd be okay with it. Just as long as she doesn't try to jump you or something..."

Spike laughed. "I don't think she'll be doin' anything like that."

Buffy shrugged. She didn't think Dawn would pounce on Spike; her little sister seemed to be supportive of Buffy pursuing a relationship with Spike (most of the time). But there was a tiny seed of doubt in Buffy's mind after all of Dawn's 'If Spike was my boyfriend, I would (fill in the blank).'

"If Dawn ever does do or say something inappropriate to you..." Buffy didn't think she needed to finish that sentence.

Spike nodded. "I'll have a serious talk with her, let her know that sorta thing isn't going to happen."

"And?" Buffy asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Aaand..." Spike repeated slowly, wondering what he was supposed to add to that. "Uh... and... then I'll tell you about it so you can talk to her too and set the girl straight."

Buffy smiled, and Spike breathed out in relief that he'd gotten the answer right.

"So... you won't kiss me or allow any PDAs when Dawn's around 'cos... she'd be jealous?" Spike asked.

"I promised her we wouldn't kiss... or be too affectionate in front of her."

Spike rolled his eyes. "Great. So it's 'hands and lips off each other' when the Bit's around?"

"Um... yeah. I just don't want to rub it in her face that I got the guy she'd been crushing on for a long time. When she heard me say that you and I were going to be dating... she cried."

Spike sighed and looked down at the floor, regretting that Dawn had to be sad about the same thing that made him the happiest he'd ever been. "Yeah... wouldn't want to hurt the girl. We should... cushion the blow as much as we can. This being considerate of others' feelings bollocks is hard to get used to."

"There is hope though -- she said there's a boy named Sean in art class that she likes. So maybe she'll be 'over you' soon."

"Sean, eh?" Spike asked, arching an eyebrow and looking suspicious. "Got a last name, does he?"

"Why, so you can find out where he lives and keep him under surveillance? You're so paranoid, you think everyone is up to no good."

"Happens more often than not in Sunnyhell, luv. I do want Dawn to find someone she fancies that's not me, but she deserves the best -- well, you've got the best, but she can have second best," he joked. "I'm just sayin', I might have to check the boy out, make sure he's the type that'll treat her right. Teenage boys can be the foulest, randiest creatures to ever slither out from under a rock."

"Don't start investigating the poor kid, he sounds nice from what Dawn's told me about him. You can't chase off my mom and sister's boyfriends," Buffy laughed. She wouldn't be laughing if she thought he was being totally serious. "Dawn said Sean's normal, and for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he really is." She bit her lip. "You can't tell her you knew about her crush -- especially not that I told you -- she said she'd die of embarrassment if you knew. And in Sunnydale, that just might be possible."

"Give me a tiny sliver of credit, Buffy. Last thing I'd want to do is embarrass or hurt Dawn in any way. She's a sweet, sensitive girl. 'Sides, you already made me promise not to tell her and I already agreed."

"I know, it's just one of those things you have to say -- and stress -- when you want someone to keep a secret."

"She won't hear anything about it from me," Spike promised.

"And you won't be doing any background checks into Brian or Sean -- nor will you follow them around?" she asked leadingly.

"Yeah... alright." Spike sighed melodramatically. "I'll back off. S'pose it'd seem a bit hypocritical of me to deem a bloke not good enough for your mum or Dawn."

"Mmhmm." Buffy put her arms around his neck. "On a much nicer topic, did I tell you how much I loved the roses and card you sent?"

Spike smiled and held her in his arms. "Yes, you did. I love giving you gifts, I get to see this beautiful smile." He traced her bottom lip with the pad of his thumb.

Buffy kissed him softly.

"And I get those," Spike added with a smirk. "I love gettin' those." He went in for another kiss.

Buffy pulled back slightly before he could kiss her. "We still have some time... you want to makeout a little?"

"I thought that's what we were doin', luv? And we were doin' fine until you moved your lips out of snogging range."

"I thought we could..." her eyes went to her bed, "move over there and get more comfy whilst we snog."

Spike leaned back to get a better look at her, searching her face for any sign of distress. "You sure you're... okay with us doing that?" he asked, worried that it was too soon after Buffy's freakout for them to makeout on a bed again. "You're not... just sayin' you want to 'cos you know I'd like it?"

"Spike, I told you I won't do anything just because a man -- even a very hot man, like yourself -- wants me to do it." She pulled him back to her and gave him a long, slow kiss. "I really, really want to do exactly what I suggested. I've been wanting to kiss the hell outta you since I woke up this morning."

Buffy grinned and started guiding him toward the bed, but Spike dragged his heels, pulling back. Buffy looked at him questioningly. Had she traumatized him more than she thought? Maybe Spike was still too gun-shy to makeout with her on a bed...

"Uh, before we start gettin' cozy, I'd like to... brush my teeth. I've still got traces of the hot sauce that almost scorched your tongue and the blood from the spumoni in my mouth. And it might spoil the mood if your tongue gets burned again, I want kissing me to be a pleasant experience for you."

Buffy laughed, relieved that was the only reason for his hesitance. "Aww, that's so considerate of you. That's probably a good idea -- I could feel the heat from that sauce just on your lips, the inside of your mouth must be like a furnace. There's a spare toothbrush in the bathroom cabinet you can use."

"Right. I'll be quick," he said, heading for the door. Before he left the room, Spike stopped at the door and turned his head to wink at her and say, "Don't start without me."

Buffy checked her look in the mirror. "Yikes... I don't look hot at all -- I'm the opposite of hot." She took her hair out of the ponytail and gave it a few quick strokes with her hairbrush, then fluffed it up. Then she applied some cherry lip gloss. Instead of brushing her teeth, Buffy used mint breath spray as a temporary solution to her onion breath. This was just a little primping, the serious glamorizing would happen later, after her mom and Dawn went to bed.






"Minty fresh?" Buffy asked when Spike came back into the bedroom.

"Mmmhmm." Spike walked to her, put his arms around her waist and kissed her. "I even used mouthwash and flossed, just for you." He opened his mouth and huffed a short, minty-scented breath at her.

"Much better, and my lips aren't burning from the kiss... not in a bad way," Buffy said with a sly smile.

"You smell rather minty yerself, pet. You freshened up a bit as well, I see," Spike observed, running his fingers through her silky hair.

"I had to; I scared myself when I looked in the mirror -- I looked like crap."

Spike shook his head and started to say something.

"I know," Buffy said and kissed him sweetly, "I'm a gorgeous creature who couldn't possibly look like crap."

"Do I have to keep remindin' you of that?" he asked with a cocked brow.

"It would seem so," Buffy joked. She looked at him demurely. "I don't think I told you how much I loved last night -- the part after we made up. We needed that... after how I wigged the other night. I needed to be close to you... to let you know I love and trust you. I didn't want you to think I was a lost cause."

"I'd never think you were a lost cause... I kept hope alive even when you hated my guts." Spike nuzzled her ear, giving her earlobe little nibbles and kisses between words. "I loved last night too, pet." He pulled back to look into her eyes, wanting her to see how much it really meant to him. "Last night, talking with you... laying in bed and holding you while you slept, you telling me that you love me... it was the best night of my life. Every time I think you've given me my best night, you do something else that takes its place." Some romantic words came to his mind. Spike took her hand and gently kissed her knuckles. "Within you I lose myself. Without you I find myself wanting to become lost again."

Buffy was getting swoony, she needed to have him in her bed and be kissing him right now. It would be a little... preview of things to come. "Wanna makeout while we still have a few minutes?" Buffy asked breathily.

Spike raised an eyebrow and smiled. He turned and jumped on the bed on his knees.

Buffy laughed loudly. "Don't break my bed!" She put her hand over her mouth and looked at the door, hoping her mom or Dawn didn't hear that --- they might get the wrong idea about what was going on up here.

"Seems fairly sturdy to me," Spike said as he bounced up and down. He thought, 'Might have to get it reinforced with steel when the two of us start shagging on it regularly...'

Buffy climbed on the bed on her knees with him, putting her arms around him. "You break my bed, you'd better buy me a new one... maybe one with a canopy, a princess bed -- I always wanted one of those."

"I'll buy you a hundred beds if I 'ave to, Your Highness, but I'm gonna wanta bounce on all of 'em."

"You're a very silly vampire... but I love you anyway." Buffy pressed her lips to his and lay down on the bed, bringing Spike down to the mattress with her.

Spike smiled against her lips as they continued to kiss and get comfier. They started out on their sides, kissing and holding each other. Buffy pushed Spike onto his back and draped herself half on top of him. As they kissed, she moved her hand under his shirt, running her hand up and down over his tight abdomen and chest.

Spike wanted to get up her shirt too, but decided to keep his hands on the outside of her clothes. He was still concerned Buffy would get spooked again if they started getting too hot and heavy. He had no idea how ready Buffy actually was to getting physical -- Spike still thought they weren't going to even discuss sex until next month.

His hands stroked in downward circles on her back, down to her butt for a slow squeeze or two, then back up. Spike wanted to keep his caresses on her naughty bits short and sweet, hoping Buffy would be okay with that.

Buffy was very okay with that -- she wanted more, but serious groping could be saved for later. Feeling his soft skin and hard muscles under her palm, and his lips and tongue tangling with hers, had Buffy fervently wishing she could fast-forward to when she and Spike could shed their clothes and finally make love. Maybe her sister and mother would be extra drowsy after their big meal? Did they have any cough medicine in the house which she could discreetly slip into their sodas? Nah, she wouldn't do that... but it was tempting.

Even though their kisses and touches were slow and relaxed, Spike was getting more and more aroused. Buffy was going to notice soon that his slacks were becoming less slack in a certain area. He was getting harder, despite feeling a bit nervous about her possibly having relationship flashbacks again.

Until they started making out on her bed, he didn't realize how nervous he'd be that she'd jump up and run away in tears again. Spike tried to shoo away those anxious feelings and just trust that Buffy wouldn't have started this unless she thought she'd be alright. It wasn't like they were going to have sex right now (or any time soon), he hoped she'd be fine if there were no expectations of the kissing progressing into something more.

With her right leg between both of his, Buffy couldn't help but notice that Spike was getting tight in the pants. She was very tempted to touch his hardness through his trousers, wanting to feel how she was affecting him. But they only had a few minutes left to be alone, she shouldn't get him even more worked up when they'd have to stop so soon.

Just then, there was a knock at the bedroom door.

They stopped kissing and raised their heads to look at the door.

"Buffy," Dawn's voice came through the closed door, "Mom says you have to leave your door open when you have boy vampires in your room."

Buffy growled (which Spike found very sexy -- and made his 'condition' become more pronounced). She rolled onto her back and grabbed one of her boots off the floor, and then threw it at the door. They heard Dawn let out an 'Eeep!' at the thud the boot made. "Next time I'll throw something hard enough to go through the door and hit you on the head! Go away, you're not funny!"

They heard Dawn giggling. "Sorrrry! Didn't mean to interrupt... but Mom wants to start the first movie soon. I hope you can tear yourself away from whatever you're doing in there..." They heard her giggling again as she scampered back downstairs.

Buffy groaned, rolled back to lie half on top of Spike again, and dropped her head down to his shoulder. "She's really askin' for an ass kicking..."

Spike smiled and brushed aside a strand of hair that had fallen across Buffy's face. "S'pose you'd... better get down there, yeah?"

Buffy put her hand on his chest and then walked her fingers down to the hem of his shirt. Then she snaked her hand underneath to feel his skin again. She smiled devilishly. "I'll go down in a few minutes... I don't want to stop what we're doing quite yet. I like touching you... the way your skin feels..." She made a moaning sound and started kissing the side of his neck.

Spike took a deep breath, hoping he could control his body's reactions to what she was doing to him.

Buffy latched onto his lips with hers while her hand that was feeling him up rubbed over his nipple, making Spike moan into her mouth.

Buffy smiled at the sound, she hoped she'd be hearing that sound come out of him many more times tonight. As if making out with Spike wasn't making her hot enough, hearing him moan made her nether regions throb. Her inner-voice whispered, 'See? You're getting him excited and moan-y and you both still have your clothes on -- you have *nothing* to worry about. And now you know he likes his nipples to be stimulated -- you're learning good stuff to use later.' Buffy's inner-voice was finally being encouraging. Or... was Evil Twin Buffy just biding her time to try and destroy her self-esteem?

They heard Dawn's voice, from the bottom of the stairs this time -- Dawn didn't know if Buffy was serious about throwing something through the door, so she played it safe and stayed far away from the door. "Buffy, do you want cheese popcorn or regular?"

Buffy sighed, disappointed at having to stop smooching with Spike. She raised her head and said loudly enough for Dawn to hear, "Whatever you guys want is okay!" She looked at Spike apologetically. "Well... I guess I'd better go downstairs now."

She started to climb off the bed, Spike reached out and took hold of the bottom of her shirt, smirking at her. "Stay here, let them watch those bloody awful movies by themselves. Those are hours of your life you'll never get back."

Buffy raised her eyebrows, amused. "Let go, you extremely naughty man."

"C'mon... you know you'd rather stay here with me instead of watchin' those insipid movies, pet." If Spike thought Buffy was really scared or upset, he would've stopped playing around. But he could tell from her expression that she knew what he was saying was all in good fun.

"Perhaps I would rather stay up here with you..." she said coyly. "But I told my mom I'd watch them with her and Dawn. Now, let go of the shirt." She tried to sound serious, but was smiling just enough to let Spike know she wasn't upset.

"Uh-uh." He smirked broadly and slowly shook his head. "Hey, I know how you can foil my evil plan: you can pull out of the shirt, leavin' me holdin' nothing but an empty shirt. That'd teach me a right good lesson."

"Hmm yeah, I guess that might work. Or... I could do this," Buffy said, then smacked his hand.

Spike let go and shook out his hand. "Ow!" He laughed and rolled onto his stomach, weakly straining to reach for her.

Buffy giggled and danced out of his grasp.

His voice was muffled as he buried his face in the covers. "You're a devil woman."

"There will be plenty of time for more smoochies in the future."

Spike sighed and sat up on the bed, hanging his legs over the side. "I bloody well hope so. But... it's best that we stopped when we did. Don't want to get too..."

Buffy nodded. "Right, yeah. We were both getting too... Yeah, it's good that we stopped when we did." She held her hand out to him. "Come on, I'll walk you to the door and give you a nice kiss to send you out on patrol."

"Uh... You go on ahead, I'll be down in a minute."

"Why in a minute?"

"Got a... bit of a situation I need to wait out," Spike said, glancing down at his groin. He took a pillow and held it on his lap.

"Oh..." Buffy blushed. "Um... Okay, whenever you're... comfortable, then." She bent down and gave him a peck on the cheek.

Spike sighed and flopped onto his back when she closed the door behind her. "Bloody hell... waiting is torture." He closed his eyes and breathed deeply. "Buffy's worth it. In the meantime, I'll finish patrolling, then go home -- where I'll once again be entertaining Ms. Rosy Palm and her five dancing sisters."






Spike finally felt ready to leave five minutes later. He'd still need a cold shower at some point tonight, but now he could be seen by Buffy's family without a noticeable tent in his trousers.

Buffy was waiting at the bottom of the stairs and smiled at Spike when she saw him coming down. "Better now?" she asked once he joined her.

"Yeah, I'm more..." Spike cleared his throat, "...relaxed now." He took his duster from the hook by the door and slipped it on. "G'night, ladies," he called to the kitchen where Dawn and Joyce were popping some corn for the movie.

"Goodnight, Spike," they called back.

He opened the door and stepped out onto the porch, then he turned around, hoping for one more kiss from Buffy. "I had a good time tonight. Thanks for havin' me, luv."

Buffy smirked, thinking she would be havin' him in a different way later. Spike's night, as well as hers, was (hopefully) going to get a lot more fun and interesting in a few hours.

"We'll have to do the family dinner thing at least once a week. Would you like that?" Buffy asked.

Spike smiled, getting choked up again but trying desperately to hide it. It amazed him that Joyce and Dawn really liked having him over -- it still seemed like some wonderful dream that Buffy herself actually wanted him to come to her home for any reason. He actually had people who cared for him, good and decent people who shouldn't let the likes of him anywhere near them or their house. But that's how big their hearts were, and what forgiving souls they were. The Summers clan were Spike's family now -- God help the poor bastard who tried causing them any distress or harm -- the wrath of William the Bloody would come down on them like Thor's bloody hammer.

"Yeah... I'd like that," Spike finally said. "If your mum and Dawn are agreeable to it, that is."

"I'm sure they will be." Buffy leaned out the door to give him a tender kiss. "You be careful on patrol now," she cautioned.

Spike sneered, joking, "I can't do careful. I'm not made that way, baby."

Buffy shook a finger at him. "Yes you can be careful and you will. You're my boyfriend now, you gotta do what I say or no more snogging."

Spike laughed, dropping the badass bravado. "Ah, you women really know how to get what you want, don't ya? Got us blokes over a barrel." Getting more serious, he raised his hand to caress her cheek and said, "'Course I'll be careful, pet. I've got lots to live for these days... I'll be damned if I'm gonna let some mangy demon get a lucky shot in now."

Buffy smiled, hoping he really would try being more careful in the future.

Spike was about to turn away when Buffy took him by the lapels of his duster and brought him close enough to whisper. "Come back after you're done patrolling... but don't come to the front door."

Spike's brow furrowed. "Eh?"

Buffy rolled her eyes, she wanted to get him out the door before he could ask any follow-up questions. Her heart was beating like a bass drum as she took the final step in setting up their rendezvous. "I said, come back later after you're done patrolling and they," she nodded her head back toward the kitchen, "have gone to bed. Wait outside by the tree until I give you the signal -- which will be my bedroom light being turned on and off twice. Then come up to my window."

"Your window? Signal? What's --"

"Just do it, okay?" Buffy said impatiently. She took firmer hold of his lapels, pulled him to her and gave him a hard kiss on the lips. Then she pushed him back out the door. "See you later!" she whispered.

Spike was able to get out, "Wait! What do you --" before the door was shut in his face. He didn't have a chance to finish asking her for the reason she wanted him to come back. He stood there blinking, his brow still furrowed in confusion. He squinted up at the porch light as it was switched off, leaving him alone on the dark porch.

"Come back later... when they're in bed? Bloody hell..." Spike ran a hand back through his hair. "What does she want me to do that for? And why didn't she say anything about it while we were alone upstairs?" Of course his mind went to the naughtiest of places. "Maybe she wants to...?" Spike closed his eyes and winced.

He reprimanded himself, 'Stop thinkin' about sex! We agreed that we'd talk about it in a month -- it's been less than twenty-four bloody hours -- that's *not* what's on her mind... in spite of the excellent snogging in her bedroom a few minutes ago. Buffy probably.... just wants to sleep together again like we did last night... Yeah, that's what she asked me back to do. I wouldn't mind doin' that again...' He sighed dreamily. "Looks like an angel when she sleeps."

Spike smiled, thinking of being able to hold Buffy in his arms again, breathing in her scent, listening to her heart beating steadily, seeing how much she trusted him and how comfortable she was with him now. No, he wouldn't mind spending the night with her again, not at all. Cuddling wasn't shagging, but it was the next best thing.

Spike finally turned from the door and went down the porch steps on his way to the nearest cemetery. Convinced that he had another night of closeness (but cuddling only) to look forward to with his ladylove.


Chapter End Notes:
* The quote on the card that came with the roses Spike sent Buffy is credited to Gretchen Kemp