PART TWO

By the time Anya had smiled the last customer out of the store, Spike was almost twitching with impatience. He’d been waiting for Buffy since his arrival right after the sun set.

“Can we go now, Slayer?”

“Just let me get my jacket... Okay, let’s go.”

Waving their goodbyes, they left the store, hoping no one else had heard Anya say “They’re going off to have sex.” They walked together for a few blocks before Spike asked, “Did you eat yet?”

Buffy shook her head. “Only if you count Christmas cookies and gingerbread men.”

He steered her in to a small café and pointed at a table. “Sit. Gonna feed you real food before you patrol.”

Over her protests that she wanted to catch any new vampires as they emerged from their graves, he insisted she order and eat a hamburger. Buffy didn’t argue too vigorously since her slayer metabolism meant she was more than ready for something more filling than cookies. She polished off the big hamburger and all the fries that came with it, then looked around for more.

“Don’t look so smug. I was hungry.”

“You don’t eat enough,” he said, pushing his own half-eaten fries at her.

“You won’t like me if I’m fat,” she countered, sticking a fried potato in her mouth.

“I’ll like you any way I can get you,” he said with a growl. “And don’t forget, when I grew up everybody who was anybody looked... prosperous.”

“Prosperous? Was that code for fat?”

“Sometimes it was,” he admitted. “But the point is, you’d have to eat way more than you do now before I wouldn’t like your shape.”

“So you think I’m too skinny?”

He sighed and rolled his eyes. “This conversation isn’t going to go well for me no matter what I say, is it?”

“Nope!” Buffy made a little popping noise on the “p”, and smiled at him.

“Then I’m not participatin’ in it any more. Just eat up and we’ll go kill something.”

“You sure know how to woo a girl...”

“Know what this one likes.”

XXXXXXXX

“So, how many was that? And when do they start noticing it’s almost Christmas and they shouldn’t be out and about?”

“Between the dozen you did for tonight and the fact that tomorrow is Christmas Eve, I think Sunnydale’s going to be about as safe as a Hellmouth can get for the next few days. Relax and enjoy the holiday, love.”

“Holiday. Slayer. Not words I very often hear in the same sentence. I kinda like it.”

He put his arms around her and leaned back against the big stone pillar at the entrance, pulling her between his legs and nuzzling her neck.

“I’m declaring the next three days officially evil-free and a slayer holiday.”

“Ummmm,” she said, tilting her head and snuggling closer. “You can do that?”

“Can. Did. Will do every Christmas season from now on if you like.”

He stopped nuzzling her throat and began to suck on the same place as the night before. In no time, Buffy was panting and whimpering, grinding against the leg he’d slid between her thighs.

“Come for me, Buffy. Show me how much you like my mouth on your throat. Give in to it, Slayer. Let yourself feel....”

“Guh!” Buffy shuddered and collapsed against him. “When I can move my arms and legs,” she mumbled, “we’re going to have words about what you said about your mouth on my neck. There may be punching involved...”

His chest shook as he gave one of his deep chuckles that made it so hard to remember that he was an unsoulled vampire with a history of killing slayers. He tightened his arms around her and buried his nose in her hair. “Whatever you need to feel—” He broke off, raising his head to listen, then releasing her. “Best get those arms and legs working, Slayer. We’ve got company coming....”

In spite of her words, and the fact that she’d been enjoying her stolen moment of lassitude, Buffy was instantly alert, facing the direction in which Spike was looking and straining to see into the darkness. When what emerged into the pool of light from the overhead light turned out to be a short, fat Santa Claus, Buffy relaxed and laughed.

“It’s just Santa, Spike. And it looks like he’s drunk.”

“That’s not Saint Nick, love. That’s a claus demon in a red suit. And he probably is drunk. Doesn’t mean he’s harmless. Nasty buggers they can be. Use the suit to get close enough to kids to grab ‘em.”

As the roly poly demon approached, Buffy could see that rather than Santa’s twinkling eyes, this one had beady black orbs that reflected no light. And as he got closer, she saw a mouth full of jagged, sharp teeth.

“Hello, little girl,” he crooned. “Why don’t you step away from that dirty vampire and come sit on Santa’s lap?”

Buffy gaped at the leering demon, then at Spike. “Is he serious?”

“He is, pet. And I see he’s brought his minions with him.” Spike snarled and the smaller creatures wearing elf costumes shrank back from him. “Tell you what, Slayer. I’ll take the old fraud on, and you can play whack-an-elf with his minions.”

“Are they evil? Can I slay them?”

“Oh hell yeah, they’re evil. But they’re speedy little buggers. You’re more likely to just scare them into going back underground. But if you can catch it, kill it.”

Spike stepped in front of Buffy and snarled at the claus demon. “This lady isn’t sitting on any laps but mine. You picked the wrong couple’s Christmas to muck up.”

The demon snarled back and extended bony hands with long claws from his sleeves. “Take off, vampire. You’re out of your league here.”

Meanwhile, Buffy had managed to catch one of the “elves” and was using him like a baseball bat to smack the other elves in the head. As she swung him by his ankles, he shrieked and cursed every time his head connected with one of his companions. Eventually he stopped yelling. Whether he was unconscious or dead, Buffy wasn’t sure, but she threw his body on the growing pile of seemingly dead creatures and looked around for more.

“What the hell is she?” the demon snarled as he watched Buffy decimating his minions.

“Well, if I wasn’t here, I reckon she’d be your worst nightmare, but since I called it first...” Spike leapt over the demon’s head, pivoting in the air to come down behind him. He grabbed the head by the bushy white beard and yanked until he’d broken the demon’s neck. The body fell to the ground and began to dissolve, leaving nothing but a blood stained Santa suit behind.

“Huh. Thought that might be a little harder...”

“You killed Santa.”

“And you killed a bunch of elves. Between the two of us, we’ve pretty much killed Christmas, haven’t we?”

“All those disappointed kids....”

“All those kids who will now live to grow up and not spend their lives as claus demon minions.”

“Please tell me I didn’t just slay a bunch of kids...” Buffy’s face went pale and she looked like she might be sick.

“No, no, love. Those were little demons right and proper. And not baby demons either. You did the right thing. I was just letting my mouth run off again.”

“Are you sure?” Buffy’s color was coming back, but she still studied his face intently to see if he was lying.

“I’m sure. If they ever were children, it was so long ago that they can’t remember it. When I was young, that was what the grown-ups told us to keep us from running about and getting into mischief. Probably wasn’t even true.”

“They warned you about a demon?”

“Well, they didn’t say he looked like old St. Nick, but I’m pretty sure that’s the creature they were telling us to watch out for. Was a different time, love. Not everyone was as educated as they are now and the servants all believed in witches and demons.”

“And now people are so well-educated, they ‘know’ things like vampires and demons don’t exist... What’s wrong with this picture?”

Spike laughed and put his arm around her. “Rest of the world doesn’t live above a hellmouth. Most of ‘em can probably get through a normal live span without ever having to worry about something they aren’t sure they really saw. Only in Sunnyhell.”

As he was speaking, he was gently leading her back into the cemetery. He dropped his arm and took her hand instead, lifting it to his mouth to kiss her palm.

“Are we going where I think we are?”

He stopped. “Is that alright? I thought we—don’t have to, but if my balls get much bluer we could hang them on the tree....”

“I’m getting an interesting visual here...” she said with a giggle. “Your balls, hanging on a tree... are you sure you want to put that thought into my head?”

“I’m pretty sure you know you’ve got them in the palm of this little hand, Buffy. Not telling you anything you don’t already know.” He spoke through tight teeth and Buffy felt his grip on her hand loosen. She quickly clenched her fingers tighter and pulled him around to face her.

“I’m sorry,” she said, flinching at how surprised he was at the apology. “You’ve been very patient with me, and I’ve been playing maybe-I-will-maybe-I-won’t with you for too long.”

“Who are you and what have you done with the Slayer?”

“There’s just no point in trying to be nice to you, is there?” Buffy punched him on the arm so hard he yelped.

“Ah, there she is, my violent little Slayer.” In spite of rubbing his bruised arm, he was smiling at her as she glared at him, hands on hips. He stepped closer to her, unconcerned about the angry look on her face. “What did I tell you about causing pain to a vamp, love?” He leaned in and nibbled on her earlobe. “Just makes us more... interested.” He straightened up and began to pull her along again. “Not that I think I could be any more interested than I am right now. Can we just go to my bloody crypt?”



XXXXX

Spike closed the door and dropped the heavy bar into place with a satisfying thud.

“Let me get some candles going, love, then you’ll be able to see your way.”

Buffy watched as he moved off surely, his enhanced eyesight making walking across the dark room as easy as if it was daylight. She’d heard the snick of his lighter, and then warm, flickering candlelight illuminated the room. As soon as he could see that Buffy was able to make her way to the ladder, he dropped down to his bedroom and began lighting candles down there.

“Do you want me to put these out?” she called down. “Doesn’t the light show outside?”

“Prob’ly does, but it doesn’t matter. Don’t care who knows I live here, now that the soldier boys aren’t trying to find me anymore. Just leave them to burn out. Stone doesn’t burn.”

“’K. Here I come, ready or not...” She started down the ladder, only getting half way when she felt Spike at her back. He grabbed her by the waist and lifted her the rest of the way down. “Somebody’s impatient....”

“Somebody didn’t get off when we were interrupted by that bloody demon. I should’ve killed him just for that, never mind that he was evil.”

With a growl, he pulled her against the bulge pressing into her rear. His hands wandered all over the front of her body while he continued to rock against her ass and began sucking on her neck again. When Buffy was whimpering and gasping at the places he was touching her, he finally moved them to the bed and fell backwards onto it without ever breaking contact with her throat. It took him only a few seconds to have her shirt unbuttoned, her jeans unfastened, and one hand on her clit, kneading it until she was pushing up into his hand, reaching over her head, fingers in his hair as he worked her body until she was almost crying in need.

She pulled herself away and rolled off him, shedding her blouse and bra as she did so. While Spike tore off his tee-shirt and jeans, Buffy kicked her pants and underwear to the floor. They stared at each other for a few seconds, still breathing heavily, then Buffy threw herself at him. He caught her and fell backwards growling as they ground their naked bodies together.

He moaned when she opened her legs, and his cock seemed to find her all by itself. Buffy sat up, driving him even deeper as Spike grabbed her hips and held her in place.

“I’m sorry, love,” he gasped, “I’ll make it good for you later, I promise. Right now I just need to....” He rolled them over until he was on top and Buffy had wrapped her arms and legs around him. As though they’d been making love for years, they fell into an easy rhythm that quickly built to something that tested the bed’s ability to absorb their actions. Buffy met him thrust for thrust and was soon using her own teeth to smother the sounds she wanted to make. When she bit down on his shoulder and shuddered beneath him, he exploded into her, a mixture of profanity and flattery coming from his mouth.

They clung together until Buffy dropped her legs open and exhaled.

“Wowie, wow, wow,” she breathed into his neck.

“Right back at you, love. Was even better than I remembered... and that memory’s kept me happy more often than I want you to know.”

He rolled off, pulling her with him to rest her head on his chest. He twitched when her hair brushed across the bloody tooth marks on his shoulder.

“I bit you! I’m sor—”

“We’ve had this conversation before. Don’t even think about apologizing for that. There’s no way you didn’t notice what it did to me.”

“But now you’re bleeding. And hurt.”

“Bleedin’ will stop any second, and the pain...” He shook his head. “You could hurt me like that every day and I’d be looking for more.”

“Vampires are weird,” she said, relaxing into him. She felt him tense up and frowned, then realized what he was bracing himself to hear.

“I won’t mention him if you don’t,” she said, nuzzling him and kissing her way up his chest to his mouth.

“No idea who you’re talkin’ about,” he said, meeting her mouth eagerly. “There’s nobody here but us.”

“Exactly. Now, what did you say about ‘later’? And ‘making it good’ for me? Not that I didn’t think that was good,” she added quickly. “... but now I’m curious....”


XXXXXXX

Several hours and many demonstrations later, and temporarily sated, they were curled up under a duvet Spike had pulled from an old chest.

“Is it Christmas yet?”

“One more day, love. It’s Christmas Eve now, though. Probably ‘bout three or four in the morning.”

“Guess mom has figured out by now that I’m not coming home tonight.”

She felt his chest move as he snorted his agreement.

“That apartment idea....” She felt him stiffen. “Maybe we should look around? Something near the campus? But close enough that I can keep an eye on Mom and Dawn. Just in case that skanky bitch shows back up....”

He stroked her arm and nuzzled her hair for a moment. “If you’re sure you want to, love. I didn’t mean to put you on the spot. I just... I want to take care of you sometimes. And I know you don’t really need me to, but... “

Buffy sat up and looked around the underground room. The floor was covered with oriental rugs, both new and used. The walls were still obviously dirt and rock, but Spike had hung fabric on the walls near the bed and it was easy to imagine it was just an unusually decorated bedroom. She already knew about the gate he’d fashioned across the tunnel entrance, and the shower he and Xander had rigged up. The old toilet that he’d installed and linked to the sewer himself was a surprise, but his embarrassed face when he told her where it was and handed her a flashlight made it clear who he’d had in mind when he installed it.

“Well, it depends on how much of a jerk you’re going to be when I have to get up and go home before dawn sometimes.”

“Do you count seein’ you safely home being a jerk?”

“I think that probably counts more as not growing up as the tough guy you want us to think you were before you got turned,” she said, smiling at his frightened expression. “Doesn’t it?”

“Not going to dignify that with a reply,” he growled, refusing to meet her eyes.

“Well, I don’t know what I want to do, really. I mean, yeah, if Mom knew I had my own apartment, she wouldn’t worry when I stayed out all night. I don’t think we’d be fooling her about where you were, but...”

“Would be easier for you. I know that. You’d have your clothes there, your schoolbooks, food to eat....” He stopped talking to turn his head to nibble on her hip. “And no mum or sis just a thin wall away....”

“On the other hand, I need to be able to watch out for Glory and her minions...”

“If you aren’t living at home, she might forget about the niblet and your mum. She’s got no idea, does she?”

Buffy shook her head. “She just knows I know where her key is. She doesn’t know what it is.” She sighed. “We haven’t seen her for awhile. Maybe she’s given up...”

“Didn’t strike me as the giving up type, pet. But I hope you’re right. Mum and sis are always welcome to hide out here – and it’s safer for them now than it was last time they were here – but if there’s no reason for her to be watching your house...”

“So, it’s settled then. We—I’ll get an apartment and you’ll help me pay for it. And I’ll try to pretend that doesn’t make me a kept woman.”

He pulled her down on top of him again. “Doesn’t make you ‘kept’, makes you loved. ‘Sides,” he said with a grin. “If you think I’m sleeping anywhere but right beside you, you haven’t been paying attention. ”

“So, we’re going to live together? Like we’re a couple?”

“If you’re willing. Don’t want to presume anything, Buffy. If I dusted right now, I’d die a happy man. Don’t ever doubt it. Having you here, in my bed, it’s a dream come true. But I’m not looking for an occasional shag — not sayin’ I’d turn that down if that’s all you wanted, mind you, but....”

He took a deep breath and pushed her onto her back so he could lean over her and look into her eyes. “But I love you. Think I probably always have, just didn’t know it. Dru saw it. It’s why she left me. She said you were floating all around me. I thought she meant I was obsessed with killing you, but now I get why she was so brassed off. She knew what was going to happen.”

He dropped his head down and pressed their foreheads together. “I’m yours forever, Buffy. If you want me... even if you don’t want me... I’ll still be yours. Whenever, where ever, however. You tell me what you want, love.”

Buffy blinked at him. “I... I was just asking if we were going to be a couple.” She smiled up at him as he lifted his head. “I’m guessing that was a yes?”

“Uh... bloody hell! Yeah. It was a yes.” He flopped onto his back again. “Can we just forget the rest of that prattle?” He lifted the duvet and looked under it.

“What are you doing?”

“Just checking to see if I still have my balls. May have been touch and go there for bit.”

Buffy’s giggle brought a reluctant smile to his face, and he turned to look at her.

“You tell anybody about this, I’ll have to kill you.”

“So I can’t tell anybody that my... boyfriend... is secretly a sweet, romantic man who loves me?”

“Well, no, I’ve got a reputa—boyfriend?”

“Did you think I’d move in with some random guy I don’t even like?”

“You like me?”

“Most of the time. Told you that a couple of months ago, didn’t I?”

“Might have done. But I thought you were just trying to cheer up the big git’s punching bag.”

“I wouldn’t have said it if I didn’t mean it!”

“You also said we weren’t ever going to find ourselves in this position again, didn’t you? How was I to know which one of those statements wasn’t true?”

“I thought it was true when I said it,” she muttered. “It’s not like I was lying, I was just...”

“Just thinkin’ it wasn’t a good idea to shag another vampire, even one that was already evil and had no soul to lose. I got that, love.”

“I was trying to convince myself I couldn’t possibly want you as much as I did,” she said. “And, yeah, okay, I might have been thinking that I would be crazy to let myself fall—get involved with another vampire, one without a soul. And evil.”

Buffy waited for Spike to call her on her almost slip of the tongue, but he was surprisingly quiet, just gazing at her with the soft expression she was pretty sure he only showed when they were alone. He picked up her hand and brought it to his lips.

“I’ll never do anything to hurt you or anyone you care about, Buffy. You have my word.”

“You know that pretty much includes the whole world, right?” she said, her mouth twisting into a wry smile.

He sighed. “I ‘spose it does at that. Leave it to me to fall in love with a girl who wears a white hat.”

“I’m the Slayer, Spike.”

“You are. And you’re the best at it there’s ever been. Wouldn’t interfere with that for anything.”

Buffy yawned and snuggled into his side. He pulled the duvet higher and put his arms around her.

“Get some sleep, love. I’ll wake you when it’s Christmas.”

“I can’t sleep that long. I’ve got presents to wrap and cookies to eat and....” Her voice trailed off and her breathing slowed.

“And I’ll be there to help you with it all,” he whispered as he held her close. “Happy Christmas, Buffy.”

The End