Author's Chapter Notes:
Want more? Then review!
Don’t stare like a yokel, Buffy thought. Don’t stare like a yokel.

Which was difficult given where she was. A ten million dollar Penthouse in Hudson Yards.

“The building was designed by Cary Tamarkin,” the realtor, a tall brunette named Jennifer said.

“The ceilings are twenty-feet-tall. The apartment is a shade under 4,000 square feet.”

“Four beds, four and a half bathrooms, wide plank white oak floors. Slab marble everywhere,” Jennifer added.
Pausing for effect.

“Nice,” Buffy said. Tamely. “Very nice.”

Jennifer sniffed at her and turning up her nose slightly. Clearly, she’d been searching for a more exuberant reaction.

Buffy looked behind her. Willow, who’d introduced herself as Xander’s gal Friday, was on her cellphone. Texting furiously.

She had barely looked up from her phone since they’d met earlier this morning. Clearly, this wasn’t a priority for her.

“In the kitchen you’ll find imported Italian cabinetry,” the realtor continued. “Pietra Cardosa countertops and backsplash. Lefroy Books faucets. Really top shelf in the $10 million price range.”

“Ten million?” Buffy asked. Her voice squeaking.

“We’ll take it,” Willow said. “That is, unless you have some objection, Buffy?”

“I…” Buffy began. “I mean…”

“We’ll take it,” Willow said. “Today.”

“Excellent,” Jennifer said. Clapping her hands happily.
I’ll see you out there, Will,” Jennifer said. Politely. “As always, a pleasure doing business with you.”

Then spun on her stylish heels and left.

“Your trainer, stylist and nutritionist will be here by the EOD,” Willow told Buffy. In a well-practiced tone.

“You’ll also need…” Willow began. Opening her rather plain-looking purse, she began rummaging through it.
“This.”

Willow handed her a sleek, futuristic looking black and gold card with a diamond in the center.

"What is it?” Buffy asked. Taking it with exceeding caution. As if her fingers would soil it. Holding it away from her like she would a bomb.

“Daddy’s credit card,” Willow said.

Rolling her eyes when Buffy blushed at her bluntness.

“This card has no limits and zero restrictions,” Willow said. “So, spend away, honey.”

“Okay,” Buffy said. Not knowing how to respond.

“And last but not least,” Willow added. She pulled out a cellphone.

“I have a phone,” Buffy said.

“Ah, but this is your special phone,” Willow said. As if she were talking to a small child. Her tone rubbed Buffy the wrong way. “You need to keep this on you at all times.”

“Why?” Buffy asked.

Willow looked exasperated now.

“Because,” she began. Sighing.

Gods help me, Willow thought. Why is it always dumb blondes?

“When it rings, you need to…” Willow said.

Buffy was staring at her. Like a lost lamb. Absurdly, Willow found herself not wanting to hurt the woman.

“Be ready,” she finished.

It took a moment for Buffy to understand. And then she did.

“Oh,” she said. Bashfully. “Okay.”

She pursed her lips now and looked away.

“Why are you doing this?” Buffy asked. Suddenly.

Willow stared at her. Hard.

“Because it’s my job,” she said.

“I mean… why are you doing this…for him?” Buffy asked. Awkwardly

“Because,” Willow said. The irritation returned in full force.

For a moment, Buffy thought she caught something in the brunette’s eyes. Something intimate.

“Because he has no else in the world,” Willow said. Her expression making it clear there would be no further discussion on this subject.

For a moment, things got uncomfortable between the women. Really uncomfortable.

“And how many other women are there?” Buffy blurted out.
As she often did when she was nervous.

Willow looked skeptical now.

“Do you really wanna know?” she asked. “I mean, really?”

Buffy considered it. Part of her actually did. She shook her head.

Play the game, Buffy told herself. Just play the game. It’s only for a little while.

“I didn’t think so,” Willow said. “Cya around Muffy.”

“It’s Buffy,” she called. After the retreating figure.

“Whatever,” Willow said.

“Bitch,” Buffy called.

“Whore,” responded Willow.

“Freak,” Buffy retorted.

“Slut,” Willow said.

“Witch,” Buffy called.

As the door slammed shut.

Buffy stood there. Looking around at the gorgeous ten million dollar apartment. Feeling completely empty inside.

The next few days were hell on earth for Buffy. As her trainer, stylist and nutritionist – all women, Buffy noted – poked, prodded and measured every inch of her.

When she wasn’t being examined like a zoo animal, Buffy spent in bed doing research. Checking her main phone from time to time to see if William had reached out. Which he hadn't.

Her husband's former company had been bought out by a bigger law firm. Which was owned by a company in Shanghai.
Which was owned by another company in Mauritius. And so on and so on. Until her head hurt.

But finally, Buffy hit paydirt. The final holder seemed to be a company based out of Atlantic City. Which is where Xander’s hotel was.

Buffy's heart began hammering harder. As she began remembered what had happened to her mother's gallery.

Wealthy clients suddenly refusing to pay on time if at all. Contractors overcharging her. City hall up her ass about everything. Every week they seemed to find a new code that had been violated.

At the time, Buffy had chalked it up to a simple run of bad luck. But now she couldn't help but think a more sinister game was afoot.

There was one more thing she had to do. She didn't want to, but there was no choice. She had to see Faith.

With some distaste, she texted Faith her new address.

When she opened her apartment door to her former best friend, Faith whistled.

“Wow,” the brunette said. “Look at you B. Moving up in the world.”

Buffy responded by slapping the living shit out of Faith.

“I guess I deserve that,” Faith said. Softly. For a moment, she looked like she was going to cry.

So Buffy slapped her again. Harder this time.

“You deserve a hell of a lot more than that,” Buffy hissed. “I trusted you. Fucking whore.”

“And you?” Faith asked. Her voice bitter. “What do you deserve Ms. I'm going to go screw a billionaire for a cool $10 mill?”

Buffy stared at Faith. Incomprehensibly.

“You know it wasn't like that!” she said. “Of all people…”

Faith let out a short, sharp laugh.

“Oh come on, Buffy,” she said. “You were dying to do it. Ditch your pathetic husband and your pathetic life for a weekend of hot, no-strings attached sex with a rich guy. The money was just the cherry on top, babe.”

Buffy couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

“Newsflash. That doesn't make you a bad person. Just human. Like the rest of us. Stop pretending otherwise,” Faith added.

“And you'd just been dying to screw my husband,” Buffy said bitterly. “Weren't you? Just couldn't wait to take something from me again.”

“Hey,” Faith said. “Come on B. Let's take a little responsibility here. You practically pushed me into it.”

“Excuse me?” Buffy said. Finding herself too shocked to even strike Faith.

“Come on,” Faith said. “That little message you sent me the weekend when you were away with Daddy Warbucks?”

“What… what are even you talking about?” Buffy asked.

Faith scoffed, pulling her phone out of her jeans pocket.
“Hey. Could you please check up on Will for me tonight.
I’m really worried about him. Love, B,” the brunette said. Imitating a Valley Girl voice.

“Come on. You knew what was going to happen if I went over there. Especially after what happened with Riley. You practically gave me the green signal,” Faith said.

Shooting Buffy a triumphant look.

“I didn't send you any goddamn message,” Buffy said. Insistently. “Give it here.”

Faith handed over the phone without fuss. Buffy stared at the screen. The message was there all right. From her number.

“It doesn’t make sense,” Buffy whispered. “It just doesn’t…”

“Yeah right,” Faith said. “Good old B. Always the same. Never willing to admit when you made a mistake.”

And suddenly it clicked into place for Buffy. And then she knew.

“Fuck!” Buffy screamed. Then slung the phone at Faith's head. “Son of a bitch!”

The brunette ducked at let it smash into pieces behind her, wincing at the sound.

“What the fuck?” Faith yelled, shooting Buffy a bewildered
look. “Are you fucking crazy?”

Buffy took a deep breath, calming herself.

“I never want to see you again,” she told Faith. Turning her back. “Get the fuck out of here.”

Faith said nothing for a few moments.

“B,” Faith said. Softly. “I'm sorry. Believe it or not…”
“I am. Really,” she added.

“You're right,” Buffy said. Coldly. “I don't believe it.”

“Please B,” Faith said, her voice breaking suddenly. “I...
I don't have many friends.”

“No!” Buffy said. Feigning shock, she turned around and glared at Faith. “I can’t believe that! Not the whore that screws her friend's husband behind her back.”

“Please B,” Faith said, her eyes brimming with tears.

“I'll... I'll do anything to make it right. Just give me a chance.”

“There's no making things right,” Buffy said. Angrily
wiping away a tear. “Not after what you did.”

“I know,” Faith said. She sounded pathetic now. Broken. “But I can try. Can't I? Please. Please, B.”

Buffy took a deep breath. She couldn't believe she was even considering this. But right now, as much as she loathed Faith, the only thing she had on her mind was destroying Xander Harris. And she could only think of one way.

“Okay,” Buffy said. “I need your tech geeks.”