“I’d like to say something,” William said.

Buffy looked up from her dinner plate.

Ever since they’d gotten home from Tara’s office, there had been a comfortable silence between them. They’d cleaned up, done the laundry, and cooked dinner. Not a word had been said, but there had been no hostility. No animosity.

“I’m not sure I wanna hear it,” Buffy said. Offering him a little smile to make him understand she was only joking.

But her husband’s expression remained solemn.

“You were right,” William said. “What happened between you and him…”

“Will,” Buffy said. She dropped her fork into the plate and put her hands over her eyes. “I can’t…”

“It happened,” William added. “Just like me and Faith. Neither of us can change that.”

“I chose you,” Buffy said. Quietly. “Not him. You. I love you.”

“I know,” William said. Softly. “I love you too.”

Again, they both lapsed into silence.

William reached across the table and took Buffy’s hand. Buffy found herself momentarily startled. It was the first time they’d touched in weeks.

“Whatever happened….,” William said. Caressing her hand with his fingers. “Is in the past. It’s done. No more about it. Ever again. I promise.”

“Just you and me?” Buffy asked. Her eyes growing wide and hopeful.

“Just you and me,” William vowed.

Six months later….

“Do you mind grabbing me another drink, honey?” Buffy said. Her tone exceedingly sweet.

William groaned. But wisely kept it on the inside.

They’d both been lazing by the pool of their hotel all morning. Working on their tan.

Their therapist had finally convinced them to use some of the money on a long-deserved vacation. So they had.

Beautiful Ibiza. A place both of them had always wanted to visit.

William turned to the right. The sight of her took his breath away. Buffy’s gorgeous face was raised upwards. Her eyes were shut. Long, blonde hair falling down the right side of her face.

Basking in the warmth of the sunlight, his wife was positively glowing in that moment. Radiant even. Not to mention devastatingly gorgeous in her tiny, black bikini.

“Another cosmo, yeah?” William asked. Sitting up. Surreptitiously adjusting his tiny black shorts and standing.

“You betcha,” Buffy said. Flashing him a goofy smile.

“Sure thing luv,” William said.

He paused, then bent over her, and stole a little kiss from her lips.

Now, Buffy giggled.

When William attempted to do it again, she placed a hand on his chest.

“Drink now,” she said. Firmly. “Kiss me later.”

When William sighed heavily and turned, Buffy gave his bottom a playful slap.

“Oi,” William protested.

“I’m gonna get you for that Summers,” he warned. Furrowing his eyebrows.

“I’m looking forward to it,” Buffy said. Flirtatiously.

She dropped her eyes to his tiny black shorts and bit her lip. Then, looking back up at him, fluttered her long eyelashes. William knew his wife’s bedroom eyes when he saw them. Suddenly, he couldn’t wait to get that damn drink and get back to their hotel room. And the little minx knew it as well.

William beat a quick retreat to the beachside bar. The barkeep, who was of course shirtless and with a gleaming six pack, was in deep conversation with a female customer.

“Oi mate,” he said. Raising his hand.

The barkeep raised a finger. Indicating he would be with William shortly. Then resumed his conversation.

“Bloody hell,” William muttered. “Come off it, mate. Yer killing me, here.”

“Scuse me,” he heard a loud voice ring out. William looked over to the right.

A blonde in a hot pink bikini and high heels was leaning against the bar.

“Hello?” she said. Noisily thumping the bar counter. Trying to catch the barkeep’s attention.

Christ, William thought. The first thing he noticed was her incredibly sharp cheekbones and piercing green eyes. Her blonde mane was flowing and gorgeous. Her breasts firm and high. Hips slim and slender. Her legs were long as the day.

Only when she turned to him in outrage, did William realise he’d been gawking at her.

Now, she scoffed.

“So rude!” she said. Folding her arms across herself.

“I….” William began.

It took him a second. And then he realised she was referring to the barkeep.

“Yeah,” William said. Looking away. “Some people, yeah. Just plain old rude, yeah. No helping em, I guess.”

“I’m Irina,” she said. The slightest trace of an accent behind her highly-clipped voice. “And you are?”

“William,” he said.

“Oh, British is it?” Irina said. Appraisingly. “Sun never sets on British Empire, yes dahling?”

Now, William chuckled.

“Guilty as charged,” he said. “Lemme guess…. Russian?”

“Guilty,” Irina said. Offering him a little smile.

Suddenly, William realised he’d been keeping Buffy waiting. He looked back. To see his wife sunning herself.

“Oi mate,” he called at the barkeep. “We’re waiting here.”

Again, the barkeep raised his finger. To indicate he’d be with them in a moment.

“This is ridiculous,” Irina said.

“Tell me about it,” William said. Glancing back again in Buffy’s direction.

“Girlfriend or wife?” Irina asked.

“Wife,” he said. “And you?”

“Fiancée,” she said. Now, she pouted. “Oh, I’d kill for a Kir Royale.”

Finally, the barkeep appeared.

“Ladies first,” William said. Gallantly.

Irina shot him a grateful look, then placed her order.

“And you, sir?” the barkeep asked.

“A local beer and a cosmo mate,” he said. “Room 243.”

The barkeep shot him a thumbs-up, then set to work behind the counter.

Now, they turned to each other again.

“Is it hard?” Irina asked. Playfully.

William nearly choked on his tongue.

“Sorry?” he asked.

“Being married,” Irina said. “Is it hard?”

Of course, William thought. Idiot. What did you think she was asking?

He considered it.

“Sometimes,” he admitted. “But it’s worth it.”

“That’s good to hear,” she said. Then giggled.

“You nervous, yeah?” he asked.

“You can tell?” she asked. Innocently.

“Yeah,” he said.

“Should I be?” she asked. Seriously.

He considered it.

“Yeah,” he said.

Now, they both laughed.

“Your orders,” the barkeep said. Tapping the counter.

“Well,” Irina said. Lifting the glass and offering him a flirtatious smile. “I guess I’ll see you around…William.”

William nodded. Then carefully picked up Buffy’s cosmo and his own beer.

Well, he thought. Doing his best not to look over his shoulder. That certainly happened.

When William began walking back, he saw Buffy wasn’t in her seat. He looked around.

And saw Buffy by the poolside cabana. Talking to someone. A moment later, he realised whom Buffy was talking to.

It was him. Xander Harris III.

He couldn’t see the expression on his wife’s face. But her body was rigid. Her back was straight.

William doubled his stride.

The billionaire, meanwhile, was wearing a little smirk. His eyes were behind expensive sunglasses.

“You look real good, Buff,” he saw him mouth.

Immediately, Buffy grabbed a towel and covered herself up.

Now, Xander laughed.

“Relax,” he said. “There’s nothing I haven’t seen before.”

By now, he was almost at Buffy’s shoulder.

“Back off Harris,” he barked. “Or I swear to god mate…”

Now, Xander raised his hands and took a step back.

“Hey man,” he said. “Look, I was just….”

“Waiting for me,” Irina said. Chirpily. Now, she hopped into Xander’s arms. “Hello dahling.”

“Babydoll,” Xander said. Wrapping his arms around her.

“You…. you’re his fiancée?” William asked. Disbelievingly.

“You two know each other?” Buffy asked. Raising her eyebrows.

“We just met at the bar,” Irina said.

“Irina, this is Buffy,” Xander said. “And her husband William.”

“Hello,” Irina said.

“Hi,” Buffy said.

“And how do you know each other?” Irina asked. Innocently.

“We’re… old friends,” Xander said. With a thin smile. “Isn’t that right, guys?”

Buffy’s eyes narrowed. William gave Xander a dark look. It was all he could do to keep himself from slugging the bloke in the face.

“Oh that’s wonderful,” Irina said. “Why don’t the four of us have dinner tonight?”

“We already have plans,” Buffy said. Quickly.

I’d rather die, she thought.

“Oh, that’s too bad,” Xander said. “Are you sure?”

“Quite,” William said. Placing his hand on his wife’s back. “Shall we luv?”

“It was nice to meet you,” Buffy told Irina.

“Likewise,” Irina said.

Xander and Irina watched them go.

“Such a sweet couple,” Irina said.

“Aren’t they?” Xander replied. Agreeably. “Let’s go get a drink babe. I’m thirsty as hell.”

“Old friends, you said?” Irina asked. Locking her hands with his as they began making their way towards the poolside bar.

“So I said,” Xander replied.

“You slept with her, yes?” Irina asked. Pointedly.

“Yes,” Xander said. “Is that a problem for you?”

“Not for me,” Irina said. “But for him yes?”

“I suppose,” Xander said. He took a beat.

“So, did you flirt with him?” Xander asked.

“Yes,” Irina said.

“And?” Xander asked.

“And?” Irina asked. Pointedly.

“Did he flirt back?” Xander asked.

Irina hesitated. Now, Xander gave her a look.

“Yes,” she said.

“Good girl,” he said. “Come on. Let’s go get me that drink.”