CHAPTER EIGHT

She clicked off just as Spike caught her and grabbed her around the waist, picking her up and throwing her over his shoulder. He was on his way out of the room when her giggles and less-than-strenuous struggles stopped. She didn’t try to get loose, but she knew he felt her body tense up as she flashed back to the previous year.

“Bloody—I’m sorry, love. I’m an idiot. Don’t know why you haven’t staked me yet. Forgive me? Please?” As he spoke, he was setting her on the floor, his hands hovering over her shoulders as if afraid to touch her. She faced him, taking in his stricken expression and the genuine sorrow there, meeting his gaze and sharing his memories of the event that changed their lives. To Buffy’s shock, he dropped to his knees in front of her, arms around her legs and face pressed into her stomach.

“I’m so sorry, Buffy. I’m a fool and a wanker. Never meant to—”

She exhaled loudly and rested one hand on his head. “It’s okay. Really. We were having fun and it just.... Yeah, I had a moment... but I’m fine. I’d almost forgotten that we—”

“We didn’t do anything. I carried you off when you were vulnerable and took advantage of you. You should dust me.” He raised his head to watch her reaction.

“Okay, drama queen. If I didn’t dust you then, I’m certainly not going to do it now. It happened. We dealt with it. There’s only one thing you can do about it now.”

“Anything, Buffy. What it is? What can I do?” He gazed up at her, his honest desire to make up for his earlier behavior easily visible.

“You can get up and help me find someplace where you can remind me why I didn’t stake you that first time.” She giggled when he rose to his feet so quickly he almost fell over and had to grab her shoulder.

“Already found it,” he said. “If I promise to do it like a gentleman, may I carry you there?”

She blinked at both the request and the very un-Spike-like language and accent, until she remembered how easily he’d fallen into the formal speech that had been so soothing to her as an 18th century gentlewoman.

“Why, yes, William. You may.” Her smile was genuine and grew wider when she saw him get what she was saying.

He swept her up in his arms this time, cradling her as she rested her head on his chest. “It’s not what you deserve, my sweet, but I think you’ll find it much improved over that wretched building where we spent our honeymoon.”

“You always were terribly impatient,” she murmured into his chest. In spite of her lady-like demeanor and words, her fingers had found their way to his chest and were traveling lightly all over it. She managed to get one hand under his shirt to begin stroking his bare skin. Spike’s hiss as she touched him, brought another smile to her face. His arms tightened around her and he growled softly.

“That didn’t sound very gentlemanly,” she said, continuing to run her hands over his bare skin everywhere she could reach in that awkward position. She turned her head and nuzzled his T-shirt covered chest, biting gently on the nipple pebbled there.

“I think the gentleman has left the building, you minx. I believe the demon’s about to kick him in the arse.”

As he spoke, he entered the bedroom he’d checked earlier, and walked to the bed. He lowered Buffy to it and knelt on the floor beside her, putting their faces only inches apart. His eyes were dark with desire, but instead of kissing her he whispered, “You know I love you, don’t you? I don’t know why or how it happened, but I’ve been drownin’ in you since the first time I saw you. Thought it was just because you were a slayer and a challenge, but even the demon didn’t want to kill you.”

“Could have fooled me,” she whispered back.

“Fooled me too, for a bit,” he admitted. “Once I had you down...” He shook his head. “By rights I never should have let you leave that building, but all I could think about was keeping you safe.” He gave her a crooked smile. “And maybe makin’ sure Dru and the great poof never learned what I—we—did in there.”

Buffy huffed a soft laugh, then touched the side of his face. “And I should have staked you the minute I was me again. Not....” She smiled. “We pretty much suck at being enemies, don’t we?”

He nuzzled her palm, then shrugged out of his coat. “Don’t want to be enemies any more, love. Want to be your lover.”

“Then I guess you’d better get off the floor and into this bed—Oof!”

Without seeming to stand up, Spike had gone from kneeling on the floor to lying on top of her in one smooth movement.

“Your wish is my command, my lady,” he murmured against her lips as they began kissing again.

In no time, Buffy was tugging on his T-shirt and his hand was under her skirt. After a few seconds of struggling to bare more skin, they paused.

“Let me, love. I promise no ripping them off this time.”

Buffy nodded, suddenly shy in front of him as he began to remove her blouse and bra, his emotion shining in his eyes. He dropped his head to take first one, then the other nipple in his mouth, pulling on them until she was arching into his mouth, completely unaware that he’d also removed her skirt and panties. When he let go and sat back to run admiring his gaze from head to toe, she blushed.

“Hey, I’m naked and you aren’t,” she said in what she hoped was a voice less nervous than she felt. “What’s wrong with this picture?”

“Nothing,” he whispered, “it’s breathtaking...” A glimpse of her narrowing eyes brought his attention back to what they were doing. “But that’s prob’ly not what you meant, is it?” he said quickly, tearing his shirt off over his head with one hand and unzipping his jeans with the other. Growling when he had to pause to take off his boots, he finally dropped them to the floor and turned his attention back to Buffy.

Lying down beside her, he began kissing his way from her ear to her neck, to her shoulder, over to worry at one nipple for a few seconds, then down her ribcage, pausing to stick his tongue in her belly-button, and then moving down her hip. Giving her an evil grin as she gasped in anticipation (of what, she wasn’t exactly sure, she just knew the lower he went, the more she wanted him to keep going), he moved down her right leg, dropping wet kisses on the inside of her thigh, her knee, and finally made his way to her toes which he sucked on, one at a time.

Buffy’s surprised panting made him smile again as she learned that her toes were an erogenous zone. He sucked on and ran his tongue around all ten toes, then began another string of wet kisses up her left leg. This time, when he got to the top of her thigh, he sucked on her femoral artery briefly before nuzzling his way into the neatly trimmed hair at the apex of her legs.

Her sigh of satisfaction when he found what he was looking for quickly turned to gasps and whimpers as he brought her to the first of many orgasms. While she was still limp and relaxed, he moved up her body and nudged her slack face with his nose.

“May I come in now, my love?” His accent was back to being the one she’d realized was probably closer to what he’d been born with, but the body on hers was room temperature, made of solid muscle, and trembling with need.

“Come in, Spike,” she said, meeting his eyes. “I want you.”

With a groan, he pushed into her, pausing when he was seated and breathing hard against her neck.

“Been waiting so long to do this again,” he whispered. “You’ve got no idea, Buffy, how often I dreamed of being here again.”

“I think it might have crossed my mind once or twice,” she murmured, wriggling her hips against him. She smiled when he growled and pushed back. “But I might have forgotten exactly what it was like....oooooh!”



Spike spent the rest of the night proving to her that her memories were only shades of what they actually could have been had they remained in the old warehouse longer. When even super powers had finally been exhausted, they lay together, her head on his chest, his arms around her.

“You know,” she began, circling his nipple with one finger, “if we’re going to do this all night, every night, I’m going to have to quit school so I can sleep in the daytime.”

His chest jiggled against her cheek as he chuckled.

“Sounds like a wonderful idea to me, love, but I think your mum might have something to say about it.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right. She wouldn’t approve. She wants me to go to college.”

He turned slightly so as to be facing her. “If she did approve, would you want to?”

“Do this all night, every night?”

“Be with me all night, every night. Whatever we were doin’ or not doin’ there.”

“Spike...” She felt him stiffen as she started to speak, and kissed his chest before sitting up to continue. “You do remember that I’m still in high school, don’t you? Just ‘cause I turned eighteen today doesn’t mean I suddenly don’t have to listen to my mom. Or live with her. If you’re asking me what I think you’re asking, I have to say no. We can’t live together... even if you had someplace to live, which you don’t.”

“Wasn’t asking you to change your life, Buffy. Nor to leave your home and family. I was just asking if you would/i> do it. If it was possible. Would you want to live with me? Not asking you to do it. Not now, anyway. Know I’ve got to prove myself to you. I need to find my place in your life, and in Sunnyhell. I can’t live in your mum’s basement. Need to find a place to live, sort out... things.”

“Oh. I knew that.”

He snorted. “Sure you did.”

She stuck her tongue out at him in retaliation for his disbelief, leading to a temporary pause in the conversation as he managed to get his lips around it and suck it into his own mouth. When he followed the kisses up by pulling her down on top of him, she pulled away and stared down at him.

“You’re kidding me, right?”

He laughed and loosened his grip. “Probably am. Not that I couldn’t if you wanted to,” he added quickly, “but I am a bit too knackered to do my best work.”

“I’m not sure what ‘knackered’ means, but if it means too tired to feel your own legs, then me too. But we’re gonna have to get up. Tomorrow’s Saturday, so I can sleep in, but I should probably do it in my own bed. Alone.”

He sighed and squeezed her tightly, then relaxed his arms and let her roll off. He sat up and stretched his arms overhead.

“You’re right, love. Dawn’s coming. I can feel it. Need to get you home and find myself a place to bunk down for the day. Might just come back here and take one of the downstairs rooms. Place looks to have a pretty big basement. I’ll look around for a place to live permanent-like, before I come to get you tonight.”

Buffy threw his shirt to him as she began pulling her clothes back on.

“Okay. Let’s get going. We didn’t really do a patrol tonight–last night–whatever, so the next one’s probably going to be busy. I need my sleep.”

“I’m ready. Let’s get you home so I can get back here before the sun turns me into a walking torch.”



XXXXXXX

It didn’t take long for them to reach Revello Drive and they were soon standing on the back porch of a silent house. As Buffy expected, Joyce had left the door unlocked for her, and she had no trouble opening it. She turned in the doorway and put her face up for the kiss she knew was coming.

“Sleep well, love.”

“I’m pretty sure I will,” she said with a wry smile and reddened cheeks.

“Better than sleeping pills, love is.” He smiled and lifted her hand to his lips. “Goodnight, Buffy. I’ll be back tomorrow evening.”

“Promise?”

“Tomorrow. The next night. Till the end of the world.” He brushed his lips over hers. “Now go get your sleep.”

“Goodnight, Spike.” She watched as he faded into the shadows, then closed the door and locked it. “I’ll see you tomorrow,’ she said softly as she turned to go to her room. “And the next night, and the night after that....”

The End