Chapter 13


"Hi." It was meek, she knew, but her nerves had the best of her.

"Willow. Wha-what are you doing h-here?"

"Well I thought maybe you could help with research of the magical nature. Since I haven't done anything remotely witch like and don't plan to either... here I am."

Tara stood in the doorway, playing nervously with her sleeves. "You need m-me to help with research?" It was a question filled with skepticism.

"You were always better at the deep-understanding of spells."

"You did a spell?" Tara was always gentle and kind, but when it came to things she cared about, she was never more stern.

"No! I made a potion... Well that sounded incriminating... But entirely with science, the plain old scientific non-wiccan way of pouring and mixing."

Tara’s features had relief written all over them. “That’s good. I’m happy for you Will.” They shared a smile before she invited her ex-girlfriend inside. “Is everyone okay? Is Dawnie...?”

“Fine. Everyone is fine. Actually, it’s Spike. I don’t know how exactly it happened, but he’s not a vampire anymore. The only thing he said was out of the ordinary was the potion I gave him.”

If confusion had a patented look, she was wearing it. “He’s human? W-what potion?”

Out of excitement Willow couldn’t help herself, and at a mile a minute she unloaded it all. “Oh! And Dawn and I walked in the living room and saw Buffy and him after a night of romping.” Okay, so she had to tell somebody, even if it was irrelevant to the situation of finding out why the vampire had a working heart. Except Tara didn’t look very shocked... Why wasn’t she shocked?

“Th-they were in the house?”

“Yep... Say, why don’t you look surprised Buffy and Spike are together?”

Her cheeks were blushing. Willow knew that was her ‘tell’ when she was feeling shy and anxious. “T-t-together? I thought they were j-just...”

“You knew? How?”

“Buffy. She asked me to look into the resurrection spell you did, a-and it slipped out.”

“It’s been happening? The romps? I’m her best friend... Why didn’t she tell me?” It hurt when somebody doesn’t trust you with an important secret, but Willow felt terrible that, as her best friend, didn’t know anything happening in her life.

“Buffy’s been through a lot. She didn’t even mean to tell me; b-but they’re an item now?”

“I guess. They told us what happened this morning.”

Tara nodded, “So, what did happen exactly?”

Despite having her feelings hurt over the entire matter, Willow put them aside to relay the whole story. She told Tara of the demon that started it all, and how it made Buffy think she was crazy. More importantly she told why Spike had to drink the potion in the first place, as to why they think that was the cause of his transformation. With the full story in hand the blond witch agreed to help determine the reason Spike had such a reaction to the antidote and if there could be any unforeseen side-effects. This sort of case wasn’t heard of on a regular basis so it intrigued Tara, and of course if she could help her friends, she gladly would. Having quality time with the girl she loved was a bonus.

****

The past few days had been filled with numerous revelations that Buffy thought could have stretched for an entire month and still could have done without. She was mentally unstable, Spike was human after being dead for over one hundred years, her new-found relationship had been outed -in the most embarrassing of ways- she had to go through the dreaded explanation of it all, and it seemed Willow and Tara were well on their way to getting back together.

Although, she couldn’t be happier for her two friends because last she saw, the couple looked extremely cozy working side by side at the dining room table, but she knew they still had a ways to go before getting back into a relationship. Once she and Spike had a very long talk with Dawn and Willow, he made up another phony excuse in order to leave, saying there was some business he needed to attend to. Before she had a chance to demand answers for his shady attitude, Dawn pounced on the opportune moment, suggesting they spend their free time together for some quality sister bonding. While her best friend was with Tara tackling the books and her boyfriend- Wait. Was William the Bloody her boyfriend? This day was so strange.- was off ‘taking care of business’, Dawn and Buffy spent the day talking, eating, and movie watching. Soon, the sun nestled down under the horizon, bringing a blanket of night over the town, presenting the perfect ending to a tension riddled day.

****

Though it would be nice, responsibility and destiny never took a holiday, and as much as she wished, evil didn’t either. Dusk is when scary things came out to play, using nature to their advantage, and hiding behind the mask dark provided. Luckily, the Slayer worked the graveyard shift, hunting the demons that weren’t counting on her presence. Patrol was one of the most peaceful times in her life. It was her alone time, the quiet let her think without having to listen to everyone’s ‘advice’ and pretend to care. Tonight had been slow, so once she dusted her only vampire, it was her thoughts keeping her company.

In a strange way she felt proud of herself. Sure, she has been known to save the world every now and then, but this was different than people commending her on achievements. This was personal. She had stood up against her friends and family for something she truly wanted and gave them no say to try and persuade her. Buffy knew why she had been so brave and what gave her the strength. Without Spike she probably would have crumbled.

Thinking of her rock anchor, there was no harm in dropping by his place since she was already out and about. Well in all honesty, the town was so small that nearly everything was in a reasonable vicinity to her home, but it was easier to justify a visit with a logical excuse. She wandered aimlessly through the scattered pattern of grave stones to kill time, and make sure her passing through was a legit patrol. An unexpected figure ahead seemed to be following the same moon lit path as she and her thoughts of having something fun to do tonight completely altered. It was a man, she could tell. An expensive suit clung to the broad frame, and she could tell he had well groomed brunette hair from her view as she followed inconspicuously from a distance. Something was off. Everything about him seemed suspicious in this setting. Even if she wanted to go on to visit Spike without having to deal with this goon, he was heading in the same direction so they were bound to cross paths.

Finally, it dawned on Buffy that not only were they heading in the same direction, they were heading to the same mausoleum. She could tell this mysterious stranger wasn’t just roaming randomly at midnight. He was on a mission. His fast pace and the way he moved his body in hard turns around the head stones told her he meant business, and whatever his business, it involved Spike.

****

Colt didn’t waste time with manners or pleasantries as he barged into his sire’s quarters, throwing the door open with a bang. “William!” He shouted as he stepped inside, scoping the dark space for his old friend.

Though she kept her distance, she was close enough to hear everything inside. When she became such an eavesdropper she didn’t know, but this was probably the same man she saw Spike with in the alley. Her keen sense of hearing picked up that he was also English and most likely extremely old and pale if he refers to Spike as William. Evidently this guy was angry, for after a moment of silence, she heard a crash, like a lamp being thrown into the concrete wall. It was obvious Spike wasn’t there, due to the lack of British curse words and slang. Plus, there were a few candles lit, and Buffy didn’t see anyone else besides the intruder.

“I’m sorry, Spike isn’t here right now, but unluckily for you, I am.” Buffy recited as she stepped into the entrance with her hand on her hips. In the most casual way, Colton turned around with a warm smile gracing his lips, taking a few short steps to stand before her. She couldn’t help but think how visually appealing he was for something she wasn’t suppose to like.

“Ahh, yes. Miss Summers. I should have presumed you’d be here.”

“You know me. Which apparently you do.”

“Well of course. You are rather world renowned, for a Slayer, that is.”

“And you're rather charming, for a blood sucking baddie, that is.”

Unbothered that she knew his descent, “Well, if William happens by, please do tell him I came by.”

“And who would you be?” She questioned, cocking her head to one side.

Again, he put on his charismatic smile, “Just an old mate,” he kindly said as he began to walk past.

Buffy gripped his bicep, not allowing passage, “I don’t think-”

Colton put a stop to her speech by twisting the hand at his arm upwards. The Slayer in Buffy took over and she was done talking. Swinging wildly with her free hand, connecting with Colt’s jaw, she was able to free herself from his wrist lock.

“You remember when I said you had charm? I lied.”

Bringing her foot high to kick him in the chest, she was surprised at his speed. Colton grabbed hold of her leg, slamming her body to the cold pavement of the burial chamber’s floor, knocking the wind out of her. Taking a moment to regain her ability to breathe proved to be a moment too long, for the next second her mystery man had pressed his foot into the crook of her neck, applying a great amount of pressure.

“I assure you I have a great deal of charm. I am also not to be underestimated.”

Breathing was becoming difficult. Whatever her counter move was going to be, she needed to act fast while she was still conscious. So far, trying to pry his foot off seemed impossible, and all she could think was how much this vampire weighed. Buffy needed a new approach so she wriggled free her trusted stake, ready to pierce his calf. Colton caught on, quickly kicking the weapon from her grasp.

Okay, plan B, she thought, then shot her left leg up, the tip of her shoe crushing into the small of his back, finally knocking him off balance. The Slayer rolled to safety and gasped for air as she fought to stand up. Making a fight her own was what she did best, and since her gut was telling her to get out of the confined space of the crypt, then she would. The openness of the cemetery felt best to her, so she made her way outside, knowing her opponent would follow.

She searched the ground for a weapon first because the one she brought was blocked by the over-dressed Englishman. This wasn’t her night, all she found was grass and headstones, and there was nothing of use. Buffy knew her only option was to lure him out further to make a clear passage into Spike‘s so she could get herself armed. Although, without a weapon advantage, they’d have to go hand to hand until she got her chance.

When Colton came out after his target he was rushed with a punch to his head and a jab to his side. He went on the offensive, trying to block the next few hits and kicks she threw, but she still managed to get a few in. This Slayer was definitely good; he had to give her that. Now he had a small understanding as to why William had the obsession that he has over her.

****

With the helpful cover of the fully bloomed bushes, Spike angrily stood in wait, trying to figure his best move. He was on his way back to his place, after spending all day researching the hell out of his new human situation and his worst choice of creation, when he came across The Slayer and Colton in a confrontation. What in God’s name was he suppose to do? He could jump in and try to help his lady, knowing without the strength he had he’d be out in two seconds, plus blow everything with Colt. Or, he could wait it out till Colton got it good, and in case he got away, the plan would still be in motion. Though it wasn’t Buffy’s mistake that made Colt into the creature he is, without a way to defend her or himself, he may have to let her take care of his problem. With a clenched jaw and narrow eyes, he waited and watched her in action as the pair continued with the fisticuff.

****

This was it. Her chance to sneak back in and arm herself so she could end this vamp for good. As she knocked Colton onto his back from the forceful impact of a round-house, she turned, heading for Spike’s, but stopped dead in her tracks. To the side of the graveyard’s foliage stood out an almost white head of hair. It had to be Spike, of course, but why was he standing there? It looked like he was mad as hell, but why wasn’t he by her side instead of watching secretly? Buffy knew the two men knew each other, was this his secret business? To just give her to this fiend? Questions flooded her brain, none of them making sense, but all of them colliding together.

Colt had flipped to a standing position, just as his prey began darting back inside. When he started after her, Buffy stopped, distracted by something or another, and he made her mistake into his beneficial moment. He kicked her from behind so she’d fall face first into the dirt, then picked her up and slammed her head into the nearest headstone. Like a zoned in predator, he repeated his previous action. As he bashed her into the stone for the second time, it broke and crumbled into bits, on which he dropped her.

****

“Come on. Get up Buffy,” Spike roughly murmured out loud as rage threatened to overcome him. Why she had stopped like that in the middle of her retreat, he didn’t understand. It was a split decision, but it was one that didn’t take much thinking. When he noticed Buffy wasn’t moving and his childe was about to strike again, he came barreling out of hidden location.

“You bloody bastard! Wha’ the fuck do you think you’re doin'?!” All he could see was red as he stormed over.

“Oh. William. There you are.” The vampire acted calm, as if there wasn’t even a body lying at his feet.

Once Spike made his way in arms distance, his fist shot out, striking Colton as hard as he could muster. Though it took him aback a bit, its effect was as if Spike had flicked him on the nose. Hitting his sire back would be like beating a parent or elder, so Colton just stood his ground, keeping his hands to himself as he sneered back.

Looking down, Spike could see blood running down the side of Buffy’s face as she lay lifelessly on the pile of rubble. Inside, all he wanted to do was take her in his arms and protect her from any further harm, but outside in the harsh reality, he had Colt to deal with.

“Wha’ the hell did you not understand ‘bout the plan?” God, how he hoped playing this off worked in his favor.

“I came by for you, old chap. Though, as I reflect, it seems so did she,” he wiped at the dirt covering the back of his suit’s sleeve, “I tried not to make it come to this, however, I believe the outcome is our advantage. We can perform the ritual without any disturbances or hassle.”

“An’ what’s the fun for me with out the chase? Spike don’ play unless there’s other puppies. We do it my way or not at all.”

“You know, I’m beginning to think that being human has made you think like one. Even with no soul, you’ve gone soft compared to the master vampire I’ve known you as.”

What’d he just say? “Right... Well soul or no soul, I still like me a challenge. Side’s, The Slayer here likes herself a good rough n’ tumble almost as much as The Big Bad.”

“Even so, don’t you think tonight’s little encounter will put quite a dent in our arrangements?”

“Please. I’ll take her, be her knight in bloody shinin’ armor an’ oh, how she’ll tremble at those dimpled knees when I sink my teeth into her. Jus’ the thought makes my tummy growl. Those wide, helpless eyes... the sight’ll be delicious when I drink my fill an‘kill her once an’ for all.” Though, what he was saying was only to convince Colton, the words spilling from his mouth made Spike ill. He hated having to act like he’d enjoy every moment of killing Buffy, but it was the only way he knew to protect his loved one.

****

She was dizzy, everything around her was blurred, but she could hear voices. It was hard to concentrate on what was being said. The outside world was muffled as she fluttered in and out of consciousness. A few words and small phrases were all she could pick up on because her head was pounding relentlessly against her skull. No soul... Kill... Slayer...