Chapter 9


The only time Spike’s skin was under the sun’s rays, not catching fire, within a hundred plus years, was the few minutes he spent brawling with the Slayer on UC Sunnydale’s campus with the Gem of Amara on his finger. While he couldn’t deny he had a blast getting under her skin, he never got the chance to actually enjoy the freedom of walking among the city streets in after-noon hours. When he followed Buffy out of the crypt this morning, after being a vampire for so long, it was difficult to go against his instincts and trust he wouldn’t go up in flames. As he stood at the lights threshold, squinting up at the clear blue sky, allowing his eyes to adjust, small fingers laced with his. Spike squeezed them delicately as he stepped fully out of the shadows cover, and wasn’t sure if it was Buffy’s radiance or the sun’s, spreading across his flesh. Looking at her, the gracious smile and encouraging eyes chased away any doubt in his mind.

****

Quality time with the one and only Chosen One was hard to come by unless you were an evil beastie trying to take over the world. Everything today, from the moment his angel whispered in his ear, was surreal. Just being with her, having her in his company was enough to make this the best day of his life. There were still problems and issues between them, but those could wait. For the time being he wanted to bask in what they had for the day.

The blond pair had just been walking aimlessly through the town in a comfortable silence, enjoying what nature offered. Buffy was the first to break the quiet. The butterflies swarming in her stomach were easier to ignore when her mouth was busy chattering.

“How’s your head?”

Spike’s hand mindlessly reached up, touching the bruised area, “Don’ heal like I use to.”

“Yeah, that’s kind of a perk to being super human,” he smiled but didn’t say anything, so she added, “So… what do you wanna do?”

Throwing his hand over his chest, pretending to be astonished at her lack of preparation, “Well I thought you were the one plannin' the day’s activities, Luv.”

“It’s not like I wrote out an agenda attached to a clipboard. This sorta was the plan.” That was something she always liked about Spike, vampire or human, he could always have fun and act goofy. Unlike Angel who was always in the serious mode around her.

Pointing to a diner down diagonal from them, "Fancy some of those breakfast dishes in the meantime? You need some meat on those bones."

"You mean you’re not still full after eating everything my kitchen had to offer?"

"It's a great thing, having a metabolism."

As they stepped off the curb and into the street so they could meet their destination, the Cockney's eyes followed the flight of a bird that crossed before him. It flew around the corner, and he noted the suspicious dark van parked in a spot adjacent to the small café.

Spike held the door open to the eatery for Buffy and as she walked through she kindly said, "Thank you." It felt strange to allow him to be so proper around her because normally she would act annoyed or want to prove her independence every time he displayed those manners. After time, she assumed she broke him of the habits, but apparently once a gentleman, always a gentleman.

"Well aren't you two just the cutest couple in town!" A heavy set, middle aged waitress announced as she approached the booth where they were settling into. "My names Pam, I'll be taking care of you this morning. What can I start ya off with?"

A light blush crept up Buffy's neck from the waitress’s bold comment, "Uhh... Orange Juice? Please."

Spike had a smirk on his face and couldn't take his eyes off the girl across from him, "Same."

"I'll be right back with those," she informed, then scampered off to get the drinks.

"Look at us, already gaining more attention than the Queen herself," Spike teased as he opened the paper menu, scanning its contents. "I'm sure you've eaten breakfast sometime in all your years... What do you recommend, sweetheart?"

"Well, I'm a fan of pancakes, but I practically stalk french toast. Add tons of syrupy goodness, and I'm hooked for life."

"Right then."

Pam was coming their way, two cups filled with juice in hand. Placing the glasses in front of each, directing her attention to Buffy, "Here ya two go. Have you decided yet?"

"I'll have the french toast. With scrambled eggs."

Pam scribbled on her pocket sized paper, "Mhmm... And you dear?"

"French toast, sausage, and tons of syrupy goodness." The last part he emphasized, looking at Buffy, for which he received a small giggle.

Their server put on a huge smile, giving the young girl a piece of advice before departing, “Hunny, you got yourself a good one, hold onto him.”

With that cocky grin, “Somebody likes me. Think we can get a free meal if I bring out the charm?”

Buffy started laughing, “Don’t make me have to fight her off.”

Raising an eyebrow, mind reeling with all the possibilities, “Now that could be fun. We’d have to find a better looking chit, but-”

“Eww! Besides, she wouldn’t last but 10 seconds with me.”

“Well you’ll jus’ havta’ go easy on her. Drag the charade out some.”

****

By the time their meals arrived, Spike and Buffy had become the people that always laughed too loud in public, like the entire world was to know their conversation was highly hilarious. And yet again, Buffy was amazed of how the Brit shoveled all his meal into his mouth so fast, then because she felt full after eating almost half of hers, Spike was in the process of finishing off the rest.

“You don’ eat enough,” he commented between bites.

“If I ate like you, I’d be bigger than a Frakchal demon,” she pointed out.

“Well, we can’t have that,” Spike retorted sarcastically.

"Shut up," Buffy playfully countered.

Buffy had grown silent, tentatively staring out the large glass windows of the establishment. She was in her own Buffyworld, the gears probably turning in her head. Spike cleaned off his second plate of the morning, pushing it to the side of the table so Pam could take it to the back to be cleaned. He was hoping that from her position she couldn't see her mystery vehicle that was apparently monitoring their morning together. If those pip-squeaks ruined this rare time he was having with Buffy, he would surely make them pay for it. There was only one way to find out what she was concentrating on.

“I can never figure what’s swirlin’ ‘round in that noggin of yours.”

She continued to look out the window, “I was just thinking how we’ve both died. But we both have, sort of, a second turn at living. Starting a life like new.” She turned back to him, curiosity strong in her features, “What did you do? Like when you were alive, before you were a vampire, what did you do for fun?”

“Oh no. We’re not goin’ there.” Spike dismissed her question as he stood up, tossing money onto the table top. “No need to get your knickers in a twist over it either.”

“You’re lucky I drank too much juice,” she raised from the booth, “When I get back from the bathroom, I’ll prod till you spill.”

“Hurry along then,” he watched as Buffy disappeared into the women’s room, completely out of sight, before walking over to the pay phone hanging on the wall.

Across the street and slightly around the blocks corner, still sat the black van that had been sitting there upon entering the restaurant. Because Buffy had informed Spike about the group of geeks and the mysterious van that would pop up everywhere she was for the past months, he knew it had to be their vehicle. She had also told him of the Nerd Crew’s intent on making her life even harder. He didn’t really give a shit about them, but this seemed like the opportune moment to rid these blokes for Buffy’s sake.

The phone rang twice before a young lady’s voice answered, “Sunnydale Police Department.”

“There’s a black van, three men inside, same ones you’ve been on the search for, responsible for the theft at the museum and bank robbery, sittin’ at Broadway and Market.” Just as the Slayer came walking out, he hung the phone on the receiver.

“Okay, start talking.”

He slid his fingers around her palm, “Come,” leading her out the back through the kitchen.

This wasn’t the way out most customers would use, so she was a bit confused, but let him lead her along. “Where are we going?”

“You wanted to know what I did.”

****

There was no sense in telling Buffy of what he’d just done because once she learned of the Trio’s location, she’d head straight for them and they would high tail it back into hiding the second she posed a threat. Spike had known Warren and the rest of the clan had been the ones who pulled off the nicking-diamond and freezing-guard bit since he paid them a visit to test the working status on his chip. Besides identifying their scents as the same ones at the museum, the stolen diamond was sitting out in the open on the card table in their ridiculous basement layer when he came waltzing in. As far as the bank robbery, any person with an IQ would put two and two together. What he didn’t understand was why the Scooby gang hadn’t figured this all out by now, or at least call the authorities on them for stalking Buffy. They were just a few pathetic boys, not in any way a force of evil that she needed to waste Slayer time on. In cases like these, it was best to just let the justice system take over their nuisances.