Dawn

When Buffy told Dawn that Claudia was a whiner, Dawn didn’t know what to believe. She’d gone through her own phase that she still cringed about if she thought about it too hard. But honestly, nothing took the cake like Claudia. Dawn knew that Buffy needed the time with Spike, but holy geez, she didn’t know how much longer she could stand it.

Claudia whined about how Houston was way too humid, how slaying didn’t allow her to get her beauty rest, how her boyfriend wasn’t a good kisser, how her clothes were always dirty, and how Buffy was exasperating. That was the word she used: “exasperating.” Talk about pot calling the kettle black.

When Claudia brought up Buffy in negative terms, Dawn literally felt like she might scream at the slayer, so she excused herself and locked herself in the bathroom for way longer than anyone actually had to use the restroom even if they were sick.

“Dawn? Are you coming out?” Claudia asked at one point, petulance in her tone.

In reply, Dawn dropped some raisins into the toilet and made some moaning sounds. (Claudia only had oatmeal raisin cookies, and Dawn hated raisins, so she’d picked them out.) She hoped raisin-plopping was gross enough that Claudia would leave her alone. Dawn heard Claudia gagging and held back a giggle. Once the slayer was gone, Dawn sat on the cool tiles with her back on the wooden cabinets.

She opened up her history book and thought of Spike because her online class was covering 19th century British history. She smiled, hoping that Buffy asked him to stay. If he did, Dawn hoped that she could ask him how things actually were during the time period he grew up. She had a feeling it was way different than what was portrayed in the books. She was also interested in what Spike was like as a human. What had his family been like? She had no idea. The only thing she could think was that they were probably decent people. He learned how to be nurturing somewhere, and it certainly wasn’t from Drusilla. . . or Darla or Angel, for that matter.

Before she got too bogged down in the reading, Andrew’s phone beeped in her bag and then it beeped again two more times in rapid succession.

Dawn retrieved the phone and jogged it on before the annoying slayer could come nose around and see what was up.

There were three text messages.

One was from an unknown number, and two were from “Her Vampyre.”

Dawn smiled and opened the ones from “Her Vampyre” first. “Little Bit, all is good here.” A later text read, “Do you mind staying there for the evening?” Earlier, Spike had been nervous and asked her to come home just in case things were rough with Buffy. Now, he’d apparently changed his mind. Well, crap. Crappity crap. Dawn might have hide in the bathroom all night. Maybe there were towels she could use to make the bathtub a little softer and more comfy?

Before she responded to Spike, she checked the message from the unknown caller. It read, “Dawn! It’s Andrew!!!!! Do you have my phone?!?!? It’s an EMERGENCY. Do not! I repeat: DO NOT look at any of the messages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Dawn laughed but tried to muffle the sound in her sleeve. Too late, Andrew.

Claudia stomped over. Damn it. “Dawn? Are you feeling better? I heard you laughing or something!”

Dawn groaned and tried to turn her aggravation into a sound of sickness. “Ohhhh.”

The slayer left again and quickly.

Then, Dawn turned back to the message from Andrew. She decided to ignore it. Instead, she texted Spike back, “Um, I really don’t think I can stay here any longer. Please? Tell Buffy. She’ll understand.”

There was a long period of silence in which Dawn stared at the screen and willed Spike to text her back. Then, he did.

“On our way. Buffy said to say she’s sorry.”

Dawn let out a rush of air in relief. “OMG. Thank you!”

“Heard the slayer there is right annoying.”

“Oh yeah. Major understatement.”

“Pigeon, can I ask you something?”

Dawn smiled. “Anything.”

“Mind if I stay with you birds for a while?”

Dawn let out a whoop of happiness and jumped up, doing a little jig in a circle and not caring how loud she was. Then, a bit out of breath, she smiled at herself in the mirror. She texted back, “Staying is of the good.”

The end.