Chapter 3-

The next few days were touch and go for Buffy. She had to have one more surgery to stop the bleeding, but for the most part she was going to be ok. Everyone was just waiting for her to wake up.

William had gone home the next day, but after work, he made it a point to check on Buffy; however, the nurse he’d asked before, wouldn’t give him anymore information. Even with him being an EMT, he still couldn’t get the information her. He was determined to be by her side no matter what.

Riley was to busy with his current case, but he’d never once shown up. He had his secretary check up on her when he thought of it. Hank and Joyce still were unreachable, but Willow tried every chance see got, when she wasn’t with Buffy.

***
After William’s shift at one thirty in the morning, he went back to the hospital in hopes to see Buffy, but he was directed to Willow, who was in the cafeteria getting coffee. He headed down to the cafeteria shortly there after.

As he walked in, he noticed a mousey red head sitting in the corner drinking her coffee. He didn’t move, he just watched her for a moment, giving her the privacy she needed. When he was standing there, he observed her very carefully. She wore her long red hair in pony tail, and jean overalls with a sweatshirt over them. Her eyes were red and swollen from all the crying she had been doing.

The cafeteria looked like any other. As you walked in, the dinning area was right there as you walked in, and off to the left the food dispensing area. The walls were decorated with various prints of famous paintings, making it a neutral environment.

Standing there for a moment, William sighed. He didn’t want to intrude, but he had to know. He knew she wasn’t dead. It was something that he felt strongly about.

As he got closer to the young woman, she looked up as she took a drink of coffee, watching him walk closer to her, and then he finally stopped next to the table.

“Yes?” She asked and curiously looked over his attire. She suddenly got a worried expression on her face and she thought something was seriously wrong. “What is it?”

Looking down, William realized why she was worried. “Oh! This?” He pointed to his jacket. “I am an EMT, but off duty now.”

She relaxed a bit as she sighed in relief. She just couldn’t deal with something else right now. One trauma was enough.

“Are you Ms Rosenberg?”

“Yes I am.”

“May I?” He gestured to the unoccupied seat a crossed from the red head.

“Yes, please, sit.” She gestured for him to sit. “What can I do for you?”

Suddenly William felt shy and couldn’t find the words he was looking for. Willow smiled at him as if encouragement for him to continue.

“I’m…I’m William McClay.”

It didn’t seem to register with Willow as to who this man was.

William continued, “I’m the one that pulled Ms. Summers out of the wreckage.”

“Oh…Oh William, I am so grateful that you saved my friend. Thank you!” She reached a crossed the table and took William’s hand into hers. “Thank you!”

Bashful, William smiled brightly. He was happy to see that she was happy, especially with the circumstances as they were.

“I was…wondering if…you could give me an update on her. I’d really like to know,” thought William, still holding Willow’s hand.

“She’s holding her own,” began Willow delicately. “She went to surgery yesterday to contain the bleeding, and all we’re waiting for is for her to wake up.”

As William listened, he shook his head, acknowledging what she said. “Is there anyway…Can I see her. I just have to know she’s ok.”

Willow slid out of the booth and stood up in front of William, arms outstretch. “Come on, I’ll take you.”

William took her hands and let her lead him to the floor Buffy was on and into her room. Buffy lay quietly on the bed, with tubes still sticking out of her. When he saw that, he stopped, gripping Willow’s hand tightly.

“It’s ok,” She urged him to go sit next to Buffy.

As he released Willow’s hand, William hoped that by him being here, she’d miraculously wake up, but he knew that it wasn’t possible. She’d wake up when she was ready. Willow left, giving him a few minutes before any nurses might happen by.

William crossed to Buffy’s bed, and pulled up a chair next to her being quiet as he can. The woman in the next bed was sleeping.

“Hi Buffy,” William said a few moments later as he took her hands in his. “I’m William. I…I saved you. I just wanted to make you were ok.” He didn’t know exactly what to say now and he noticed book laying on the nightstand beside the bed and picked it up. “Guess Willow’s been reading this to you.” He opened the book to the page that was marked and he began to read.

Half hour later his cell phone vibrated. William set the book down and answered his phone.

“Hullo,” he answered.

The lady on the other side of the curtain was getting restless.

“What the bloody hell do you think you’re doing?” The raven haired woman pulled the curtain back. “Can’t you see that I’m resting?”

Drusilla Wolfram had a breast enlargement, but something went wrong with the procedure and it landed her in the hospital. The doctors wouldn’t say how extensive the surgery was going to be. She wasn’t in happiest moods at all, especially since she didn’t have a private room. Anyone who got in her way, well, they wouldn’t see tomorrow.

As William took one look at her, he could tell she was very beautiful, but he certainly wouldn’t want to be married to her. If she was that cold and icy to a stranger, just think how she’d be to her family.

“What?” She snapped.

“I’m sorry. I don’t mean to stay, but you’re…” William trailed off as a man walked in the room. He was dressed in designer black suit and had briefcase in hand.

“Hello honey,” Parker Wolfram said as he kissed his wife on the cheek. “Sorry about the room not being so private, but they assured me you wouldn’t be disturbed.” He took a seat beside his wife. She instantly calmed down.

“How’s Conner?” She asked softly.

William turned back towards Buffy and then he heard the irritating voice of his fiancé.

“WILLIAM!” Harmony Kendall yelled into the phone.

Rolling his eyes, William answered, “I’m at the hospital, so keep it down.”

William had dated Harmony on and off for a few years, until he’d popped the question a few months before. Ever since then, he was beginning to regret it. She’d been on him for every little thing, but he had to think about his seven year old daughter.

Harmony never wanted kids, and arranged for Dawn to attend private school. When William found out, he wasn’t too happy, but agreed to discuss things after they were married. He did that in hopes Harmony would drop it, but she brought it up every chance she got.

Amy, William’s first wife, died in a fire shortly after Dawn was born. Shortly after that, he became a firefighter.

She sighed exasperated. “Whatever!”

He rolled his eyes once again. “What do you want?” He asked through clenched teeth. “Forget that question, why the hell are you calling me this late?”

Her voice softened and she said, “I missed you my Blondie bear.”

Ignoring her, he continued, “How’s Dawn?”

“I don’t know. She’s with Tara.”

He hated himself for letting that woman into his life and looked down at Buffy. He wished she was in his life instead of Harmony.

“Well, I’ll see you later.” He flipped the phone shut and hooked it back to his pants.

Sighing, he picked up the book and began reading softly once again.

***
Buffy was now standing in a long white hallway. She looked from left to right, but there were no doors. And as she stood there, she could hear someone speaking of into the distance. It was voice she’d heard before, but she didn’t recognize who it belonged to.

She began to move towards it, it seemed farther away. And no matter what she did to get closer, it just got farther away.

“Hmm,” Buffy stopped, placing her hands on her hips. “Where am I?” She looked around once again. Then she looked down the hall away. She saw a blonde haired man sitting next to something, reading a book. It was still fuzzy to her. She headed towards it once again and as she did, she reached out, grabbing a hold of him.

TBC