Chapter 4-

William stopped reading the passage and looked down as he saw a petite hand holding on to him. He then looked up into Buffy eyes as they began to flutter open.

It took Buffy several moments to focus her eyes and adjust to the lighting. As she began to look around, William couldn’t help but stare into her beautiful emerald green eyes. When Buffy didn’t recognize her surroundings, she started to panic as the tears began to fall.

“It’s ok, love. Calm down.”

As she looked up at him, her dream instantly returned and Buffy felt comforted by him, and so she began to calm down.

”It’s ok. Let me go get Willow. I’ll be right back.” He rose to his feet, but she didn’t want him to leave and she grabbed a hold of his arm again. She was saying please stay with her eyes. “I’ll be right back.” He smiled at her and she let go, watching him leave the room.

First he headed down to the nurses stations, alerting Fred that Buffy was awake. She called Dr. Giles as William headed to the waiting room, where he thought Willow would have been.

When he walked in, she knew something was up. She stood up, and walked over to William and they both stopped in the middle of the room.

“What is it?”

“Buffy.”

“What’s wrong?” She asked, suddenly feeling lightheaded. She couldn’t bear the thought of losing her best friend.

“Nothing’s wrong. She woke up!” William smiled brightly.

Willow didn’t have words for what she was feeling, and tears began to spill over. She was so happy that Buffy finally woke up. She didn’t want think of what her life would be like without her. William wrapped Willow in his arms and let her cry. A few moments later, she stepped back and smiled sweetly at him as a thank you for giving her that moment. A moment she needed more than she as willing to admit.

“Let’s go!” She told him as they headed back down to Buffy’s room.

By the time they walked in, the doctor had been examining Buffy and was just about to take the tubs out. Willow and William stood back, waiting for the doctor and nurses to finish.

After the doctor and nurses cleared out, William and Willow went to Buffy. She tried to speak, but found it hard to.

“Don’t try to speak right away. The tubes just irritated your throat,” explained Spike, helpfully as he took a seat at the other side of the bed just as Willow sat down.

“Here,” Willow grabbed a pad and pen that had been sitting on the night stand and handed it over to Buffy.

‘What happened?” Buffy wrote on the pad.

“You don’t remember?” Willow asked, worriedly.

Shaking her head, Buffy wrote ‘no’.

“That’s ok. Its common thing to have happen,” William explained once again. “It’s one of those things where it may return or may not return.”

Buffy’s next question was to William and she turned towards him. ‘Who are you?’

“Oh,” William started surprised. He hadn’t been expecting her to not remember him. “I’m William McClay. I was the one…” He paused a moment choosing his words carefully. “I helped you.” Was the only thing he could think of and Buffy accepted the answer to that.

Buffy turned towards Willow, and wrote down on her pad, ‘Where’s Riley?’

Willow shrugged. “I’m not sure. Do you want me to call him?”

Shaking her head yes, Buffy wrote yes on her pad.

“S’pose that’s my cue to leave,” William rose from his seat and again Buffy stopped him.

“No, don’t go,” she said slowly in a horsed voice.

Nothing more was said at that moment between William and Buffy. They didn’t need words. Their eyes were conveying exactly what they were feeling. Willow noticed right away and smiled happily, and then excused herself, telling them she was going to make a call to Riley. As soon as Willow broke the connection, William looked away shyly, placing his hands in his pockets, feeling more nervous than ever.

Buffy, of course, was confused. She didn’t know how she felt about this man, and then there was Riley. How did she feel about him now?? She couldn’t answer those questions right now and she pushed them away, concentrating on something else.

“Um, you get some rest now,” William looked down at his watch. “It’s getting late and I should probably be going. You’ll want to spend some time with Riley when he gets here.”

Buffy shook her head yes, and replied, “I suppose you’re right.” She pulled the blankets closer to her.
“I’ll be seein’ ya then,” William flashed her, his pertinent smile, excused himself and left.

Buffy didn’t know if or even ever if she’d be seeing that man again, but she’d like to.

Willow returned a few moments later and saw that William had gone.

“Where’s William?” Willow asked, perkily.

Buffy picked up her pad and wrote, ‘He left.’ She looked up at Willow with sad eyes.

Feeling bad for her friend, Willow smiled weakly. “I called Riley. He should be here soon.”

Buffy mouthed ‘O’.

****
Half hour later, Riley arrived when Buffy was asleep. He’d sat by her bedside and relieved Willow. Told her to go home and get some rest, which of course she did.

As Riley waited and waited until he’d gotten bored. After awhile, he began snoring and it woke up Buffy. She lightly shook Riley awake.

“Hi,” he said, opening his eyes. “Feeling any better?”

She shook her head no.

“Well, I’m gonna see about getting you home, ok?”

“Ok,” she said in soft whisper.

He stood up, kissed her on the forehead, and left her side. A little while later, Riley had her release forms, and he and Buffy went home.

William watched from afar as Riley helped her into the car and drove away. He’d never felt so alone in all his life.

TBC