(Btw, in this story, Connor knows Angel is his father, but he doesn’t say anything about it to Dawn.)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So, Dawn…” Connor said, picking up his coffee cup. “You’re from Sunnydale? Where’s that? I’ve never heard of it.”

“Oh, well… it’s here, in California.”

**Yeah, maybe you didn’t hear about it ‘cause it’s just a big hole in the ground right now,** she thought.

“And then you moved to England?"

Dawn nodded.

“So, why are you back?"

“Well, business stuff. My sister is…um, well she works in London and sent me here to do some… research.”

“Research? Okay, about what?” the boy asked, very naturally.

“Um, well…she’s…” Dawn sighed. “Her ex-boyfriend is living here in L.A and she sent me to investigate him to see if he was dating someone else."

“Wow…” Connor said, staring at her. “That’s the biggest lie I’ve ever heard."

Dawn raised an eyebrow.

“But please, don’t misunderstand me…good act.” He winked at her.

“Fine, I know…I can’t lie; I start babbling…”

“Yeah, but keep trying…who knows?” he laughed.

“Ha ha.”

“So…I saw you were going into that famous law firm a while ago." He looked out the window. “God, I’d give anything to go inside. People say that a lot of strange things happen in there.”

“Really?"

“Yeah, I have this uncle, who one day was taking a shower and…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“I cannot believe you’re wasting time with some guy named Connor!” Buffy yelled at her sister on the phone. “Who’s he anyway?”

“Oh, Buffy, don’t be so dramatic. I fell in the street and he helped me… and, well, then we had coffee. Big deal.”

“Big deal?! You should be in Angel’s offices right now! You said that Giles told you it was urgent!”

“Yeah… well…”

“Dawn?!”

“Okay, maybe it wasn’t THAT urgent… or maybe, yes… I don’t know. The thing is that I wanted a chance to show you that I can take care of myself too.”

Buffy sighed. “Get those documents and come back here before I kill you!”

“Well, why don’t you come here?”

“Dawn! I told you… I’m not…”

“You don’t have to see him.”

“Well, what do you suggest? I stay inside of my bedroom in a hotel, hiding myself from him? He’s running a demonic law firm! Maybe he even has cameras all over the street!”

Dawn rolled her eyes. “You’re really getting old.”

“Ack, I’m AM going to kill you! You’re SO dead!”

Dawn sighed.

“Listen, I don’t want to fight with you, and I sure don’t want to waste the batteries of my cell phone having a row with you. So, I’ll give the papers to Angel, tell them what we know about this damn slayer, and I’ll call you if I hear something.”

Buffy sighed. “Okay.…”

“And I’ll stay another week for vacation."

“What? Dawn!? No! Hey!”

“Bye, Buffy. I’ll call you later.”

“Hey!"

Dawn turned off the phone and stepped out of the elevator. “Damn… she’s unbearable.”

“Hey kiddo, don’t talk about your sis like that,” someone said from behind her.

**That voice,** she thought. **Oh my god…**

She slowly turned around and saw a bleached blonde vampire smiling at her.

“Okay…” She took a breath. “I have to sit down.”

“Yeah, here…” He reached for a chair.

“No, wait! I don’t! SPIKE! DAMMIT! I’M GOING TO KILL YOU!"

“Wha--?"

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!"

“Well, I…”

“WHY THE HELL DIDN’T YOU SAY ANYTHING? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHAT BUFFY HAS BEEN GOING THROUGH THESE PAST MONTHS?!” She started hitting his chest with her fists. “YOU SELFISH...DAMN...VAMPIRE! I’M GOING TO KILL YOU!”

“Dawn, calm down,” he said, trying to block her punches.

“I’m not going to calm down!!” She stopped attacking him, staring at him with tears in her eyes.

“Listen, Dawnie, I’m really sorry…”

“Don’t call me that!"

“Arrghh!” Spike growled. “Could you STOP for a bloody second?"

She glared at him.

“Do you think I’ve been living like a king these past months? Do you think I didn’t WANT to call her? To ask her if she was okay? Do you think…”

He took a breath, trying to calm himself down.

“I miss her, Dawn. You know I do. You know I love her with all my bloody heart and soul. But, what were you expecting? I call her the first day I became corporeal and say 'Oh, hey Buffy! I’ve been dead for a whole month but I’m back now, want to give it a try?' Yeah, sure, great idea.”

Dawn smiled.

“What? What’s the funny thing now?”

“Nothing…” she giggled, covering her mouth with her hand.

“Oh great, I'M the bloody funny thing now. Why don’t you go and laugh at the poof in the next office? I’m sure he’ll be funnier than me."

“Okay, okay…” She turned towards Angel’s door, but changed her mind. Turning around, she looked at him, then gave him a hug. “I’m just glad you’re back.”

Spike smiled. “And I’m glad you’re here, little bit.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Harmony, I just said no! You won’t eat—“

Someone knocked on the door of Angel’s office.

“Wait a second,” he said into the phone, then thought about it for two seconds and asked his secretary, “Why didn’t you tell me there was someone coming to my office?"

“Oh, um…Summers…yeah, she said that was her last name… wait a second…Summers? Is she...?"

Angel turned off the loud speaker and dashed towards the door.

“Buffy?” he said, opening it.

“No, Dawn here. Sorry to disappoint you.”

“Oh.” Angel smiled. “Hey, Dawnie.”

“Hmmm…” she muttered. She had never liked Angel at all, and if Buffy asked HER if she should decide between Angel and Spike, she’d totally choose the second one.

Spike had always been with her in the hard times. Angel had only come to see Buffy when their mom had died, and when Buffy had returned from heaven. Buffy had told her about her “meeting” with Angel; that it had been really tense.

Spike was going to follow her but Angel tried to close the door in his face.

“Sorry, private conversation, Spike.”

“Actually,” Dawn said. “I want Spike to stay and listen too.”

Spike smirked and entered the office.

“Arrggh, okay.” Angel closed the door and turned towards the brunette girl.

“So, where’s Buffy?”

“She…she didn’t come.”

“Why?” both vampires asked.

“Because… she, um… had some work to do.”

Spike looked down, and sat on the couch, taking a cigarette from his pocket. Angel stared at him, and then looked at Dawn. “What?” he asked.

Dawn rolled her eyes. “Never mind. Listen, Giles said there’s a new Slayer in town, and we need information about her.” She handed him a folder. “It’s very important to get all the slayers together.”

“Where’s Giles right now?” Angel asked, opening the folder.

“Oh, I don’t know. He never tells us because he thinks that an evil bad might be pursuing us, and he doesn’t wanna take any risks revealing his location,” she said, rolling her eyes again.

Spike chuckled at the girl's _expression.

“So, have you heard about this slayer?”

“No. I think we should investigate.” Angel looked at her. “You have a place to stay?”

“Yeah, the Council is covering everything; I’m staying at the Glandon’s Hotel.” She walked towards the door. “Call me when you know something.”

“Sure…” Dawn walked out of the office. “...I will. God, when did she became so bossy?" Angel asked.

“Oh, well you’ve been so long away from Sunnyhell that you have no idea of what happened there.”

Angel stared at him.

“Yeah, she took part in the apocalypse, and big sis is training her to be strong as a slayer. She’ll be just as bossy as her.”

“I heard that!!” Dawn yelled from the other side of the door.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


She was alone. Her friends were gone; her sister was on another continent, her true love was dead.

Buffy stared out the window from her bed. What was she going to do now? She was tired of crying, and had suffered too much. Now that she had the chance to have a new and normal life, she refused to go out on the street.

She didn’t want a normal life; she wanted her house in Sunnydale, her boyfriend, and her slayage.

Okay, maybe she could skip the last part.

She sat up in bed.

“Okay, Buffy. This is what you’re going to do: You’re going to get up, take a shower, and go on with your life. Because you know that nothing’s gonna be as it used to be...” Tears appeared in her eyes. “And he’s not coming back.”

She dried her eyes and sighed.

“Maybe I just need some fun. Yeah, that’s it… I’m gonna hang with…um…myself.”

She stood up and walked towards the bathroom, deciding to go out that Saturday night.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Wow, this restaurant is so beautiful…” Dawn said, looking around.

“Yeah, it’s one of the secrets of L.A.”

Dawn smiled, sitting at the table. He sat across from her and ordered white wine from the waitress.

“So, I’ve told you a lot about my life…” she said, smiling. “What about yours?”

“Hmm, me?” he smiled.

**Right… let’s see…I’m the son of two vampires, I was kidnapped when I was a baby, and came back home a couple months ago, my father made a spell to change my memories, and right now I’m talking to the most beautiful girl in the world.**

“Well… my life’s not that exciting…” he answered, scratching the back of his head. “In fact, my sister didn't send me to L.A to investigate her ex-boyfriend, but…”

Dawn giggled.

“Hey,” he said, taking her hand. “I know this is going a little fast, but I want you to know that I’m very interested in you. You’re not one of those girls who make up a story to sleep with you and then they leave and change their names and hair color, right?”

Dawn laughed. “I swear I’m not.”

“Cool…”

**’Cause I don’t want more surprises in my life right now**


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy quickly opened the door, and ran to pick up the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Buffy, it’s me, Dawn.”

“Oh, hey sweetheart. How are you doing?”

“You sound…happy, or excited…what are YOU doing?”

“Oh, you have no idea how great this night was! Remember Nina? The neighbor I talked to you about? The one who’s always singing in the shower?"

“Yeah…”

“Well, we went out dancing tonight, and god, it was so great! I met this wonderful guy…”

“Oh, uh, Buffy, listen...I’d love it if you could come to L.A”

“But, Dawn, I was telling you about this great guy I met tonight. He’s—“

“Yeah, I know, but you reeeeaaally have to come.”

“Well, why? How are the things going with Angel?”

“Well, the work is going great, but that’s not what I wanted to talk about. Remember Connor? Oh GOD! He’s so handsome! Please, you have to come and meet him!”

“What? Dawn, are you crazy? I’m telling you I’m rebuilding my life here and...."

“Please? Could you do this for me? Please come here and meet him. Please? Pretty please?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Okay, but you really owe me one, sis.”

TBC…