--


It’s amazing the difference twenty seconds can make. A pre-set signal turns the traffic light red, and Xander enters the Summers’ house with a twenty second delay that with a small twist of fate, would never have happened.

Xander wouldn’t have seen Spike’s hands toying with Buffy’s hair.

“You know I love this hair. The way it bounces around when you--”

Buffy suddenly raised her hand out of the sink, holding a spatula on trajectory toward Spike's face, but he grabbed her wrist, effectively stopping her scanty attack.

“Ah-ah-ah! This flapjack's not ready to be flipped.”

His other hand dropped from her shoulder to caress her hips and then circle lower.

“What the hell is that supposed to--”

Buffy broke off with a small sigh of pleasure. Closing her eyes, she leaned into him.

“Stop that,” she whispered even as she wondered when exactly she had become so comfortable with Spike’s touch.

Spike tilted his head down and released her wrist in favour of sliding the other arm around her, pulling her up against him.

Buffy considered briefly about using the spatula still grasped in her now-free hand, but then let it drop into the sink. She didn’t notice the few drops of water that splashed on her.

Spike caught her lips with his and her now spatula-free hand found its way to the back of his head.

Xander heard voices and a low chuckle that could only belong to Spike as he walked towards the kitchen.

Xander subconsciously quietened his footsteps. He stood in the doorframe and his eyes widened until Buffy and Spike finally pulled back, both breathing heavily.

Buffy spine tensed horribly when she realized they had an audience.

“Xander...”

“No!” He said. “Just...don’t. I don’t want to know. I don’t want to know any of this.”

“What’s the big deal?” Dawn asked from behind Xander, making the three of them jump.

Xander just shook his head in disbelief and said through pursed lips:

“Come on, Dawnie. Let’s get you to school.”

Dawn scowled at the brush-off and stomped out, letting the front door slam. Xander looked as though he wanted to say more but turned and followed Dawn instead.