Title: Bittersweet
Part; 12/?
E-mail: Angelusblood@yahoo.com
Author: Tygerlily
Summary: Set after 'The Gift', Dawn's dies instead of Buffy. Buffy and Spike are shattered by Dawn's death and leave Sunnydale. Angel and the rest of the gang try to bring them home...weirdness ensues.
Disclaimer: Not mine! I kinda borrowed them from Joss for awhile...shhh don't tell it'll be our secret.
Rating: R (for now eventually NC-17)
Author's Note: My first attempt at a B/S fic. So please be kind.
Author's Note II: Ok I was having writer's block, I had no idea where to begin for a B/S fic so I found this Challenge at the BuffySpke Diaries site -- It's Given by Jinxanna and its Challenge #12.
Author's Note III: {dreams} & //Flashback//
Author's Note IV: Oh and I decided that Angel still works out of his original office. That whole explosion thing never happened, why you may ask...well I don't like the hotel all that much.
Author's Note V: The characters Raz and Talaria belong to ME! So if you’d like to borrow them for your own stuff you must ask. Ok I’m done

CHECK OUT MY SITE http://www.geocities.com/angelusblood

Chapter 12 -- War

*--------------------*


Angel’s large domineering form slipped from the shadows and the low light of the street lamps illuminated his face. There was no denying that Angel was truly a beautiful creature, the power that lie within could be clearly seen. Buffy knew that there would always be a place in her heart for the dark and mysterious vampire but their time together had ended, he had let her go.

At the time the ensouled ones departure had been nothing short of torture. Her world as she knew was crashing down around her and Angel leaving was just one more piece of it deteriorating.

The Slayer knew in her heart that at a time they were meant to be together. It was obvious to just about everyone except him. The Powers had seen two warriors one derived from the light and one from the dark coming together to protect their world. Oh she had no doubts that Angel still continued the fight but because of his choice destiny itself was changed.

The blonde still remembers the night Talaria a Ferohers appeared to her, Talaria was a Persian Guardian Angel. It was quite a shock to be alone in Restfield waiting for some of Sunnydale’s fang population to rise and then to be in the presence of an angel no less.


//It was only a few weeks after Angel had left her and she still was on the schedule of patrolling from sunset to sunrise. Her days were filled with aimless wandering and hunting for demon nest set up in the warehouse district. She was slowly coming back from merely existing.

Buffy was seated atop a headstone waiting for the former bar tender of the Bronze to rise when all of a sudden there was a flash of light and before her a women hovered a few inches off the ground dressed in black and gray. She looked human enough but the little blonde Slayer could feel power coming off of her in waves.

Slayer senses on full alert she cautiously jumped down and approached the vision before her. As she neared the being in front of her she felt an overwhelming wave of calm wash over her. Tilting her head slightly to the side she looked at the creature curiously.

“Who are you or should I say…what are you?”

The angel merely smiled at the young girl. “My name is Talaria and I am a Ferohers” at the Slayer’s confused expression she clarified. “Basically I am a guardian angel but right now I am a messenger for The Powers that be”

Buffy brow scrunched together, a perplexed expression on her face. She smiled slightly before questioning the angel.

“I’m sorry…The Powers that what?” Talaria just smiled

“The Powers that Be; they are like the fates, I suppose that would be the best way to describe them. They decide what was, what is and what will be. Though there is free will everyone has a specific path already laid out for them”

“Ok oddly enough I follow you but what do they want with me?”

“You are the strongest Slayer to ever walk the earth and Angelus has abandoned you, he was only saved for the sole purpose of protecting you. Yes, he is a great warrior for the light but you need a guardian…one who will fight beside you and for you. A person you can share everything and anything with. He gave up to easily on you and himself, it was then decided that you would need someone new…”

“Someone new, I don’t understand.”

The angel smiled down at the young Slayer, she really had no idea what was in store for her. “You won’t know it at first but put your trust in him and you won’t be disappointed. I promise you this, there will be hard times coming and you will need his strength”

Buffy shook her head in confusion not fully comprehending what was being said. Angel was all she really ever knew and now there would be some major changes coming and the way it sounded in her heart as well.

“I don’t understand, I mean…”

The angel’s form began to shimmer and fade her departing words were almost lost in the gentle wind.

“…with eyes of the sea”//


Buffy was pulled from her musings when Angel finally sat down beside her.

“I never could sneak up on you…not really”

She smiled at this “No you never could but I could certainly sneak up on you” Angel just laugh both remembering the time she came in from patrol where she caught him holding her favorite stuffed pig. It was so long ago, a time when they were both fairly naïve to the cruelties of fate and the world.

“So what are you doing here, without your bodyguard?” the brooding vampire asked, his voice heavily laced with sarcasm.

“Oh God, first off he is not my bodyguard and we got into a bit of a fight and just badness” she said sighing heavily. “Of course it was over you, he thought that as soon as I saw you I fall into your arms and we’d profess our undying eternal love. Then you’d either beat him into a bloody mass or just dust him and we’d ride off into the sunset…well moonlight…whatever you know what I mean and then live happily ever after…or something along those lines”

When she was greeted with silence she turned her head to find her ex staring at her with wide unshed tears in his eyes.

“Oh my, you believed something along those lines would actually happen” she breathed out. Her heart when out to him, no matter what had happened in the past Angel would always hold a place inside her heart. She could no longer lie and say she had feelings for the brooding vampire; they had fled her heart long ago.

She inhaled deeply before continuing “Angel, I care about you so very much but things are not as they were…The day you left was the day I literally died inside, I gave you all that I was and would’ve been and even if you didn’t mean to, you basically threw that back in my face”

Seeing that he was about to interrupt she held up her hand to stop him and went on with her explanation “I know that you’re going to say that you love me and I would be lying if I said if I didn’t love you” Buffy watched as his eyes brightened but quickly dashed any hope that was beginning to shine there. “But I’m not in love with you. I took back my heart long ago and it took a long time for me to put it back out there. I told you that I was in love with Riley but…I lied. I said that to hurt you, there was the whole Faith thing and I just…it was wrong of me and I’m sorry”

Angel felt as if his world was falling apart around him. The love of his unlife was telling him that she no longer loved him. He only took comfort from the fact that she didn’t love anyone else. Cold comfort but comfort none the less.

“So what are you saying exactly?” his voice full of emotion

“I don’t know exactly but I can tell you I didn’t fall out of love with you a day after you left. Parker was…a mistake and Riley was just…well he was normal and everyone just kept wanting it for me so I didn’t…couldn’t disappoint them so I went with it but I never loved him” she looked up at him with a small smile which he couldn’t help but return.

Taking an unneeded breath he asked the question that had been weighing on him since the other night.

“What’s the deal with Spike?”

Her eyes widened momentarily and she suddenly found the ground extremely fascinating. She felt a tingle in the pit of her stomach and a shiver run up her spine but she just chalked it up to residual feelings of Angel, she never noticed the dark figure stalking in the shadows near by

“Spike is…Oh God, where do I start? He’s been there since right after you left basically…a little…ok a lot reluctant at first but he’s still been there. At first we were your typical mortal enemies with the fighting and the verbal barbs but as time wore on…things changed” After a slight pause she continued

“Everything with the sudden appearance of Dawn and then with my mom…then Glory, he was there and he protected Dawn like she was his own. I could depend on him you know…I told Giles that if Dawn died I was quitting and I meant it. I know he didn’t truly believe me but it’s not fair. I continued to fight and not ever catch any type of a break”

“But that’s what we do...”

“No, we are…I am supposed to be the Slayer; the strongest to ever walk and the damn powers won’t even let me keep what little family I had left. My dad has disappeared off the face of the earth, I bet he doesn’t even know that they’re dead and that I haven’t been in Sunnydale for the past three months” tears were streaming down her face unchecked as she spilled her heartaches.

Angel couldn’t stand to see his love in pain; all he wanted to do was take her into his arms and sooth the pain away. Before she knew what was happening she was wrapped in the arms of the dark vampire, though the cold comfort was short lived.

Buffy heard a low growl coming from the shadows behind them. She instantly extracted herself from her ex-lover’s arms.

Angel didn’t know what hit him when he was mauled from behind. Spike was overflowing with rage. How dare that bastard of a sire try and take what was rightfully HIS! He did it with Dru and now he was trying to steal his sweet Buffy from him, well he had enough!

“You think you can take her from me? DO YOU?!?! ANSWER ME!”

Spike rained a serious of blows to Angel’s head and midsection. There was no break in between where Angel could attempt to gain the upper hand. Spike could hear the panicked cries of his mate in the background, concern for her made him leave Angel in a broken a bloody heap on the floor.

The bleached vampire stalked over to his mate, game face to the forefront and blood dripping from his bloody and broken hands. He reached out with a gentle hand and caressed the side of her face when she nuzzled her face into his hand he smiled softly and his demonic visage slowly melted away.

“Are you alright Princess, did he hurt you?” he whispered softly as he pulled her closer

“No, he didn’t hurt me” she was trembling partly because of the cold and the other in fear. She had never seen her mate react so badly before. Of course he took notice and gripped her chin gently but firmly forcing her to look at him.

“Are you cold, love?” he said as he slipped out of his duster and placed it on her shoulders. She smiled softly at him and he returned it kind.

“See Spikes’ got you, I’m sorry baby I didn’t mean to fight with you. I know we promised to talk an all, just you know I don’t like to talk about him” the ending was said with a bit of a growl.

It seemed as though Spike had forgotten all about the broken heap of a vampire only a few feet away. Buffy on the other hand did not and was trying to figure out a way to get them all out of there alive or undead, which ever. She couldn’t keep her eyes of the prone figure that began to come to on the floor as Spike continued to nuzzle her neck and plant soft kisses over her pulse point.

Finally deciding on a plan of action, Buffy gently placed her small hands on either side of her mate and firmly but gently pushed him away. He sent her a warning growl but it immediately became one of approval as she ran her hands up and down his sides.

“Why don’t’ we head back to the apartment, you said you wanted to leave tonight. If we want to catch the freighter in time” This caused him to look at her as if she’d grown a second head.

“Buffy, love we’re taking a…” Spike let out a grown as she hit him in the ribs. Holding a hand to his side, he looked up at her in confusion. “What the hell did you do that for?”

Buffy inhaled sharply, her eyes grew wide as she indicated with a quick jerk of her head in Angel’s directions. Spike seemed to understand and promptly let the issue drop. The bleached vampire gave his sire the once over after only a moment of contemplation he came to the conclusion that he was no longer a threat.

Turning on heel and with a firm grasp on Buffy’s hand he began to pull her away from the darkened street. Knowing that she had to get back to Angel somehow she came up with a fib about how she must have dropped her keys. Spike seemed to except this and let her go back for them but not before giving her a five minute warning.

As the blonde jogged back to where Angel still lay on the sidewalk, she knew that if she wasn’t fast enough Spike would indeed come looking for her.

Buffy walked over and slowly knelt down next to the broken creature of the night. She brushed as lock of hair away from his face before whispering to him.

“The only reason you’re not dead is because I stopped him. Do not try to find us again; I fear I won’t be able to stop if there is a next time”

Before he can respond the Slayer is gone and Angel is left alone…broken and full of heartache. Even though he should listen to her, he won’t. There was no way in hell he was going to let Spike keep her…not with out a fight.

Spike may have one the first battles but he wasn’t going to win the war.


*--------------------*


End of Chapter 12