CHECK OUT MY SITE http://www.geocities.com/angelusblood

Chapter 14 –- …and we’re the Slayerettes

*--------------------*


As the first rays of light began to filter into the shadows of the ending night and the demons of the Hellmouth retreated back into the darkness Sunnydale began to become awake and alive once more, many still oblivious to the horrors of the night.

A young Xander Harris’ apartment was filled with exhausted Scoobies, all only falling asleep at various times during the night. All were spent from the previous evenings’ events. The realization that Buffy was willing to stay with Spike and not coming home was a huge blow and then to add the impromptu death of their seer it turned out to be an ordinary night on the Hellmouth but even knowing this, it did nothing to lessen the pain.

Willow and Xander were seated out on his patio just taking in all that was early morning in Sunnydale. Both were awake before anyone else and decided that it was best to talk outside, it had been a long night and neither had any desire to wake anyone inside.

For the longest while they had no idea what to say to one another, finally Willow had enough of the uncomfortable silence and decided to break it.

“So…”

“So…”

They were both at a complete loss at the moment, just a few months ago they were all together and relatively happy, now the girl they all thought of as a little sister is dead, their best friend for the past five years just up and left them and now just last night another life was taken.

“God this is so…I mean we used to be able to talk about anything, let alone not being able to talk at all” Xander said with a heavy sigh

“I know, I mean what’s happen to us?”

Their eyes locked and they knew what exactly happened to them. Buffy Summers happened to them. Both remember the blonde Slayer entered their lives and turned them upside down but neither could regret that day. For Xander he was able to do things he never thought he could and was able to become the man he so desperately wanted to be. For Willow she was able to come out of her shell and know that it was ok to be who she was. The two friends smiled at the memory of their lost friend, still not knowing what to do to rectify the situation.

Willow turned her back towards Xander and looked toward the horizon. The dark haired young man could do nothing but look on as his friend was in obvious deep thought.

“I think the day everything changed was when she made that deal with Spike. I know from what she told me it wasn’t because they liked one another or ‘cause Spike has this overwhelming desire to switch sides, it was for mutual need. Buffy needed to save the world and Spike wanted Drusilla back, at that time their needs sorta meshed”

Xander sighed heavily and ran a frustrated hand through her hair. He knew what Willow was doing, she was trying to find it, to pinpoint when exactly did they lose their friend.

“Maybe, I mean that may have been the day it began or got the ball rolling but I don’t think it was just that” he said softly

His best friend whipped her head around to face him, tear streaming down her face and as he looked at her, he knew then that they had to find a way to set things right with Buffy or none of them would ever move past this.

“You think I don’t know that, I mean it was a number of things. The day Angel left was really just the beginning of all this, then everything with Oz and Tara and…God even you and Anya. Oh and of course I just HAD to push her into Riley Finns’ arms and what did he do…he went and up and left her too. Then Glory…her mother just…died and then Dawn…I…I mean how in the hell could we just leave her with Spike. I mean SPIKE for CHRIST SAKES!”

Xander could clearly see that his little read headed friend was on the verge of hysteria. So he did the only thing that he knew he could do and pulled her into his arms as she continued to cry and soak his shirt with her tears. At that moment all Xander Harris wanted to do was to hate and rue the day he met Buffy Summers but he couldn’t bring himself to. The person or thing he was truly angry at was a certain bleached vampire that took her away from all of them. He never thought he’d see that day that he’d be rooting for Angel.

As she quieted he looked down onto her tearstained faced and brushed some of the stray tears away.

“Better now?”

At her nod he decided that it was time to head back inside, he also could’ve sworn he heard Giles voice a few moments ago. Both headed inside to see what news if any the Watcher had for them.

“Hey G-man”

Giles couldn’t even bring himself to be upset with Xanders’ chosen nickname for him. Pausing for a moment, trying to get his bearings and attempting to get back to the topic of hand just as he was about to continue with his speech of having no new news the phone rang.

Time seemed to stand still; everything and everyone froze at the foreign sound. Giles was the first to recover and strode purposefully toward the phone and picked it up on the fifth ring, his voice wavered only slightly as he spoke into the receiver.

“Hello” his voice full of barely concealed emotion

“Hello Giles”

With a sigh of relief and disappointment he smiled slightly and mouthed to the others that it was Angel at the other end. As the ensouled vampire began to speak the Watchers’ expression became one of relief that was quickly becoming one of distress.

Giles listened patiently to Angels’ tale and he couldn’t help but wonder who in Gods’ name did they piss off for all of this to happen. First Cordelias’ death and now this, when Angel finished telling him of his former chargers behavior he decided it was time to tell the vampire of his seer death.

Surprisingly Angel was only silent for a moment and he did sound chocked up for a moment or two but the more he spoke the more he realized that Cordelias’ death was her own fault and if she wasn’t so careless then it wouldn’t have happened.

Angel knew it was wrong to be so indifferent towards his friends’ demise but at that moment in time he couldn’t bring himself to care. His only thoughts were on Buffy and how she could’ve let Spike kill him but she didn’t. That alone gave him hope that maybe…just maybe there was still a chance that he could reach her.

After a few more minutes of conversing and a new game plan, the two disconnected and went on their separate ways. Just as Giles was about to fill the others in on the details the phone rang again. All the occupants of the room just believed that it was Angel again and paid no mind to the Watcher returning to the phone but no one was prepared for the next words to leave Rupert Giles mouth.

“Hello Buffy”


*--------------------*


End of Chapter 14