Title: Bittersweet
Part: 20/?
E-mail: Angelusblood@yahoo.com
Author: Tygerlily
Summary: Set after 'The Gift', Dawn's dies instead of Buffy. Buffy and Spike are shattered by Dawn's death and leave Sunnydale. Angel and the rest of the gang try to bring them home...weirdness ensues.
Disclaimer: Not mine! I kinda borrowed them from Joss for awhile...shhh don't tell it'll be our secret.
Rating: R (for now eventually NC-17)

Author Note: This is NOT a songfic, but I heard this song and then saw the words and it fit perfectly for the chapter so I decided to use it. Again I make no claim to the song or the lyrics, its all Evanescence


Call of the Slayer http://www.geocities.com/angelusblood


Chapter 20 - … Found


*--------------------*


Ciro and Spike headed back to the flat in a companionable silence, the sun had set only an hour or so before but it was dark enough that Spike wouldn’t fit in ash tray if he was to venture forth from the underground tunnels that lay beneath London’s streets. Both were lost in deep thought and neither of them really spoke the entire reconnaissance mission. Spike was too busy thinking of Drusilla and of times long past and also as to why she’d be making a play for them now. Ciro on the other hand was just concerned for Raz; he’d always taken care of her from the time her pack was killed in Milan, Italy when she was only 15 years old.

‘I just don’t understand why Dru would be looking for me now, especially after all this time. I mean I know she came back looking for me just before everything with Joyce and Glory but she also said that I was lost and she couldn’t help me anymore… so why now?’ The bleached vampire continued to ask himself he still just couldn’t seem to figure out what her fascination might be and then another possibility came to him.

‘Then again it might Buffy; Dru was always the jealous type. Even back in Sunnydale she would always say how Buffy filled my head, said I didn’t love her anymore, which was so untrue… at the time anyway. But what the hell would she want with Buffy besides the fact that she’s the Slayer… Drusilla was never one up for a fight unless she had to…” As Spike continued his musing Ciro couldn’t help but do some thinking of her own on the way back.

‘God what if that bastard had actually gotten to Raz? No I can’t think that way, now that Buffy, Spike and even Oz are here its almost like a team, we just gotta stick together and everything will work out… right? Oh that’s great Ciro now you’re talking to yourself. Shake it off, just concentrate on getting back to Raz. He’s probably almost healed what with his abilities and Buffy taking care of him. I just need to calm down, he’s probably back to bitchin’ and complaining as usually.’ Ciro continued with her musings as she and the vampire rounded the corner only a few feet from the apartment.

Ciro strode quickly up the walk way and pushed open the door instantly knowing something was wrong. Spike stepped in behind her and his nostrils flared at the smell of all the blood. Both ran towards the living room and the sight that greeted them both was enough for Ciro to turn and lose the contents of her stomach while Spike’s demonic visage immediately took over his human guise.

Blood

And it was everywhere; the crimson liquid seemed to be splattered and spilled everywhere thought by the grace of god it didn’t seem to be all of Buffy’s. Scanning the room quickly Raz was passed out unconscious on the couch where they had left him but neither Buffy nor Oz were found. Ciro ran to Raz’s side checking to see if he was still alive and she let out a cry of relief when he let out a low groan and brought a hand to his head.

“What the fuck happened?” Raz bit out

“I was about to ask you the same thing…” Spike all but growled

Just then a low groan could be heard coming from behind the overturned coffee table and a disheveled and bruised Oz struggled to his feet. Looking a bit confused at first he soon recognized his surroundings and the three pairs of eyes trained on him.

“Oz, man you alright?” Raz asked

“Uh, yea I think so… but wait, where’s Buffy?” Oz asked confused

“That’s what we’re trying to figure out, and Raz doesn’t remember anything. I’m hoping to god that you on the other hand DO remember at least something” Ciro said though her eyes were trained on Spike the entire time and he seemed to be slowly loosing all rational thought.

“Ummm, right okay. Well it wasn’t too long after you guys left that these guys just came rushing in and they weren’t vamps I know that much but they weren’t human either. There was about 4 maybe 5 of them but they surprised us… or Buffy rather. I tried to fight but I got knocked out and obviously Raz was no help… they must’ve taken her. Just before I blacked out I remember seeing Buffy fighting three of them but they didn’t seem to want her… like they wanted her alive or something” he explained

“Could it be Drusilla?” Ciro asked

“I don’t know… this doesn’t seem like Dru’s style. First off she’s way too whacked out in the head to have some serious planning like capturing a Slayer; she had to have some sort of help. Unless something has changed drastically within her which I highly doubt. She’s my sire and I was with her for over hundred years… one can’t just change over night… something else is involved here… what I don’t know” The vampire mused

“Well we have to…” Before the Nitric demon could finish the blonde vampire began to tear the room apart even more so, the trio just stood to the side and watched with wide eyes and Spike ripped and tore at anything that wasn’t tacked down to the floor. And finally when it was all over he dropped to his knees in broken sobs. He’d lost the one thing he needed and cared for most in this world and he wasn’t sure he’d ever get her back.

As blood tinged tears poured from his ice blue eyes and streamed down his pale cheeks he tried to reach out through the bond he had with Buffy seeing if he could feel her there, just so he could comfort himself with the fact that she was alive but the gentle hum that used to always be there was now quiet and dead and it left the bleached vampire fearing the worst.


*--------------------*


Buffy groaned as she awoke her head felt as though it was being split in two. She wasn’t sure as to where she was but she knew that she was lying on a soft bed and in the low light of the candles scattered throughout the room she could also tell she wasn’t alone. Then she heard it, the low gentle hum of a young woman in the corner of the room. The little blonde couldn’t hold in the surprised gasp as her companion stepped into the light and she caught a glimpse of her face. And though her face was shrouded in shadow Buffy instantly knew who it was.

“Drusilla…” she said softly

“Shhh, it’s coming for you. It’s a game, it wants to win but it can’t. Though it’s already found you…” She said with a dreamy look in her eyes

“What’s coming for me? I don’t understand” Buffy asked

And then with the utmost sincerity Drusilla regarded her with almost sane eyes.

“Of course not silly girl; you’re not meant to understand, not yet anyway.”

“Dru just explain to me what am I doing here…”

The dark vampire’s head lolled to the side and she began to hum and soon her melodic voice filled the space as she sang a song from a life time ago.

Sleep, baby, sleep,
Thy papa guards the sheep;
Thy mama shakes the dreamland tree
And from it fall sweet dreams for thee,
Sleep, baby, sleep

Buffy just looked frightened as the dark vampire began to twirl around the room her long silky black hair flowing behind her. Her long muscled arms spread out while the skirt of her dress twirled around her body.

Sleep, baby, sleep,
Our cottage vale is deep;
The little lamb is on the green,
With woolly fleece so soft and clean,
Sleep, baby, sleep

Drusilla suddenly stopped dancing and turned to look at Buffy with wide seemingly innocent eyes. Again Buffy was couldn’t help the small shivers of fear that flowed throughout her body.

“My mummy use to sing that song to me, every night when I was little girl and I couldn’t sleep; she’d come in my room and hold me in her lap and rock me while singing that song”

Not knowing what to say to something like that Buffy said the first thought that came to mind at the time.

“It’s a very pretty song” she said softly

And with that the little bit of clarity again left Drusilla’s eyes.

“It is, isn’t it… do want to hear the rest? Do you want to see how it ends?” she asked

“Yes…” though Buffy wasn’t sure which question she was saying yes to

Sleep, baby, sleep,
Down where the woodbines creep;
Be always like the lamb so mild,
A kind and sweet and gentle child,
Sleep, baby, sleep

Drusilla just smiled enigmatically as she began to float across the room again.

And just as suddenly the madness started it stopped; Drusilla slowly walked toward the bed and sat herself gently next to Buffy on the soft duvet. The tiny blonde knew that she was still weak from the blow earlier and wasn’t too sure she’d be able to fight off the mad vampire if it came to that.

“You will take care of him… won’t you?”

“Take care of whom?” The Slayer asked

“Sweet Will, he will be lost without you… but for now you will be the one in the dark. But don’t be afraid he will come for you, the dark may be frightening at first but then it whispers the most wonderful of things…” she said dreamily

“I don’t understand…” Buffy said fearfully

“You will…”

End of Chapter 20