Title: Bittersweet
Part: 22/?
E-mail: Angelusblood@yahoo.com
Author: Tygerlily
Summary: Set after 'The Gift', Dawn's dies instead of Buffy. Buffy and Spike are shattered by Dawn's death and leave Sunnydale. Angel and the rest of the gang try to bring them home...weirdness ensues.
Disclaimer: Not mine! I kinda borrowed them from Joss for awhile...shhh don't tell it'll be our secret.
Rating: R (for now eventually NC-17)

Author Note: Again a portion of the dialogue was taken from biblical text; specifically the Book of Genesis. And again I am preaching to no one. It just fits the story and I promise this will all make sense… eventually. Just please even if it’s not your favorite thing in the world and you’ve enjoyed the fiction so far just kinda grit your teeth and bare it…



Call of the Slayer http://www.geocities.com/angelusblood


Chapter 22 – On Wings of Gossamer


*--------------------*


There was no time. There was no space. It was a vast nothing.

“Things are progressing horribly; he has entered the warriors’ mind. And the vampire… she is trying to help as best she can. But she is weakening with each passing day and soon she will be not be any use to the Slayer” a female voice vibrated throughout the expanse of area.

Her brother merely sighed heavily at his siblings words of warning. They’d already pleaded their case to ‘The Powers’ and they wouldn’t be heard. Everything that was occurring had some sort of purpose or so they claimed. Though the two ethereal beings seemed cold hearted and unfeeling at times they continually watched over their favored warriors with loving eyes.

“You think I don’t know these things, I do. I know just as much as you, I also know that as of right now ‘The Powers’ believe that these test as they call them are necessary. For what reason, I have no idea. William is slowly loosing rational thought without his mate. And I don’t know how much longer the Slayer can sustain her sanity let alone her strength, especially with a prolonged separation from her mate…”

The seemingly young woman walked about the space looking on with sad eyes at the images that continually flashed around them. Some were of the Watcher and the Slayer’s friends; others were of her mate and her new family but most were of the Slayer herself and the dark vampire that was now caring for her.

“Everything is all going so very wrong. The darkness that consumes so many is starting to creep its way into our higher ranks. I fear if we loose her, our Slayer. That all will be lost, she alone brought THREE of the world’s most fearsome vampires to her aid; Angelus and both of his favored childer!” the female exclaimed

“So what are we to do, dear sister?”

“Can we really just sit idly by and watch it crumble before us?”

“You know as well as I do, that we are not to interfere” he reasoned

Turning her back on her brother he almost missed her whispered words.

“Perhaps its time we stopped abiding by these old and archaic rules and made some new ones of our own… so what do you say brother. Are you willing to bend the rules so to speak?” she asked with a small smile on her face

And for the first time in millennia her brother cracked a smile and asked…

“Where do we start?”


*--------------------*


~ The sun’s dappled rays shimmered brightly against the cool waters of the ocean. The blonde beauty lifted her face toward the light breeze that was coming in off the waves. Turning her back toward the waters she looked out at the lush greenery and the trees that rustled with the soft wind.

Looking down she as pleasantly surprised to find herself dressed in a navy blue sundress, the soft cotton hugged her slim form in all the correct areas, as it clung to the shape and swell of her breast it fell easily over her curved hips. Her hair was pinned up loosely leaving a few tendrils to fall framing her face.

The sound of the air to her back her began to change, it almost sounded as if wings were fluttering behind her, turning toward the sound she was more than surprised to see Talaria gliding toward her.

“In the beginning God created heaven and the earth… and earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters… and God said let there be light…” She spoke softly as her feet gently touched down on the grass

“Hello young warrior…” she said with a smile

“Hello, Talaria… right?” she said with an uncertain smile

“Yes, you remember well. Now there isn’t much time, so would you like to hear the rest of the tale?” she asked kindly

“Are you talking about God… or something?”

The Ferohers just smiled softly at the Slayer; she knew that this was only going to be a one in a few opportunities when they’d actually get to speak to their warrior. The evil was getting stronger and it was already making its way into the Slayer’s mind. If they didn’t warn her of the danger coming her way she’d have no defense. The human mind has always been a fragile thing; anything overly traumatic could affect it in the worst ways.

“Yes, I speak of God, though I’m not here to preach to you. I’m here to tell you a story and to warn you. That he is coming for you, he wants you and he won’t stop till he has you. The only way to beat him is for you to fight back with your mind, your heart and soul. To not give into temptation…”

“Temptation…” she said though the question was clear in her voice

“Do you want to hear the rest of the tale?” she asked as if she never heard Buffy ask her question and then without even waiting for the Slayer’s answer the Angel continued.

“… And God said let there be light: and there was light. Then God saw the light, that it was good: and God then divided the light from the darkness. He called the light day, and the darkness he called night. That evening and morning was the first day…”

Buffy listened to the tale in silence but she still wasn’t sure as to what was going on. For some reason she could remember the dark and how it felt deliciously sinful; there was no guilt nor pain but here in the light, it felt better somehow and even though there were so many emotions here in the light, it just seemed to make life better that way.

“It’s a nice story, but where do I come into this. I mean I’m just a Slayer in a long line of them. I mean what makes me so special?” she truly wanted to know

“Because there have been no others like you, you have changed the world numerous times over. You are ‘The Chosen’ and I don’t mean just being the Slayer. You will be faced with numerous obstacles ahead and if you can overcome them all you will be rewarded greatly”

“Why do I not like the numerous obstacles part? I mean being greatly rewarded is always fun but all the work you gotta put in before hand is a bitch” Buffy moaned

“Yes it is but I can promise you, this reward will be worth working for” she laughed

“Okay… so is there anymore left to this story you have to tell me?”

“You actually wish to know more?” the angel asked curiously

“Sure, why not… as of right now it doesn’t look like I’m going anywhere”

“… God then called the firmament from heaven and the evening and the morning were the second day. Then God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also…” ~


*--------------------*


The sun was just setting over the horizon and the twilight was painted in beautiful pinks and blues that streaked the sky. The trio had just arrived at the safe house for the day before they were to travel to Paris that night. Drusilla watched the Slayer sleep with tired eyes; she herself could use the rest but until they reached one of her many homes in Paris she was determined to stay alert.

“I can see them… and they tremble with what is to come” Drusilla whispered

“You can see whom?” Drake asked

“The stars…” she said reverently her eyes glittering with madness

“We’re inside and its daylight, there is no way…” he tried to reason

“My sweet Spike tried to tell me the same thing once, but I can still see them. I’ve always been able to see them even in the bright light of the day…” she explained

“Alright, so what do you see sire?”

Drusilla purred at the name but hesitated in answering her childe’s question.

“A war will be fought and ‘The Chosen’ will stand proudly at the front lines. She will fight hard with the determination of no other. But in the end she will fall and perish underneath the beast’s claws… she will then rise from the ashes of the darkness on wings of gossamer and the light life. The warrior will leave this mortal life behind and ascend to a higher plane leaving all others behind… unworthy…”

Drake looked on with frightened eyes, though his sire’s eyes were now a brilliant hue of gold her face had not shifted to its demonic visage and her fangs had not elongated. But that wasn’t even that disconcerting compared to the fact that her voice echoed; it almost sounded as if it were Drusilla’s voice and someone else’s voice that spoke with her. It was the oddest thing he’d ever seen and even though his time as a vampire has still been relatively short being a childe of Drusilla the mad one saw numerous things no creature alive or dead should witness.

“Sire, we still have a few hours until sunset, you rest along with the Slayer and I will see what I can do about some food… for all of us” and with that he made a swift exit from the room leaving the two women alone once more

Dark blue eyes looked over Buffy’s frail form and she sighed softly. Walking over to the larger four poster bed; Drusilla pulled the thick comforter up and wrapped it around the diminutive blonde’s body but not before crawling beneath them herself. She molded her body around the Slayer’s soaking up the warmth which her mortal body continued to produce and she sighed heavily into her sweet smelling hair.

Honey colored locks were splayed over across the soft pillow and tickled the vampire’s nose but it didn’t seem to bother her at all and she just snuggled closer hoping to rest even if only for a short time. Drake returned a short time later with a wriggling young man for Drusilla and a sack containing a sandwich and a bottle of water for Buffy. Smiling softly at the picture the two women made asleep wrapped around one another, he decided that lunch could wait and placed the sack of food on to the table in the corner and brought the young man into the next room to wait.

They’d both be hungry when they woke.

End of Chapter 22