Title: Bittersweet
Part; 6/?
E-mail: Angelusblood@yahoo.com
Author: Tygerlily
Summary: Set after 'The Gift', Dawn's dies instead of Buffy. Buffy and Spike are shattered by Dawn's death and leave Sunnydale. Angel and the rest of the gang try to bring them home...weirdness insues.
Disclaimer: Not mine! I kinda borrowed them from Joss for awhile...shhh don't tell it'll be our secret.
Rating: R (for now eventually NC-17)
Author's Note: My first attempt at a B/S fic. So please be kind.
Author's Note II: Ok I was having writer's block, I had no idea where to begin for a B/S fic so I found this Challenge at the BuffySpke Diaries site -- It's Given by Jinxanna and it's Challenge #12.
Author's Note III: {dreams} & //Flashback//
Author's Note IV: Oh and I decided that Angel still works out of his original office. That whole explosion thing never happened, why you may ask...well I don't like the hotel all that much.

CHECK OUT MY SITE http://www.geocities.com/angelusblood

Chapter 6 -- The Big Bad is Back

*--------------------*

Scared. Frightened. Terrified.

These were all the things that Buffy Summers was feeling at the moment. She couldn't help the feeling of nausea that came over her as she watched Ruby cut into her mate's skull.

About a half an hour after sunset, she and her mate climbed into the black Mustang and made their way out of the semi-suburban streets of Bay Ridge and into the nightlife of Manhattan. As Buffy drove over the Brooklyn Bridge, she tried to concentrate on the road in front of her. She knew that she had to be strong for Spike as well as herself. When she had let him claim her she had promised to standby him no matter what. So if Spike wanted to have his skull cut opened to have that ridiculous chip removed than she would be there, right by his side.

Buffy tried not to think about anything in particular because if she did, she knew that she'd turn the car around, screw Spike and his desire 'to be able to play with the other puppies' as he said. Deep down though, Buffy knew she could never deny her love anything. Just as he could never deny her.

Spike gripped her hand nearly breaking a few bones in the process. Buffy knew that he was trying to be strong for her. The entire week before she tried to convince him there had to be another way or that he really didn't need to get the chip out. Oh he knew it wasn't because she was afraid he'd hurt her, it was a fear for his own safety.

In just a few short months, they'd both became each other’s world. Looking into those hazel eyes of hers, he knew that she wouldn't survive long without him. Though he knew he'd be the same if he lost her. Some might consider it not the best of relationships but to them it was just...perfect.

Spike had been obsessesed with the Slayer long before he knew he was in love with her. She had been the same way. Though at the time he had Dru and she had Angel. Both of their worlds revolved around the two brunette vampires then. Now things were different, they were as they should be.

It was one night before Angel went bad, before Acathla, before their unholy alliance did the first seeds of their true relationship begin to blossom.

//Buffy was on patrol that night; she just had a bit of an argument with Angel. Figuring she could blow off some steam at one of the local demon haunts, she began to prowl the back alleys near the Bronze. Hearing a short lived scream, she instantly ran off in the direction from which it came.

As she rounded the corner she came face to face with the bleached vampire who had been on her mind since 'Parent Teacher Night'.

Spike looked up as he let the girl drop in an ungraceful heap at his feet. He smiled around his fangs, still warm rivulets of blood dripped down his fangs.

"Slayer" he greeted her casually

"Spike" replied just casually

She watched as he stepped out of the shadows and into the light. He looked just as dangerous and delicious as always. Dressed in his usually black jeans and black shirt, topped with red silk shirt and leather duster. His sharp cheekbones and piercing blue eyes only added to the picture of pure raw power and danger he presented.

"So whatcha doin' out at this time of night, Slayer. You know the boogieman might decide to come out and eat you up"

Deciding to ignore the slight jab, she was curious as to what he was doing out anyway. He rarely left Dru alone for long. It was well know in the Watcher Diaries and in the Underworld of his devotion to his sire and paramour.

"What are *you* doing out here Spike, shouldn't you be with your precious Drusilla" she said the vampire’s name in a sing-song voice.

Clenching and unclenching his jaw, he tried to gain some semblance of control. Even though Dru had infuriated him earlier with the talk of her Daddy's possible return home, he never did take kindly to talk about his dark princess in such a manner.

"Shut it, Slayer. Where is Peaches anyway? Shouldn't you be hanging and panting over him like some common whore" the last word came out a lot harsher than the rest. With that last little comment Buffy threw herself at the bleached vampire.

She came out fist flying and he returned in kind. The entire act was primal and brutal, and absolutely beautiful. Two of the best warriors to ever walk locked in a heated battle under the night sky. Somehow during the fight they made it inside to one of the abandoned warehouses.

Suddenly Spike caught Buffy unaware and sliced the right side of her cheek open...first blood. After that there was no holding back eventually Buffy got in a good hit and re-opened the scar above Spike's left eye. Then just as suddenly they stopped.

Both were breathing heavily, though one of them didn't need to. Spike raised his eyes to meet hers and what he saw there was what made him do what he did next. Slowly he walked toward her, taking his time in doing so. When he finally came toe to toe with her, he tilted her face to the side. Buffy soon felt Spike's tongue softly lap up the blood that had welled up in the wound. Eventually he pulled back and she turned to face him.

First Buffy had no idea why Spike wasn't dust for doing what he just did. She also has no idea why she did what she did next. Spike's eyes fluttered closed as she raised a small hand to trace his ridged brow. Still in game face, Buffy pulled his forehead down and began to softly lick the blood from his brow.

Finally when she pulled back, what she saw in his eyes was enough to make her run...and run she did. Buffy slowly backed away and then ran off into the night.

Spike just stood there for a moment, not really sure as to what happened but knew it was something big with a small smile firmly in place he sauntered back out into the night.

Both knew that in some beautiful yet sadistic way that they had claimed the other that night. What happened between them would never be forgotten but it would not be remembered either.//

Now as she held her mate's hand she knew that night was meant to happen and every night after that. She had to have her one experience with Angel and to have the result be Angelus coming forth. She had to have that alliance with Spike. Everything that had ever happened had led up to the moment she and Spike came together.

As Ruby looked up a popping sound could be heard. "It's out" she said as she dropped the piece of metal and plastic into a metal dish.

"You got it all?" Buffy asked a little concerned for her mate who was a bit more pale than usual.

"Yes, all of it's out. He'll heal just fine with his abilities. We just have to make sure he has enough fresh blood and he'll be as good as new"

At this Buffy smiled down at Spike and he smiled back. Ruby went to work of placing the piece bone that had to be cut back into place and folding over the piece of skin.

About 4 hours later Buffy and Spike walked out into the night. They decided to take a walk down near the water. Still not sure if he was a hundred percent, Spike begged Buffy to let him try it out. She was about to say no when they saw a teenage girl was being followed by a ragged looking man.

Fifteen minutes later the young girl met up with her friends, the two blonde's headed back to Brooklyn and the suspicious looking man lay dead in an unholy heap behind a dumpster. Where even the rats wouldn't touch him with two little holes in his neck with the last of his blood leaking out of him.

*--------------------*

End of Chapter 6