Title: Bittersweet
Part; 8/?
E-mail: Angelusblood@yahoo.com
Author: Tygerlily
Summary: Set after 'The Gift', Dawn's dies instead of Buffy. Buffy and Spike are shattered by Dawn's death and leave Sunnydale. Angel and the rest of the gang try to bring them home...weirdness insues.
Disclaimer: Not mine! I kinda borrowed them from Joss for awhile...shhh don't tell it'll be our secret.
Rating: R (for now eventually NC-17)
Author's Note: My first attempt at a B/S fic. So please be kind.
Author's Note II: Ok I was having writer's block, I had no idea where to begin for a B/S fic so I found this Challenge at the BuffySpke Diaries site -- It's Given by Jinxanna and it's Challenge #12.
Author's Note III: {dreams} & //Flashback//
Author's Note IV: Oh and I decided that Angel still works out of his original office. That whole explosion thing never happened, why you may ask...well I don't like the hotel all that much.

CHECK OUT MY SITE http://www.geocities.com/angelusblood

Chapter 8 -- Face Off

*--------------------*

He snarled viciously at the thought of his mate in the arms of that...that...that thing! How dare he take what belonged to him, well he would learn soon enough! She let him do it too. A Slayer, The Slayer willingly lay in the arms of that monster. Though he lay none of the blame on his sweet girl. He knew that she was beyond thought with the loss of her sister and mother in such a short period of time.

'I wasn't there for her and he was. He was the only there for her to turn to. It's all my fault' were the thoughts that kept running through his head. From that point on Angel promised himself that once she was back in his arms he was never letting her go again.

There were still an hour or two to sunrise and New York always had a demon or two to knock around. With that Angel picked up his duster, left the room and stalked back out into the night.

All the while Whistle sat in the shadows and listened to his friend's rant. He couldn't help the lone tear that slipped down his face. How do you tell the only friend you've ever had that he can't have what he desired most. Angel lost his chance with Buffy long ago. The day he walked away from the golden haired beauty and slipped into the fog was the day he re-wrote destiny.

*--------------------*

Spike awoke to the feeling of a warm body draped over his and the scent of vanilla and strawberry filled his senses. He glanced over at the clock, the harsh glowing red numbers read 12:02. Though he already could tell that the sun was high in the sky, sunset was still a few hours off.

As he looked down at his mate he knew he had never seen a more beautiful sight. Even his once precious Drusilla couldn't hold a candle to his Buffy.

Drusilla. She was apart of his past, a past both he and Buffy would love to forget. Though both knew that they would never really forget the past. They would just move on from it. Buffy was asleep when he showed up otherwise she would've felt him too. His damn grandsire had finally found them and if he let him, he'd probably end up taking away Buffy just like he had done with Dru.

"Stop it!" came a muffled command

Only slightly startled he responded. "Stop what?"

Buffy raised her eyes to meet his. "Stop whatever it is your thinking" After a brief pause she continued. "I felt him last night also" she felt him tense at this but she still continued.

"I am not Drusilla"

Taking his face in her hands she tilted her face up to kiss him softly. Her hands then slipped into his hair as she deepened the kiss. She ran her tongue over his lips, begging for entrance which of course he granted. When oxygen became an issue she pulled back but made no move from the embrace. She whispered softly against his lips "I love you, I belong to you"

With that she tilted her head to the side exposing her mark. He knew that this was more for him than her but at the moment he didn't care. He pressed a chaste kissed to her lips and began to place soft open-mouthed kisses on her face. He soon began a trail down the column of her throat. Finally reaching his mark, he gently slid his fangs into her throat.

Soon the warm coppery liquid began to fill his mouth. For Buffy the gentle prick of his fangs and the dull pain all too soon became nothing but pure pleasure. Just before she fell into a state of euphoria her last coherent thoughts were.
'My mate, I am meant to be by his side and I really don't want it any other way'

Spike only took a few gentle pulls of his beloved's blood, not wanting to hurt her he carefully extracted his fangs and began to lick lovingly at the wound until it closed. Pulling his woman into his embrace they both fell into a peaceful slumber.

When they would once again wake; the sky would be dark, the moon would be full and the demons roam the night.

*--------------------*

Angel knew that Whistler was keeping something from him he just didn't know what. The dark-haired vampire was seated by the bar in the club known as ECKO. It was not the type of place you'd normally find him in but Buffy and Spike were regulars. So he knew that he'd probably catch them and possible end all this tonight. First he would beat the crap out of Spike then Buffy would throw herself into his arms, they then would re-declare their undying love for one another and all would be right with the world...or so he thought.

It was still early, about seven-thirty...the two blondes probably wouldn't be arriving for another half an hour. So he just sat off to the side observing all in the club.

He smelt them before he saw them, vanilla and honey filled his senses followed by cigarettes and old leather. Though he loathed to admit it, they looked beautiful together. They both were raw power hidden by their, beauty and grace. Buffy with her expressive moss-green eyes and soft curves, Spike with his piercing blue eyes and strong cheekbones.

Angel mentally scolded himself. He was here to beat the crap out of Spike and bring Buffy home. He spotted them at the opposite end of the club talking with a couple of Aurorian demons. Angel would've never believed it if he hadn't seen it himself. Buffy was not only speaking civilly with demons, she was laughing with them.

Finally Angel had seen enough, he got up and stalked over to the pair his chocolate brown eyes almost a midnight black. Spike anticipated the blow long before it came. So when Angel went to deliver a punch to Spike's jaw while pulling Buffy out of the way, the end result was Angel lying on the floor with Buffy and Spike standing over him with fire in their eyes.

"Buffy"

That one word brought so many emotions surfaced. Angel looked up into her eyes and didn't see what he expected to see there. There was no longing, passion or even love that used to be there when she looked at him. Now all he saw was confusion and defiance.

"Angel"

He didn't fail to notice she no longer said his name as if it were a prayer. The confusion in her eyes faded away and all that was left was defiance. "What are you doing here?"

Somewhat stunned by her not so warm greeting, he struggled to his feet. "Buffy I've come to take you home"

At this both her and Spike broke down into a fit of laughter. Angel looks on just as confused as ever.

"Buffy, what the hell is going on?" he began to shout, this was not how things were suppose to go.

Spike had finally had enough. He'd been quite the entire time. There was no way in hell he was going to let Angel take what was rightfully his. Spike went after Angel, the entire fight was nothing but fists and fangs. Eventually Spike got the upper hand and sent a kick into Angel's midsection which had him flying across the room.

Most of the club's inhabitants had left if they were smart or they stayed to watch the show, all hoping for some blood.

"Come on Peaches, just try and take her from me" he sneered at his grandsire, blood dripping from his split lip fangs gleaming in the low lights

Angel knew that his childe wasn't going to give up without a fight and as much as he didn't want to dust Spike, he would if it meant Buffy would be in his arms once more. Buffy just stood to the side, she knew that this was one battle where she could not interfere. If Spike was to keep her from Angel he had to earn the right himself.

A few more blows were exchanged just before Spike delivered a spin kick to Angel temple. The ensouled vampire hit the ground hard and fast. Spike stared at the still form of his grandsire for a moment before he walked over and grabbed his mate before exiting the club.

Just before exiting the club the two blondes turned back for one last look at the prone figure on the floor. Spike left his sire with these parting words.

"The Slayer is mine, come for her again...and I'll kill you"

*--------------------*

End of Chapter 8