Spike snarled as he smelled a human walk into the room, his features shifting into game face. He had been chained to the wall at some point, and now all he could do was rattle the chains idly. He could hear the blood pumping in the human's veins, and the need to feed was stronger than he ever remembered it being before.

"Hungry, Hostile 17?"

Spike heard the voice, the words barely registering in his hunger-weakened brain. He snarled, her blood calling to him.

"Don't worry. You'll be fed soon enough."

Spike struggled against his bonds again, growling.

Maggie Walsh watched as the vampire fought to break free and rip her apart, and smiled. A few of her colleagues had questioned the practicality of her plan, but she knew now that it would be a success. Years of hard work and research would finally pay off.

She walked out of the cell, leaving the vampire alone again.

*** *** ***

Buffy stood, glaring daggers at Riley. "Where's Spike, Finn?" she snapped.

"Buffy, let me explain…"

"Did you take him?"

"I…"

"I want a yes or no answer, and I fucking want it now."

Riley's eyes widen. He'd never heard Buffy talk that way before. "Well, yes, but…"

Buffy didn't let Riley finish. She grabbed him by the front of his shirt, shoving him against the outside wall of Giles's apartment. "You goddamn bastard! You went after him on purpose, didn't you? You found out he was who I'd been with, and you sent your fucking commandos after him."

"Buffy, please!" Riley said, the wild look in Buffy's eyes making him fear for his safety. "I just thought…I'm here to help!"

"How can you possibly help after what you've done?"

"I can help you get him out!" Riley said.

"Why should I believe you?"

"Because Professor Walsh is going to do something terrible! Please, just let me go, and I'll explain everything!"

Buffy dropped Riley to the ground, where he fell to his knees. "Make it snappy, 'cause I'm not big with the patience at the moment."

Riley nodded, rising shakily to his feet. "I found files she had on Hostile 17."

"Spike. His name is Spike."

"I found files she had on Spike. She's…she's starving him so…so she can use him as a weapon."

"Sorry, must be having one of those dumb blonde moments," Buffy snapped. "Fill in the blanks for me."

"The files…they were plans for an attack. That chip, it can be controlled. They're going to starve him—drive him to the point where he's desperate to feed—drop him down on an enemy target, and turn off the chip."

Buffy fought the urge to get sick at what Riley had told her. "So these are the people you work for."

"I had no idea, Buffy. I swear, I had no idea."

Part of Buffy wanted to take her anger out on Riley, wanted to beat him to a bloody pulp for what he'd done, but she knew she couldn't. That would make her no better than those bastards at the Initiative who would do something this horrific. "You're going to make this better, Riley," she told him, the anger still evident in her voice. "You're going to help me save Spike and put an end to this sick plan."

Riley nodded. He knew she was right.

Buffy turned to Willow, who had been watching the whole scene with fascination. "Go to the crypt and get Xander. I'm going to take Riley inside so we can figure out how to go about this."

"Right," Willow replied. "I'll be quick, Buffy." She took off at a run.

Buffy grabbed Riley by the front of the shirt again and dragged him back into the apartment.

*** *** ***

Xander looked Buffy over as she buttoned up her white lab coat. "Well, don't you look spiffy, Dr. Summers."

Buffy shot Xander a look. "I'm not in the mood for jokes."

"I know, I just…I wanted to talk to you before you ran off on something that could possibly be a suicide mission."

"I'm going to make it out of there in one piece," Buffy said. "And when I do, I'm bringing Spike back with me."

Xander looked down. "Buff, about what I said earlier. I…I was out of line."

"Yes, you were."

"I'm just worried about you. I didn't mean to get all judgmental, it's just, well, I saw what you went through with Angel, and I don't want to see you hurt that much again."

"I know. And that's the only reason I'm still speaking to you. But Spike, he isn't like Angel. There's something between us, I can't explain it. He told me once that love wasn't brains but blood, and I think I'm starting to understand what he meant by that. This thing with him, it isn't something I planned or thought about. It just happened. It took hold of me, and there was nothing I could do but give in."

"I'm not saying I approve, but I understand that. Or at least I'm trying to."

"Thank you."

Xander reached out, taking her hand and giving it a quick squeeze before dropping it again. "Go beat the bad guys, Buff."

"I will. It's what I always do."

*** *** ***

Buffy stood nervously behind Riley as he stood in front of the mirror that opened to the elevator that would take them down into the Initiative base. He led Buffy into the elevator, saying his name for the voice recognition to pick up. "Stick with me," he said softly to Buffy. "Just act natural. You're a member of the Initiative science division."

Buffy said nothing at his statement of the obvious, although she did wonder what she'd ever seen in this man.

The elevator door slid open, and Buffy took a deep breath. She kept herself calm and steady. She had to pull this off. Spike needed her. "Let's get this over with, Finn. I don't want to be down here any longer than I have to be."

"Me either," Riley agreed, knowing they were in danger as long as they remained underground. He didn't want to think about what would happen to him after they got out, knowing he was throwing away his career and quite possibly his freedom. "Let's go."

Riley led Buffy through the base. He had warned her about acting natural, but if either of them seemed nervous, it was Riley. "Where are we going?" Buffy asked in a hushed tone.

"Science division first. We're going to have to destroy the computer they're using to control the chips. Otherwise, they can just start all over again with one of the other vampires."

"Will that hurt Spike?"

"From what I read in the file, no. But it will render the chip ineffective, after which we'll have to dust him."

"Touch Spike, and I'll make an exception to my little 'no killing humans' rule."

"Buffy, without the chip, he's just a killer."

"You hurt him, and I will be, too."

Riley swallowed, the look on Buffy's face telling him just how serious she was. "You're risking a lot of people's lives."

"This coming from a man who works for an organization that plans to use vampires as weapons."

Riley didn't have anything to say to that. He led Buffy to a room, punching a code into a keypad beside the door. A light flashed green, and the door opened with a hiss. A man in a white coat sat at a computer. "Are you authorized to be in here?" he asked.

"Professor Walsh would like to see you in, um, the conference room," Buffy told the man.

He frowned. "I'll just call Walsh then and check on that," he said, standing.

Buffy sighed. Apparently, she was going to have to do this the hard way. She swung, her fist connecting with the man's head, knocking him unconscious. "Buffy!" Riley exclaimed.

"He's just taking a little nap," Buffy said, stepping over the scientist. She didn't have time to worry about ethics at a time like this. "He'll wake up. Now come on, let's destroy whatever it is we have to destroy."

"Right. It should all be over here. There's a few more chips that haven't been implemented, and the control device."

"You seem to know an awful lot about this," Buffy pointed out.

"I was part of the team that bagged and had Hos…Spike chipped. But I swear, Buffy, I had no idea what they were going to do with him. I thought they were just going to observe him some, then stake him."

"You thought they'd waste however many gazillions of dollars it cost to make that chip by dusting him shortly after they put it in?"

Riley looked down. "I guess it seems a little stupid in retrospect."

"Incredibly stupid."

"Yeah, that, too."

"Come on, let's get this over with so I can get Spike out of here."

"As soon as we destroy this, he'll be a killer again, Buffy."

"Shut up."

To Riley's credit, he did. He and Buffy destroyed any piece of hardware they could find connected to Walsh's project without speaking.

*** *** ***

Spike snarled, catching a scent in the air. Human. Food.

No. Another part of his brain clicked. Not food. Mate.

He growled, bucking at his chains. Buffy approached him tentatively, running her hand across the ridges on his forehead. Spike growled again, but softly this time. "Come on, baby. I'm going to get you out of here." She unlocked his chains with a key Riley had given her, then helped Spike to his feet.

He slumped against her, weak with hunger. Riley stepped back as he saw Spike free. Spike snarled at him, trying to lunge forward, but Buffy held him back. "No," she told the vampire firmly. Spike gave her a confused look, but didn't attack. Buffy rubbed his back with one hand soothingly. Then, she looked up at Riley with an accusatory glare. "This is more than just normal hunger. I know it's been several days, but he's, well, really out of it."

Riley looked away from her. "He's been given drugs to make him…more feral. They should wear off soon, especially if he gets blood in his system."

Buffy made a sound of disgust. "We've gotten what we came for. Get us out of here."

"There's a back way out. Less people use it. We'll have a better chance of not getting caught."

"Lead the way then."

Riley took Buffy through a series of dark corridors. Spike was practically dead weight beside her, his legs barely able to keep up with the rest of his body. She strengthened her grip on him, keeping him close. He growled slightly, and Buffy spoke to him soothingly. "We'll be okay soon, I promise. Just hold on."

"And just where do you think you're going with Hostile 17?"

Buffy and Riley froze as Professor Walsh stepped out in front of them. Buffy stood as straight as she could with Spike leaning against her. "I'm taking my boyfriend home. Got a problem with that, bitch?"

"As a matter of fact, young lady, I do. That creature on your arm happens to be worth a lot to this organization—as did the large amount of hardware you destroyed tonight."

"Worth more than human lives?"

Walsh looked coldly at Buffy. "Yes."

Buffy let go of Spike, murmuring a quick apology as he slid to the ground. She moved with unnatural speed towards Maggie, pushing her against a wall. "If you think for one second that I'm going to let you get away with your sick plan, then you are sorely mistaken. And I swear, if you hurt one bleached hair on Spike's head, you're gonna find out exactly what a Slayer really is."

Walsh looked at Buffy proudly, though her trembling gave away her fear. "You can't threaten me."

"Um, actually, she can," Riley said. "And so can I." He held up a disc. "See this? It contains enough information to prove that this 'organization' has been developing weapons of biological warfare. Sure would be a shame if it somehow got leaked to the press…"

"You wouldn't!"

"I would."

"So here's the deal," Buffy said. "You're gonna let us walk out of here, or, well, see that vampire over there. He's really hungry. Probably hungry enough to think even your bony ass is a tasty morsel, if you get my drift."

Maggie nodded, the fear rolling off her in waves now. Buffy dropped her, but not before hitting her in much the same way she has the scientist, knocking Walsh out as well. "Insurance policy," she told Riley with a shrug.

Riley tucked the disc back in his vest pocket. "Right. Grab Spike, and let's get out of here."

Buffy hoisted Spike back up and followed Riley out of the base.

*** *** ***

Buffy and Riley took Spike back to her house. Her mother was out of town doing business for her gallery, and Buffy decided it would be a good, quiet place where she could help Spike recuperate. She took him upstairs to her bed, kissing him softly on the forehead before promising she'd be right back. Spike made a small sound of protest, but didn't move. Buffy wasn't sure he even could.

"Do you need me to stay with you?" Riley asked as Buffy came back down the stairs.

"No. But could you go by Giles's and let the others know everything went all right? I know they're worried, but I have to concentrate on taking care of Spike right now."

"Yeah, I'll do that. Are you sure you're okay alone in the house with a vampire? That chip isn't working anymore, Buffy…"

"You've reminded me of that like a million times now, Riley. I know. But it's also Spike. And well, if something does go wrong, I think I know a thing or two about handling killer vampires." Buffy added the last part solely for Riley's benefit. She couldn't explain it, but she knew she was safe with Spike. The way he'd reacted to her in the base made it clear to her that he was anything but a threat.

"I can't tell you how sorry I am for all of this," Riley said.

"No, you can't," Buffy said. "Nothing can make up for what you did."

"I know."

"But what you did tonight was a good start," Buffy said, giving Riley a small smile. "I know you threw away your career, but it was the right thing to do."

"Yeah."

"What are you going to do?"

"I don't know. Hopefully with the information I took out of there tonight I can finagle myself an honorable discharge. Past that, I don't know. Maybe I'll just go back to Iowa."

Buffy hoped he did. Iowa was almost far enough away.

"I am sorry, Buffy. When I sent the team to recapture Spike, I wasn't thinking about anything but hurting the guy who I thought was responsible for taking you away from me."

"I was never yours to begin with, Riley."

"I know that now." Riley gave Buffy the boyish smile that she'd once found attractive. She didn't anymore.

"Look, I have a half-feral, starving vampire in my room to deal with, so…"

"Yeah. I'll go let you deal with that," Riley said, taking the not-so-subtle hint. "Take care of yourself, Buffy."

"You, too."

As Riley finally turned to leave, Buffy jogged upstairs. Spike perked up slightly from his position on the bed as soon as he smelled Buffy come in the room again. He made the same growling noise he had when she'd first touched him back in the cell, and Buffy blushed at just how sexy it was.

Spike was even paler than usual, and he was trembling again. Buffy knew he had to eat soon. Whatever drugs had been given to him had made the effects of not feeding even more pronounced. The butcher shop had closed hours ago, and she wasn't exactly prepared to go rob a blood bank. There was only one available option.

Buffy went to Spike, lowering her neck to his face. "Drink," she said.

Spike snarled, turning his head away. Buffy started in shock. Since when did vampires turn down free Slayer blood? She hit him, hoping to push him over the edge like she had done with Angel when he'd had to drink from her, but it didn't make Spike bite her. All he did was whimper.

"Spike, please, you have to drink," Buffy said, trying to force him on to her neck. "It's okay. I trust you."

Spike snarled, licking her neck. He still didn't bite. Buffy regretted sending Riley away. Maybe Spike would've been willing to nibble on him a bit.

Refusing to give up, Buffy pulled out the weapons bag she had left at home in case she ever needed it. She took out a small dagger and cut the inside of her arm. She pressed the wound against Spike's face, rubbing the blood against his lips. Eventually, he began to drink, taking slow, shallow pulls. Buffy felt herself warm at the thought that even in this near-feral state he was careful not to hurt her.

She watched him feed on her blood, amazed at just how beautiful he was. Even as he fed from her, his vampiric features in view, she could sense the love he felt for her, and knew she'd never be anything but safe with him. She stroked his hair as he drank.

After a few moments, Spike pulled away from him. "Buffy…" he murmured softly before closing his eyes and drifting off to sleep.

Buffy went to the bathroom and bandaged the cut on her arm before climbing in bed beside him.

*** *** ***

TBC…

I was watching some of season 4 in hopes of getting over my earlier writer's block for this fic, and I got to thinking, why exactly would the Initiative go to all that trouble of "chipping" vampires? I mean, that had to be pretty expensive, and you'd think there'd have to be some other reason than just studying them. So I came up with this. Sorry if the whole "breaking Spike out" part was sorta rushed, but this story wasn't even supposed to have a real plot in the first place beyond Spuffy lovin…

Reviews are always greatly appreciated.