A/N: sorry if the spacing's fucked: I can't seem to change it!

Chapter 5: Apologies Owed

The bleach blond Brit standing by the bikeshed lit his second cigarette of the last 15 minutes and raised his foot to rest on the wall behind him. He glanced at the students milling out of the high school and sighed. So few of these people would actually go on to make something of themselves. At the moment they were, for the most part, blissfully unaware of the world. There were some kids here who Spike would bet would be dead or imprisoned by the time they were 25. Himself included. They were laughing and joking, lighting up cigarettes, unchaining bicycles or planning trips to the mall. He watched as Xander and Anya walked past, Anya laughing at a comment she had just made. Suddenly, Anya’s laughter was drowned out by another laugh. Buffy’s. Spike dropped the cigarette on the ground and stomped on it, before straightening his clothing and slicking his hair back. He leaned against the wall once more and tried to look nonchalant.

She walked right past.

********

Buffy waved goodbye to Willow at the corner of her street and trudged off to her own home. Entering her house, she threw her bag down, causing a ball of scrunched up paper to roll across the floor. Frowning, she bent to pick it up. Buffy gasped two single words as she opened it.
“Fuck. Spike.”

********

Spike grumbled as he saw Buffy bid goodbye to Willow and walk to her front door. He wasn’t too far behind her, but far enough so that it couldn’t be called stalkerish. He watched her slam her front door and he opened his, throwing his bag down and kicking off his boots. He stomped upstairs and turned up The Ramones as loud as he could. “That’ll piss her royal highness right off, that will. Bloody bitch. Like I’m not bloody good enuff fer her! I’ll show her, I’ll bloody well show that one.” He mumbled to himself. He crossed to his cupboard and took out his baby.
He plugged the amp into the wall and plugged the black and red Gibson SG into it. Spike turned the volume up as loud as it would go, which is pretty loud with a 50 watt amp. Opening the window, Spike glanced at her lying face down on her bed and grinned. He flicked the CD onto song number 4 and began to strum as the almighty Ramones sang.

“Hey little girl, I wanna be your boyfriend. Sweet little girl, I wanna be your boyfriend.”

His words had the desired effect as he watched the small girl in the house opposite stand up and close her window.
Spike expected the knock on the door five minutes later.
Spike expected to open the door to find a small blonde girl on his doorstep.
What Spike didn’t expect though, was what she had to say.

“Hi Spike. I’m sorry I didn’t show up after school. Thing is, I forgot. I forgot to meet you, coz I forgot I had promised my mom I’d walk with Willow. I forgot, I’m forgetful, stupid and I’m also very, very sorry.”

“Don’t forget ‘damn annoying’ pet.” Spike smirked down at her.

“And I’m damn annoy… hey!” she hit him on the chest playfully, giggling when he pretended to be hurt. Spike decided he wanted to make her giggle as often as possible; it was such a beautiful sound.

“Alright, Summers, that’s enough beating on the brat for today thank you very much. You owe me an apology.” Spike rolled his tongue behind his teeth. Buffy glared. “I take it back. You don’t have to apologise.” He panicked. Although he would never admit it, she could pack one hell of a punch.

Buffy broke into a smile." What if I wanna apologise? What then Mr. I’m-So-Tough?”

“Then you get down on your hands and knees and you kiss my boot. Go on.” He held out one bare foot. “Shit, that works better with boots on huh?” Buffy giggled again, and Spike smiled affectionately at her.

Buffy looked behind her as a car pulled up and smiled when Giles stepped out, trying to carry five bags of groceries. “Hey da’” Spike greeted the librarian as he took three of the bags, and stepped inside his house.

“Nice to see you, Buffy. What brings you this side of the fence? I thought you and my son were, well, arch nemesis if you like. Have things changed?” Giles asked Buffy.

“Oh, no Mr Giles, we’re still pretty much enemies. I was just telling Spike here to turn his music down. I was trying to sleep.” She looked at Spike over Giles’ shoulder as she spoke, suppressing a groan when he raised his eyebrow at her. It was so sexy.

“Oh right, well, tell your mother we’ll be over at about eight tonight would you? I have to sort a few things out so I’m afraid I’ll be unable to tell her myself.” Giles walked into his kitchen.

“What’s happening tonight? I didn’t know you were coming over for dinner.” Buffy frowned and looked at Spike, surprised to see a look of confusion on his face too. Giles returned from the kitchen at that moment.

“Oh, we’re not coming over for dinner. I’m taking your mother out for dinner. You two can handle being alone together for a few hours without murdering each other can’t you? Joyce has been so looking forward to this. It would be ever such a shame if we had to cancel because you two are unable to sort out your differences.”

“Well, s’long as Buffy can agree not ta throw a wobbly, I rekin I can agree ta that dad. What d’ya say, luv?” Spike turned his baby blue’s to Buffy. How could she resist that?

“Uhh, I… sure. Why not. If there’s not too much innuendo from him, I’m sure we can work things out.” Buffy shot a mischievous grin at Spike and grinned even wider when he winked.

“Splendid. Then eight it is. See you then Buffy.” Giles waved and headed upstairs.

“See you at eight Buff. I’ll bring the ice cream.” Spike prepared himself for her yell.

“It’s a date.” Buffy smiled sweetly and bounced back to her own house. Oh boy, was this going to be fun.