A/N Again sorry for the delay, but taxes and home improvement have been kicking my ass.

London 8:05AM…

Ethan Rayne sat at his desk in the office of Rayne Magazine when his private line rang, “Good Morning Drusilla,” he had been expecting this call.

“You lied to me daddy,” Drusilla screamed in his ear.

“Whatever are you on about Dru?” he replied.

Still screeching, “You know damn well, what I mean. Where is Spike?”

Taking a deep breath, “As I explained before Dru, darling, Spike is in New York doing an interview for the magazine. The very important interview that Liam was supposed to be conducting while he was traipsing around lord knows where with you.”

Feeling slightly scolded, Dru started again, “Daddy, there is a picture of Spike and some twit on the front page of The Daily Mirror this morning.”

“Yes, I saw that. I am sure it is just tabloid fodder. Liz is the woman Spike was sent to interview,” he was exasperated.

“But, Daddy, the article said that he was her new lover and that they were trying to keep it quiet,” she was starting to sound like a child whining for her favorite toy.

“It was an unnamed source and you know that Spike is an utmost professional about his work. Besides, I am not sure why it matters to you, you chose Liam over Spike last I checked,” he snidely stated.

“Daddy, you know that what Spike and I have is eternal, no little thing like divorce can separate us for long,” she replied dreamily.

Thinking she really might be insane, “Well, Dru, if that is true, you have nothing to worry about. I have an appointment now. I will see you when and if you decide to come in to the office.”

“Daddy,” click, “but Daddy,” dial tone. Dru slammed down the phone. She turned to look at the doll on her bed, “Well, Miss Edith, it seems our Spike has been a bad dog. Maybe we need to find out just what he is up to and who with.” She leafed through her address book until she spotted the name she was looking for, “Maybe Mr. McDonald can help us.”
************************************************************************
New York same day….

Spike arrived home to his apartment in the early evening and popped the cd he just bought into his stereo. He was tired having spent most of the morning interviewing Buffy’s ex, Riley Finn after a night filled with her in his dreams.

After their kiss, he had been more anxious that he had messed things up than excited that he had kissed her, but obviously his subconscious did not agree. He had not slept much and when he did, his sleep was filled with dreams of her. In the dreams, they had gone much farther than kissing. He had awakened twice with a raging hard-on, the second so painful that he had to bring himself relief before he could get out of bed. He had tried to think about some non-descript female, then a woman named Harmony that he had slept with, nothing was helping until he imagined looking down to see Harmony’s blonde head bobbing up and down on his cock, only when she looked up, it was not Harmony, but Buffy instead. At that, he had cried out and exploded in one of the most powerful orgasms of his life. Now here he was surrounded by her again, at least surrounded by her music. The song playing was Control, the first song he heard her sing. The way she looked that night, it was the way she looked in those dreams last night, the way she looked at him when he came.

Just replaying that in his mind had gotten him hard again. ‘God, what am I gonna do? “So, sorry Buffy, I just can’t seem to get rid of this substantial problem, especially since I dreamed about you all night.” Get control of yourself man. She is not looking for a drooling groupie, hell you don’t even know if she is looking for a man. She’s hot, your horny, nothing more.’ Deciding that maybe a cold shower would help, Spike made his way to the bedroom to take off his clothes. The cool shower was doing nothing to calm him down. All he could picture was Buffy singing that damn song. He had to ask her about it. It was so different than the others, who was she talking about in that song? Who did she have that kind of sexual relationship with? Why was it driving him crazy? Maybe she was seeing someone else. She’d never said anything, but he’d never asked and why did the thought bother him so much? Well that was all it seemed to take to get rid of the permanent hard-on.

Under tenuous control, Spike finished the shower drifting into thoughts of his day. He had left the interview with Riley Finn this morning wondering how Buffy could have spent one day with the man, let alone one year. He was a nice enough person it seemed, but incredibly boring. The only bright spot of the interview was when they talked about Buffy herself, not his and her botched relationship.

If Finn had not said that he was in love with someone else, Spike could have sworn that he was still in love with Buffy, the way that he talked about her, “There’s nobody like Liz, nobody,” he had made that statement countless times. Spike did think it was telling that he always called her Liz, not Buffy, making him wonder why he was afforded the privilege. Spike had also let Finn believe that he knew what had led to he and Buffy’s break-up, causing Finn to be a little freer with his mouth. He had not lied when he told Buffy, he would not publish such things, he just wanted to know more about what made her tick.

He was shocked to learn that Finn had cheated on Buffy and then had given her an ultimatum about their relationship. No wonder she understood so well about Drusilla, she had been through something similar. Spike could have slugged him when he whined about how Liz never needed him…that all she cared about was her music…that she was so closed off and would not let anyone in. He wanted to tell the guy that Buffy was letting him in and that maybe if Finn had been more trustworthy, they would still be together, but he kept his mouth shut, just nodding his head at the appropriate times.

When he was done with the interview, he picked up some lunch then went back to his place to write up his notes while they were still fresh in his head. That of course led to getting mad on her behalf all over again, so he decided to hit the gym to work out some of his frustration. After the gym, he felt his anger fade away, only to be replaced by the tingling feelings he got before he was supposed to see her. Those feelings had been becoming stronger the more time he spent with her. He was trying to convince himself that it was only because she was nicer than he thought originally and easy to talk to, but his dreams last night and the fact that he was sitting on the bed listening to the Slayer cd were proving him wrong.

Spike finished toweling off, and slipped on his jeans. Just as he was about to grab a shirt, the doorbell rang. Figuring it was just a neighbor; Spike opened the door without looking through the peephole. Standing in front of him, holding two grocery bags was a smiling Buffy.
************************************************************************

A few minutes before….

Buffy was nervous, but she could not figure out why. He said if she ever got the urge to cook, to let him know, well showing up at his door with two big grocery bags was letting him know. It was also giving him no chance to back out. What if he was just being polite? She hadn’t thought of that. Oh well, too late now. She was at his door. He was definitely home, the doorman had said so, but even if he hadn’t, she could hear her music coming through the door. At least he was thinking of her, so it was now or never, she took a deep breath, plastered a big ole smile on her face and rang the doorbell.

When Spike opened the door, shirtless and with wet and wild hair, all Buffy could do was stare. Starting at his shoulders, she followed a bead of water as it traced its way down a beautiful sunken collar bone, over a well muscled pec with a little copper colored nipple, down the most amazing abs she had ever laid eyes on to get caught in the dark sprinkling of hair that trailed down into the top of his jeans. Buffy’s brain went into meltdown mode, ‘Oh my god, look at his chest and abs. I knew he was hot, but shit, I didn’t know he was that hot. Does he spend every waking moment in a gym? I think I need to lie down.’ Spike was saying something to her, but she didn’t hear it. “Huh? What did you say?” she sputtered.

Spike was smirking at her, “I said, what a nice surprise, can I take one of those bags for you? You seem a little preoccupied luv.” Spike was feeling pretty good about himself, Buffy was ogling him like a starving woman and it gave him quite a boost.

Buffy was trying to get herself together, ‘Stop staring at him! Answer him moron!’ “Sorry, could you take one, they are kinda heavy.”

“Sure,” he relieved her of both bags. “Come on in luv. I guess you decided to take me up on my appliance offer.”

Buffy was now a little more coherent, since the bags were covering the salty-goodness of his pecs. “I was hoping you weren’t kidding with the offer.” She shut his door and followed him into the kitchen; “I passed by this grocery on my way back from lunch, so I thought I would surprise you.”

He put the groceries down, turned and smiled “An what a nice surprise it is. What are you making?”

Buffy was getting flustered again, he really needed to put a shirt on, “Uhh, pasta…yeah pasta.”

Spike was loving the affect he was having on her, he couldn’t resist getting a little closer, “That sounds good. I really love pasta.”

‘Oh god,’ she licked her lips and just stared at him.

Seeing her little pink tongue come out to swipe at her lips caused Spike to flash back to his fantasy the night before. That in turn caused major movement in his lower regions, “I better go put a shirt on,” he said before practically running from the room.
***********************************************************************

Spike was breathing hard behind his closed bedroom door, ‘Girl’s been here less than five minutes and you are acting like a freak. She is just here to cook, she said she liked cooking. But she was ogling! Of course she was ogling, you answered the door without a shirt on, what if she had answered the door like that. Noo, noo, don’t go there. Get in control, find a shirt and go back out there like a man.’
************************************************************************

Buffy was not fairing much better. She had dreamed about Spike again last night. Dreams that had caused her to wake in a fever imagining his hard body pressed to hers. Well, now it would just be worse, cause she had the whole chest, abs, hips and back visual to add. Maybe she would move into the shower permanently, cold water never ran out right?
************************************************************************

When Spike calmed himself enough to leave the bedroom, Buffy had unpacked her grocery bags, started some water for pasta, had found the cutting board, and opened a bottle of wine. She saw him standing there more fully clothed and breathed a sigh of relief and maybe disappointment. She handed him a glass of wine and turned away to start to chop for dinner.

He tasted the wine, “The wine’s delicious luv. Do you need any help with dinner?”

She continued in her work, “No, I’m good. This won’t take too long, so if you want to go ahead and get some plates and silverware, I figured we could eat at the coffee table. Oh, and could you change the cd?”

Surprised by the last request, “Does it bother you that I was playing it?

She turned to look at him, “Oh, no, nothing like that. I’ve just been on tour for a long time, so it’s nice to have a break from it all. When did you get it anyway?”

As he was switching cd’s, “I picked it up today. Numerous little birds told me that if I wanted to really know you, all I had to do was listen to your music, ‘s that true?”

She stiffened a little before turning and placing what she had chopped into a frying pan, “I do put a lot of my deepest thoughts and feelings in my songs. It’s easier than talking about them.”

“I promised a more uplifting evening tonight luv, so we can talk more about that later,” he gave her a sweet smile as he started gathering dishes. “But, I do want to ask about the inspiration for one song before I let this subject go.”

“Ok, which one,” she picked up her wine glass and walked toward him.

“I believe its called, Control,” he couldn’t quite look her in the eye.

Buffy smiled a little, “Oh, that one, yeah everyone is curious about that one.”

“Well, it is pretty provocative,” he was watching her as she walked closer to him.

With a secretive smile, “Yeah all that talk about bondage and spanking, speaks of a pretty unhealthy relationship.” She was standing right next to him now, pouting and looking him right in the eye.

Feeling a little hot under the proverbial collar, he stammered, “Yeah, you know we all experiment sometimes. With stuff like that, there has to be trust on both sides or it can get away from you.”

“I guess that’s how Oz felt when he wrote it. Out of control,” she smirked a little and went back to the stove.

It took him a minute, ‘What did she say?’ “Huh? Oz, what?”

“I said that must have been how Oz felt when he wrote the song,” she was starting to smile wider.

He was still mildly confused, “You mean you didn’t…Oz wrote the song?”

She was laughing now, “God, you should see your face. Yes, Oz wrote the song about some girl that he hooked up with for a while when he and Willow broke up in college. He realized how messed up the relationship was and that Willow was the only girl for him. They got engaged about a month after he wrote that song.”

He felt stupid now, of course she had not written that song, “I don’t see what’s so funny.”

Buffy turned back to the stove giggling to herself, “Oh nothing.”

They continued to make small talk as the pasta and sauce cooked. When she thought the sauce was right, she motioned him over for a taste. It struck her as an unusually domestic moment when she lifted the wooden spoon to his lips for a taste. He closed his mouth around the end of the spoon and then closed his eyes to savor the flavor, ‘She is a good cook.’

“Do you like it?” she was practically bursting at the seams.

“Buffy, that’s really great,” he licked his lips. “What do you call it?”

“Pantry pasta, cause I used to make it from whatever was in the pantry,” she babbled, “but since I didn’t know what you had in your pantry or if you even had a pantry, I bought the things I like best.”

He smiled, “Well, its amazing.”

“Oh, you have a little sauce…” Buffy reached up with her thumb and wiped a little smudge from the corner of his mouth, starting to pop it into her mouth when Spike grabbed her wrist and brought it to his lips.

“Can I have a little more,” he took her thumb in his mouth and sucked every bit of sauce off it. Spike pulled Buffy’s thumb from his mouth with an audible pop, stared into her eyes as he lowered his lips to hers.

**I know, I said the smut was coming and it is, I promise, but this was starting to be a really long chapter. If you are nice and review, it will make me post it faster ;-)