A/N: Pay no attention to the words of the song in this chapter. I included it to set a mood. Amy Lee covered this on Origin. The words are Kurt Cobain's.

Also thank you to the reviewers. This is my first fan fic and I am without a beta.

Buffy sat on a stool at the front of the stage. Next to her, Xander strummed the first few chords on his acoustic guitar as the applause continued, “This is the last song tonight,” she stated. “Boooo boooooo” came up from the audience. “Sorry guys, but we just flew in from California today and are beat.” She then turned to the right side of the stage and said, “We don’t usually do covers, but when Faith was with us, this was her favorite, so this is for you chickie.”

He eyes me like a pisces when I am weak
I’ve been locked inside your heart-shaped box for weeks
I’ve been drawn into your magnet tar pit trap
I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn back


As Liz was speaking Spike turned to see a voluptuous brunette off at the side of the stage in the direction that Liz had been turned. The brunette was clapping and whooping like crazy, then settled down to listen to the song. Spike followed her gaze and was once again drawn in by Liz….

Hey! wait!
I’ve got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice
Hey! wait!
I’ve got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice
Hey! wait!
I’ve got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice
Your advice


As beautiful as he thought Liz had been strutting around to the fast songs, it was nothing compared to her, bathed in spotlight, singing a song that had meaning for her. Her skin and hair were luminous, her lips wrapped around the words so carefully and her voice was amazing, almost heart breaking.

Meat-eating orchids forgive no one just yet
Cut myself on angel’s hair and baby’s breath
Broken hymen of your highness I’m left black
Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back


As Spike listened to this final song of the evening, he pulled out a sheet of paper with some notes that he had jotted down about the band. For the first time, he looked up and noticed the other members; a young dark-haired man sat next to Liz on her left, playing an acoustic guitar. ‘That must be Alexander Harris (Xander), a childhood friend of Liz’s. He had dark eyes and resembled the girl, Faith? Oh yeah, that was because they were brother and sister. Faith had been the drummer in Slayer up until two years ago. Well, there might be some good stuff there,’ thought Spike. On Liz’s right, was a smaller man with shocking blue hair, singing back-up. He seemed very reserved for a musician, his face quite stoic. There was a bass guitar perched on the chair next to him. ‘That would be Daniel Osborne (Oz) another long time friend. Wonder if these friends have ever been any more than that to each other? They appear to have known each other quite a long time, they are guys and have had to have noticed how beautiful Liz is’, mused Spike. The drummer was in back, watching the trio up front, almost with a sense of hero worship. Spike thought he looked like he did not fit with the others, younger. He kind of looked like a science geek. ‘Andrew Jenkins, Harris’ girlfriend’s little brother, only been with the band since Faith left. What an inbred group we have here’ Spike thought, ‘that could be good and bad, they know a lot about each other, but are they willing to tell it to a stranger?’ As those thoughts left, Spike’s eyes were once again on Liz. He could feel how his heart rate increased just by looking at her and drifted into thoughts of running his fingers through her hair as she lay beneath him. He could feel his pants getting uncomfortably tight, but could not seem to get his thoughts under control.

Hey! wait!
I’ve got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice
Hey! wait!
I’ve got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice
Hey! wait!
I’ve got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice
Your advice


As Buffy lost herself in the music, she again thought about how nice it would be to only play in small clubs like The Crypt. She missed the intimacy that the last year of playing in huge arenas had taken away. She missed stages where you could really connect with the audience, look into their eyes. Stages where the band felt like family again, where they felt like a group, not her and them. This year had been so hectic, being on the road constantly, living out of hotel rooms and to think she had three more months of it. Buffy consoled herself with the fact that once this tour was over, she would be able to go home and relax for a little while, maybe just be Buffy again and not “Liz Giles, Rock Star.”

‘Oh, who was she kidding, she could never be Buffy again, even though that is what most of her friends and family still called her.’ She knew that she wrapped the persona of Liz around herself like a protective layer, a barrier that allowed no one in. This self-protection had started with her dad leaving and continued with the not so long list of failed relationships, leaving behind a lonely woman who had lost the trusting little girl she once was. Only her long time friends were allowed to get close and even they were not privy to all.

That personal isolation along with the attention she was getting separate from the band was really causing a strain. ‘Just three more months and then we will have some time apart as a band to work on our relationships as friends again. Just three more months and then some of the madness can end,’ she prayed.

He eyes me like a pisces when I am weak
I’ve been locked inside your heart-shaped box for weeks
I’ve been drawn into your magnet tar pit trap
I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn back

Hey! wait!
I’ve got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice
Hey! wait!
I’ve got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice
Hey! wait!
I’ve got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice
Your advice
Your advice
Your advice


Spike shook himself in his seat, trying to get back under control. He could not remember ever reacting to someone so quickly. He had not even spoken to the girl yet and all he could think about was what it would feel like to be completely surrounded by her. ‘Ah hell, she’s probably a self-absorbed diva just like you originally thought and just the fact that she is beautiful and has a soulful singing voice is drawing you in.’ Sure that that was the reason for his feelings, Spike decided it was time to get back to work. ‘He was there to complete an assignment and even though it was not his choice to do this story, he was not going to let his dick blow it. He had let that happen enough with Drusilla, let himself be led around like a dog on a leash. He knew of course that with Drusilla his heart had been ruling, fucking things up. He was never going to let it happen again. The site of Drusilla writhing in another man’s arms flashed before his eyes. He threw his drink back at that thought and vowed that he would not be “love’s bitch” ever again.’ Feeling his body calming down, his own man once more, Spike paid for the drink and made his way toward the stage.


Don't be mad. This is the last of the teasing. They meet in the next chapter.