Spike figured that the best way to get to Liz was to start by introducing himself to Faith. He would explain why he was there, show his press pass if necessary and try to work his way into Liz’s inner circle. He knew that seven days was not a lot of time to compile an article such as this, but maybe with some smooth talk, he could convince her to let him be her shadow. No matter what Lorne had said, Spike was sure she was a publicity whore, just like all performers.

The applause was still going as Faith looked up to see Spike approaching with his “come-hither” smile. She had noticed Buffy and the blonde hottie eyeing each other earlier and was pretty sure that he was looking for an introduction. ‘Well, good on B. Maybe she needs a little fling before she goes away for three months and from the looks of it, this guy knows his way around.’ As he reached her table, Faith stood, smirk firmly in place and said, “Somehow, I don’t think that I’m the lucky one that has brought you prowling this way.”

If possible, Spike’s smile got a little wider as he eyed her slowly from head to toe and back, “Who says, I’m prowling,” he chuckled as his tongue crept out to touch his bottom lip.

Faith’s eyes sparkled as she answered, “Call it an educated guess,” and as she presented her hand, “I’m Faith and just who might you be?”

Spike took her hand in his firm grip, brought it to his lips and said, “My friends call me Spike.”

“I’ll just bet they do,” she uttered as Faith disengaged herself. “So why don’t we skip the idle chit chat and you tell me just why I should introduce you to our lovely Ms. Giles?” At his disbelieving look, she motioned for him to sit down and continued, “Its pretty obvious by the way you were watching her earlier what is on your mind, so now you need to convince me of why I should do it.”

Surprised by her bluntness, Spike back peddled slightly, “I think you might have the wrong idea……”

***********************************************************************
As Buffy helped the guys pack up their stuff, she noticed the blonde from before talking to Faith. ‘I knew he would know Faith, all the hot guys do. Look at them smirking and laughing with each other. What was I thinking; he’s probably a male version of her, all about the chase. Maybe that is what I need, just a no strings short-term thing to tide me over until I can get off the road. He certainly looks like he has the qualifications to fill the job.’

As Buffy got caught up in her musings, Xander approached, “Hey Buffster, you staying out tonight or heading back to the hotel? Earth to Buffy, come in Buffy.”
“Huh what” Buffy muttered as she turned toward Xander. “Hey Xan, what was that you said.”

“I just asked if you were going back to the hotel now or staying out”, Xander repeated.

“Oh, sorry. I’m gonna head back to the hotel after I say bye to Faith,” she said turning back to look in Faith and Spike’s direction. “Do you know who that guy is she’s talking to?”

“Nope, never saw him before, but who knows with Faith,” he shrugged. “I am going over to Anya’s hotel, you can catch a cab with Oz and Andrew if you want, I think they are heading back.”

“Thanks Xan, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Smiling, she added, “Don’t let Anya wear you out, we have that early call tomorrow.”

“OK Buff, see ya later,” he said as he walked away.

************************************************************************
When Spike finished explaining the reason he was at The Crypt, Faith shook her head slightly and said, “I know that she is expecting to meet a reporter here, but I doubt she is expecting you. I don’t envy you trying to get this done, she is not too happy about it.”

“Why,” Spike inquired with a disbelieving look on his face, “most actors and singers are just dying for the attention. I can’t believe she would not want the publicity, plus she has already committed to it, so she really has no choice.”

Shaking her head, Faith warned, “Just a word of advice, B doesn’t like to be backed into corner, she has a tendency to come out swinging.”

Spike chuckled, “I’ll keep that in mind. Why did you refer to her as B?”

“Hey B, we were just talking about you”, Faith said as she stood up.

Spike stood and turned around, coming face to face with Liz Giles. For a moment, it felt like all of the air had been sucked out of the room. Liz and Spike gazed at each other for what seemed like an eternity to Faith before both seemed to snap back to reality. Faith just smiled at the pair, knowing that this situation was about to get really interesting.

Faith stepped up to the couple, “Spike meet B, B meet Spike.” At that Spike stuck out his hand and introduced himself formally, “William Masters, but you can call me Spike.”

‘Oh, British, sexy voice.’ Buffy grasped his hand, looked into his eyes, smiled and said, “Elizabeth Giles, Liz. Are you a friend of Faith’s?”

“No, B actually you have been expecting him,” Faith spoke up.

At her confused look, Spike continued where Faith left off’ “I’m from Rayne magazine. I’ve come to stalk you for the next seven days.”

As soon as the words left his mouth, Buffy stiffened, released his hand and her smile disappeared. Spike immediately felt the loss of her warmth.

Buffy spoke quickly, annoyed at his lack of real interest in her, “Oh, yes, I have been expecting you, but it has been a long day, so if we could start this tomorrow I would appreciate it.”

“Yeah,” Spike agreed, upset by her tone, “it’s been a long day for me too, so that would be fine.”

“First thing in the morning, at 9:00, I think, the band has a photo shoot in mid-town at this address,” she pulled a card from her back pocket and handed it to him, “so if you want to meet us there, I can introduce you to the rest of the band and you can figure out a schedule to talk to everyone.”

Feeling as if he was being dismissed, Spike said, “That is fine, I will meet you there. Are there any other people here in town, besides Faith, that have known you for a while that I could interview for the article?”

Confused, Buffy asked, “Why do you need to talk to more people that know me for an article about the band?”

Spike clarified, “I think you need to understand, I intend on talking to the rest of the band, but that is just mostly as background. This article is about you. My assignment is to do a cover story on you.”

“What the hell are you talking about!”? Buffy’s voice rose, “I never agreed to that. Rayne is supposed to be doing a cover story on Slayer. We have already shot the cover. You must have misunderstood.”

Spike was getting irritated, “Listen princess, there is no misunderstanding by me,” He bent down so that his face was level with hers, “You did agree to an all access interview or at least your people did, so I suggest you get on the phone to them and get it straightened out.”

Buffy got nose to nose with him then, “or what!”

Voice raised, Spike fired back, “Or, I will write the story based on interviews and my impressions of you here, which let me tell you Goldilocks, will not reflect you in the best light.”
Buffy was steaming, she spun around and whipped out her cell phone and muttered as she walked away, “Who the hell does he think he is? Big, stupid, British, jerk.”

Spike turned to Faith, “When little miss high and mighty is done with her tantrum, tell her, I will be at this studio first thing in the morning and she better be ready to talk.” With that he stormed out of the club, muttering to himself about short, blond divas.

Faith just smiled at the two blond’s backs, ‘this is gonna be one fun week. They are either going to kill each other or end up in bed together. Maybe both.’