PART 16

”Queen?!” Dawn frowned.
“Yes, my darling, it’s just a matter of time, I’ve calculated everything. But first, I have to eliminate the Slayer!” he said with an evil sneer.
“Due to your energy, I thought you were the Slayer, and that would’ve been perfect, I would have had my queen and killed the Slayer in her in one single move..” he explained.

< Due to my energy?> Dawn thought, confused.

“But as it turned out you weren’t her... so anyway, the most important part is your energy. I don’t know where it comes from, but I don’t really care. You’ve got a power you can’t even begin to imagine, that’s why I want you, with my magic and your great energy we will be unstoppable!” he went on.

< My energy... > the teenager repeated in her mind.

Justin approached Buffy, and if looks could kill, Spike’s would’ve killed him in a heartbeat.
“Plus, I forgot to tell you, Slayer..” he said, caressing her cheek.
“... It will be great fun seeing you die at the hands of your own sister!” he ended, bursting into a devilish laughter.
He turned to Dawn again.
“Love, it will be wonderful, you and me destroying everything, taking the whole world over, you...”
“Dawnie, you’re stronger than him, fight his control over you...” Buffy yelled, cutting him off.
“Nibblet, remember, we are a family... and the members of a family don’t kill each other...” Spike added, and he couldn’t help noticing how much that speech reminded him of Drusilla’s spiels.

“Shut up, there’s nothing you can do, she will be mine forever!” Justin yelled, caressing Dawn’s face.
“Because you want it, because you want to have power, you want revenge, you want to dominate the world with me forever...” he whispered.
“Yeah, I want power... with you... forever…” she repeated, pulling him down to her so she could kiss him impetuously, under Buffy and Spike’s astonished look as they thought it was over.
“But there’s something I gotta do, first... just as you wish...” she said, stopping the kiss but remaining in his embrace.
“I wanna kill them for you. Once they’re dust no one will dare to tear us apart...” she went on, caressing his cheek.
“... And then, you’ll make me be like you... you’ll give me power and we’ll rule together, destroying this world where no one cares...” she said with an evil smile.
“Dawn.. Nooo! You’re stronger..” Buffy tried to make her reason, but Dawn cut her off roughly.
“Shut up, I hate you!”

And then, she turned to Justin again, smiling at him.
“And you, love, give me a stake. The sooner I kill them, the better it will be!” she commented, clinging to him.
He smiled back, making a stake appear from nowhere.
“Here, love, have fun!” he exclaimed, giving it to her.
“You bet!” she smiled, pulling him to her once more.
“But first, another kiss...” she murmured, kissing him passionately.
“You are so powerful...” she said between kisses, caressing his shoulders.
“You are an unbeatable wizard...” she went on, caressing his chest as she held the stake firmly in her other hand.
“... But above all that... you are * a vampire *!” she added, driving the stake through his heart before he could evade it.
“NOOOO! It can’t be... you can’t...” but he didn’t manage to finish his sentence because he had became dust.

A second later, the spell that immobilized Spike and Buffy broke but they were still anyway, staring at her speechlessly.
“ ‘Make your enemy believe he can get what he wants easily... and * then * strike when he less expects it.’ You were right, Spike, it’s a bloody good strategy! See? I’ve learned the lesson well, haven’t I?” Dawn smiled, throwing the stake away.
“Do you mean... you were just pretending? Bloody Hell, Nibblet! I was sure you were under his influence!”
“Believe me, I really was. But when you came here and you, Spike, fought against him, I guess that must have weakened him... almost as much as the spell he cast to immobilize you. So, when he came back to me, telling me those things... it didn’t work anymore, and I just played his game...followed his lead… thank God, he didn’t notice that...” she explained.
“Well, my dear girl, you have a brilliant future as an actress! But... didn’t you love him, Dawnie?” Buffy asked her. After all, she knew a thing or two about sacrifices for love.

“Love him?! Nooo, he just dominated my mind. Sure, when I saw him for the first time, I immediately thought he was gorgeous, that I would like to date with him... maybe even flirt a little... but nothing more.. It wasn’t love. Quite the contrary, I really hated him with all my being especially when he said, more than once I might add, that he wanted me just because of my energy... and I guess that is the exact moment his influence disappeared completely. And I really thank my lucky star that I didn’t tell him I’m the key. I mean, I understand the saying ‘the most important thing is to be beautiful inside’, but there’s a limit to that!” she snapped, making the two vampires laugh.
“And I hate people who try to involve me on long-term projects without my consent; who cares about ruling the world? I just want to graduate from high school and go to college... oops, sorry, Buffy!” the teenager said, when she realized that her sister couldn’t do that kind of stuff anymore.
“Sorry for what? Dawnie, I’m more than fine the way I am now!” he sister answered, smiling to her beloved Sire.
“Plus, I’ve never been the schoolgirl type, anyway..” she added.

Dawn smiled at her, but then she became upset and broke down crying.
“Oh, Buffy, Spike, I’ve been so horrible with you, told you terrible things. I still wonder why you bothered to save me.. I didn’t deserve it.. and I don’t deserve your forgiveness..” she said between sobs.
“In fact, we haven’t forgiven you…” Spike informed her, and her reddened eyes went wide, shocked by what he said; but she saw him smile to her a second after.
“... because there’s really nothing to forgive!” he assured her, caressing her hair.
“We knew it wasn’t really you talking to us..” Buffy smiled to her, hugging her until she felt her sobs stop, as she wiped her tears and sniffed.

“Maybe, you haven’t realized it yet, but you’ve just killed Schlecht, one of the most powerful wizards in the world. Whole generations of Slayers and witches had failed before you..” Buffy congratulated her.
“He might be strong, powerful and everything, but not enough to know that: you should * never* trust a woman, especially one that has been insulted in her self-esteem!” her sister smiled to her.
“Anyway, * we* defeated him, because without your help I wouldn’t had been able to do anything. If you hadn’t distracted him, weakening his magic temporarily... I would’ve been under his complete influence forever. He would’ve turned me, and… NO, I don’t even want to think about the consequences!” the teenager explained.

“It seems this bad experience has left us some positive aspects, after all...” she added, puzzling the two blondes.
“I also got a new wonderful dress!” she exulted, twirling around in her black elegant dress.
“… And it wasn’t that hard to play pretend and kiss him, he was a hottie!” she ended with a smirk.
“You know what? He was good looking just because he had bloody chosen to be good looking!” Spike made her notice.
Dawn frowned.
“What do you mean?”
“That wasn’t his real aspect, without magic he looked mostly like... do you remember the Master?” he carried on as Dawn’s expression turned from confusion to complete disgust.
“Eeeww! You mean that I was sure I hung out with Brad Pitt, and instead he was Freddy Krueger?”
“I couldn’t have explained it better myself!” he nodded.
“Double eeeww!” she repeated, as she rubbed her mouth with the back of her hand, almost hysterically.
“Well, Dawnie, at least you only knew the Brad Pitt side!” Buffy comforted her
“Well, let’s forget that and go back home! It’s not the first time I see this castle. I know the way home, and it’s 3:30 a.m., so there’s time enough to get there before dawn, let’s go!” Spike incited them, finally leaving the castle.

“Damn! Now I’ve gotta find another date for Anya and Xander’s wedding!” Dawn exclaimed.
“C’mon, Nibblet, don’t tell me a pretty girl like you doesn’t have bunch of guys lying at her feet!” Spike commented, making her blush a lot.
“Well... there could be Brian… he’s so cute...” she admitted, grinning.
“Brian?” Buffy repeated, eager to know more.
“Yeah, he’s not in my class, but Janice told me that Emma told her that Sarah told her that James told her that David told him that Brian kinda fancies me...” Dawn informed them, as Buffy and Spike had lost the thread of her tale after the third person she had mentioned.
“You know, this guy is a real monster...” Dawn went on.
“ANOTHER?!” Buffy and Spike exclaimed in unison, very worried.
“...with the ball! He’s the football team’s captain!” the girl laughed, making the two vampires emit a deep sigh of relief.

TBC

Author’s Note: And this is the end of... Act I. There will be a small Act II and finally Act III, honestly, my fave one. ;)
About this part, I don’t want to annoy you but I really need to know: did you find it too hasty, predictable or not very credible ?
I know, usually Dawn doesn’t double-crosses, that’s Spike’s main hobby ( and B.B.B., too, sometimes..) , but there were some indications during the fic: Spike’s advice during his second patrol with Dawn; Spike telling that the only weak point of Schlecht was being a vamp...
I don’t know, I guess this was the most suitable solution.. but I accept any critics!
Well, know I’ll give you some relax with Act II, but then.. get ready.. remember the other pending matter?
Thanks to everyone who has followed my story so far, and thanks to everyone who will still do it! ;)