Chapter 9 – Conflicting Interests


As the weeks went by, Buffy and Spike settled into a comfortable slaying relationship. The desire was still alive and well, but they had managed to maintain it. Knowing that Spike had feelings for her, Buffy did her best to ignore the growing affection she had for him, but she knew it would only get harder. She thought about going back to New York, telling him her sister needed, but she knew he wouldn’t take what she said at face value.

All kinds of scenarios fluttered through Buffy’s head as she stared up at the ceiling of her apartment one night. Spike had informed Wesley and Buffy that he needed a night off and Buffy had readily agreed but felt a little saddened by the fact that this was the first night in over a month that she wouldn’t be able to see him.

Thinking about patrolling for a moment, she decided against it, reasoning that she deserved a night out. She hadn’t gone out with the intention of having a good time since Dawnie had dragged her clubbing in New York, and even then, she’d just sat back and watched her sister have a fun.

“It can’t hurt to see if you’ve still got it, Buff,” she mumbled to herself as she searched through her closet. Pulling out a black leather mini-skirt and a red halter, she smiled. So what if it was from her high school days? She still looked pretty damn good. Quickly dressing and pulling on her shoes, Buffy ran a brush through her hair and headed out the door, not bothering to grab a coat since she couldn’t feel the cold anyway.

Walking into the Bronze a few minutes later, she smiled to herself as several pair of eyes focused on her. Surveying the club for a few minutes before heading out to the dance floor, she was immediately enveloped in a group of frat boys as she danced. Smiling seductively, Buffy swung her hips, enjoying the rush of feminine power when she felt their eyes staying riveted to her. As the song continued, one of the became more brazen and stepped up to Buffy from behind, wrapping his arms around her waist as he pulled her closer.

* * * * *

Entering the Bronze in an angry mood, Spike cracked his neck in irritation. After planning on spending the evening with Cecily, he’d left early when she kept going on and on about how she should be the one patrolling with him and spending time with him and not ‘that other girl.’ When her relentless nagging didn’t end after more than an hour, Spike left her house with his temper flaring, yelling at her that it was over.

Of course, she hadn’t agreed with him, but he really wasn’t concerned about what she thought.

Now, as he looked through the crowded club, he spotted a flash of blonde hair on the dance floor, Spike got a little closer and recognized Buffy. Looking harder, he saw her wrapped tightly in the meaty paws of an overgrown jock.

Stalking over to the dance floor, Spike made his way through the pack of men until he came to stand in front of Buffy. Without saying a word, he grabbed her wrist and proceeded to drag her out of the club. Barely getting a chance to gain her footing as Spike dragged her, she knew she could get out of his grip if she wanted to, but she also knew that it would probably end in a physical fight if she tried, considering the rigid hold that he had on her.

As Buffy was dragged out of the club, Spike turned to face her. “What the hell were you doing?!”

Staring at him incredulously, she felt as if she was getting yelled at for staying out past her curfew, causing her to return the anger. “What the hell did it look like?! I was dancing!”

“Being molested is more like it!”

“And just who the hell do you think you are? My father? If I want to dance, I’m allowed to. I don’t need your permission, Spike!” She practically spit out his name as she walked past him, only to be grabbed by the shoulders and shoved against the brick wall with a fuming Slayer in
front of her.

Tightening her lips as she stared into Spike’s eyes, she gritted her teeth together. “So, what are you gonna do, Spike? Hit me? Just because I danced with a guy, you feel the need to go all caveman on the helpless little girl?” Buffy looked into his burning eyes to gauge his reaction. “Well, I’ve got news for you, Spike. If I didn’t want him touching me, he wouldn’t have been. So if you’re going to start a fight with me, you may as well do it because I could have some plans for the rest of the night.”

Trying to rein in his temper as she said it, he felt his emotions careening out of control. Imagining another man touching her in any way nearly drove him over the edge. He lost all restraint whenever he thought about her and Angel being intimate with each other, and that was over a decade ago. Not thinking before he acted, Spike smashed his lips against hers in a brutal kiss.

Feeling as if she was being attacked when his tongue explored her mouth, his lips savagely claiming hers, Buffy began to struggle for power over the kiss. Spike’s arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her closer to him as he pushed his erection against her.

A thrill rushed through her as he ground his arousal against her. Buffy’s arms wrapped around his neck as the vicious elements of the kiss began to be replaced with more tender caresses of their lips. Pulling away after a few minutes, she seemed to snap back to her senses. Looking up into Spike’s eyes, she could still see the anger in them and pushed against his chest. With one last look, she walked down the alley, hearing the crack of something behind her. Not bothering to turn around, she knew that he just punched the brick wall.

Watching as Buffy walked away, Spike slammed his fist into the nearby wall when she turned the corner. Clenching his jaw, he stood there for a few minutes thinking of what he wanted to do. His rage was telling him to go find the guy who’d been groping the woman he wanted. His mind told him to go patrolling and take out his aggression on the vampire population. It was his desire that eventually won out.

“Bloody hell,” he muttered as he broke out into a jog to find Buffy. No matter what happened with her, it was bound to be an interesting night.