Chapter 11 – New Arrival


Spike had stayed away from Buffy for almost a week, knowing she’d want some time to herself and also letting her feel a false sense of security that he had given up on her. Now, as he knocked on her front door, he relished the shocked look on her face.

“H-how did you find me?” she asked, looking around the exterior of the complex before settling her eyes on him.

“A lot of research,” he replied with a smirk.

“Leave,” she said in a hardened voice.

“No,” he said, the smirk never leaving his face.

“Fine,” she muttered, moving to shut the door. Quickly blocking the door frame, Spike entered the apartment.

“Nice place, love,” he said, surveying the interior.

“I didn’t ask,” Buffy replied, standing in front of him with her arms still crossed over her chest, earning a look from Spike.

“Now, now, don’t be like that. You know you’re just a little thrilled that I’m here,” he said, walking over and loosely taking hold of her hips.

“Spike, don’t,” she whispered, her resolve already crumbling at the gentle feel of his hands on her waist.

“Can’t help it,” he murmured, bending lower to gently kiss along her neck. “Just being around you, I have to touch you.”

Closing her eyes as she swallowed, Buffy relished the feel of his lips on her skin, before gently pushing him away. “Spike, we can’t do this.”

“And why’s that?”

Straining to find a reason for a moment, she visibly brightened, pleased with herself when she thought of one. “You have a girlfriend.”

Lightly ran his tongue over his lips as he stared at her hungrily, he arched an eyebrow in her direction. “Says who?”

“Wh-what?”

“You really think,” he began, wrapping his arms around her again. “That after I’ve been with you, I would willingly go back to her? I told her a week ago that it was over.”

Looking down and noticing how intimately their bodies were pressed together, she could have sworn she felt her heart begin to beat for a moment.

“Spike,” she said softly. “I’m not saying it was a mistake. Because it wasn’t,” she said urgently, looking up into his eyes. “But, I think we need to slow it down.”

“What do you mean slow down? Buffy, we’ve already shagged- there’s no reason to get shy on me now,” he said, getting angry.

Carefully masking her feelings as she looked into his eyes, she tried to control the trembling of her chin. “So you only want to be with me if I’ll keep screwing you, is that it?” she asked calmly.

Clenching his teeth together, Spike looked at the ceiling. “Bloody hell, Slayer. I didn’t say that. Stop putting words in my mouth.”

Disentangling herself from his grasp, Buffy moved toward the door. “Thanks for stopping by.”

“Don’t be like this. Come on, Goldilocks, I just came over to see if you wanted to go patrolling.”

Thinking about it for a moment, Buffy slowly nodded. “Okay. Let me get changed.”

Spike nodded and waited by the door as she disappeared into her bedroom, resisting the urge to follow her. When she reemerged a moment later, he felt his mouth go dry as she headed toward him. She had changed into a pair of black leather pants and a snug-fitting white shirt with a low V-neck. Looking away before he was affected anymore than he already was, he cleared his throat. “Ready?” he asked, waiting until she nodded. “Let’s go.”

* * * * *

After more than an hour of patrolling, Buffy was ready to call it quits. They had staked one vampire and hadn’t even spotted any others.

“Where are they tonight?” she grumbled.

Smiling at the childish note in her voice, Spike shrugged. “Honestly don’t know. I didn’t get the memo.”

Glaring at his smart-ass attitude, she turned when she heard a noise. Noticing the change in her, Spike stopped to wait with her.

“This way,” she mumbled.

“What’s wrong?”

“Sounds like someone’s fighting, but you and I are both right here.”

“It could be Gunn. Sometimes he cuts through on his way home from Fred’s,” Spike said, running toward the sound.

Jogging with him until the fight came into view, Buffy skidded to a stop with Spike pausing next to her as they stared at the two people. Watching a woman in black dress pants and a blood red top, currently kicking the crap out of a vampire, both stood with gaping mouths as she landed a high-spinning kick to the vamp’s head before turning with a fluid motion and shoving a stake in his heart.

Gripping her stake as the woman turned to face them, Buffy narrowed her eyes when she watched the woman slip out of her game-face as she walked toward them. Swallowing a gasp when she drew closer and she was able to get a good look at her, Buffy’s eyes narrowed. Her dark chestnut hair fell halfway down her back, and the closer she got, Buffy could see the resemblance between herself and this stranger. It appeared that the woman was just as shocked to see a woman who could have been her twin standing in front of her. While Buffy’s eyes were
hazel, the woman’s were brown. Her lips weren’t quite as full, and she was an inch or two taller, but the resemblance was remarkable.

“You must be Spike,” she said with a soft voice. “I’m Cassidy.”

Staring at her for a moment, obviously trying to get over the resemblance, Spike tilted his head slightly. “And how do you know me?”

“Everyone knows the Slayer, but I’m afraid I don’t know you,” she said, turning to Buffy, who was looking at her skeptically.

“Apparently you need to brush up your Slayer history, then. I’m Buffy Summers.”

The shock was evident on the woman’s face as she stared at the other Slayer. “But you’re dead.”

“Yep…and still kickin’.”

“But you’re not a vampire. I would have heard.”

Letting her fangs lengthen as her eyes turned a remarkable shade of lavender, Buffy could see Spike staring at her in surprise, realizing he’d never seen her version of a game-face. As she turned to look at him, he stared at her eyes, shocked that they weren’t the typical amber color.

Buffy shrugged. “I don’t know why,” she said, answering his unasked question before turning her attention back to the woman. “So…Cassidy, what do you want?”

“I want to help.”

Buffy looked at her doubtfully. “You want to help? With what, making sure the human population doesn’t get too high?”

“I want to fight,” she said, directing her attention at Spike and ignoring the woman standing beside him. “I want to help you.”

“Why’s that?”

Noticing the way Spike was staring at the woman, Buffy felt a twinge of jealousy, but fought to ignore it.

“I have a soul.”

Buffy’s head snapped around to stare at Cassidy. “You have a soul?” she scoffed. “You do realize they don’t just stand in line and hand those out.”

“Give her a chance,” Spike said, putting a restraining hand on her arm.

“A chance to what, Spike? Get you to feel all safe and comfortable and then go in for the kill? Why bother giving her a chance? You didn’t give me one.”

“I did, Slayer, it just took a little longer.” Turning his attention to Cassidy, he continued, “How’d you get a soul?”

“I was cursed…I’m not sure by who.”

“Excuse us,” Buffy said with false sincerity as she grabbed Spike’s arm and led him away. When they were safely out of hearing distance, she let go and spun around to face him. “Are you crazy? You must really have a death wish!”

“Calm down, Buffy. Shouldn’t we give her the benefit of the doubt?”

“No! No benefit, only doubt! I don’t like this, Spike. Any vampire can come up to you and tell you that they have a soul. It doesn’t mean they do, and there’s no way to check for it.”

“Buffy, I can take care of myself, and if this chit wants to stake a few vamps, then that’s fine by me.”

“Spike-”

“No, Buffy, I know what I’m doing.”

Watching as he turned and headed back to the woman, the female part of her wanted to leave in a huff of not being listened to, but the Slayer part nagged at her to follow this untrustworthy vampire. Buffy didn’t like her, no matter what Spike’s feeling was. Slowly trailing after him, she heard them laughing over something Cassidy had said, and it almost made her feel sick.

Coming up to stand next to Spike, Buffy stood silently for a few seconds before Spike turned to her. “We’re going to the Bronze, love. You wanna tag along?”

Looking at him incredulously for a moment, the female part of her finally won. “No…I really don’t.”

Turning and walking through the cemetery, Spike noticed that she was walking away from the direction of her apartment, but he shrugged it off. Putting a hand on Cassidy’s back, he began to lead her to the Bronze.