Chapter 12 – Jealousy


Wandering through town aimlessly for over an hour, Buffy managed to hold the tears back, not wanting to start and not be able to stop. It hurt that Spike didn’t trust her judgment, but it hurt even worse that he had chosen that imposter over her.

Walking down Main Street a few minutes later, Buffy hugged her arms tightly to her chest. She felt more alone now than she had when she first arrived in Sunnydale.

“Hey!”

Buffy turned at the sound of the male voice and watched as a man jogged up to her. She refrained from getting into fighting stance as he approached. He didn’t look like a threat, and if he was, Buffy was sure she could take care of him in less than a minute.

“I know you.”

Looking at him in bewilderment for a moment, Buffy shook her head. “I don’t think so.”

“No, you’re sisters with a girl I knew. Dawn…Summers, I think.”

“You know Dawn?”

“Yeah, I graduated with her, and you’re her sister…Bunny?”

“Buffy,” she replied with a laugh. “And you are?”

“Oh, sorry, I’m RJ Brooks.”

“Star Sunnydale High quarterback,” Buffy said, nodding. “I remember you.”

“Yeah, you graduated a couple of years before me. I didn’t know if you’d remember, but damn, you’re looking good!”

Immediately cheering up when she heard the compliment, she offered him a smile. “Thank you.”

“Well, listen, I was wondering if you’d want to go get a drink with me?”

“I-I don’t know. It’s getting pretty late, and-”

“Aw, come on. Just one little drink, and it’s right around the corner.”

“What the hell?” Buffy said after a moment. “I need to loosen up a little, I guess. Let’s go.”

“Great!” RJ said as he led her to the Bronze.

Pausing for a moment before walking through the door, Buffy took a deep breath. ‘What if Spike’s still there?’ she asked herself, worrying her bottom lip. Shaking off her feelings, she followed RJ into the club. ‘So what if he sees me. He’s the one who wanted to get me back and then left with another woman. He can’t dictate my life, especially when he was drooling over my look-alike.’

Following RJ through the club, she smiled softly when he blindly reached his hand toward her, trusting that she would take it. Hesitantly taking his hand, she looked around the club. The Bronze was crowded since it was the weekend, which explained why the vampires weren’t out yet- they were all waiting for people to go home. Scanning the interior and not seeing Spike,
Buffy let RJ lead her to a table. As he took off to get their drinks, she watched him go. He really wasn’t that bad to look at- he had that wholesome, boy next door quality. Unfortunately, Buffy was finding herself attracted to the bad boy look as of late. ‘What the hell,’ she thought. ‘It’s not like this would be a long-term relationship. You may as well have some fun, Buffy.’

* * * * *

Standing with Cassidy on the balcony of the Bronze, Spike didn’t understand why he felt so drawn to her. Aside from her obvious resemblance to Buffy, there was no reason for him to feel this way, but he didn’t stop to analyze it either.

Cassidy had been shamelessly flirting with him all night, but his mind kept getting drawn back to the hurt expression on Buffy’s face before she had walked away from him tonight. He didn’t mean to hurt her feelings- he just wanted her to relax a little bit, which was why he had suggested the Bronze. Thinking that if they heard Cassidy’s side of the story, she’d be more forthcoming with the benefit of the doubt. Instead, she had turned around and gone the other way. Spike had seen the emotions dancing in her eyes but chose to ignore it at the time. Now he was feeling guilty- especially as Cassidy plastered herself to his side.

There was no doubt he was attracted to her, but his thoughts always went back to Buffy. Now as he stared over the railing of the balcony, listening to Cassidy talk his ear off, he caught sight of the blonde he couldn’t get out of his mind. Jealousy filled him as he watched a man hand her a drink and sit down next to her.

‘She said she wasn’t coming,’ he thought angrily. ‘Then she shows up with some ponce I’ve never even seen before and sits there, having a drink with him?’

Watching for several more minutes as Buffy and the stranger flirted, Spike grabbed Cassidy’s hand and led her down the stairs and to the dance floor. Wrapping her securely in his arms as the slow music continued, he felt her body drape around him in a seductive manner. Looking up, he caught Buffy’s eye, and his gut twisted at the sorrow on her face. He watched as she turned to the man and said something to him before getting up and walking out of the Bronze with the man practically tripping over himself to follow her.

“Cassidy, I think we better call it a night.”

“But we just got here,” she purred.

“It’s been a while, and there’s some place I need to be.”

The girl in front of him pouted, and Spike was disturbed to realize that it had nearly the same effect on him that Buffy’s did. Pulling away from her, he gave her a nod. “I’ll see you soon. I really need to go.”

Not giving her a second glance, Spike made his way to the exit. Quickly walking to Main Street, he didn’t see her anywhere. Walking up and down the street once, he checked the alleys before he felt his stomach drop at the thought of her taking the man back to her place.

* * * * *

Unlocking her door, Buffy slowly turned back to face the man behind her. “Thanks for walking me home, RJ, but it really wasn’t necessary.”

“Well, I always make sure that my dates arrive home okay.”

“Date?” she asked with a slight smile.

“Poor choice of words, sorry,” he said with a sheepish expression.

“That’s okay,” Buffy said with a shrug. “I’m sorry I had to cut the night short. I’m just not feeling too well.”

“That’s okay. I’m glad I ran into you. Maybe I can run into you again sometime?”

“Maybe,” she said with a coy smile. “I had fun, RJ.” Leaning up to kiss the taller man on his cheek, Buffy quickly pulled away.

“I’ll see you,” he said with an answering smile. Turning around, RJ faced a very irritated man coming up behind him. Noticing him at the same time, Buffy gritted her teeth as he approached.

Looking directly at Buffy, Spike ignored the other man. “We need to talk.”

“Buffy, will you be okay if I leave?”

Plastering a smile on her face as looked at RJ, she nodded. “I’ll be fine. Nothing to worry about here. You go ahead.”

RJ nodded, not entirely convinced, but he flashed her a smile anyway before heading down the steps to the patio as Buffy turned cold eyes on Spike. “We have nothing to talk about.”

“Like hell,” he said, pushing past her and entering the apartment. Buffy sighed and followed him in, slamming the door behind her.

“Why are you even here, Spike? I thought you’d be off with your new girl.”

“Bloody hell, Slayer, I invited you to come along!” Spike yelled.

“I’m really not looking to experience a ménage a trios, but thanks for thinking of me,” she replied, crossing her arms over her chest and raising an eyebrow at him.

Spike was across the room in less than a second, pinning her to the door as he smashed his lips to hers. Enraged that he would try something so intimate after practically having sex with Cassidy on the dance floor twenty minute before, Buffy shoved him away, wiping her lips to further irritate him. “What the hell are you doing?”

Spike didn’t answer, just swung her up over his shoulder, carrying her to the bedroom as Buffy clawed and punched his back. “Put me down, you son of a- oomph.”

Landing with a thump as Spike threw her down on the soft mattress, she glared at him for a moment before scrambling away from him when Spike began shedding his clothes. “I asked you a question.”

“Well, love,” he began, unbuttoning his shirt. “Right now, I’m too pissed at you to get a soddin’ thought in my head. So the way I see it, you have two options. One- we beat the living hell out of each other, or two- I shag you and get some of this aggression out. Either way, lamb, you’re gonna get it.”

Buffy propped herself up on her knees. “How dare you! You think just because I ‘shagged’ you once I’ll do it again? You really have a lot of-”

Her words were silenced when Spike grabbed each side of her face and planted a gentle kiss on her lips. Pulling away, she glared daggers at him. “Don’t think that’ll get you off the hook.”

“No…but this will,” he said with a smirk as he dropped his pants to the floor.

Buffy raised an eyebrow. “Got a high opinion of yourself, don’t you?”

“Haven’t heard any complaining,” he said, pulling her off the bed as he slipped her leather pants and thong to the floor. Raising up, Spike grabbed the hem of her shirt and dragged it over her head, pulling her bra off with it. “Got any more quick retorts?”

Looking at him with pure loathing as he stepped forward, Buffy tried to slow her breathing as the anger welled up inside of her. “Don’t think that you’re forgiven.”

“Wouldn’t dream of thinkin’ it, pet.”

“What am I, your second choice tonight?” she asked, gritting her teeth.

“Just what the hell is that supposed to mean?” he asked, grabbing her arms and guiding her backward.

“It means, you were practically being smothered by your new little admirer, and now you’re here with me. Why?”

Shoving her down on the bed, Spike ignored the token struggle as he climbed on top of her. “It means that I want you. It means that I’m falling for you, and I have never wanted to kill a human more than when I saw you and that pillock tonight.”

Not giving her a chance to comprehend what he was saying, Spike pinned her arms above her head and entered her in one smooth motion, grinding himself against her when their hips met.

Arching toward him, Buffy struggled once more, this time for more control, jerking her arms out of his grasp and clawing along his back. Not phased by the suddenly violent move, Spike kissed down the length of her throat before continuing, “I thought I was going to go crazy when I imagined you coming home with him…doing what you’re doing to me.”

“Mmmm,” Buffy moaned, tightening her thighs around him as she bit the side of his neck with her blunt teeth. “I’m not doing anything to you…yet.”

“You have no idea what you do to men, baby. Not just me.”

Arching her back for more contact as Spike thrust into her, she looked into his eyes. “I wasn’t going to-”

“I know. I just don’t like thinking of it. I wasn’t going to, either.”

Wrapping her legs around Spike’s waist as he plunged into her, Buffy jumped when his lips met hers in a tender kiss, hesitantly wrapping her arms around his shoulders.

“You’re mine, Buffy. You belong to me,” Spike ground out as he pumped in and out of her.

“I don’t belong to anyone,” she countered, lifting her hips to meet his thrusts.

Growling at her defiance, he grabbed her hips to try and get some relief from the anger and tension she was causing him.

“You’re beyond frustrating, do you know that?” he said as he reached in between them to softly brush a finger over her clit, stopping after a few seconds.

“Spike,” she gasped, feeling the loss of sensations and desperately craving what he had been offering only a moment ago.

“You’re mine, Buffy,” he repeated.

“No!” she said, looking at him in defiance before quickly flipping them. Once she was on top, she rapidly rode him as his fingers held onto her hips, bruising the skin that had only just healed from their last escapade in the cemetery.

Feeling her climax nearing as Spike physically moved her up and down on his cock, she moved up and down on him, swiveling her hips in a small circle, Buffy screamed out her release as she saw stars dancing in front of her eyes. Spike pumped into her a few more times before pulsing deep inside her welcoming body.

As Buffy fell forward, Spike softly began stroking her back, enjoying the fact that she wasn’t jumping up to kick him out of her home. Deciding if he wanted to stay the night, he better adjust his attitude. Spike buried his face in her hair as he wrapped his arms securely around her waist. “I’m sorry, baby.”

Buffy raised up to look at him with watery eyes. “You are?”

Smiling softly, he nodded, pulling her forward to kiss her gently before moving her to lay next to him on the bed.

“I’m sorry, too,” she whispered, snuggling against his chest, enjoying the warmth he provided as she closed her eyes. Feeling content for the first time in years, both drifted off to sleep.