Chapter 1 - Discovery


Standing on his Watcher’s doorstep less than half an hour later, incessantly ringing his doorbell, Spike impatiently began knocking on the wooden surface. When the door finally opened to reveal a very disgruntled man in a bathrobe, he had to suppress a grin. Pushing his way into the house instead, and headed for the living room.

“William, I hope there is a valid reason for you to be visiting me at this ungodly hour.”

“It’s not even midnight. Aren’t all you Watchers supposed to be night owls like your Slayers?”

“That’s a common misconception,” he said in a tired voice.

"Oh well. To answer your question, yes, there is a valid reason for me to be here. I need to know everything you know about Buffy Summers.”

His Watcher froze, his eyes widening in shock as he stared at the young man. “Buffy Summers?”

“Yeah, Wes. Come on, I know you have to know about her.”

Wesley Wyndham-Pryce surveyed his Slayer for a moment before hesitantly nodding. “Indeed. Why do you want to know?”

“I met this girl. She hinted that she knew her or maybe she was her. Not quite sure,” Spike replied with a shrug.

“William,” Wesley began as he sat down, folding his hands in front of him. “What did this woman look like?”

“I don’t know…younger than me, long blonde hair, tiny little scrap of a thing who nearly kicked my ass, by the way. Oh, and she was a vampire.”

“Impossible,” the older man said, shaking his head.

“That’s why I’m here, Wes. I’ve heard of her, but I don’t remember the details. She died before I was even a teenager. It’s not like I paid much attention to the cycle of Slayers before I became one. Who was she?”

“She was…she was arguably the greatest Slayer to ever live, saving the world from at least six apocalypses and numerous other feats. She died at the hands of the Master, only to be revived by a friend, but not before the activation of another Slayer. She then killed the Master, fought in hand to hand combat with Angelus numerous times, sending him to Hell in the process.”

“But Angelus is living in L.A. Who would think it was the ninth circle of Hell,” Spike said with a smirk.

“He was brought back. Presumably by the Powers That Be,” Wesley continued, ignoring the young man. “Do you remember what I told you about his soul?”

“The whole 'perfect happiness' mumbo jumbo? Yeah, I got the gist of it. Someone was able to re-ensoul him.”

“Yes…that someone was a friend of Buffy’s who has since turned into a very powerful witch. Year’s passed, and Buffy thwarted each of her enemies, one by one. The mayor’s Ascension, a human-demon hybrid, creatures called the Gentlemen. She was successful with each encounter, until the Hell God Glorificus came along.”

“Searching for the Key,” Spike filled in, nodding in remembrance.

“Yes, Buffy’s sister. Buffy could have let her sister die that night, but instead, she sacrificed herself to save the world yet again, throwing herself off a tower to close a Hell dimension. That was about nine years ago.”

Spike nodded. “And her death activated Faith?”

“No, her presence as the Slayer had already activated another. When the other slayer died, Faith was called-”

“And when Faith died, I was called. So who the hell is this girl I met?”

“I honestly don’t know, but I feel you better find out.”

“Yep,” he said, rising from the couch. “I’m on it.”

Heading out the door, Spike missed the unusual look on his Watcher’s face as he walked out into the night.