Chapter 4 – Getting to Know You


Patrolling in silence for several minutes, Spike finally spoke, “So, you almost got my Watcher fired?”

Glancing over at him in surprise, Buffy slowly nodded. “Yeah…I, uh, I quit the Council. After Faith poisoned Angel, the council refused to help, and it really pissed me off, so I quit.”

“And you two didn’t get along back then?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“My Watcher was fired after Quentin Travers felt he saw me as a daughter,” Buffy said with a sigh. “Wesley was brought in to take his place and train both me and Faith…we both resented each other. He tried to order me around, being a new guy to the job, but I’d been the Slayer for over three years- I wasn’t going to take orders. I kept going to Giles with problems, and Wes wasn’t too happy about it.”

“When was this?”

“My senior year of high school. Right before the Mayor’s ascension.”

“So he was there? Wes was there for that?”

“I think so…I was a little busy with blowing up the school.”

“You blew up the school?” he asked with a smirk.

“Well, it wasn’t my fault,” Buffy said indignantly. “I mean, am I to blame if there was a giant demon snake trying to eat the entire senior class? I saw a way to stop it, and I did it.” Spike saw the smile pulling at her lips. “Besides, the symbolism of the act was too much to pass up.”

Laughing together as they headed through the cemetery, Buffy put a hand on his chest as she stopped walking.

“Vamps,” she whispered. “A lot of them, up there behind the mausoleum.”

“I don’t hear anything, love,” he said, quietly.

Buffy pointed to her ear. “Vamp hearing. I can pick up on just about anything. You take the left, and I’ll go right.”

Each pulled stakes from their respective hiding places and advanced on the group. Glancing around the corner, Buffy saw seven vamps surrounding a terrified couple. Seeing Spike out of the corner of her eye, she gave a tight nod as they both moved forward. Each Slayer staked a vampire before the rest of the group noticed them. Angrily turning on them, Buffy recognized three of them from a fight she’d had a few nights ago. She had been fighting alone and barely managed to get away from them. Standing her ground as the leader of the group stepped closer to her, she repressed the cringe when he stepped into her comfort zone.

“Well, looky what we have here. If it isn’t the brave little Slayer,” he said before turning to look at Spike. “And it looks like she brought us a treat.”

Spike merely smirked, keeping a close eye on Buffy, while simultaneously readying himself for the fight.

“And I get this pretty one as my own treat,” the leader continued in what he must have thought was a seductive voice.

Buffy felt the need to gag. “Can’t you vamps ever think of anything else? I mean, I get that you probably haven’t gotten any in a while, what with all the skin problems and everything, but really, you need to work on your pick up lines.”

Not giving him a chance to think, she landed a high kick to his face before spinning and knocking one of his minions down. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Spike holding his own against the vamp that came after him. Buffy felt a flash of panic as the four that remained formed a circle around her. Whipping a stake from the back of her shirt, she threw it to land squarely in the chest of one attacker. Kicking another away from her, she saw that he quickly lost interest in her and ran over to aid his comrade who was battling Spike.

Throwing a series of kicks and punches at another vampire, Buffy quickly staked him, only to feel herself be thrown backward, landing against a tombstone with a thud as she dropped her stake. Her face contorted when she felt the pain shooting through her lower back. Opening her eyes as the leader grabbed her arms and smashed her between his overly large body and the headstone, Buffy shoved at his chest with what little strength hadn’t been lost in her fall. “No! NO!”

At her frantic cries, Spike looked up from the vamp he had staked and saw Buffy struggling with the overbearing leader. Jumping up and quickly staking the last of the group, Spike swiftly made his way over to Buffy.

“Looks like I may get some after all,” the vampire said.

Flinching at the image that popped into his head, Spike thrust the stake into the vamp’s heart. “Doesn’t look like it, mate,” he said, smiling as the dust exploded and settled around him. Letting his eyes fall to a terrified Slayer, he watched as Buffy pushed herself up and wiped the dust from her clothes. “You alright, love?”

“Fine,” she said, sounding anything but fine. “Thanks for that,” she continued, gesturing to the ashes on the ground.

“No problem, pet,” he said, looking worriedly at her. “You sure you’re okay?”

“Spike, I’m fine,” she cried, whirling around to face him, trying to hide the emotion on her face. “I just don’t like feeling like a victim is all. It’s not my nature…or yours either, so it’s a little unsettling.”

“I get that. Just seems like there’s something else that may be bothering you.”

“There’s not,” she said in a low voice.

“Alright then. What do you say we blow off some steam?”

“What did you have in mind?” she asked, relaxing a little more now that the topic was dropped.

“I was thinking we’d head to the Bronze.”

“What are we waiting for?” she said with a smile, letting her shoulders slump in relief. “Let’s get outta here.”