Chapter 7-



The next morning when Buffy awoke, she realized she was in Spike’s arms, smiled contently and fell back asleep. Two hours later, Spike had woken up. He had been dreaming about Buffy, which was very pleasant, considering he had a painful erection.



Looking down at the budge in his pants, Spike tried willing it away. He was afraid that if she woke up, she’d see it and be repulsed.



When his it didn’t fade, Spike gently moved Buffy aside, and left the cave. He paced back and forth twenty feet away from the entrance, thinking of unpleasant things. As the sun peaked through trees, Spike looked down at his hand, realized his hand wasn’t burning. After they landed on the island, he stood in the sun for the first time years, centuries even, but he thought it was just a dream. He needed to test that dream and make it into a reality and he headed towards the beach.



As Spike stood at the edge of the shade, he took one deep breath and stepped into the sunshine. He looked up and around as a big grin formed on his face. It felt so good to stand out in the sun and see what they take for granted everyday. He collapsed to the ground, enjoying his surroundings and listening to the waters lap up against the rocks nearby.



A single tear rolled down his face. “If I was alive, I’d never take this for granted. Never!”



But could Spike really live on the island with his mortal enemy he thought as he whipped the tear away, sitting in silence. After awhile, he realized he needed to get back to Buffy, but before he could get into the cave, he heard her calling out for him.



“Spike…”



“I’m right here, love.” He ran in and sat next to her. “Are you ok?” He asked, checking her over.



Buffy missed this side of him and smiled at the memories she was experiencing, but she forced the memories a side, otherwise she’d be cry. This Spike wasn’t her Spike yet, and she had to make it seem like they were still enemies, even if it did hurt.



“Other than this splitting headache…” She rubbed her temples, hoping to elevate the pressure that had been building up. “I’m fine. Don’t fuss.”



Buffy averted her gaze away and asked, “Where are we? Are we still in Sunnydale?” She looked around the cave and at the spring, remembering something that had happened, but unfortunately it was too fuzzy to remember.



“No, Toto we’re not in Kansas anymore,” He said sarcastically.



Ignoring that comment, she asked, “Did we um…” She let it linger for a moment and then asked, “What happened in the spring?”



It had been awhile since they’d been together intimately and made her a little nervous, but she still felt safe in his arms.



Speaking of arms, no shirt on…Yummmy.



She licked her lips, waiting for an answer. If only she knew, Spike was thinking about her as well.



Tilting his head to the side, he replied acerbically, “Don’t flatter yourself, slayer!”



“You’re pig,” she said bitterly, rose her feet, and headed out of the cave.



Spike sat there for a moment, shaking his head. He couldn’t believe how daft he was.



She was only asking what happened. You’re such a git.



He rose to his feet, and headed out after her. As he began sensing for her, Spike stopped, and scratched his head in contemplation.



The slayer is different, but how?? Buffy would never run away from a confrontation with me. Especially me. She’d stake my undead ass for that comment.



Thinking back to that night this all started; Spike remembered how different had Buffy acted. She looked older and a little sadder, like she lost someone very important to her. Then there was the other night in the spring, when she caressed his face. He smiled at that memory. He didn’t realize how much it he was affected by it.



Buff, I don’t know what the bleedin’ hell happened to you, but there’s something definitely something different about you. Maybe it’s the knock on her noggin that’s got her off her rocker.



Once he got a lock on her scent, he’d headed towards her.



****************

Buffy just wasn’t in the mood for his taunting. He’d known just how to push her buttons and she wasn’t really prepared to take him on, now like this. No, it was best to get away from him for awhile.



Maybe it would be better to make camp somewhere away from him.



After awhile the heat had gotten to Buffy and she left the jungle for the beach. The sky was so blue, the sun was so bright, and the water was so invitingly blue. She listened as the water lapped up against the rocks. The beaches in California weren’t nearly as beautiful as this place had been. Buffy definitely could live out her life here and more important she could live it with Spike. No more being Slayer. No more being the big sister. No more house payments. No more of that life. She could make a new one here and she could just be herself.



Buffy smiled as she walked along the beach. She decided to go swimming and quickly removed her clothing, before running for the water. It was so cool on her skin; it felt so good as she dunked her head under the water. She left all her problems behind, which was fine with Buffy. It was worth it, just to swim in this beautiful ocean. Her spidey senses kicked in as she came up from the water. Spike was near.



*********



Spike walked out onto the beach and looked up and down it, finally spotting Buffy swimming. He took a moment to watch her, to draw her into him, and then she saw him in the sun.



Oh my god, Spike, get out of the sun! He’s in the sun!



“SPIKE!” She yelled. “GET OUT OF THE SUN!”



Buffy closed her eyes. She didn’t want to see him burst into the flames. She could lose him all over again. Tears began to spill over and she opened her eyes a few moments later, he was in the water with her, hear her. She took a deep breath and whipped the tears away.



“What?? How?? How are…are you in the sun?” Buffy asked, stuttering.



Seeing her at lose of words, Spike grinned. “S’pose it’s the dimension, love. No other explanation, I can think of.”



It was Buffy turn and she smiled wide. She did the unthinkable and jumped into Spike’s arms and kissed every in of his face, finally kissing him on the lips. When they realized that there was skin on skin contact, they moved away from each other.



“It was a mistake. Forget that ever happened,” Buffy told Spike as she swam away.



Raising his scared eyebrow, Spike watched her swim away.

“You bloody well believe it was a mistake, Slayer.” He called out her.

If Buffy hadn’t swum away from him, Spike would have definitely wrapped his arms and kissed her, the kind of kiss that curled her toes. But who is he kidding?? She’d never go for a bloke like him. She was above him. She was the slayer after all. Her kind killed his kind. It just would never work.



“Bugger it.” He swum back to the shore, dressed, and went back into the jungle in search for food.



Buffy watched him walk into the jungle. She was so upset with herself. How could she do such a thing?? This Spike would never understand the way she felt. Never understand the sacrifices he’s made to save the world.


I can’t allow myself to get involved with him. I have to be honest with him about everything. We need to work together to get off this island. She thought, swimming back to shore.


TBC