Chapter 4
Buffy walked out onto the quad, scanning the crowd for a familiar face. She spotted Willow sitting next to the fountain, and headed over.

“Hey Will.” Buffy greeted, sitting down next to her.

Willow looked up.

“Hey Buffy! So, how’s your first day?”

Buffy grimaced, pulling out a pudding pack.

“It sucks so far. I’m sure you heard about the Cordelia thing.”

Willow nodded.

“Yep. It went around school so fast you wouldn’t believe.”

Tara walked up and sat down beside Buffy.

“Hey Tara.” Buffy greeted.

Tara waved and smiled.

“So I see you two met already.” Willow stated.

Buffy and Tara nodded.

“That’s great! Now, you have to meet Xander and Jesse!” Willow said, excitedly.

Just as Willow spoke, two guys walked over.

“Speak of the devil.” Willow said, grinning.

“Hey Will. What’s up?” Xander said, nodding towards Buffy.

“Xander, Jesse, this is Buffy, my cousin from LA.”

Xander and Jesse waved.

“So, I heard about you and Cordelia.” Jesse said.

Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Everyone has.” Tara said, smiling.

“So, what happened? Did you really stand up to her?” Xander asked.

“Yeah. Someone had to. She was dissing Tara for taking me to the library. Speaking of library, what’s the deal with the librarian?” Buffy asked.

Willow grinned.

“Oh, he just moved here. He’s from England. I heard he was the curator of a British museum, or the British museum. But he has all these really cool books, and-“ Willow stopped at the looks from the others, then added, “Am I the single most boring person alive?”

“Not at all.” Buffy told her.

“Well, we want to welcome you, make you feel like home…unless you have a scary home…” Jesse said, trailing off.

“So, what do you do for fun? What do you like? What do you look for in a man? Come on, let’s hear it.” Xander said, jumping up on the wall beside the fountain.

“Yeah, like, do you have any deep, dark secrets you’d like us to publish?” Jesse asked, smiling.

“Gee, everyone wants to know about me.” Buffy said sarcastically.

“Well, not much happens here in a one Starbucks town like Sunnydale. You’re big news.” Xander said.

“No, I’m not. Really.”

Buffy turned back to her pudding, trying to get the last bit out, when she realized everyone had gotten quiet. She looked up to see Spike standing in front of her, the others staring at him in shock.

“Hey all.” Spike said.

“Hey.” Buffy replied, and the others nodded and waved.

“Well, I came over to give you this.” Spike said, pulling the stake out of his pocket.

Buffy’s eyes widened, as the others looked at it curiously.

“The only thing I can figure, is that you’re going to build a really tiny fence.” Spike said, letting the stake dangle in front of him.

Buffy snatched the stake from Spike hands, laughing nervously.

“Oh, no. It’s a weapon. Everyone has one in LA. Pepper spray is so passé.” Buffy said, shoving the piece of wood into her bag.

Before anyone had the chance to respond, Cordelia walked up to stand next to Spike.

“Are they bothering you?”, she asked Spike.

“No, Cordy. I came to return something to Buffy here.” Spike told her, rolling his eyes.

“Hi Cordelia.” Jesse said, standing next to her.

“Ugh.” Cordelia scoffed, then turned to Spike.

“Did you hear?”

“Hear what?” Spike asked.

“Aura found a dead guy stuffed in her locker.”

This caught Buffy’s attention, and she looked up.

“Dead?”

“Yeah. Totally dead. Way dead.” Cordelia said, liking the attention the others were giving her.

“So, not just a little dead then?” Xander asked, smirking.

“Don’t you have an elsewhere to be?” Cordelia asked, tossing her hair.

“Look, if you need a shoulder to cry on, or maybe to nibble on…” Jesse said.

Buffy ignored the others and focused on Cordelia.

“What did the body look like?”

“Excuse me?” Cordelia asked, as everyone stared at Buffy.

“Were there any marks?”

“I don’t know! Eww. Morbid much?” Cordelia answered.

Buffy glances around, inwardly wincing at the looks everyone was giving her.

“Uh, I gotta jet. See you guys later.” Buffy said, quickly walking away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The hallway was quiet. Buffy stood in front of the locker room door. She looked around, satisfied that no one was there, and reached out, grasping the door handle, breaking it. She walked inside, and quietly shut the door behind her.

‘Please, please, please don’t let it be what I think it is.’ Buffy thought.

She stood in front of the covered body. She kneeled down, and taking a deep breath, pulled the sheet down to expose the boy’s face and neck. There were two holes on one side of the neck. Seeing this, Buffy sat back, shaking her head.

“Shit!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Outside of the locker room, a figure came out from behind a large potted plant. He watched as she had broken the locked door handle with a flick of her wrist.

When she had entered the room, closing the door behind her, he walked over, and quietly cracked the door open, allowing him enough room to see her. He saw Buffy kneeling over the covered body, and uncovering it. He heard her exclamation at seeing the cause of death.

‘So, she’s not as blind about it as we thought she was.’

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy walked into the library, the doors swinging shut behind her.

“Ok. What’s the sitch?” Buffy yelled.

Giles came out of his office, book in hand.

“Excuse me?”

Buffy tossed her things onto the table.

“You heard about the dead guy, right? Cos it’s funny. He has two little holes on the side of his neck and all of his blood’s been drained.” Buffy said, walking up to stand in front of Giles. “Isn’t that bizarre? Aren’t you just going, ‘oooh’?”

Giles nodded, taking his glasses off to clean them.

“I was afraid of this.”

Buffy threw her hands in the air.

“Well, I wasn’t. It’s my first day! I was afraid I’d be behind in all of my classes, that I’d have last month’s hair, or that I wouldn’t make any friends. But I didn’t think there’d be vampires on campus.” Buffy shouted, then added. “And you know what? I don’t care.”

“Then why are you here?” Giles asked, placing his glasses on his face.

Buffy looked at Giles, mouth opening and closing.

“To tell you that…I don’t care. And I don’t! And I have now told you. So I’m gonna go now.” Buffy said, grabbing her bag and turning to leave.

“Will he rise again?”

Buffy stopped, and turned around.

“No.”

“Are you sure?” Giles asked.

“I’m sure. For a person to become a vampire, they have to suck your blood. Then you have to suck their blood. It’s a whole big sucking thing.” Buffy told him, then grimaced. “Why am I still talking to you?”

She turned to leave again, when Giles stopped her.

“You really have no idea what’s going on, do you?”

Buffy looked at Giles.

“You think this is a coincidence? Your being here? That boy is just the beginning.” Giles told her.

“Why can’t you people just leave me alone?” Buffy asked.

“Because you are the Slayer. The one girl in all the world with the strength and skill to hunt the vampires and stop the spread of their evil-“

“Blah, blah, blah.” Buffy said, cutting off Giles. “I’ve heard it already.”

Giles shook his head.

“I really don’t understand this attitude. You-you’ve accepted your duty, you’ve slain vampires…”

“And I have both been there and done that. And I’m not doing it again.” Buffy told him.

“What do you know about this town?” Giles asked, going into his office.

Buffy roll her eyes.

“It’s two hours on the freeway from Neiman Marcus?”

Giles came back out with a stack of books.

“Look into the history of this place and you will find numerous accounts of odd occurrences. Now, I believe that this whole area is a center of mystical energy,” Giles started, setting the books down on the table, before continuing. “Things gravitate towards it that you may not find elsewhere.”

“Like vampires.” Buffy said, picking up a book, and flipping through it.

Giles nodded, coming back from the office with another stack of books, which he began to place in Buffy’s arms.

“Like zombies, werewolves, incubi, succubi, everything you’ve always dreaded was under your bed, but told yourself couldn’t be by the light of day. It’s all real.”

Buffy juggled the books in her arms, and tossed them on the table.

“Ok, first of all, I’m a vampire slayer. And secondly, I’m retired. Hey, I know! Why don’t you kill them?” Buffy asked.

Giles looked at her dumbfounded.

“No. I can’t. I’m a Watcher. A slayer slays, while a watcher…”

“Watches?” Buffy asked.

“Yes. No!” Giles answered, shaking his head. “He trains her, he prepares her…”

“Prepares me for what, exactly? For getting kicked out of school? For spending every moment fighting for my life, and not being able to tell anyone because I might endanger them? Go ahead…prepare me.” Buffy said.

Giles stood silent. Buffy shook her head, and stalked out of the library.

“Damn!”

Giles leaves to go after her. Xander comes out from behind the stacks, book in hand.

“What?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Giles caught up with Buffy in the hallway.

“It’s getting worse!”, he hissed.

Buffy stopped walking.

“What’s getting worse?”

“The influx of the undead. The supernatural occurrences, they’ve been building up for years. There’s a reason why you’re here, and the reason why is now!” Giles told her in a low voice.

“Yeah, because now is the time when my mom moved here.” Buffy replied.

Giles shook his head.

“Something’s coming. Something…is going to happen here soon.”

“Could you be any more vague?” Buffy asked.

“The signs, as far as I can tell, point to a crucial, mystical upheaval, very soon. Days. Possibly less.” Giles told her.

Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Oh, come on. This is Sunnydale. How bad an evil can there be?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Underneath Sunnydale, there is a large cave lit with candles. Vampires with tirches are gathered around. There is another vampire, kneeling in front of a large puddle of water, chanting.

“The sleeper will wake. The sleeper will wake. The sleeper will wake. The sleeper will wake, and the whole world will bleed. Amen!”