ROME



“I’m working late tonight, so Andrew will be here to get dinner, I’ll leave money on the counter in case you want pizza or something” Buffy poured herself a cup of coffee, ready to usher Dawn off to school and get to work on time.
“Is it ok if I go over to Giles’s after school to practice instead?” Dawn asked while biting into a piece of toast.
“Of course, I know he would love to have you, he’s been blabbing about you going to London sometime soon. But don’t stay to long, Home before 9 pm tomorrow” “OK, I gotta go, see you tomorrow.” Dawn kissed Buffy on the cheek, picked up her bag, and rushed out of the apartment.
Ever since Sunnydale, Dawn had taken an unusual interest in becoming mini watcher and Wicca. Willow doing the Wicca part (including the transportation spells to London), and Giles (now new head of the new state-of-the-art Watchers Counsel), doing the watcher part. Surprisingly, Dawn had taken to both crafts like a second skin, making her teenage life even that more unusual.
Buffy took a last sip of her coffee, and headed out the door herself, starting her leisurely walk to the new slayer school, were she currently was the headmistress and teacher to 20 girls.
It was a great day in dear old Rome. Sun shinning, birds chirping, and no immediate apocalypses on the horizon. Buffy started humming to herself, thinking of her class schedule for her day. She stopped short and collapsed on a near bench, sinking her head to her knees, and started taking deep breaths, realizing what she had been humming. The great break away pop hit as Anya had called it, Let me Rest in Peace. She took a few long breaths and tried to compose herself.
“Why can’t you get past this?”
Because he was the love of your life and you were just too blind to see it until he was dying.
She took a few more short breaths and lifted her head. She got up off the bench tentatively and continued her walking, this time with a little less bounce in her step.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ROME-Slayer School

The old artist loft had been renovated into a state of the art head quarters for the future slayers of the world. They had almost every invented weapon at there disposal, the best researching facilities, and better training facilities than Olympic champions. All funded by the Watchers counsel.
Buffy walked into her office and looked through her records picking out the cheery song 99 Red Balloons, by Goldfinger to wake up the Slayers today. The song blasted out threw the sound system, and Buffy started setting up the gym, the slayers first class of the day.
The room was huge, holding all kinds off equipment on the sides, but holding a cleared padded area in the middle were they did the most of the hands on training. The room itself had 3 huge arched windows facing out onto Rome. The walls were brick and held the signs of the painter that had once lived there with flecks of paint in areas, and new protections symbols for the school itself. All in all it was a place that urged the girls to train hard and still not get bored.
She heard the slayers starting to groan and new they would soon make there way to the breakfast which Andrew had come in early to make. Pancakes were today if she remembered correctly. She went back her office and picked out a few discs to play during warm ups, and set up the CD player.
“Morning Buff” Anna made her way into the gym, always the first one ready for gym. Anna came from New York, and from the records reminded Buffy a lot like Nicky Woods. Her skin the color of chocolate and bright observant eyes were ready to take in anything. She started stretching. While the other girls started to come in and do the same.
15 minutes later they were all in lines doing kick block combos while listening to Melissa Auf Der Maur.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 4




Rome: School- Lunch

“What are you going to do during History today Wood?”
“Thought me and the girls would go for a walk to the house the Italian Slayer used to live in. Or maybe I’ll make Faith take them for a run then and I’ll drive.”
“Good idea, human + running with teenage slayers = Hospital” Buffy took another bite of her sandwich and set it on her plate. Faith and Robin lived full time at the school after getting married the following month. They watched after the girls after hours and taught Slayer History and Kick Boxing in the afternoons.
“Save any for me, baby?” Faith came down the spiral staircase from the loft, kissed Robin, and then took a seat next to him, all the while stealing his sandwich.
“Sure, just steal the rest of my sandwich. I have to go anyways, new shipments of books from England.”
“God any more books from England and we’ll have to set up a library.”
“I think that’s what Giles’s is hoping for” Robin pushed in his chair, picked up his coat, gave a quick kiss on the cheek to his wife, and was out the door.
“Gotta love that guy B”
“OK, then” Buffy started clearing her own place while rolling her eyes. “Did Andrew say if there was anything new on the prophecy front?”
“No, but don’t give up hope, there might still be some excitement this year yet”
“No please, I think the PTB are finally giving us a long needed break”
“HA, there just getting ready for something big, mark my words.” Buffy threw out the rest of her food and headed out towards the kitchen and Andrew.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
L.A. - New Years

Months Later

“Bloody Hell, bullocks this” Spike walked out of the Wolfram and Hart, his duster blowing behind him in his hurry to get as far away as possible. Of course, he only made it to the city limits, realizing in time he would be only be zapped back.
“BLOODY HELL! CAN’T A GHOST AT LEAST GET A LITTLE BREAK!?” He yelled at the sky, cursing the powers and their love to fuck up his life.
His legs buckled under him and he dropped onto the middle of the road staring at the city limits sign. He remembered the Sunnydale sign, did it still exist? Did any one keep it if it did? Does Buffy…no, can’t go into that line of thought.
He dropped his head and started at his hands and was met with another vision from that day. Their hand intertwined starting to burn, while the Hellmouth became ruins around them. But they didn’t notice, couldn’t notice, they just started into each others eyes, knowing it would be the last.
Spike shook his head getting the idea out of his head. The idea that Buffy could have actually loved a monster like him.
“What are you doing now, love”