Thank you Caitie and Jessica! ;)
Uhmm.. I’m afraid you may need a tissue after this chapter.. :’-(

Chapter 21

Suddenly, last night’s conversation, the one she’d finally managed to take off her mind, came back insistently.

< ‘It mustn’t be pleasant to share him with all the other girls he has, right?’ No, it’s not true; he’s not that kind of guy. ‘You’re just a challenge to him… After all, that bastard must have his fun...’ Well, it’s true, I haven’t given myself to him yet, what if he was sick of me and was looking for someone else? After all, he has certain needs... that I haven’t satisfied yet... ‘I bet he tells you he goes out with his friends...’ No, he can’t use his friends as an alibi, William would never lie to me... Wait! He lied to me twice already, but it was about two stupid things without importance... but what if this wasn’t the only stuff he’s lied to me about? >

“Buffy, hey? It’s the fifth time I call your name! Can you tell me what you are thinking about?” William exclaimed, he had came back from his room and had tried to get her attention for a while, until he resorted to waving his hand in front of her eyes.
Buffy came back to reality, looking at him, but she decided not to talk with him about what she knew, avoiding what could become a huge argument.
“Uh! Nothing, I was just thinking about my upcoming exams...” she lied. “Let’s go out, it’ll make it better!” she added, taking her jacket.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Will, I think William has another girlfriend!” Buffy revealed to her best friend that same night, as they sat at a table in the ‘Magic Box’.
Willow almost spat out the orange juice she was drinking.
“Oh, c’mon, Buffy, that’s a big piece of bullshit! Please, don’t say it anymore, you know that William is crazy about you!” the redhead laughed, as skeptical as ever.
“No, Will, you don’t know. Yesterday just after our show, three girls talked to me. They told me they were his ex-girlfriends... and that he has tons of women … and that he’s cheating on me as much as he pleases...”
“And you believe three perfect strangers’ words! I bet they invented everything just because they’re envious!” Willow struck back.
“I told myself the same thing, in fact I didn’t give much importance to their babbling. But this afternoon I was with William at his house... well I’ll save you the details, you can figure those out...” she explained, a little bit embarrassed. “Anyway, all of the sudden he received a SMS, he read it with a pleased smile and then he went to his room, so... I’m ashamed of myself for doing this... but I checked his mobile and I read the SMS, and guess what? It’s from a certain Dawn who says that she misses him a lot, that they haven’t seen each other for ages and that she will be here next weekend so she wants him just for her to spend some time together...” she went on, getting nervous.
“C’mon, Buffy, it just seems so odd, I’m sure there must be a logical explanation...”
“It’s what I’m about to find out!”
“Are you planning something, Slayer?” Willow struck back, but she wasn’t using a very playful tone. “I’m serious, Buffy, whatever you’re planning to do, give up, it’s better, you’ll get in big trouble if William discovers you!”
“No, you won’t make me change my mind. I wanna find out what’s going on and I swear I’ll do it!” the blond stated, punching the table with her fist.

----------------------------------------------------------------
It was Friday afternoon, it was exactly 4:15 and Buffy was already patrolling, well hidden behind the sign with the trains’ schedules, on a different railway platform from the one for Los Angeles’ train.

That morning, William had told Buffy he would be busy in the afternoon and that he couldn’t cancel his prior engagement. So, pessimistic as ever, she expected him to pop out from the subway at any moment.

In fact, five minutes later, William showed up, pacing eagerly around the platform.

Buffy trembled at the thought of discovering a bitter truth, but she had to be ready to face him.
The loud speaker announced the arrival of the train, and seeing it approach William stopped in the middle of the platform, looking at every wagon until he found the person he was waiting for, making her see him, too.
With her heart in her throat and a growing sense of foreboding, Buffy saw the girl get off the train. She was extremely pretty, tall, slim and with long light brown hair. She couldn’t be sure, because she was too far away, but she seemed to be very young, too.

“William!” she exclaimed, putting down her suitcase and wrapping her arms around his neck.
“Dawn, baby, I missed you so much!” he smiled, holding her tight.

That was a little too much. Buffy decided, crossing over the railways to go to the platform where Spike and Dawn stood.
“William, how could you? So, this is the * business* you couldn’t cancel!” the blonde snapped, glaring at him and trying to show him how upset she felt.
That wasn’t the way the other girl was looking at her though, she seemed to be… amused at Buffy’s display.
“Buffy, look, this is not what you think...” he tried to justify, pulling himself off Dawn’s embrace gently.
.
“No? All I know is that you are in someone else’s arms… and for Heaven’s sake, William! Isn’t she too young for you? She doesn’t seem older than seventeen!” the blonde went on.
“Actually, I’ll be fifteen in few months.. do I really seem to be seventeen? I already like you, you know?” the brunette smiled to her.

Buffy was blind with rage, this girl was stealing her boyfriend in front of her and she even found her likeable? How could she make fun of her like this?
“So, she is the famous Buffy you talked me so much about, isn’t she, Billy?” she went on, turning towards the blond man.
Buffy was perplexed.

< What? Did he talk with her about me? Wait. Crap! What if... if she is… >

The teenager cut Buffy’s thoughts off.

“Nice to meet you, Buffy. I’m Dawn Leather... William’s little sister!” she shook her hand smiling.
“Si... sis... sister?” the blonde stuttered with a weak voice, as she wished that the earth opened up and devoured her from underneath.
“It’s what I’ve been trying to explain, you big jealous bint!” William struck back, his tone was harsh, definitely not the one he used with his typical witty remarks.
“I... I don’t know how to apologize... with both of you! I was so stupid, a complete idiot, a...”
“You know, Billy also told me you have a wild temper, so I kinda expected this reaction from you!” Dawn explained.
Although Buffy still felt like a worm, she was too curious. “Billy?” she questioned her boyfriend with her eyes.

“Well, first, that’s short for William, and second… tell me if he’s not the most perfect Billy Idol look-a-like you’ve ever seen!” Dawn pointed out with a smile.


At any other moment that remark would have make all them laugh hard... but not then.
“Anyway, don’t even try to call me that; she is the only one allowed to call me that, right, Nibblet?” he said, smiling at his sister. But his smile faded out when he looked at Buffy. “Now, if you don’t mind, I’m the one who asks the questions now, what the bloody hell are you doing here? It can’t be just a coincidence!” he interrogated her.
“William, please, forgive me, I didn’t want to… I don’t know what possessed me... it’s those three witches’ fault, since I met them...”

“What are you babbling about?” he cut her off.
“You know, after the show three girls came to me, a brunette and two blondes. The brunette told me the worst things about you, she said I shouldn’t delude myself about having a serious relationship with you, because you just wanted to have fun as you did with them, because they were your ex-girlfriends...”
“EX?! They’re not my ex-girlfriends! I’ve never been with... Wait. A brunette and two blondes, right?” he repeated thoughtful. “Sure! That’s why they weren’t there that night. Xander and the others had told me they didn’t come… Instead they were busy trying to confuse you with lies about me... and that Dru... she has always had the ability of an enchantress...” he grumbled.

“What are you talking about?” Buffy wondered puzzled as ever.
“Do you remember my former band? Well, we didn’t split very nicely. I was sure they had come to see us as a sign of peace; instead those sodding bastards stabbed me on the back with the help of those three bloody gooses they pass off as their girlfriends! Buffy, don’t believe them, I never had anything to do with them, and I’ll never will!” he reassured her.
“In fact, I didn’t believe their words, I knew it couldn’t be possible. I wanted to trust you with all my being...” she answered, but she made the huge mistake of talking about a subject she shouldn’t have ever even hinted. “But when I read the SMS on your mobile...”
“YOU WHAT?!” William roared, grabbing her arm. “How could you do that, Buffy? I told you I was busy, why did you have to check it out? I had promised to my sister that we could spend some time together, because we haven’t seen each other for more than six months...” he went on, talking to her coldly and tightening his grip on her arm.

“Forgive me, you are so right, but it was stronger than me. I was wrong. I shouldn’t have ever done it.. sorry.” she said with tearful eyes.
He was hurting her, not due to his grip on her arm, but due to the coldness and the scorn he was looking at her with.
Dawn interfered, pulling him away from Buffy.
“Calm down, William, it’s just a misunderstanding..” she tried to defuse.
“No, Dawn, it’s not that simple, it’s bloody more than a misunderstanding..” he said, caressing her hair tenderly, and then he turned to Buffy again. “.. it’s a matter of trust, trust that you hadn’t in me, Buffy. I thought you were different, that you were stronger; instead at the first bloody stupid thing that happened.. you showed me who you still are: a childish little girl so unsure that she loses herself into paranoia. And with this ground.. I’m not sure I want to create something serious with you..”

Every word of his for Buffy was a stab though her heart, until he said those three faithful words that took away all her hope.
“It’s over!”

But those three words hurt even the boy who had made a huge effort to hide a tear and a sob in his voice.

TBC

I know that now it’s a tragedy :’( , but all I can say is TRUST ME, I won’t let you down! ;)