Thank you, and sorry for late, well, this is kinda long and fun as chapter, hope you’ll like it!

Chapter 3
(There’s a little tribute to BTVS, and one to… just read to find out!)

“Finally! It’s Saturday!” Buffy exclaimed as she jumped on her car, ready for that important meeting.
The agitation was so much that she couldn’t manage to put the gear correctly.
“No, this is not good!” she told herself out loud, as she parked.
It wasn’t the fist time she drove, of course; but she knew very well what was the reason of her distraction.
And that reason was waiting for her in front of her former driving school, and had walked towards her as soon as he had seen her from afar, as he finished smoking a cigarette.
“Hey there!” she greeted him, smiling.
“Hey there!” he answered with a smirk, stepping over the cigarette.
There was a deep silent, and Buffy didn’t like it at all, so she decided to break it, resorting to her sense of humour once again.
“So, have you written your will in time before getting in the car with me?” she asked sarcastically, as she showed him the way to her car, not very far.
“Sure, and I also paid my last respects to my family and friends!” he laughed, jumping in.
“Fine, let’s go!” she exclaimed determined, gradually releasing the friction and stepping on the gas.

She wasn’t agitated anymore, she felt at her ease with him.
She hadn’t had trouble with junctions, and even the traffic lights had been kind to her: she had always found green light.
After seeing him chat with his friends, Buffy was sure that William was a quite talkative guy, and she wasn’t wrong.
During the trip, they had talked a lot, mostly he had asked her a lot of questions about the band.
“So, tell me, how was it born?”
“Simply, for fun, and due to a little bet ..”
He questioned her with his eyes, so she explained better.
“The day of my exam for driving licence I was so nervous that I had promised Willow that if I passed it, just for the joy of it I would write a song about how much hard and stressful it is to drive! So, I passed the test, and I wrote the song, and surprisingly something nice came out.. maybe we’ll make you hear it, it’s our warhorse!” she smiled.
“A song about driving , it’s very original, can’t wait to hear it!”
“After that, inspiration hit me and I wrote other songs, about everything, and ten Willow also began writing. But I’m the one who arranges all the songs..”
“Bloody Hell, you’re great! You must be playing for ages..”
Buffy burst out laughing, she was amused by his colourful intercalary; she had already heard him talking like that, but that was the first time.. without eavesdropping!

“I bet you’ve been playing drums for longer than I’ve been playing guitar , it’s just been one year, for me, more or less, without ever taking a single lesson, I just read tons of handbooks, downloaded tabs from the web, listened to piles of CD, trying to imitate my favourite artists, and step by step I made some progress! That’s my secret, William!”
He smiled to her.
“You know, if you want you can call me Spike!” he said.
“What?!”
“All my friends call me that..”
“Spike, you said. Uhmm.. what’s the connection?” she asked curious, without taking her eyes off the road.
“Well, pet. I also don’t know exactly why.. Uhmm, maybe for my little tendency of killing people, torturing them with railroad spikes..” he commented, with a deep dark voice.
Buffy shivered, not due to his answer, of course, but to the way he had called her again.
William burst out laughing.
“No, seriously, it’s just due to the way I arrange my hair, you know, spiked.. “
Buffy could have filled him with compliments about his hair and its against nature color, but she just smiled at him.
“Well, Spike, if this is confidence-time, my friends often call me Slayer.. wanna know why? I gained this nickname back in high school days; my former Principal Snyder has tons of stories to tell, let’s just say that due to my rebel behaviour and my tendency of ditching school, especially History lessons, I was almost going to be kicked out! And I lost count of all the times he called me to his office, keeping saying endlessly ‘Miss Summers, you are just the slayer of all the rules and the peace of this school!’ “ she explained, trying to imitate the man’s tone.
“And since that day my friends called me that, especially when I’m up to one of my tricks!” she concluded, turning at the junction.
“Slayer, eh? I like it!” he commented with a smirk.
In the meantime, Buffy had trouble deciding if he turned her on the most when he called her ‘pet’ or the new entry ‘Slayer’, and finally she chose, she liked them both the same!

There was a deep silence between them, and they both didn’t like it.
This time it was William breaking it.
“A song about a driving licence.. I’m still thinking about it.. it’s the first time I’ve heard about a song like that, it’s odd!”
“You know, maybe it’s because my driving licence was a kind of obsession for me, failing the practice exam the first time..”
“What does it mean FAILING? Bloody Hell! And you tell me now!” he startled concerned, as she was parking, finding the road free.
“Don’t think I failed because I passed with red light or I didn’t respect the right of way. I just did a little mistake while parking. Have you ever heard about someone dying because she hit the sidewalk with a tire, or even worse, she had forgotten to right the tires?” she joked, as they both undid the safety-belts and got out.
“C’mon, at the end I wasn’t that bad. I’m not a danger on four wheels, am I?”
“Well, let’s say that you’re still alive and whole, I’m still alive and whole..” he mocked her, laughing.
“You are so impossible!” she laughed, punching his shoulder playfully.

Buffy had told him an innocent lie: the song about the driving licence wasn’t the first song she had written; but she would never dare to tell him that the very first one was about him, nonetheless!

“Hey, what are you doing outside? Come in!” Willow invited them, seeing them arrive from her window.
The two obeyed and Buffy who knew that house very well, showed William the way to the living room.
Once they were there, Buffy took her guitar, connecting it to the amplifier that William had gently offered to bring for her.
As she verified that all the strings were tuned correctly, Willow cleared her throat , as William, seated comfortably on the sofa, observed patiently their preparation.
The girls were ready.
Buff started the intro of the first song, but she was immediately interrupted by a very enthused William.
“Hey, but that’s ‘ Liar’, by Ghost of the Robot! That’s wonderful!”
“Wow, so you know the GOTR?” Buffy asked surprised.
“If I know them? They’re one of my fave bands, I know al their songs… but I’d better shut up and let you go on..” he said, sitting again.
The girls resumed playing, and they did a very good performance, as the ones after that, alterning the covers with their own songs. And that made a good impression to him, especially the one about driving licence.
In fact, he filled them with compliments, after their show, as he sipped one of the drinks Willow had put on the table.


“I’ve the feeling I’ll bloody enjoy playing with you, you have such a cool sound!”
“Thank you! So, do you accept?” Willow asked, trying to hide the excitement for finding a drummer, finally.
“Hell yeah, I do! Can’t wait to hear your songs when I arrange the drums. It will take a while, but I’m sure we’ll do a great job!” he assured them.
“About the covers, it will be easier, I already know what to do!”
“Ok, we’ll see. Well, for now I guess that’s all. When do you wanna meet us again?” Willow wondered, as Buffy had left to bring her stuff inside the car.
“Next weekend, I’m free, and before you ask, I tell you, you two are welcome to my house, I’ll give you the address!”
“Fine. In the meantime, if you wanna listen to our songs, here’s a cassette with our recording. Plus, I’ll give you all the lyrics in this folder, ok?” Willow suggested, giving him those things.

“Ok, I’m ready, we can go. Thanks for everything, Will!” Buffy exclaimed, coming back to catch her passenger without noticing what he held in his hands.
They got in the car.
They talked during the ride through about the performance.
“I really have to thank you, you know?” she exclaimed, all of the sudden.
“Uh! For what?” he asked astonished.
“Well, because you are the first person that has managed to recognize a song played by me by the intro.. Willow generally doesn’t recognize it, not even if I sing while I’m playing it!” she laughed.
“I can recognize someone who has talent !” he confessed smiling.

“Hey, I was thinking … what if I drive you home? So, you can explain me the way to arrive there?” she changed subject.
“Why are you so interested? Confess, you want to know where I live, so you can come in the middle of the night under my window to serenade me!” he struck back, without loosing the umpteenth chance to mock her.
But finally he agreed with her.
“You, silly!” she laughed.
“I just thought that the better way to learn the road is to drive you there personally, because if you began explaining me the route by the phone I would end up lost, I’ve got a terrible sense of direction!” she justified, as she followed all his indications, and finally she arrived to his house.
“See? I live here. It’s not that difficult, is it?”
“Hell no. You just had to tell me it was near the graveyard, even if.. Gee, isn’t it a little bit gloomy as place?” she commented.
“Yeah, I admit it. It’s kinda unusual. Wassup? Are you scared?” he teased her.
“Hell no! it was just a statement!” she justified.

< You are kidding? I wouldn’t complain even if you lived in a crypt!> she thought smiling.

“So, you won’t have trouble the next time?”
“You could find out tonight… I learned the route, I have the guitar… after all you put this idea of the serenade in my head, it’s your fault!” she joked.
“Then, I’ll take the risk and prepare a bucket of icy water, I warned you, ah, ah! Bye, Slayer, see ya next Saturday, and thank you for everything!” he greeted her, approaching to kiss her cheek before getting off the car.
“ Bye…Spike!” she struck back in a whisper, setting the car in motion.
She took the wrong road three times before arriving home, but she didn’t seem to care.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That evening, after recovering from her little shock, Buffy decided to dial that more than familiar number.
“Hey, Will, wassup?”
“Well, William is a good crowd! Now we are the one that gotta see him in action!”
“Yeah, but something tells me that he will be very good!”
“Sure, seeing how impartial your opinion is..” Willow commented sarcastically.
The phone prevented her from seeing how much Buffy had blushed after that witty remark.
“Well, try to understand! Anyway, we could give him our cassette, so he could train a little bit!”
“What if I tell you that I already thought ‘bout it? Plus, I also gave him the folder with all the lyrics?” Willow informed her.
“You’re great! Hey, wait, no, .. what do you mean with ‘all the lyrics’ ? All, just all of them?” Buffy asked, panic-stricken.
“Well, yes, C’mon. He will learn all the songs, and then he’ll give them back to us, don’t make a fuss!” her friend tried to calm her down without understanding the reason of such agitation.

“That’s not the point! Can’t you see? You gave him all the lyrics! The cassette doesn’t have all the songs, but in the folder he’ll also find ‘Shadow’, do you realize it?”
“Damn, I didn’t know, Buffy! I didn’t check before, sorry! Anyway, be calm, maybe he won’t understand you wrote it for him!”
“Oh no, sure. Just because it talks about the train he caught, and me catching it with him, spying every single move of his, without him noticing me, nooo why should he ever think it’s about him?” she commented, between ironic and desperate.
“Right, I’m sorry, forgive me!” Willow apologized, feeling guilty somehow.
“It’s not your fault, just mine. I was the one putting that sheet in the folder, when you insisted so many times for me to separate the completed songs from the works in progress! Maybe, he hasn’t read it yet. You know what? I’ll dash by his house, get in furtively and take the sheet off the folder!” Buffy exclaimed, not very convinced.
“I think it’s too late, now. Eh, eh, it seems that the Slayer strikes again! Maybe it was fate that he read it! You’ll see how he behaves on Saturday, maybe he didn’t even read it, due to the fact that it wasn’t on the list of the songs to play. Anyway, pretend to ignore everything!” Willow advised her.
Finally, Buffy resigned herself.
“Maybe you’re right, Will. We’ll see!”

TBC