Thank you so much, I swear I’ll update the other story , too, as soon as I can. :)

Chapter 4

“What? Tell me I misunderstood!” Buffy exclaimed at her mobile, as she headed towards her car.
“I’m sorry, but you heard correctly; don’t come to get me because I can’t meet you now. I’ll arrive about half an hour later..”
“And you would leave me alone with him for half an hour?! Will, what kind of friend are you?”
“A friend that has a very urgent mishap, that I can’t really do nothing about! You’ve already explained the road to me, I’ll just arrive a bit later, no problem! In the meantime, try to agree with him about the drums and guitar, even if I’m the one taking the final decision!” Willow chuckled.
“Ok, so.. I’ll get going. * Sigh.* Alone! Well, you’ll have me on your conscience for at least thirty minutes, happy?”
“Ok, see ya later!”
“Try to arrive as soon as you can!” Buffy begged her one last time, ending their conversation.

She had already parked in his street.
She had taken her stuff out of the car and stood in front of the gate, unsure if to ring the bell or not.
When she read the nameplate she was about to laugh.

< William Leather, so that’s his surname! Leather.. he, he, it reminds me of the beautiful leather coat he wore all the Winter through.. Gee, it fitted him to a T, it made him look so…. No, stop this dangerous thoughts, or I’ll end up jumping him! Maybe, I’d better go.. I’ll send him a SMS telling that Will and I arrive later, and now I’ll fly away..> Buffy thought, and she was about to go, when…

“Hi, pet, you’re on time, as always!” William greeted her.
Ironically, he wasn’t at home, but he was coming back from the end of the street, and he had probably seen her dilemma in front of his bell.
“Hi, William! It’s not my fault, but Willow will meet us later.. she told me at the lat minute, otherwise I would have come later, too. Anyway, if you want, I’ll really come back later..” she tried to justify, panic-stricken.
“Do you really believe I’m scared of letting you in my home just because we are alone? Come in, you’re welcome!” he invited her, opening the gate and showing her the way.
“Plus, there’s something I gotta ask you..” he added, mysteriously.

< Why am I afraid I already know what the question is?> she thought, as she got in his house for the first time.

It was very pretty, large and comfy.
There was a door half closed that showed a part of his drums, that must be his playing room.
“You know, I read all your lyrics…” William informed her, as he looked for the folder.

< Ouch! Here we go! That’s what I dreaded!> Buffy thought, trying not to show the huge anxiety that was devouring her.

“Really?” was all she managed to say.
“Yeah. And there’s a song that intrigue me a lot, ‘Shadow’. I was wondering.. did you write it?”
“Of.. of course n. not!” she stuttered.
“Will wrote it. That girl has such an imagination, eh?” she went on, playing with her hair.
“Uhmm. I don’t know why but I don’t believe you much, pet!”
“I don’t know why, but I already know you wouldn’t believe me! So, I guess it’s useless to tell you that every reference to places, people or facts is purely casual..” she struck back, showing him the most innocent of the smiles.
“ You guess right!” he smirked.
“Ok, ok, I confess, what can I say? You inspired me so much that I wrote a song about you, it was stronger than me, and if you really wanna know I’m as scared as you!” she explained.
“I’m not scared at all, just flattered!” he confessed, passing a hand through his bleached hair, pretending to brag.
“Flattered?!” she repeated incredulously.
“Exactly. No one had ever done such a thing for me before, you know? It’s very original, and impressing! It’s a pity that the song is not recorded on the cassette.. hey, since you’re here and we have a bunch of time.. why don’t you play it for me, live? I’m sure you’re the soloist!” William suggested her with a deep voice.
“Here? Now? Well, you know, now I only have the electric guitar and this song is better with the acoustic one.. “ she explained, wishing that he didn’t figure out that was just a pathetic excuse.
“I got you!” he exclaimed, departing and coming back with an acoustic guitar that looked almost new.
“You can use this one. And don’t even try to say it’s not tuned, because it’s tuned correctly, you have no more excuses, Slayer!” he said, giving her the guitar.

< You said it, I’m gonna slay my reputation! Well, I just have to give in..> she told herself, feeling like a prey in a trap.

“Ok, ok, I’ll play it. It’s just that I didn’t know you also play the guitar!” she admitted, studying the object meticulously.
“In fact, I don’t . It’s just an useless gift from my friends, it’s not that I don’t wanna learn how to play it..” he admitted, smiling to her.
“Well, Spike, I can help you if you trust me, and maybe you could teach to me how to play the drums… I loved them, you know? Although I’ve never tried to play them..”
“Deal! But now, play, c’mon, I’m curios, that’s my song somehow.. I have all the bloody rights to hear it!” he tried to persuade her once again.
Without a word, Buffy took the guitar and started the sweet riff that was the intro.
During all the performance, they had been looking at each other, although the major part of time Buffy had lowered her gaze, but only to make sure to pick up the right chords; she couldn’t allow herself to do such an important performance wrong!

“Wow!” William exclaimed at the end.
“Did you like it?” she asked, eager to know the answer, but the guy’s smile seemed to have already answered to her.
“I bloody like it! It’s beautiful, and I have still trouble believing that you wrote it just thinking of me..” he confessed, sitting next to her.
There was a question he was dying to ask since the day she had rushed (that’s the right word!) into his life; but the sudden ringing of the bell didn’t allow him to satisfy his curiosity.

“Who can it be?” he wondered out loud, going to open the door, almost resigned.
“Hey, there! I’m here, too!” Willow greeted him from the gate.
Hearing her friend’s voice, Buffy had come close to the door.
“Hey, I thought you’d arrive later!”
“Me, too, but at the last minute I managed to hitch a ride! It’s better this way, isn’t it?”
“Yeah,, it’s better this way..” Buffy repeated in a whisper, sighing.
She couldn’t blame Willow, after all she had insisted a lot to persuade her to arrive as soon as possible.
“C’mon, William, it’s your moment! Let’s see what you can do!” Buffy incited him, once they reached his playing room, as he sat at the drums.
After few seconds of concentration he started the most energetic intro, involving all the parts of the drums with a hectic rhythm.
The girls were astonished and they couldn’t manage to stop clapping their hands.
“Thank you, thank you! And that was only the preview, are you ready now? Let’s start!” he incited them, rolling the drumstick between his fingers.
He wanted to show off the better he could.

The few songs they played together left them stunned: there was a perfect harmony among them, and there had been just a few of corrections that impeded them to reach the pure perfection, but at least they came very close to it.
“Now that I know better what your rhythms are, I’ll work on that, and next time we’ll do it even better!” he assured them, walking them to the door.
“I have no doubt about it! You’re great!” Willow said with huge enthusiasm.
“You, too! By now we’re a team, sweethearts!” he exclaimed, hugging both of them, and that brought Buffy’s heart close to heart-attack!
“Can’t wait to find a bassist, too! It will happen, soon or later! For now, let’s keep playing here, after all I live alone, so it’s not a problem for me!” he informed them.
“Can’t wait for next weekend!” Buffy admitted, as she headed towards her car with her friend.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Did you really play that song for him? I can’t believe it!” Willow exclaimed after Buffy’s tale.
“Gee! If I had known before, I would have stayed outside for another half an hour.. maybe I interrupted something..” she teased her.
“Maybe.. who knows? Wait, no.. no, I don’t think so! He liked it, he was flattered, but there’s nothing more. After all, now we are only friends, aren’t we? And that’s enough for me..”
“C’mon, shut up! Who are you kidding? Every time you look at him your eyes turn into two hearts!” Willow mocked her, trying to imitate her in an excessive way.
“You really know me, I can’t hide anything from you, eh?”
“Truth is that you didn’t even tried to hide it! Buffy, you have such a huge crush for him that you’ve reached the point no return !” her friend stated, before getting off, once they had arrived to her home.
“Do you think I’m hopeless, Will?” she asked, unsure.
“Quite the contrary; I’m sure you have good chances with him, I’ve got this feeling, you know?” he friend assured her, greeting her.

TBC