Chapter 2

Spike tensed as he watched from his perch saw the man in the suit approached Buffy at the table where she sat with her friends. He saw Jack bend down and say something in the Slayer's ear that made her smile. After turning to the rest of the table for a moment, Buffy stood up and let the well dressed stranger lead her to the dance floor. Spike clenched his teeth as he watched the couple glide gracefully across the dance floor.

He looks too old for her, Spike tried to reassure himself. Glumly he remembered that despite his youthful appearance he had 100 years on both Buffy and her partner. It was bad enough watching her with that clod Captain Cardboard, but he knew that Riley's days were numbered. As they were dancing, the man was smiling and Buffy seemed at ease with him. The man looked up at Spike and winked. Spike shook his head, he must have imagined it. Why would a stranger taunt him? Did he have a bleeding death wish? Spike leaned back thoughtfully and capped the bottle of alcohol that was in his hands maybe he needed to get some air. Tucking the bottle under his coat he stood up slightly shakily and walked downstairs and towards the exit.

Jack kissed Buffy's hand gallantly and strode over to the bar where he'd left his bag of tools in care of the bartender. Quickly and silently he strode out of the Bronze to follow after Spike. With the more stealth than the shadows themselves, Jack tailed the blonde vampire through the night. Silently he followed him into the residential part of the small town and watched the peroxide head shimmy up a tree outside of a house and climb through the window. Although he wasn't dressed for tree climbing, Jack decided to get a better look...

Spike sat his bottle down on Buffy's dresser and had a quick look around. On the floor was Buffy's light blue cashmere sweater she'd worn yesterday, tossed carelessly aside. Spike bent down and picked it up and inhaled the vanilla scent that clung to it.

"Buffy-" Spike sighed almost as if praying, unaware of his audience.

Folding the sweater and starting a pile of treasures on the bed, Spike moved to the nightstand. Tears threatened to spill as he caught site of his skull ring in an open jewelry box from their brief engagement, but he blinked them back. It was getting to be the time that Buffy would be getting home and Spike knew he'd better get a move on before she could catch him there. Casting a glance around the room, he quickly added two satin thongs from the Slayer's dirty clothing pile to the sweater and a pair of handwraps she had worn while training earlier in the week. Not a bad haul, he'd have to come back in a couple days and see what else he could scavenge.

As Spike picked up his bottle and stolen mementos, Jack made his way down the tree and back into the shadows. Spike climbed down and lit a cigarette below the tree as he began his vigil. He watched for Buffy's return and hoped that she wouldn't bring Whitebread home with her. As his cigarette smoke snaked upwards to the crisp fall sky, Spike remained unaware of the smoker who lit up in the shadows behind him. Both men stood in silence waiting not moving as Buffy and Riley approached the house.

"Oh come on Riley," Buffy sighed walking towards her front door.

"Ok, maybe I'm being Mr. Overprotective, but I don't like seeing my girl dance with strange men," Riley said following behind her.

"Look!," Buffy exclaimed in exasperation as she turned around to face her boyfriend. "In Sunnydale men in suits usually means vampires or something else hellmouthy. I put a dash of holy water on my hand under the table so I could see if he would go all grrrr."

"Well you seemed to be having a lot of fun with him," Riley pushed.

Yeah I did, Buffy thought snidely. At least he didn't stomp all over my feet like you do. But Riley had said how insecure he felt over the whole superhero bit, so she forced the feeling back and smiled at her boyfriend.

"Sweetie, I'm still touchable," Buffy reassured him and pressed her lips to his.

"Mmm, very touchable indeed," Riley moaned softly. "Does this mean I get to come in tonight?"

Buffy hesitated and then replied, "Sure, mom's asleep, let's sneak up to my room."

Buffy unlocked the door and pulled Riley in with her. A soft growl escaped from Spike and his face shifted briefly. Opening his bottle of whiskey, Spike took a drink and threw his cigarette to the ground in irritation. The light came on in Buffy's room briefly and then went off. From above there were soft human moans, undetectable to anyone in the town except for the pair that stood below. Spike drained the bottle's contents and threw it into the neighbors lawn. He clenched his fists until he drew blood as he heard Cardboard grunt lustily, indicating his five minute record remained standing.

"Doesn't make her scream," he muttered to himself. "Bet I could make her scream the bloody house down if she gave me half a chance."

Fumbling in his coat pocket, Spike withdrew his package of cigarettes and cursed when he discovered the pack was empty.

"Fuck," he muttered under his breath.

"Allow me," Jack said softly stepping out of the shadow extending his package of cigarettes...