A/N Jack's speech may seem odd because he seldom uses contractions, it is deliberate.

Chapter 3

"Who the bleeding hell are you and wot are you doing outside my Slayer's window?" Spike demanded angrily. Chip or no chip, he would never let anyone hurt his girl.

"I'm a friend who is waiting for you to bring your trophies and get a drink with me," he replied pointing at Spike's plunder from Buffy's room.

"Look Mate, I don't like other men hanging around my girl's house," the vampire growled softly.

"Like them in her bed even less, I wager," Jack mocked.

Spike tensed ready to strike then eased back and shrugged, "Don't matter much does it? Not like I can do anything about it, can I?"

"Can you not?" Jack smiled.

"Believe me if I didn't have this damn bit of government plastic in my head, I would have-" Spike trailed off, realizing he was being awfully frank with a total stranger.

"Eliminated the competition," the man finished Spike's sentence.

"Well, yeah. You know Sunnyhell isn't exactly safe this time of night. Maybe you should be on your way suit boy."

The man gave Spike a smile with perfect even white teeth and looked him in the eye. Despite his chip, Spike knew he had an advantage. Scare the ponce and he'll run scared, he thought. Spike shifted into game face expecting the man to run in fear. Instead of running, the man remained, indeed his bemused expression remained frozen. Spike studied the man silently for a moment and subtly sniffed in case he was a demon and alcohol had merely impaired his judgment. The man smelled of tobacco, roses, and? Human blood?!? Sodding demons, he thought and swung at the stranger.

Jack fell backwards from the impact to his jaw and Spike fell back from the impact of the chip. Both men sat up and looked at each other. The vampire's face shifting back to normal as he considered the man in front of him.

"Not bad," Jack laughed and jumped to his feet and extended his hand to Spike.

"Name's Spike," he replied taking the stranger's hand shaking it and then standing up.

"Spike," Jack tried the name on his tongue as if considering it. "Nickname?"

"Yeah earned it torturing your kind with railroad spikes," Spike answered proudly.

"Never tried that, keep that one in mind," Jack whispered softly to himself.

"Wot was that?"

"Not important right now. So Spike shall we get that drink?"

"Why not," Spike shrugged and walked beside the stranger. "What's your name?"

"What is in a name?" he piqued and then answered the slightly annoyed vampire. "I'm just a Jack of All Trades."

"Well Jack where are we headed to, I have only a couple hours till sunrise."

"In that case, we will stop and pick something up on the way to your place, as you've destroyed my clothing," Jack replied, slipping his jacket off and looking ruefully at the grass stains.

"My place, you aren't a bloody poof are you. Cuz sorry about it, but I don't go in for that sort of thing."

Jack laughed, opened his wallet and held it for Spike to see, "That is my Samantha."

"Pretty. Reminds me of Buffy," Spike relaxed slightly seeing the elegant blonde woman's picture.

"Buffy? What in hell sort of name is that?"

"Hey it's a perfectly- ah hell, it is a stupid name. But-"

"It is her name and therefore perfect?" Jack supplied.

"Yeah," Spike nodded.

"That is the same way I feel about my Samantha. Why don't you tell me all about you and your Buffy?" Jack prompted as the pair walked into the night...