Chapter 5

"Suppose it's true, suppose I do want to dance. It would never be you Spike. You're beneath me." Buffy sneered at Spike and threw money at him then stormed from the alley on the computer screen.

Amid dozens of flickering candles and piles of roses in every state from fresh to dried, Jack watched from his computer chair intently. Before leaving Sunnydale he had placed small cameras at a variety of strategic locations so he could analyze Spike's obsession and how to turn it to their mutual advantage. Whereas most mortals would have been shocked by the discovery of the supernatural, Jack had been only mildly intrigued by the revelation. He had to admire his friend's taste in women. Buffy would never be his Samantha, but then no woman could be. But the Slayer as she was called had amazing instincts for killing and would be a pleasure to have around.

Jack snuffed out one cigarette and lit another, then began to type on his keyboard. The camera feed from the alley behind the Bronze disappeared and the one from Samantha's bedroom appeared. She had fallen asleep reading a file on Jack, causing him to smile. His Samantha, so beautiful, always thinking of him. Sam moaned slightly and moved in her sleep. Dreaming of me, Jack mused as she murmured his name in her sleep. He could watch her all night, but he needed to check how things were in Sunnyhell as his friend called it.

Jack began to cycle through his Sunnydale feeds. Spike's crypt, the cemetery, Buffy's bedroom, Buffy's living room, Buffy's front yard, Buffy's backyard- Shit! Jack thought as he finally found his friend, striding purposefully into the yard, shotgun in hand.

Jack stood up and shouted loudly, "God damn it!" Then he picked up a vase of roses and threw them across the room. If Spike's temper screwed this up- Jack paused and settled back in his chair as the scene on the screen changed.

"What's wrong?" Spike asked concerned by the tears dancing in Buffy's green eyes.

"I don't want to talk about it," she answered softly.

"Is there anything I can do?"

Getting no answer, Spike felt helpless, but he couldn't leave his girl in so much pain. He sat down beside her and gingerly patted her shoulder. For several moments they just sat that way. Then Buffy slowly turned to Spike and began to sob in earnest. Spike threw caution to the wind and wrapped his arms around her and drew her onto his lap. He was slightly surprised that she didn't hit him or pull back. Despite his distress at her tears, he relished the warmth of her body next to his.

Jack reluctantly switched feeds on his computer. He would have to know what was going on, but he felt he was intruding on a private moment. They could have a few minutes privacy, perhaps he could get an idea of what was wrong from one of the house's other occupants. Flipping through he found Buffy's mother packing a suitcase and pausing to read a piece of paper. Typing rapidly, Jack made the camera zoom to the paper so he could see what had her so intrigued at this hour of the evening. It was an order for a cat scan and a variety of tests ordered by a Dr. Issacs.

Jack turned off the live feed and began to hack into the Sunnydale General Hospital's records. It didn't take him long to force his way in and bring up Joyce's medical records and the blood test results which prompted the CAT scan order. Looking at the red and white cell count Jack decided he had better take a trip to Sunnydale. The hospital would go through all sorts of rigmarole, but Jack could tell it was cancer. Cancer meant a lot of time at the hospital and so he'd better get some cameras placed there as well.

It was getting to be time for Jack to start making a move on Sunnydale anyway. He just needed to get a social inroad and find a target. He began to pack for an extended trip. Throwing a large suitcase on the bed, Jack threw in a laptop computer, then he tossed in a surgical kit, a ziplock filled with exacto knives, and tossed in stacks of money. Two more cases joined the first, all were filled rapidly with a variety of clothing, leather pants, several sheriff's uniforms, roses, rose petals, incense, photo after photo of his Samantha, and countless odd items that made sense to Jack and Jack alone.

Grabbing the cases, Jack walked out of his house and loaded them into his sheriff's car that stood outside the warehouse where his current lair was. Just a quick stop inside the Otis Diner and then the Bowling Alley to make certain there were enough drugs in the food and drink to keep everyone under his control and Jack would be on the road. He placed a framed photo of Samantha against the console of the patrol car, placed a rose underneath it and lit a cigarette, leaning over to the passenger side, he opened a large bag of cheetos. Pulling his cigarette out long enough to grab a cheeto with one gloved hand, Jack juggled his smoke and opened a bottle of southern comfort. Taking a swig before replacing his cigarette, Jack revved the patrol car's engine. Time to motor.