Chapter 9

Buffy woke up late the next morning. Groggy and tired, she looked around the living room. Her collection of crosses and holy water littered the whole living room. Still clutched in her hand was her favorite stake, ‘Mr. Pointy’. The wood bit into her clenched hand, her calluses healed long ago from lack of use. Tears ran down her face once more, as she remembered last night. Embarrassment reigned. What kind of slayer makes out with a vampire and doesn’t even know it? The Fates must be laughing down at her. She allowed him into her home…into her heart! She should have known, the signs were there, even the first night. Beer bad, Buffy. If it wasn’t for the alcohol, if it wasn’t for the shock of seeing him again, she would have known. Cursing herself, Buffy got up from the couch, John must have stayed over Eric’s last night. She yawned and stretched, the sun shining brightly through the window, knowing she was safe for the moment. Glancing at the clock, she decided to make a call. The call that would throw William out of her life. She quickly dialed the number and waited. And waited. No answer. Dialing another number, Buffy waited.

“Hello, Magic Box. How may I help you spend your money?” A cheerful voice said.

“Hi, Anya? Is Willow there?” Buffy wasn’t sure if Willow would be there, but she hoped she was.

“This is a business phone. Willow cannot take personal calls on a business phone,” Buffy heard a gasp and yell in the background, probably Willow, “It’s for paying customers only.” Anya hung up the phone quickly.

Dialing back, Buffy waited. “Hello, Magic Box. How may I help you spend your money?”

Rolling her eyes, Buffy gritted her teeth, “May I speak to Rupert Giles.” A few clicks later she heard her surrogate father on the line.

“Rupert Giles, may I help you?” Buffy smiled at the deep voice on the other end. It’s been so long since she’s talked to him, let alone seen him.

“Giles.” Buffy heard the quick intake of breath on the other line. She imagined the whole Scooby group hanging out in the tiny magic shop.

“Buffy? It’s been so long.” Buffy heard Willow in the background yelling at Anya for hanging up the phone, until Giles said Buffy’s name.

“It’s Buffy? You hung up on Buffy?” Buffy chuckled as she heard Willow screech at Anya. Muffled voices that she identified as Xander and Anya arguing went on in the background.

“How’s school, dear girl?” Buffy could hear the frustration aimed at the young adults in the background.

“Good, Giles, but that’s not why I am calling. I need help.” Buffy bit her bottom lip, worrying it between her teeth.

A moment of silence overtook the Magic Box, as the three arguing people looked expectantly at Giles whose face paled. “What kind of help, Buffy?”

“Slayer help,” Buffy rummaged around the kitchen, looking for a pad of paper. “First, I need a spell. The de-invite spell.” Buffy imagined Giles cleaning his glasses as he listened. She could hear the gears turning in his head. “I need it pronto. And, I need some information about three vampires.” Buffy could kick herself, getting involved with another vampire. After the fiasco with Angel, him going evil, and trying to kill her friends, Buffy had sworn off men. Sworn off them until she was faced with William again.

“Well, the de-invite… Willow, do you remember the de-invite spell?” Buffy heard muffled noises coming from the phone, as the phone passed from person to person. Buffy quickly jotted down the ingredients she would need and the incantation. She wished she could talk to her friend longer, but time was of the essence. What if William planned on killing her tonight, what if that was his plan? Spike and Drusilla, they looked dangerous, too. Buffy doubted that either would give a second thought to killing her or any of her friends. She just couldn’t chance it, she had to have the spell done.

Giles returned to the phone and Buffy gave him William, Spike, and Drusilla’s names, hoping he would find pertinent information. Glancing at the clock, Buffy said her goodbyes and started to head to the closest magic shop for her ingredients. She had to banish William from her apartment, tonight, before he could hurt John or one of her friends.

By four o’clock, Buffy had gotten all the ingredients and performed the incantation. She called all her friends that William met, warning them to stay away from him and to stay in after dark. Most of her close friends knew she had special powers and was entrusted with fighting evil. Sitting down on the couch, she waited for John. John knew Buffy’s whole story…her calling, and the fighting, her past with Angel. Once, a couple years ago, he actually witnessed her fighting a demon. John was a little leery of moving in with Buffy, until she assured him that there weren’t many bad demons in New York. Most of them just wanted to live in Soho and be in Broadway shows. John became fascinated with the occult and the things that went bump in the night. He met Giles when he came to visit Buffy. They instantly hit it off, being fellow researchers and scholars. Giles felt better leaving Buffy in New York, because she had someone to help her with research.

Dusk set in as the group of friends gathered at Buffy and John’s apartment. Pressured stillness fell throughout the apartment as the phone rang. Knowing it was William, Buffy let it ring, refusing to give an inch. Silence fell on the apartment again.

Eleven o’clock Buffy felt him approach. The tell tale signs of an approaching vampire electrified her body as he came up the stairs. Gritting her teeth, Buffy stood up, knowing this was it. The tingling in the pit of her stomach turned into a sharper pain as William neared. How did she ever get used to this? When she lived in Sunnydale she was constantly surrounded by demons that set off her internal warning system. The hair on her head stood on end as William knocked on the door. Taking a few cleansing breaths, Buffy opened the door. “William.” Her even tone should have alerted him of danger, but he ignored it. Instead, William leaned on the door jam, smiling.

“Buffy, I tried calling…” William stepped forward, trying to get into the apartment, but the barrier stopped him. Looking dumbfounded, William looked at Buffy. “What?” He knew now, his nature has been discovered and by the look of her face she wasn’t happy.

“Don’t come back here.” Buffy stood stock still as William digested her words. Her brow was furrowed and her lips shut tight as she looked at him. She was just standing inches away, but unreachable.

“How?” William looked into the room, seeing the angry and disgusted faces of her friends, he turned back to Buffy. He really didn’t care what they thought all he wanted was Buffy.

“You know, I’m not so stupid. Sure you must think I am, you waited until I’ve had a couple drinks and approached me. I didn’t have any clue I was so blitzed. I bet you all had a good old laugh at that one.” Buffy’s eyes narrowed. “I don’t want to kill you, William, but I will if I have to. Go away and don’t ever cross my path again.” She closed the door silently in William’s face. Feeling like a caged animal, William waited, pacing the hallway near the door. If she wanted to treat him that way, he’d show her.

~*~*~
Anger bored deep into William as he headed to the lair, Buffy didn’t open the door again. He stood there, listening to the hushed whispers of her friends as they tried to figure out what to do. He didn’t hear Buffy, but he did smell her tears through the door. Drusilla danced in the foyer when William burst in. Spike looked up from watching TV in the next room when he heard Drusilla giggle. Walking into the foyer, Spike saw Drusilla straddling William who was lying on the ground. “What’s this here?” Spike walked towards Drusilla who went into a fit of giggles.

“Oh, my beautiful Spike.” Drusilla reached out to him. “Our poor boy is broken.” Drusilla bent down and nuzzled William’s cheek. “The pixies were bad, Spike.” Drusilla looked up at Spike who stood a few feet away. “They told the fallen girl stories that upset her.” William started to struggle underneath Drusilla, but she kept her legs clamped down on his thighs. She looked down and growled, “Quiet, boy! Let Mummy take care you.” Looking back up at Spike, she continued, “Can’t blame the nasty girl, the pixies have told her lots of stories.” Spike came closer, looking down at William. His skin was paler that usual and his eyes were red with tears.

Flexing his jaw, Spike grabbed Drusilla off of William and lifted her up in his arms. She giggled and wrapped her arms around Spike’s neck. “Shh, pet.” Spike looked down at William who was now standing up. He looked piss poor and angry as hell. “What’s this? She figured it out, yeah?”

William watched Spike sit Drusilla down on the couch. She immediately stood back up and danced around the room. The two men ignored her graceful swaying. Shrugging William sat down on a chair, watching her move around with style. “Somehow, she knew. Hey, what’s the deal with the invitation into a home? I was in there last night, but today I was blocked.”

Spike lit up a cigarette and inhaled deeply, “Must have some witches on her side. Did a spell, I’d say.”

Drusilla looked at William, “Bad dog. Gruff.” She climbed up onto his lap and ran her finger down his cheek. “Bloody thoughts running around like the pixies.” William tried to shrug his sire off of him and looked over to Spike for help, but Spike was staring off into space. “Miss Edith says your light will be here soon, pet. Don’t fret.” Her long fingers inched their way up to William’s head and threaded though his hair. “Bad, pixies, aren’t they?”

William looked at Spike again, silently pleading for him to control Drusilla, but Spike just watched as Drusilla straddled William. “How do I reverse it?” William pleaded. There had to be a way to get to Buffy. If he could only explain, she would understand.

“What do you want to do that for?” Spike stood up and started to pace, his cigarette already spent. “No way to reverse it, mate… it’s a reversal on its own.” Spike grabbed Drusilla off of William again. He threw her towards the couch. “Frederick!” Spike bellow sounded through the house. The minion Frederick appeared at the call of the master. “Take her up to our room and give her something to eat.” It was understood Spike meant the sedative. Drusilla whimpered and tried to hold on to the couch as Frederick and some other minions tried to get her to leave the room. Spike looked back at William when Frederick helped Drusilla up the stairs. “So what are you going to do when you get to her? Be all nancy-boy and profess your love?” William looked down at his lap. “You really think she’s going to buy that, William?” Spike sat on the couch close to William. “Look, this is what you have to decide. What do you want to do with her?” A few minutes of silence continued between the vampire brothers. “Turn her? Kill her? There’s not much else, is there, mate?” William looked at Spike curiously. “She isn’t going to accept it the way she is. You know that.”

“Why? Why won’t she just let me love her?”

“You are what she kills, William. She is what you kill.”

“It isn’t just black and white, Spike.”

“Yes it is. The last question I have for you…” Spike looked up at the ceiling, envisioning Drusilla and his life without her, “Can you live without her?”

~*~*~

Buffy sat on her rumpled bed as the morning sun started to crest the horizon. Tears leaked from her eyes as she looked around her room. Posters and knickknacks littered the tiny room. Clothes lay on the floor, wrinkled and dirty. Her life meant little in the past couple of years, a few classes here and there. Add a couple friends and outside activities and that’s all she had. She wasn’t saving the world. She wasn’t fighting the good fight until she was too exhausted to pay attention. Buffy closed her eyes, tears still pouring out of her eyes. She imagined William’s smiling face entering her room looking at her with his kind blue eyes. Suddenly his faced morphed. Growling, William stood in front of her.

With a startled breath, Buffy sat up in her bed. It had been a dream. William wasn’t in her room. William was out there… somewhere, waiting for her.

a/n: Oh... and the plot is thickening. What does WIlliam want and will he get it? Reviews encourage me to keep on posting.