Chapter 6
The lair that the vampire family chose was not a typical lair. The large house was clean and fully furnished with modern furniture. The walls still smelled of fresh paint. William climbed up the large front staircase, humming to himself. The only thing that would make tonight even better would be carrying Buffy’s unconscious body up the stairs with him. William could picture the two blood red pricks on her neck, he imagined the slight smear of his blood staining her puffy lips. Lost in his musings, William almost ran into Spike on the second floor. “Oi, what the fuck do you think you’re doing?”

William stepped back from his brother. “Spike, sorry, didn’t see you.” He shifted his weight to one foot and then the other. William could smell the sedative Spike must have put into Drusilla’s blood. Lately, Spike has had to sedate her because she would try to walk into the sunlight while everyone was sleeping. The whole family was getting desperate to keep Drusilla happy.

Spike’s mouth split in a grin smelling the intoxicating slayer musk on William, “So, mate. Still coming down from the high?” Spike wrapped one arm around William’s shoulders, almost in a proud fatherly gesture. “I was on it for almost a month, my first time.” The pair started to move down the hallway towards William’s quarters.

“First time? What?” William was perplexed; Spike knew that he wasn’t a virgin. “I’m not high. Actually, I’m still hungry. Probably go down to the kitchen and get something quick.”

“Hungry? Shit, I wasn’t hungry for weeks. Guess they don’t make the Slayers like they used to.” William stopped abruptly and looked at Spike.

“Slayer? What’s a Slayer?”
~*~*~
Twenty minutes later in the living room the two men sat in big chairs facing each other. William was drinking his fresh warm blood from a pilsner. Spike sat back and relegated William with his limited knowledge of slayers. “So you are saying that there is one girl in all of the world that is given powers to fight evil?”

“I’ve been saying that for thirty minutes, you wanker. YES! One girl fights the demons, dies, and another one is called. They even have a handbook about it.” Spike said yet again.

“I don’t get it, why haven’t I heard of a slayer before?”

“Didn’t need to know about her, did you now?” If it weren’t for the topic, Spike would be tired of talking to William, sometimes he was just too dense, but slayers were one of Spike’s favorite past times. He had killed two already. The knowledge that one was alive in the same city, made him very happy.

“So, what she’s like a super hero for humans?”

“Pfft, please. Super hero, my ass.” Spike sat back in the chair and crossed his legs. “They get the calling when they are fifteen or something. I guess they are infused with strength and agility. So how do you know this bird, if you didn’t know she was the slayer?” Spike was amazed that William knew the Slayer.

“She was my best friend.” William whispered and looked down at his hands.

“Didn’t see her at your funeral, must not have been too friendly.” Spike scoffed.

“She didn’t know about my mom before it was too late and by the time she found out… well you know.” William gestured around him. “She moved after freshman year in high school. God, she was the best friend anyone could ask for. When I met her I was this shy kid that couldn’t put two words together in front of a girl.” William looked up at the ceiling with fond memories. “Gave me my first kiss.”

Spike eyed William and realization finally dawned, “You love her!”

“What?” William looked down at Spike who had vamped out in his realization.

“You love the bloody slayer.” Spike whooped out a laugh. “That’s classic, mate.”

William was starting to get angry. How dare Spike judge. “What’s your problem? So what if I love her. She was the best thing to happen to me.”

“Nothing, except it’s bloody unnatural. You’re a vampire. She’s a vampire slayer. Unnatural!”

“So? Aren’t vampires unnatural? I don’t see the big deal.” William sat back in the chair, crossing his arms, and pouted. This wasn’t the way this conversation was supposed to go.

“The big deal is she’s going to find out and you will have a dusty end. Drusilla won’t be too happy with that. I have a hard enough time keeping her happy as it is.”

“That’s not true!” Spike didn’t know what he was talking about.

“It fucking is, mate. Look, her calling is to kill creatures like us, like you. The minute she finds out. Scratch that, the second she does, you better be watching for flying pieces of wood.” Spike was very satisfied at this turn of events. Even if he was telling the truth, playing with William’s mind was always fun.

“No, she’ll love me, just like I love her!” William stood up defiantly. “She kissed me tonight!”

“Sit down, mate.” William glared at Spike, but still did as he was told, “Look, don’t want to piss on your parade, actually yeah, I do. She’s the slayer, the chosen one,” Spike turned his voice deeper, more sinister, “She alone will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. She is the Slayer. And all that drivel. How old is the bird, anyway?”

“I think twenty two. Her birthday is coming up.”

“So she’s been a slayer since?”

“Don’t know.”

“You said you knew her when she was fifteen? Notice anything different about her?”

“What do you mean?”

“Hanging out with weird old guys? Disappearing after the sun goes down? Tired during the day?”

“Not really. Oh there was this one guy, Merrick that wouldn’t leave her alone. And she kind of got kicked out of school at the end of her freshman year. She lit the gym on fire.” William thought back to those years. Maybe she was a slayer all those years ago.

“Any explanation?”

“Not really. Her mom moved her and her sister shortly after that.” William sat thoughtfully and said to himself, “Why wouldn’t she tell me?”

“That’s when you two lost touch?”

“Yeah.”

“Seems to me, little miss slayer was the Chosen One way back then.” The two men sat quietly, thinking things over. “So what’s she doing here in the Big Apple?”

“School. She’s about to graduate in visual arts or something like that. She always liked art and drawing.” William sat back thoughtfully. “I think her mom bought an art gallery where they moved to.” William stood up and started to pace. “Why didn’t she tell me, Spike? I mean best friend here!”

“Slayers are supposed to be secret so no one knows and goes after them. Of course, us demons can spot her out of a crowd of a thousand. Got tingly feelings and all.” Spike’s knowledge included on how to kill slayers, nothing about their private life. They were nothing more than a delicacy.

“Tingling feelings?” William stopped his stride and looked over at his brother.

“Didn’t you feel anything, mate?” Spike rested his arms on his knees. “Like you knew she was different?”

“Buffy has always been different, special.” William shrugged his shoulders.

“Buffy? That’s rich, her name is Buffy?” Spike sat back, laughing.

“Shut up, Spike.”

“So, did you do her?” Spike knew he was treading a thin line, but it was so funny seeing William like this.

William confidently strode over to Spike and grabbed his neck, lifting him out of his chair, “Don’t speak about her that way!” Spike struggled and William set him back down. William knew Spike was older and stronger, but he had to defend Buffy’s virtue.

“Come on, mate.” Spike rubbed his neck. “She’s like about to graduate from college, you don’t think she’s a virgin, did you?”

“Shut up,” William growled. “How would you like someone talking about Drusilla like that?” It was Spike’s turn to growl. “How about her and her daddy? Would you like that?”

“Shut up, you don’t know nothing!” Spike slowly stalked closer to William.

“Exactly! Don’t talk about Buffy that way.”

Spike seemed to concede. “You planning on turning her?”

“Has a slayer ever been turned?” William didn’t answer the question. This new information put a damper on his plans.

“Not that I know of, but there are stories of one turning crazier than Drusilla.” Spike looked up where he knew Drusilla was sleeping. “But the thing was her sire fell under some sort of spell, taking care of her. He took care of her and every minion or Childe in that family fell under her spell too, taking care of her. They lived for over a millennium until she killed everyone in the family. With no one left to take care of her, she died too. Don’t know if it is true. Seems to be risky if it is.” Spike sat quietly for a moment, “So planning on turning her?”

“Don’t know. I don’t know.”

tbc

a/n: Can you here the cliff hanging music? I certainly can... stay tuned and I will update tomorrow.