So much Spuffiness, so little time...


________________________________________________________________________





Spike rolled over, reaching out blindly for his love. His hand searched and searched, but the empty expanse of air was all it found. He was jolted awake when it fell upon the cot with a thud, no warm body to prevent it’s fall. He opened his sleep covered eyelids and looked around. No Buffy.

He sat up, briefly thinking that last night had all been a really nice dream and now he was finally coming back to reality. He began to panic, but when his bright blue eyes landed on the pile of clothes that lined the cement floor, his body relaxed once more. It wasn’t just a dream, it had been real. Buffy came to him last night, they made love, and she confessed her love to him, even if she didn’t realize he heard her. It all had been real.

Standing up, the blonde vampire hurriedly snatched his discarded clothes off the floor and threw them on. A muffled voice from up stairs could be heard and Spike guessed that Buffy was in the kitchen, so he quietly made his way up the creaking stairs. He didn’t bother to check the nightstand drawer, that was supposed to have the amulet concealed in it.

“Buffy?” He whispered softy, opening the door only part way. When he received no answer, he preceded through the entry and into the hallway. Making his way to the kitchen, Spike observed his surroundings. Girl upon girl lined the living room floor, sleeping peacefully. Small specks of light shone through the windows, letting Spike know that dawn was near. Not that he didn’t already know, vampires could sense that kind of thing.

He entered the kitchen and almost fainted on sight. There was his slayer, standing in front of the island counter, where his amulet lay unceremoniously amongst empty boxes of cookies. She had a rather large hammer in her hands, gripping it tightly. She didn’t even acknowledge that anyone else was in the same room with her. She cocked her arm back, high above her honey blonde head and Spike instantly knew what her intentions were.

“Buffy, NO!” He shouted, just as she brought the large slap of metal, attached to a wooden handle down. It hit the glistening jewel with an unforgiving crack, smashing the crystal into thousands of tiny little pieces. A golden light shone briefly, but soon dissipated. The glass pieces scattered everywhere; On the table, the floor, bouncing in the sink, in her hair and one piece hit the vampire’s bare foot.

She looked up at him, eyes wide and full of surprise. She had been caught. Well, of course you’ve been caught, damn noise probably woke up everyone within a forty mile radius, your moron! “Spike!” She squeaked, seeing the disbelieving look in his icy blue orbs.

He just stared at her, speechless. She had destroyed it. She had destroyed the only defense they had going for them, if Red’s spell didn’t work. She had destroyed his amulet.

“What the BLOODY HELL did you do?!” He screamed, his own eyes wide with anger. Buffy looked frighten for a moment, but then regained control of her emotions and was finally able to find her voice.

“I had to.” She tried her best to explain, hazel eyes pleading with him to understand. “I just had to, Spike. Angel said this thing was dangerous, that it could do harm to the wearer and I don’t want you to get harmed in anyway.”

“You didn’t have to do this! Buffy, I already told you that I’ll be okay, you didn’t have to worry.” He said, trying desperately to get a hold of his anger.

“But I had to be sure, I had to-” But Spike cut her off.

“You didn’t have to do this!” He repeated his words to her.

She looked at him seriously. “Yes I did.”

“No! No you didn’t. Buffy that amulet was the only thing we had going for us. Without it we’re pretty much screwed.” He said, heatedly.

“That’s not true!” She told him. “Willow’s spell will get us through this.”

“You don’t even know if the soddin’ spell will work, luv!” He cried, exasperated. Why didn’t she get it?

“It will!”

“You said you didn’t regret giving it to me.” The vampire pointed out, disappointed. His crystal blue eyes bore into hers.

“I don’t, but I don’t want you to get hurt either.” She said, calmly. “I love you.”

Spike’s brain barely registered that she had openly admitted that she loved him. He was way too frustrated with what she had just done, to even comprehend such a thing. They were going into battle today. Probably the most brutal battle any of them had ever faced before, and they were most likely going to lose. Spike was sure that if he had the amulet that he could help prevent the world from ending, but without it, he was useless. Just another fighter in an army made up of two slayers, a witch, a watcher, a principal, an ex-demon, an ex-key, a whelp, and a bunch of little girls who had barely hit puberty. No, the odds, sure as hell didn’t fall in their favor.

He was about to tell her that he understood where she was coming from, when the room was suddenly filled with a large group of teenage girls who had heard the disruption and thought that they were being attacked again. Buffy tried as best she could to calm them down, but to no avail. When she had finally explained what the commotion was, Spike was nowhere to be found. She really hoped that they would have a chance to talk before they headed out to the school.

________________________________________________________________________