“Faster! They’re starting to gain on us.” Buffy commanded. She was running with everything she had, fighting with her last ounce of strength. The others followed closely behind. Dawn and Vi held each other up for support, while Spike carried Willow in his arms. Giles and Kennedy held together the last of the line, taking out any Ubervamp that gained enough distance to catch up to the fleeing group of fighters.

They had decided that they should go back to Buffy’s house, once everyone who was alive was counted for. It probably wasn’t the safest of places to go, but it was the only place that had spare weapons stashed away. The deserted town was crawling with Ubervamps and the last of the Scoobies were running out of places to run to. Buffy’s house was the only answer.

They finally managed to reach the house and quickly went inside, locking the door shut behind them. The trailing vampires banged furiously on the doors and boarded up windows, trying to get inside.

Dawn collapsed on the couch, Vi following close behind. Spike gently deposited the now very much awake Willow against a wall, making sure that she was able to hold herself up before, walking over to Buffy. Kennedy and Giles remained close to the door, in case it gave way from the powerful blows the Ubervamps threw on it.

“You alright, pet?” Spike asked Buffy, causing her to jump in surprise. She had looked deep in thought, as if trying to think of a way to fight back.

She looked up to his shinning blue eyes, her own filling with tears once again. “I think I made a mistake.” She confessed, realizing that they could have benefited from the amulet. She knew now that he had been right, they did need it, now more than ever. Buffy especially needed some comfort and reassurance right now. But Spike didn’t respond, just brushed a damp strand of hair from her face.

“Oh God, Buffy!” Giles called from the other room. The slayer and her vampire ran into the living room to find her watcher kneeling in front of the couch, a very pale looking Dawn sprawled out on it’s soft cushions.

“Oh no!” Buffy breathed, the color in her cheeks leaving immediately. Her little sister was dying, and she was helpless to stop it. “Oh God, please no!” She sobbed, collapsing into the waiting arms of Spike. Her held her tightly as she cried. “She can’t die. She CAN’T!”

She was so broken, so beyond tired, and all she wanted to do was get this fight over with. It was just too much, all the fighting, and bleeding, and crying, and dying. She just wanted it to be over, no matter what the outcome. She had already resigned herself to the fact that they were going to lose, they were going to die. What did it matter if they continued to fight or not?

Still, she couldn’t bring herself to just give up, just stop fighting. Maybe it was the slayer in her, but she still had the tiniest bit of hope left, that told her that she shouldn’t stop fighting, no matter how bad it got.

Spike knew he had to come up with something. Everyone one them was dropping of one by one. They were definitely losing. His slayer trembled in his embrace and his eyes fell upon the almost lifeless body of Dawn. His little Nibblet. She was going to die. It would tear Buffy apart. It would tear him apart. His mind was in overdrive and he was frantically trying to think of some way to fix this.

Just then, the boarded up window became not-so-boarded anymore, and Ubervamps clawed at the wood viscously, trying to get in. Buffy moved out of his arms and quickly leapt into action. She fought them with everything thing she had, every ounce of pain she had acquired while watching her friends die, every bit of slayer strength she had in her tiny little body.

The others fought along side her, doing everything they could to keep the demons at bay. Spike however, did nothing to fight back. His brain had begun to form a very plausible plan in the few minutes it had begun to think. It was very risky, but it wasn’t like he wasn’t used to risky, now was it? He could make it work. He was sure of it. He would just need a little help from the Witch.

~*~*~*~

“So you can do it then, help me make this thing work?” Spike asked hurriedly.

Willow looked worried for a moment, but then replied. “I think so, but I can’t be absolutely sure. I’m weak right now from the big slayer spell I preformed not only an hour ago, but I’ll try by bestest.” She said thoughtfully.

“Well, then we’d better do this quick. Some of the soddin’ buggers are starting to get in.” The vampire informed the redheaded witch. She knew he was referring to the crowd of Ubervamps that the others were still fighting vigorously. They kept on coming, one after the other.

“Alright, lets get you to those oracles.” She said, puffing out her chest, and preparing to start the spell. She hoped against all hope that this would work, and not end up making both of their heads explode.

Spike watched as she closed her emerald green eyes and chanted a few words he didn’t understand. A dark blue cloud started to form around her small frame. It then moved, and made it’s way to him, engulfing him in it’s thick interior. Spike felt a wave of pure dark magic and his body started to shake with the intensity of it all.

Willow’s eyes shot open and locked with his. A silent connection of magic passed between the two and the last thing Spike remembered before everything went black, was the piercing scream, in a voice that sounded a lot like Buffy’s, echoing throughout the entire house.

________________________________________________________________________