Spike awoke in the same spot he had been when Willow had cast the spell. The sounds of fighting raged loudly from all around him, and his vampire sense of smell detected the coppery scent of blood in the air. He quickly stood, briefly noting the small tinge of pain that ran up his spine at the sudden movement. Soddin’ trip takes a lot out of a fellow. He thought.

Sensing that the woman that he loved was in danger, he quickly made his way from the kitchen into the living room. Some time must have passed since he had left to see the oracles, because he noticed that the hoards of Ubervamps that the rest of the Scoobies held at bay had now overpowered them and had begun to enter the house. Spike watched as one came running through the front door and knocked the watcher over, sending the weaker man to the floor. Three jumped through the opening in the boards that covered the windows, and five more followed close behind.

He saw that Dawn’s body had turned a deathly shade of blue, and he couldn’t pick up a heartbeat, even with his enhanced vampire hearing. Willow and her girlfriend, Kennedy, he thought her name was, were busy doing all they could to dispel two of their own vamps, but Spike noticed that they were quickly being overpowered. The redheaded slayer, Vi, was holding her own against one of them, but could not get it to stop blocking he punches long enough to stake it.

Spike sighed visibly when he finally spotted his love. She was helping Giles to his feet and trying to guard off as many Ubervamps as she possibly could. The blonde vampire noticed that she was bleeding more than she had been before he left. The small cut that marred her forehead was split wider and a line of crimson ran down her cheek. She was holding her side tightly and Spike’s eyes caught the barest sight of a stab wound. She was visibly weaker.

A vamp suddenly rushed him from behind and they both rolled to the floor. Spike got the upper hand and landed a hard punch square to the bloodsucker’s face. He grasped it’s throat and twisted, breaking the head clean off and it turned to dust before his eyes. He then stood up and joined the fight.

Buffy hadn’t seen Spike enter the room and thought him still in a trance in the kitchen. Willow had explained what kind of spell they had preformed and the blonde slayer hoped against all hope that something good would come of it. Anything but what was happening here.

She swung her scythe masterfully, decapitating one vamp after the other, and yet they still came. She was exhausted, and bleeding, and readying to cry her eyes out. But fought she did. She fought for her fallen friends, the hundreds of potential slayers that would never fight again, for the lives that had yet to be taken, and for herself. She staked and she decapitated until there was nothing left.

Giles had barely spoken since Dawn’s body finally gave out. He thought of Dawn as a daughter, and his heart bled for her. He was scared that the same would happen to his slayer, and it pained him to no end. The rage that filled his body was the only thing that steered him on.

Willow was beginning to feel very sick. He stomach was tied so tightly in knots, she thought she might throw up. Their was no energy left in her fragile little body to do anymore spells, so the only thing she could do to help was fight. So she fought. She fought like she had never fought before. She raised her ax above her head and prepared to swing it with the last of her strength, but was suddenly knocked to the floor by a brutal punch to the side of her face.

Seeing this, Kennedy lunged at the Ubervamp and punched it furiously. She fought well, but was no match for the other three that had come to the first one’s aide. They grabbed both of her arms and held them behind her back, while the other move in for the kill.

“NOOO!!” Willow screamed when she realized what was about to happen, her eyes widened in fear, but she was helpless to stop them when she was that weak. She screamed and screamed but to no avail. All three vamps sunk their teeth into the young girl’s flesh and were rewarded when she shrieked in pain. Willow watched as they drained the life from her lover and saw the light in Kennedy’s dark brown eyes finally die, along with her body.

Spike, Vi, and Giles rushed over to the heartbroken redhead and helped her to her feet, while Buffy quickly dusted the three vamps. The slayer looked at her best friend and cringed. All that she could see was an empty hollow look in the witch’s eyes. She was in shock.

“We should get to up stairs. Maybe barricade ourselves in a room.” Buffy suggested, while knocking several Ubervamps down with hard punches and kicks.

“Yeah, there’s too many of them down ‘ere.” Spike agreed. Buffy looked up at him acknowledging him for the first time and smiled.

“Let’s go, NOW!” Giles, shouted and all three took off at a sprint, dragging the comatose Willow with them. Buffy and Spike cleared the way and they all raced up the stairs and into the closest room, which happened to be Buffy’s. Spike was the last one to enter, so he quickly slammed the door in an approaching Ubervamp’s face and locked it hastily.

They laid Willow on the bed and Vi looked her over for any life-threatening wounds. Luckily, she found none. Spike made his way over to Buffy. He had to explain some things to her.

“Oh God, Spike!” She leapt into his arms, sighing loudly. “I’m so glad you’re okay. When Willow told me about the spell, I thought that..” She trailed off. She frowned upon remembering her best friend, who was, at the moment, in a very deep coma. She was a little surprised when Spike pulled away from her suddenly.

“Buffy, I have some good news. The oracles, they told me ‘ow to fix this.” He informed her, smiling. His smile must have been contagious, because her face started to break out into a smile, despite the seriousness of the present situation.

“How?” She asked, urgently.

“Well, I asked them for ‘elp, and they agreed, but..” He suddenly stopped.

Buffy saw this and instantly starting worrying. He smiled vanished and she looked at him expectantly. “But what?” She inquired.

“But they have to take this whole day back.” He finished.

“What?” She asked in disbelieving. “What? No! No, they can’t. They can’t do that. They can’t!” She protested.

“Buffy, calm down, it’ll be alright. It’s for the best. We just need to have the amulet and then everything’ll be fine.” Spike assured her, rubbing her upper arms in a soothing pattern.

“No, it won’t. That amulet, it-it’s too dangerous, Spike. I don’t even know what it does.”

“I do.” He said, looking her straight in the eyes. She waited for him to continue, but when he did, she suddenly wished he hadn’t.

“It will reflect the light of the sun down into the cavern, before they have the time to black it out. They all burn to a crisp, and you’re home free.”

“You mean we’re home free.” She said slowly, her mind trying to make sense of everything that had happened in the last twenty-four hours.

Spike frowned, knowing there was no easy way of telling her this. “No, Buffy. That was one of the buts. If I wear the amulet, it’ll kill me too.”

“No!” She whispered disbelievingly. “No!”

“Buffy..” He reached out to grasp her arm, but she pulled away from him.

“No.” She said more sternly. “I-I won’t let you. I won’t!” She yelled defiantly, causing Giles and Vi to look up. They watched as the vampire and slayer hollered at each other maliciously.

“Buffy, this is the only way.” He tried again.

“No! I won’t let you do this, Spike. This is my fight, you hear that, mine. Not yours.” She ground out.

“Goddammit, Buffy, listen to me! There’s not a lot of time left.” He blurted out, looking at the clock and realizing his time was almost up.

She stopped dead in her retreating, and looked him square in the eyes. “What are you talking about?” She questioned, curiously.

“My time’s almos’ up, pet. They’re gonna turn back time.” He said, reaching for her again. This time she didn’t pull away, and he held her body against his.

“When?” She asked. He didn’t reply, but just looked away. “When?” She said louder and more aggressively.

“Another minute.” He whispered, only loud enough for her heart to hear. She pulled back slightly, still remaining in his grasp and turned towards the clock on the nightstand next to her bed. One minute. That’s not long enough! Her mind screamed.

She didn’t know what to do. If she just let this happen, let them take back this whole day, she could have everything back, her friends, the slayers, her sister...everything but the man she loved. She could got everything she’d lost back, by giving him up, and frankly, Buffy wasn’t sure she was prepared to make a choice like that.

The second hand on the clock ticked on, unmercifully, unyielding to Buffy’s silent prayers for it to stop. There was nothing left for her to do now. Nothing left but to cry.

So she cried.

“A minute?” She asked though the cascade of tears that streamed down the slope of her flushed cheeks. “No! No, it’s not enough time!” The blonde slayer was hysterical. She looked up at the blonde vampire, hazel eyes locking with blue. She saw the same emotions that she was feeling in them. He didn’t cry, but she knew he wanted to.

“We don’t have a choice. It’s done.” Spike said, trying with all his strength to hide the raw, painful emotions, that were bound to show in his voice.

“How am I supposed to go on living my life knowing what we had? What will stop me from doing the exact same thing. From destroying the amulet again?” She asked, pleading with him to stop this.

“I will. You won’t be able to remember anything. No one will know what happened but me.”

She stared at him, eyes wide and unfocused. Her hand came up to cover her disbelieving gasp, and she sobbed harder. She was trying so very hard to understand, she really was. But it was just too much. Not only did he have the oracles take back the day they had spent together, but he had them take away her memory of it too? That wasn’t the fair.

“Everything we did.” She breathed, realizing what was going to happen in a minute. She stole a glance at the clock again. No, thirty seconds, only thirty more seconds!

“It never happened.” He told her.

“It did. It did. I know it did!” She sobbed, fingernails clawing at his shirt to hold him near. “I felt you inside me.”

The thumping on the door thundered throughout the room, but neither the vampire, nor the slayer noticed anything but the other. Buffy was vaguely aware of Giles’s calls for help, as he put all of his weight on the door to hinder it from opening. Vi prepared for one last encounter with the Turok-Han. She was sure she would go down fighting.

Spike’s unbeating heart broken in his cold chest at the sight of his slayer in tears. She really didn’t want to see him die. He looked into her hazel depths and finally, truly believed the three words that she had spoken to him. She really did love him.

Bloody hell! Life was such a rapid bitch! It took everything you held dear and ripped it away from you. The PTB must be laughing their soddin’ arses off up there! Spike was sure of it. They were ripping his heart out of his chest and stomping on it as gently as they could and telling him to choose between the world and the love of a woman who was finally able to love him back.

“Buffy..” He whispered, pulling her to him again. They both peeked at the clock, a dreadful expression on both their faces, realizing that they only had ten seconds. Ten more seconds and nothing would be the same.

“Oh God.” She sobbed into his chest, wetting the black material with her salty tears. “It’s not enough time.”

Not knowing what else to say, Spike just held her and whispering soothing words into her hair, the vanilla scent lingering to his nostrils. He breathed in her delicious scent with each word her uttered to her. “Shhh, it’s alright, Buffy. I love you.”

She sobbed harder, and then kissed him with a fiery passion. It truly fit the description of

‘the-very-last-goodbye-kiss’, and that thought alone made both of their hearts hurt. This was the last time. The last time.

“I love you, too. God, I love you so much. I won’t forget you, I won’t.” She mumbled into his mouth, kissing him again. “I won’t forget you, I won’t.”

The second hand on the clock moved one last time, pointing it’s little arrowhead to the number twelve. The two lovers held each other tightly, knowing what was to come. As they whispered sweet adorations into each others ears softly, the door was flung open roughly. Giles flew backward, hitting his head on the corner of the four-poster bed and being rendered unconscious. Vi swung her ax down and killed two Ubervamps in one hit, but was quickly tossed aside, as the demons made a play toward the two embracing warriors.

One picked up Vi’s discarded ax that lay unnoticed on the carpet-covered floor. It cocked it’s arms back and swung it down ready to take down the slayer and her mate. Suddenly a blinding white light flashed, engulfing the entire room.

And then all was black.

A/N: So dialogue was borrowed from "I will remember you" from season one of Angel